THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What arcs or characters would you prefer to see as the focus? (Choose THREE Options)

Marten & Claire
- 3 (2.5%)
Dora & Tai
- 6 (5%)
The Secret Bakery Crew (Jim, Elliot and Renee w. Sam, Roko and Brun guest-starring)
- 9 (7.4%)
Roko and her search for meaning (including Beepatrice, May, SpookyBot & others)
- 15 (12.4%)
Union Robotics (Faye & Bubbles w. Punchbot, Sam & other customers looking in)
- 16 (13.2%)
The Old Apartment (Marten, Faye, Bubbles, Claire & Pintsize)
- 9 (7.4%)
The Voyages of Hannelore
- 20 (16.5%)
Roko, Melon & Elliot's interactions in their apartment complex (with Arthur and SpookyBot looking in)
- 3 (2.5%)
Dale, Marigold, May & Momo's domesticity
- 5 (4.1%)
Back to the Library (Marten, Tai and Momo and possibly Claire, plus the students)
- 2 (1.7%)
Coffee of Doom (Dora, all the barristas and their significant others as well as random customers)
- 8 (6.6%)
Steve & Cossette
- 2 (1.7%)
Penny & Wil
- 4 (3.3%)
The Brun-Elliott-Clinton-Roko axis
- 16 (13.2%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4031 - 4035 (24th to 28th June 2019)  (Read 37833 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Re: WCDT strips 4031 - 4035 (24th to 28th June 2019)
« Reply #150 on: 30 Jun 2019, 05:29 »

What's not to like about a fighter built around a monster of a Gatling cannon?

It's as ugly as sin and has the performance of a particularly obese bovine. Heck, the design makes a virtue of its ability to soak up ground fire because it can't dodge!

Give me something sleek like a YF-23 or a Su-27 any day! 8-)

https://www.2951clss-gulfwar.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/6

" Wheels up, hard stick landing after being hit by a SAM. Everyone said it couldn't be done, including the Flight Manual's and Tech Orders... pilot Capt Rich Biley proved'm wrong on 22 Feb 1991! He brought 79-0181 in at King Khalid Military City (KKMC), Forward Operating Location (FOL) 1 where the CLSS team stripped it of parts, some send to King Fahd International Airport (KFIA), Main Operating Base (MOB) for use on other birds, and then buried it in the desert. Capt Biley was unhurt during the crash."

Direct hit from an SA-9

Susan Biley now flies Comair jets.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #151 on: 30 Jun 2019, 07:12 »

" Wheels up, hard stick landing after being hit by a SAM. Everyone said it couldn't be done, including the Flight Manual's and Tech Orders... pilot Capt Rich Biley proved'm wrong on 22 Feb 1991! He brought 79-0181 in at King Khalid Military City (KKMC), Forward Operating Location (FOL) 1 where the CLSS team stripped it of parts, some send to King Fahd International Airport (KFIA), Main Operating Base (MOB) for use on other birds, and then buried it in the desert. Capt Biley was unhurt during the crash."

Direct hit from an SA-9

As Darth Vader once said: IMPRESSIVE.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #152 on: 30 Jun 2019, 09:02 »

People attracted to danger, people attracted to power, and people hoping the friendship would pay off in some illegitimate way.

EDIT:

How much would a zero-interest loan really help someone like May? She'd still have the stigma of a conviction and still face prejudice against robots. She'd then be faced with making payments on a not-cheap chassis out of minimum wage or not much better.

At least it would solve the credit rating problem and free her from the ball and chain of end-of-life repairs.
The analogous statement from an optimistic meatperson would be, "At least I have my health."  So, yeah, there's an equivalent real/human world start over point.

Now, getting May to an epiphany such that she'd take that kind of optimistic view of the world is going to require some writing on Jeph's part.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #153 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:02 »

This may have been covered earlier, if so please direct me. 

The longer we see May interact with people, the less she seems to care about her body.  See 4030 when she and the tech agree about being a fighter jet and Roko has to tell them to focus.  In fact, May seems to be the only AI with a willingness to ditch her current form for some other form.  Momo and Winslow upgrading aren't really good examples because they had the option to pick a new body; it took Winslow two tries to get one he liked.  All of which leads me to wonder: What was May's original form?  Anything canonical that's not in-story available?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #154 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:01 »

And another warthog story with similar ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nUhDvcGXgs 

I'm sure May is more interested in something like this: https://www.military.com/video/boeing-unveils-unmanned-fighter-drone
This space intentionally left almost blank.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #155 on: 30 Jun 2019, 13:05 »

Poll Results Post
What arcs or characters would you prefer to see as the focus?

1. The Voyages of Hannelore - 20 (16.5%)
=2. Union Robotics (Faye & Bubbles w. Punchbot, Sam & other customers looking in) - 16 (13.2%)
=2 - The Brun-Elliott-Clinton-Roko axis - 16 (13.2%)

4. Roko and her search for meaning (including Beepatrice, May, SpookyBot & others) - 15 (12.4%)
=5. The Secret Bakery Crew (Jim, Elliot and Renee w. Sam, Roko and Brun guest-starring) - 9 (7.4%)
=5. The Old Apartment (Marten, Faye, Bubbles, Claire & Pintsize) - 9 (7.4%)
7. Coffee of Doom (Dora, all the barristas and their significant others as well as random customers) - 8 (6.6%)
8. Dora & Tai - 6 (5%)
9. Dale, Marigold, May & Momo's domesticity - 5 (4.1%)
10. Penny & Wil - 4 (3.3%)
=11. Other (please specify in comment) - 3 (2.5%)
=11. Marten & Claire - 3 (2.5%)
=11. Roko, Melon & Elliot's interactions in their apartment complex (with Arthur and SpookyBot looking in) - 3 (2.5%)
=14. Back to the Library (Marten, Tai and Momo and possibly Claire, plus the students) - 2 (1.7%)
=14. Steve & Cossette - 2 (1.7%)

Well, a clear win for Hanners there! I think that the tied runners-up and the fourth place was a fairly clear result too as well as instructive about what the readership likes seeing!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #156 on: 30 Jun 2019, 20:13 »

This whole strip looks rose-tinted. It's nice-looking. Is it supposed to be sunset?
Nah, the viewer just has on lenses made from rose quartz.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cybersmurf

« Reply #157 on: 01 Jul 2019, 01:24 »

This whole strip looks rose-tinted. It's nice-looking. Is it supposed to be sunset?

I want to believe that's how Roko sees everything.

.... it's not purple enough to be the opposite color tint of The Matrix.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #158 on: 01 Jul 2019, 03:33 »

What's not to like about a fighter built around a monster of a Gatling cannon?

It's as ugly as sin and has the performance of a particularly obese bovine. Heck, the design makes a virtue of its ability to soak up ground fire because it can't dodge!

Give me something sleek like a YF-23 or a Su-27 any day! 8-)

Direct hit from an SA-9

Susan Biley now flies Comair jets.

Eeeeeep! Right in the elevator-hydraulics!  :oops:

As Darth Vader once said: IMPRESSIVE.

Most impressive ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

OldGoat

« Reply #159 on: 01 Jul 2019, 09:25 »

I want to believe that's how Roko sees everything.

.... it's not purple enough to be the opposite color tint of The Matrix.
I doubt it.  Cops tend to see everything through shit-colored glasses.  Experience quicky dyes all motives a fecal brown.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #160 on: 01 Jul 2019, 11:50 »

(Also... Roko's being a bit Hypocritajudgey, is she not? Considering her first thought in this particular saga was to dig up the dirt on May's boss...?)
But it wasn't.  Roko's first thought was to run a bluff without digging up anything.

So extortion instead?
Don't think that's much better.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #161 on: 01 Jul 2019, 14:29 »

Yep, I agree it's still blackmail.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #162 on: 01 Jul 2019, 14:47 »

So extortion instead?
Don't think that's much better.

The "x" makes it sound cooler.

OldGoat

« Reply #163 on: 01 Jul 2019, 17:01 »

It doesn't seem that huge to me.  But then again, I was educated by nuns from Boston.  (They KNEW we'd sinned.)  I guess that normalizes that kind of coercion.

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #164 on: 01 Jul 2019, 20:55 »

Of course Spookybot isn’t monitoring you, Roko.  If they were they’d be dressed like you.
Any time I hear any variant of the phrase "We are helping" uttered by a silicon-based intelligence I immediately flash back onto the Reboot episode "Enzo the Smart".  Find one of the various copies piratically uploaded to youtube and skip forward to about the 19 minute and 15 second mark.
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #165 on: 02 Jul 2019, 01:33 »

Of course Spookybot isn’t monitoring you, Roko.  If they were they’d be dressed like you.

I just noticed this post (pray my pardon). It's worth noting that this node of SpookyBot is only wearing activewear because Roko wears it sometimes. So, yeah, there would be a disturbing Single Magenta Gynoid feel to this if it wasn't for the fact that SpookyBot is struggling to understand 'normal' and 'appropriate behaviour' and has apparently decided that Roko is the template around which they need to form their perception of that concept.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up