THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Just how will Momo react to the awful truth?

"That's awful... and divergent ... and I want you to give me a 'how to' guide!"
- 17 (31.5%)
"You electronic witch! You knew he was my crush!"
- 12 (22.2%)
"You went with a human? Ewww! They have STICKY FLUIDS!"
- 1 (1.9%)
"Details. Full. Details."
- 8 (14.8%)
"I'm kind of over Bianchi now, so go wild!"
- 0 (0%)
"So, are the rumours on the Internet about him true?"
- 2 (3.7%)
"You're saying it wasn't a petting zoo? DAMN! Now I owe Dale ten bucks!"
- 6 (11.1%)
"That's why you smell of watermelon, isn't it?"
- 7 (13%)
"Are you in a relationship with a human? If so, can I arrange a time-share?"
- 0 (0%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4016-4020 (3rd to 7th June 2019)  (Read 43749 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: WCDT strips 4016-4020 (3rd to 7th June 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 05 Jun 2019, 09:56 »

How long ago in continuity did Momo meet Sven?

Poor Momo. This crush is clearly quite unrefined. Are they even remotely compatible, even now that he appears to he attempting to be less dickish?

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 05 Jun 2019, 11:45 »

I don't believe I've ever seen May contrite before. I didn't think she had enough empathy.

I'm with Castlerook; I assume that May didn't remember Sven because she doesn't think most people are worth remembering. You have to have a major impact on her life before she'll bother.

Momo's "I called dibs!" reaction is immature, but Momo's functionally a child in this area. Which feels a bit regressive since she often seemed like the adult in the Momo-Margiold Farmer relationship when she had the doll's body. I liked her better then. Perhaps Jeph's perception of Momo has made her more of a teenager now that he draws her with a teenager's body.

In any case I just see it as an area where she needs to mature, rather than some huge gaping character flaw.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #102 on: 05 Jun 2019, 11:55 »

Remember that Momo has a social protocol database that... it's implied that she has to manually query it.

Not automatically.

Additionally, it's very common that people can handle situations for other people in a detached, rational manner, but their own situations are a pile of fuck. So, Marigold's situations aren't hers, she queries her social protocol database, and deftly navigates them. Her own, she gets flustered, fails to query her social protocol database, and her emotions override her rational responses.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #103 on: 05 Jun 2019, 12:50 »

Momo is reacting emotionally.
Ah, you noticed that too?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #104 on: 05 Jun 2019, 12:59 »

She's acting just like someone whose brain was made of carbon compounds.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 05 Jun 2019, 13:16 »

I think part of May's "change blindness" reaction to Sven's hairstyle is the fact that human(oid)s aren't her biggest attraction. I'd hazard a guess that if Sven were a military aircraft, she'd have noticed immediately if he'd added on some cosmetic pinstriping. ;-)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #106 on: 05 Jun 2019, 14:49 »

I think part of May's "change blindness" reaction to Sven's hairstyle is the fact that human(oid)s aren't her biggest attraction. I'd hazard a guess that if Sven were a military aircraft, she'd have noticed immediately if he'd added on some cosmetic pinstriping. ;-)
We've been to a space station with QC.  Why not take May on an errotic field trip to the National Air & Space Museum in DC?  She'd swoon.  Several times.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #107 on: 05 Jun 2019, 14:55 »

Jesus Christ, Momo... You don't fucking have dibs on Sven. Please allow me to direct you toward Mount Everest; feel free to climb it and GET OVER YOURSELF.

Yeah, it's been hours since the comic went up and she's STILL NOT OVER IT WTF.  :clairedoge:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #108 on: 05 Jun 2019, 16:46 »

And I THINK I've found the first instance of an adult human sized AI appearing in the strip.

Nope. Off by about 1,000 strips.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #109 on: 05 Jun 2019, 16:51 »

I was hoping I was wrong a few days ago when I guessed where the "friends try to guess what May was up to" page was leading to. But. NOPE, this storyline is ACTUALLY happening. Momo getting upset that May did things with someone Momo wasn't gonna do shit with(above looking at longingly, if they happened to randomly cross paths) in a billion years, playing the victim, and more than likely, shaming May into apologizing for doing....nothing wrong. Hoo-raaaay. :roll:

And, bonus, we have people actually saying, "Yea, May was totally wrong for not remembering that guy she saw Momo show attraction to, in ONE brief moment, long ago. And yes, Momo can DEFINITELY call forever-dibs on a person, because she fell in lust with them. That's definitely not a shitty thing to do, so there!"

Ugh. My "Momo is a borderline-garbage character" senses are tingling again. The plot device never living a life of her own just happy to stand on the sidelines, 'tut-tuting' at everyone's choices. (i.e. "What!?! Bubbles was in the military?! Time for me to march down there and demand answers from a veritable stranger, I met all of one time before, about how they lived their life.") >.>

Fuck it, let's just press through these next several pages and pray the self-righteous storm passes quickly.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 05 Jun 2019, 17:18 »

I wouldn't call Momo a trash character.

The thing is, she's never really had the emotional maturity that she projects. Each AnthroPC serves as a foil for their human companion and not always "other side of the coin" kind of a foil. Take Marten and Pintsize for example. For the most part, Marten is a decent guy who does have some trouble connecting to people, whereas Pintsize is an unapologetic little arsehole who prods and pushes the limit of what people will tolerate from him. But at the end of the day, Pintsize's intentions are good, he knows that Marten needed a push and in doing so, kickstarted his circle of friends. Its just in Pintsize's mind, you can more flies with crap than you do with honey.

If you look at Marigold and Momo, you can see the friendship between them, after all, Marigold valued Momo as a person enough to purchase a new chassis. The problem I imagine is that an AnthroPC is meant more to strengthen a person's weaknesses, to bouy them in the areas lacking in their lives and to be honest, I didn't really see Momo do that compared to the other AnthroPCs (I fully admit that I might be wrong here).

The thing is, the world according to Momo should be Black and White, following a set of rules that anyone can understand. So it's difficult for her to understand how or why someone can step out of that box (the initial phases of her friendship with May, her disagreement with Bubbles' having served in the military). And she's been repeatedly shown that its not.

I imagine that this storyline is less about May and Sven connecting the USB port and more about Momo having to undergo some form of emotional and mental maturity. I mean, right there in the comic, she said she was attracted to Sven, in essence calling dibs. And yet, she never acted on that attraction or even worked up the courage to speak to him. Momo might feel upset, but the fact is that you don't get anything sitting around twiddling your thumbs and you can't lay claim to people.

OldGoat

« Reply #111 on: 05 Jun 2019, 17:31 »

And I THINK I've found the first instance of an adult human sized AI appearing in the strip.

Nope. Off by about 1,000 strips.
You're right, I'd forgotten all about the synthetic boyfriend.  Still, he was clearly a beta phase project that drew stares at that time.  By the time of Momo's chassis upgrade AIs were well integrated into the retail workforce. 

I wonder how long that represents in calendar time?  It had to be at least long enough for Bubbles to do a few years active duty and for Punchbot to establish his CPS practice.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2019, 17:54 by OldGoat »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #112 on: 05 Jun 2019, 17:39 »

Bubbles did see it at first as Momo demanding answers, but my read was that Momo had a sincere desire to understand.

I also don't like how she's interacting with May, but can cut her some slack as long as it's still short-term gut-reaction mode.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #113 on: 05 Jun 2019, 18:43 »

Comic's up. And it looks like Momo has had her epiphany. Right after having the most evil looking eyes outside of Alice Grove! :psyduck:

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #114 on: 05 Jun 2019, 19:16 »

Ugh. My "Momo is a borderline-garbage character" senses are tingling again.

I'd rather we stay well clear of labeling sentients - real or fictional, artificial or natural - as garbage. In fact, I distinctly remember us all agreeing a while back not to use terms such as "garbage person" when the issue first came up.

And no, adding qualifiers or referring to "characters" rather than "persons" doesn't actually make a meaningful difference, I'm afraid.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #115 on: 05 Jun 2019, 19:21 »

Hi, Clinton's-and-Claire's-Mom!  8-)
stePH
--

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #116 on: 05 Jun 2019, 19:33 »

Stupid head ...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #117 on: 05 Jun 2019, 19:43 »

Good to see Cosmo has found a good forever home.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #118 on: 05 Jun 2019, 20:06 »

Comic's up. And it looks like Momo has had her epiphany. Right after having the most evil looking eyes outside of Alice Grove! :psyduck:

It's  not that Mono doesn't  have the capacity to be unreasonable and assholic. She just choses not to be. Even if that's  hard.
She has the right to complain that it *is* hard sometimes though. As do we all.

I like Momo.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #119 on: 05 Jun 2019, 20:17 »

QC is sci-fi to me. Yes, it's true it's not JUST sci-fi, but it does explore situations that couldn't be explored quite the same way without the sci-fi elements.

Remember our friend the Robotic Assembly Arm? How he found love and got himself a humaniform body? And how his devotion was reciprocated to the point of burning out several USB cables? I'm happy for him, but I think this represents a Missed Opportunity since it was making AIs human-like rather than exploring their otherness. I was thinking of him when I posted "Some things that weigh two tons and are bolted to the floor have more active social lives than Bubbles". ( very early Bubbles )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 05 Jun 2019, 21:46 »

If Bubbles was in a leadership position in the service she's used to people bringing her their problems.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #121 on: 05 Jun 2019, 22:09 »

IIRC nobody knows how AIs actually work, code wise. At some point one just worked. Nonetheless, up to that point, it was developed by humans, and quite likely "in their own image", so humanlike traits are to be expected.

May lacks Impulse control, but is it possible Momo has an excess of impulse control? Mar-bear got a companion who wouldn't tease her, and would gently nudge her towards socially acceptable behavior. Couple that with a bit of Anime naive, and you get Momo.
I think that's how the Momo/May dynamic works - highly impulsive and rather crude May, and may too considerate for her own good and quite polite Momo.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #122 on: 05 Jun 2019, 22:23 »

I can say I've never done what Momo's doing/feeling.
... but unless I qualified it with, say, "this week", I'd be lying.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #123 on: 05 Jun 2019, 22:34 »

It's  not that Mono doesn't  have the capacity to be unreasonable and assholic. She just choses not to be. Even if that's  hard.
She has the right to complain that it *is* hard sometimes though. As do we all.

I like Momo.

Exactly.  It’s not wrong to feel bad and vent. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #124 on: 05 Jun 2019, 22:51 »

Something I realized and mentioned over on Patreon yesterday.

...Momo just brought Sven-related drama into Faye's place of work.

As one shoe drops, another rises.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #125 on: 05 Jun 2019, 23:26 »

I've already welcomed May to the human race this week and now it's Momo's turn. That said, I'm thinking that it is an aspect of the 'no real subconscious' aspect about which Momo has spoken to Emily about that both of them seem to have a foreground realisation of just how their personal desires and reality are not meshing right now!

Now, in panel 4, Momo has the same snake-eyes as Spookybot. Some religious folk say that, when you're having evil thoughts, the devil is in your head. I'm wondering if an AI being extremely angry lets Spookybot into their system?

Panel 6 is really sad though. It shows just how guilty Momo is feeling about her own emotional reactions and the impact it's likely to have on her friendship with May in the short term. As poor Bubbles has no context to why she's feeling that way probably means doesn't have the slightest idea on what to do or say!

Good job on spotting Cosmo on that brochure she's reading. I thought she was Claire because Jeph's redesigned the character to remove the laugh-lines around her mouth.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #126 on: 06 Jun 2019, 01:31 »

A Borzoi book rather than the specific animal. But it certainly seems like foreshadowing for something russian sighthound related.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #127 on: 06 Jun 2019, 02:55 »

Momo is smart and she's a good person. Really few people would realize self-related fundamental truths all for themselves like she just did. I like her.

It's ok to be sad...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #128 on: 06 Jun 2019, 06:42 »

Mrs Augustus is reading books about dogs, and I would even dare to say about borzois. Maybe QC's current biggest cliffhanger (in my opinion) will be solved soon!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #129 on: 06 Jun 2019, 06:45 »

Actually someone spotted it on Patreon first.  Just passing that on.  And we've never been given Mom's name, have we?

OldGoat

« Reply #130 on: 06 Jun 2019, 07:13 »

I think she out-Aliced Alice.  Our sweet Momo looks mean enough to eat her own young in that frame.

May trashers, lay the hell off.  Jeph's given us a step-by-step glimpse into her though processes.  Most meatfolk take days if not weeks to get past frame 3, and some never do at all.  That she has the insight and honesty to come to the realizations in frame 4 that she herself is the problem and in frame 5 that May really has nothing to do with it makes her a most decent person. 

I predict that Bubbles the Wise will prepare some aromatic tea.  The script details and actors may differ, but the plot remains the same - Bubbles has seen this drama before, several times, no doubt.  Whether she had any rank or not, she's a natural leader.  Other soldiers would have come to her with The Drama.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2019, 07:39 by OldGoat »

oddtail

« Reply #131 on: 06 Jun 2019, 07:14 »

QC is sci-fi to me. Yes, it's true it's not JUST sci-fi, but it does explore situations that couldn't be explored quite the same way without the sci-fi elements.

Remember our friend the Robotic Assembly Arm? How he found love and got himself a humaniform body? And how his devotion was reciprocated to the point of burning out several USB cables? I'm happy for him, but I think this represents a Missed Opportunity since it was making AIs human-like rather than exploring their otherness. I was thinking of him when I posted "Some things that weigh two tons and are bolted to the floor have more active social lives than Bubbles". ( very early Bubbles )

I agree there are places the story *could* go that could be immensely interesting. No argument here.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #132 on: 06 Jun 2019, 07:41 »

I never said that! 😮
stePH
--

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #133 on: 06 Jun 2019, 08:55 »

Now that's interesting! Are there therapeutic blends of tea that bring healing vision quests?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #134 on: 06 Jun 2019, 09:40 »

I'd rather we stay well clear of labeling sentients - real or fictional, artificial or natural - as garbage.
What about Marjory the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock? I don’t think she’d be offended.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #135 on: 06 Jun 2019, 11:49 »

I'd rather we stay well clear of labeling sentients - real or fictional, artificial or natural - as garbage.
What about Marjory the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock? I don’t think she’d be offended.
They'd better stay off the Garbage Roof over at Dumbing of Age. Up there they can be Garbage -- if they want.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #136 on: 06 Jun 2019, 12:35 »

"If you could please pop my head off and kick it into the sewer, I would be greatly appreciative."

I feel like this needs to become my standard response to every mild inconvenience.  :)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #137 on: 06 Jun 2019, 15:12 »

A Borzoi book rather than the specific animal. But it certainly seems like foreshadowing for something russian sighthound related.
You could say that she's reading fast.

OldGoat

« Reply #138 on: 06 Jun 2019, 18:21 »

Now that's interesting! Are there therapeutic blends of tea that bring healing vision quests?
Just allowing them to co-hallucinate that lovely clearing by the brook while they talk would be helpful.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 06 Jun 2019, 18:35 »

Dear Momo and anyone else judging.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #140 on: 06 Jun 2019, 19:21 »

In reference to #4020.

as if there were any doubt that Momo is Animé to the core.
Just going through life.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #141 on: 06 Jun 2019, 19:24 »

What's with the "oraoraora!"?

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #142 on: 06 Jun 2019, 19:28 »

God.
DAMN IT.
Why Jojo? Why?!?!??!
[EXPLETIVE DELETED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [CENSORED] [EXPLETIVE DELETED]
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

TheEvilDog

« Reply #143 on: 06 Jun 2019, 19:48 »

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reference, methinks.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #144 on: 06 Jun 2019, 20:25 »

Plus it's sorta a martial arts anime thing in general. *lol*

That wasn't where I expected this to go. Ha.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 06 Jun 2019, 20:53 »

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reference, methinks.

Hard to argue given the text under the comic.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #146 on: 06 Jun 2019, 20:54 »

It's not a surprise that this is Momo's favored form of stress relief. The only difference between today and her first day in a humanoid chassis is her preferred punching bag.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #147 on: 06 Jun 2019, 21:00 »

Never expected that Momo would be part of the Joestar bloodline.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #148 on: 06 Jun 2019, 21:20 »

Dear Momo and anyone else judging.

YOINK

OldGoat

« Reply #149 on: 06 Jun 2019, 21:31 »

We are culturally illiterate, Case, left behind in a changing world.  Let's go get a sasparilla and moan about kids these days.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up