THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Just how will Momo react to the awful truth?

"That's awful... and divergent ... and I want you to give me a 'how to' guide!"
- 17 (31.5%)
"You electronic witch! You knew he was my crush!"
- 12 (22.2%)
"You went with a human? Ewww! They have STICKY FLUIDS!"
- 1 (1.9%)
"Details. Full. Details."
- 8 (14.8%)
"I'm kind of over Bianchi now, so go wild!"
- 0 (0%)
"So, are the rumours on the Internet about him true?"
- 2 (3.7%)
"You're saying it wasn't a petting zoo? DAMN! Now I owe Dale ten bucks!"
- 6 (11.1%)
"That's why you smell of watermelon, isn't it?"
- 7 (13%)
"Are you in a relationship with a human? If so, can I arrange a time-share?"
- 0 (0%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4016-4020 (3rd to 7th June 2019)  (Read 43773 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Re: WCDT strips 4016-4020 (3rd to 7th June 2019)
« Reply #150 on: 06 Jun 2019, 21:57 »

What's with the "oraoraora!"?
I'm fairly sure I have seen Japanese soldiers/pilots cry "Ora ora ora" in comic booklets (from the 70s, Finnish edition/translation of Commando) depicting events during WWII. I thought it was either a battle cry (like "Banzai") or an alarm call alerting peers of a sighted enemy, or a cry to taunt your opponent. I'm prepared to be wrong about this though. They would obviously use creative license, and my recollection is not what it once was.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2019, 22:12 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #151 on: 06 Jun 2019, 22:29 »

We are culturally illiterate, Case, left behind in a changing world.  Let's go get a sasparilla and moan about kids these days.

Question from a non-murrican: sarsaparilla is something similar to root beer, right?

One of the weirder things: personally, I think Anime got popular in my part of the world due to western adoption, not coming directly from JP
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #152 on: 06 Jun 2019, 23:11 »

Well, at least Momo isn't going around, telling her friends that May is a man-stealing [[expletive]] and that they shouldn't associate with her anymore. Yes, I think that she'd literally say 'expletive' in a different tone of voice because she's installed a profanity filter.

Seriously, this doesn't surprise me. We know that Momo has a violent streak that she normally keeps on a tight leash, so we get this 'slow boil' problem with her. Beating up an innocent punchbag is probably a good thing and stops her from just reaching the point where she's tasering people at random for looking at her funny. That said, she does desperately need a boyfriend or some other way to regularly let off tension!

For the life of me, I can't tell if Bubbles' comments in panel 4 are sarcastic or serious. I have this problem a lot with her but not as much as I sometimes do with Brun!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure reference, methinks.

And, having never even heard of the animé in question, the whole thing flies right over my head.

[EDIT]
Fixed a typo
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2019, 02:48 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #153 on: 07 Jun 2019, 01:29 »

I'd rather we stay well clear of labeling sentients - real or fictional, artificial or natural - as garbage.

These people might beg to disagree.  Being Garbage is how they make their living after all.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #154 on: 07 Jun 2019, 02:56 »

You're right, I'd forgotten all about the synthetic boyfriend.  Still, he was clearly a beta phase project that drew stares at that time.
And in that arc, Faye explicitly says "AnthroPCs are one thing, but you don't see fully humanoid robots running around everywhere."
Clearly, once the humanoid robots were produced, they became a big hit almost overnight. One supposes that many AnthroPCs may have upgraded to human-sized chassis once they could do so.

I'm fairly sure I have seen Japanese soldiers/pilots cry "Ora ora ora" in comic booklets (from the 70s, Finnish edition/translation of Commando) depicting events during WWII. I thought it was either a battle cry (like "Banzai") or an alarm call alerting peers of a sighted enemy, or a cry to taunt your opponent. I'm prepared to be wrong about this though. They would obviously use creative license, and my recollection is not what it once was.
I suspect you may be thinking of "Tora tora tora" instead.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #155 on: 07 Jun 2019, 03:12 »

That is very much a live possibility! <sheepish grin>
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #156 on: 07 Jun 2019, 04:34 »

For those confused by the Ora thing, it's basically a taunt and fighting cry. 

See here:
And the first thing that went through my mind when I saw this whole strip:

Ha, Bubbles you were expecting interpretive dance....

Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #157 on: 07 Jun 2019, 04:47 »

I want to reply with Hokuto No Ken - ATATATATATATATATAT

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #158 on: 07 Jun 2019, 04:53 »

For the life of me, I can't tell if Bubbles' comments in panel 4 are sarcastic or serious. I have this problem a lot with her but not as much as I sometimes do with Brun!

Not sarcastic at all. Bubbles is clearly delighted by this turn of events.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

theMarc

• Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #159 on: 07 Jun 2019, 08:28 »

STANDO POWAH!
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #160 on: 07 Jun 2019, 09:28 »

You're right, I'd forgotten all about the synthetic boyfriend.  Still, he was clearly a beta phase project that drew stares at that time.
And in that arc, Faye explicitly says "AnthroPCs are one thing, but you don't see fully humanoid robots running around everywhere."
Clearly, once the humanoid robots were produced, they became a big hit almost overnight. One supposes that many AnthroPCs may have upgraded to human-sized chassis once they could do so.

IIRC, " Tora, Tora, tora" is associated with the attack on Pearl Harbor. it was the signal signifying that surprise had been achieved.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #161 on: 07 Jun 2019, 10:26 »

IIRC, " Tora, Tora, tora" is associated with the attack on Pearl Harbor. it was the signal signifying that surprise had been achieved.
You do recall correctly!  Back then promotional materials for the film said "Tora" meant, "Tiger."  I'm now seeing "lightning strike" or "surprise."  But I suppose getting lightning zapped or tiger pounced would be a surprise.  A very rude surprise.  I can see how "ora" could morph from "tora" or vice versa.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2019, 13:03 by OldGoat »

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #163 on: 07 Jun 2019, 11:42 »

Quick question: Momo has become this very innocent individual, but doesn't anyone remember when she was first introduced and mentioned, quite enthusiastically, that she could shoot live eels out of her [DATA EXPUNGED]?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #164 on: 07 Jun 2019, 11:47 »

IIRC, " Tora, Tora, tora" is associated with the attack on Pearl Harbor. it was the signal signifying that surprise had been achieved.  So... surprise, surprise, surprise?

(Insert Gomer Pyle gif here)
You do recall correctly!  Back then promotional materials for the film said "Tora" meant, "Tiger."  I'm now seeing "lightning strike" or "surprise."  But I suppose getting lightning zapped or tiger pounced would be a surprise.  A very rude surprise.  I can see how "ora" could morph from "tora" or vice versa.
[/quote]

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #165 on: 07 Jun 2019, 18:33 »

Question from a non-murrican: sarsaparilla is something similar to root beer, right?

That's what Wikipedia says. The only place I've ever seen it is here:

Gyrre

« Reply #166 on: 07 Jun 2019, 23:33 »

Never thought I'd get an excuse to post one of these here. CW: blood, body horror
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

OldGoat

« Reply #167 on: 07 Jun 2019, 23:48 »

Correct.  50 years ago when I asked my Granny (who I think was a class ahead of Moses in grade school) what it was she said, "That's what they used to call root beer."  Old timey thing.  Very old timey.

oddtail

« Reply #168 on: 08 Jun 2019, 04:01 »

Yeah, I encountered the name only in two places. Fallout: New Vegas and "The Big Lebowski". I don't think I've ever heard the name in any other context.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #169 on: 08 Jun 2019, 04:18 »

Regarding Sarsaparilla; from the sassafras tree.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #170 on: 08 Jun 2019, 05:46 »

It is originally made from sassafras, and some people still homebrew it that way. Commercial products labeled as sarsparilla in the U.S. these days are all artificially flavored, since it's illegal to use sassafras roots in a commercial product (they can cause liver damage in large doses).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #171 on: 08 Jun 2019, 06:42 »

[snip] Faye explicitly says "AnthroPCs are one thing, but you don't see fully humanoid robots running around everywhere."

Presumably, Bubbles spent quite some time with her squad. Because of her military backstory it would seem that fully sized humanoid robots were retconned.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #172 on: 08 Jun 2019, 06:51 »

Similarly when Marten was matched with Pintsize: https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2334

TheEvilDog

« Reply #173 on: 08 Jun 2019, 07:56 »

[snip] Faye explicitly says "AnthroPCs are one thing, but you don't see fully humanoid robots running around everywhere."

Presumably, Bubbles spent quite some time with her squad. Because of her military backstory it would seem that fully sized humanoid robots were retconned.

Not necessarily. We've seen military AI before - Deathbot, who had an ED-209 look to him. As efficient as a bipedal model is, that's still a ridiculously sized chassis to have in close settings. Probably part of the reason why he just sits in a warehouse now.

Now, when Hanners' father down the prototype chassis that looked more human, there was probably a simultaneous development for the military. Because while AnthroPCs are great for companionship...their size (or rather lack thereof) makes them kinda useless for helping handicapped people. Likewise, AnthroPCs are useless in a combat situation. But if you can create a humanoid chassis, well now you have an AI that can tend to someone in a wheelchair or with some other injury, or you now have an AI that can support troops in closer confines than previous attempts.

Nothing needs to be retconned. Technology in the QCverse makes leaps and bounds in a relatively short time frame. Just like the real world. Compare the technology of 2018 with what was around in 2013. 3D printing with plastic was becoming more common in 2013, last year we've developed a way to 3D print metal. In 2013, we discovered prenatal engineering, last year it was artifical embryos. Technology makes leaps and it does so incredibly quickly. And the truth is that the one area that usually takes on the latest technology before anyone else is the military.

OldGoat

« Reply #174 on: 08 Jun 2019, 10:19 »

Technology makes leaps and it does so incredibly quickly. And the truth is that the one area that usually takes on the latest technology before anyone else is the military.
Good point.

Gyrre

« Reply #175 on: 08 Jun 2019, 11:10 »

Interestingly enough, you're more likely to find sarsaparilla in hardware stores than in grocery stores in the 'States.
Home Depot, Atwoods, some True Value stores, and some Ace Hardwares are the places I know to find it.

Weirdly enough, those also tend to be the only places I've found Sprecher's brand pop.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #176 on: 08 Jun 2019, 19:05 »

When I lived in Wisconsin, you could find Sprecher's root beer just about everywhere. Though that may be because it's made in Wisconsin.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #177 on: 08 Jun 2019, 19:43 »

When I lived in Wisconsin, you could find Sprecher's root beer just about everywhere. Though that may be because it's made in Wisconsin.

Well, yeah, Sprecher's main brewery is in downtown Milwaukee.

Boy, now I've got a hankering for Sprechers - thanks, Cesium. :P ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #178 on: 08 Jun 2019, 19:54 »

I had actually gotten confused when writing that post because I thought it was in Monroe, but yeah, it's actually in Milwaukee. I may have initially had it confused with another brewery that is in Monroe.

And I aim to please. :-D (In fact, I'm planning on going to Madison tomorrow, and will make a stop at the root beer store in Mt. Horeb.)

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #179 on: 09 Jun 2019, 05:55 »

last year we've developed a way to 3D print metal.
3d printing of metals has been around rather longer than that.  I recall seeing 3d printed titanium components in 2013 (constructed in an Airbus factory). But yes, I agree, almost certainly the tech would have been developed in the military first.

But I think a certain branch of fandom gets far too excited about continuity. Which did you want, a precisely accurate pseudo historical construct or a good story... Also too much agonising over these things isn't a good thing. Like any vaguely science fictional creation QC has its inconsistencies and improbabilities, but if one highlights these things too much does one risk detracting from the enjoyment of other readers? And if we do that, especially if part of the motive is a degree of showing off how clever we are to spot these things, are we making the world a better place?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #180 on: 09 Jun 2019, 06:47 »

But I think a certain branch of fandom gets far too excited about continuity. Which did you want, a precisely accurate pseudo historical construct or a good story...

Or a good puzzle.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #181 on: 09 Jun 2019, 12:05 »

Poll Results Post!
Just how will Momo react to the awful truth?

1. "That's awful... and divergent ... and I want you to give me a 'how to' guide!" - 17 (31.5%)
2. "You electronic witch! You knew he was my crush!" - 12 (22.2%)
3. "Details. Full. Details." - 8 (14.8%)
4. "That's why you smell of watermelon, isn't it?" - 7 (13%)
5. "You're saying it wasn't a petting zoo? DAMN! Now I owe Dale ten bucks!" - 6 (11.1%)
6. "So, are the rumours on the Internet about him true?" - 2 (3.7%)
=7. "You went with a human? Ewww! They have STICKY FLUIDS!" - 1 (1.9%)
=7. Other (please specify in comments) - 1 (1.9%)
x. "I'm kind of over Bianchi now, so go wild!" - 0 (0%)
x. "Are you in a relationship with a human? If so, can I arrange a time-share?" - 0 (0%)

Well, that's a pretty clear result for this one! Whilst I agree that Jeph probably was right that Momo's first reaction would have been anger, I also agree that it would have been funny if she was more focussed on how May did it before it suddenly occurred to her just what this meant for her treasured fantasies.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #182 on: 09 Jun 2019, 12:06 »

last year we've developed a way to 3D print metal.
3d printing of metals has been around rather longer than that.  I recall seeing 3d printed titanium components in 2013 (constructed in an Airbus factory).

Might I suggest you read this article from MIT from last year. There they discuss how two startups in Boston have created means of small scale printing.

Vern LaVey

« Reply #183 on: 09 Jun 2019, 19:30 »

And I THINK I've found the first instance of an adult human sized AI appearing in the strip.

Nope. Off by about 1,000 strips.

Does he count? He wasn't necessarily finished.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #184 on: 09 Jun 2019, 21:44 »

Now, when Hanners' father down the prototype chassis that looked more human, there was probably a simultaneous development for the military. Because while AnthroPCs are great for companionship...their size (or rather lack thereof) makes them kinda useless for helping handicapped people. Likewise, AnthroPCs are useless in a combat situation. But if you can create a humanoid chassis, well now you have an AI that can tend to someone in a wheelchair or with some other injury, or you now have an AI that can support troops in closer confines than previous attempts.

Nothing needs to be retconned. Technology in the QCverse makes leaps and bounds in a relatively short time frame. Just like the real world.

True, but alc40 makes a very good point that there's a civilian humanoid AI appearing in the flashback scene where Marten was matched with Pintsize, which is definitely quite some time before Faye's remarks about how there aren't humanoid AIs around yet. Is she another ex-military type, perhaps? Just how many AIs tried the military lifestyle before the backlash, I wonder?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #185 on: 10 Jun 2019, 04:46 »

Yeah, I really think we can honestly say that there was at least one retcon, and probably two (one for AI civil rights, one for form factors available).

Which means that I basically treat the old comics' stances on AIs to be unreliable.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #186 on: 10 Jun 2019, 06:45 »

As I recall, the AI in the strip with matching up Marten and Pintsize had blue dermal and headphones with antennas for ears.  So, human sized but different enough to stay out of uncanny valley.  Hanners "boyfriend" was pretty human in appearance but still induced a creepy factor in alot of the cast.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #187 on: 19 Jun 2019, 21:49 »

I think there's a more recent strip where someone expresses disbelief at an AI having forgotten something by saying words along the lines of "you're a computer!", but I haven't found the strip so, importantly, I don't know if it was an AI or a human saying it.
Hey, I stumbled across it this morning! Melon forgets where she lives and Faye responds "YOU ARE A COMPUTER" (while Lemon realises that she also doesn't know where she lives). So that seems inconclusive, we know Faye's put her foot in her mouth plenty of times. But this was quite recently, so it's probably not a really offensive term in general.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #188 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:35 »

Probably not really offensive. Also probably not true, given the evidence in the panel.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #189 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:07 »

Yes, we have that information and it points in that direction.

The most recent strip I can think of showing people with silicon brains as having computer-like infrastructures was when Momo had corrupted registry files. I think it was during her chassis upgrade. That was long enough ago that it might not still be canon, but it's more recent than the strips that are clearly no longer describe the QC universe.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #190 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:02 »

I think the idea is more like the BIOS, drivers, and registry being akin to the subconscious, autonomic nervous system, and hypothalamus, not necessarily in that order. So while an AI might be able to run a self-diagnostic and tell you something like that, it’s closer to relating symptoms to the doctor than it is to reading text off the back of your eyelid.

Basically, I think the Terminator franchise and the Matrix have a lot to answer for regarding the common perception of what ‘being an AI’ is like.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #191 on: 26 Jun 2019, 13:24 »

Late reply but from a Hardware, firmware, software viewpoint the registry more than likely holds all the definitions for command structure links between the core AI and the actual hardware drivers.
My guess is our esteemed author is falling back onto the idea of Reflex Technology [original Macross] where subsystems have their own built in command and control hardware looking after the specifics of a components functions.
This way the core Intelligence says move hand from point A to point B and the hand and associated subsystems take care of the rest.

This would also explain the facial contortions and spasms  resulting from corrupted registry files.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up