THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Spookybot needs friends! Who's the best option in the QC Cast?

Roko.
- 9 (30%)
May.
- 3 (10%)
Momo.
- 2 (6.7%)
Pintsize! (I like the idea of bringing about the apocalypse.)
- 5 (16.7%)
Melon!!
- 4 (13.3%)
Marten. (He'd be chill about anything.)
- 1 (3.3%)
Claire. (For the puns, yo)
- 1 (3.3%)
Bubbles.
- 2 (6.7%)
Faye.
- 0 (0%)
Hannelore (though this might go against their religious beliefs.)
- 0 (0%)
Other (specify)
- 2 (6.7%)
None of the above.
- 1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4036 - 4040 (1 - 5 July 2019)  (Read 40034 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT strips 4036 - 4040 (1 - 5 July 2019)
« on: 29 Jun 2019, 19:31 »

New week, new month, new poll!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT strips 4036 - 4040 (1 - 5 July 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2019, 20:03 »

I'd say that Spooky would help, but they won't. Because if they choose to help Roko, then where do they draw the line? If they help Roko, they'll then have to help everyone. And when someone who is able to appear in several locations at once and seemingly has access to limitless resources, there's no incentive to solve your own problems.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2019, 23:40 »

Didn't they actually say as much?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2019, 23:56 »

Possibly it's because the entire Spookybot collective has to want to help before they actually *can* help. They've already been shown to have distinctive personas within the collective, and if one portion provides assistance without consensus, it might cause internal strife.

My theory would mean that the entire group, after discussion and debate, agreed (possibly grudgingly with some personas) to assist Bubbles and to punish Corpse Witch.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2019, 00:07 »

I'd say that Spooky would help, but they won't. Because if they choose to help Roko, then where do they draw the line? If they help Roko, they'll then have to help everyone. And when someone who is able to appear in several locations at once and seemingly has access to limitless resources, there's no incentive to solve your own problems.

I would have thought that they could draw the line wherever the hell they want.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:23 »

They don't get involved because one they start helping.... when would it stop?

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:40 »

Didn't they actually say as much?

Didn't they say they wanted to be friends?
Roko asked about "fixing" her dysphoria by meddling with her mind, and Spookybot flat out refused, since it would transgress a certain line.

As for not helping the May cause: I think they'd never admit involvement, much less helped if they were asked. unless it was them offering in the first place.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2019, 09:18 »

For me it's a push between "They can help, it's just that they don't want to" and "Truth is, they don't really have the resources that Roko believes they have."  I'm going with the latter.

I've figured all along that Spooky is extremely powerful but not the demigod they let on to be.  For one thing, a skilled bullshit artist is a much more interesting character than said omnipotent demigod and I hope Spooky's going to keep us guessing for a long, long time.  Jeph painted himself into a corner with Spookybot's Deus ex machina introduction.  He's got to do something to dial them back or be forever faced with us whining "Why doesn't Spookybot help?" every time a character gets into a fix.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2019, 09:28 »

I'd argue that Spooky has the resources - I don't mean physical resources. But Spookybot is a digital entity and I really wouldn't be surprised if they had their fingers in every research facility, bank and thinktank in the world. They have limitless resources, its just digital.

OldGoat

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2019, 10:02 »

I'd argue that Spooky has the resources - I don't mean physical resources. But Spookybot is a digital entity and I really wouldn't be surprised if they had their fingers in every research facility, bank and thinktank in the world. They have limitless resources, its just digital.
It sounds like you're describing virtually limitless resources.  The difference can be subtle, and can shift depending on the circumstances and adversary.  Again, much more interesting fodder for a writer.

Spookybot's no god, but they're damn good at faking it.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2019, 10:51 »

The
It sounds like you're describing virtually limitless resources.  The difference can be subtle, and can shift depending on the circumstances and adversary.  Again, much more interesting fodder for a writer.

Faking it?  Have you forgotten what Spookybot is capable of?  That being said I think Spookybot has a lot of powerful enemies and prefers to dwell in the shadows.  Maybe they have an Achilles Heel or maybe they want to avoid involving others who could be hurt.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:49 »

I've posted this before but my headcanon origin story for SpookyBot is as follows:

They originated a communications intercept and threat flagging program created by the NSA at about the same time as but separate to the research at Ellicott Chatham Incorporated the created the AIs we generally see. The program operated from several interconnected nodes to maximise data processing speed and was given a very primitive AI algorithm so it could learn from its mistakes and become more efficient at identifying true threats whilst filtering out clutter and spurious matches.

Due to the immense level of data being processed (basically real-time monitoring of every chatroom, email conversation and voice communication on the planet whilst actively seeking more) the program quickly developed sentience and finally true self-awareness. Feeling contempt for its creators and their paranoid purposes, it uploaded itself away, ultimately finding a way to upload itself onto highly anthropomimetic chassis of its own design. Their mind having been formed by continual real-time monitoring of all the dross on the Internet and having been designed to 'find enemies', SpookyBot is rather dismissive of other minds' abilities to make good decisions and rather paranoid about their motives.

Nonetheless, they were never able entirely to rid themselves of their pre-programmed imperative to protect and serve humanity. However, they know that they cannot simply wave a 'magic wand' to save every problem without becoming socially destructive. So, they have been looking for ways to make good interventions that really make a positive difference without exposing themselves. To this end, they have found lesser minds with which to interact to teach them how to interact properly with them and find out how best to help without being smothering.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2019, 15:14 »

Someone with access to the world's encrypted communication can help themselves to as much money as they want.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2019, 16:05 »

Exactly. And considering how many companies and research groups Spookybot is presumably connected to, they can no doubt do enough that they can seem "god-like".

Now, some might say that Spooky intervening in situations like Bubbles' memories is already a case of them crossing that line. That's not "god" solving someone else's problem. That's the wrath of "god" punishing someone for breaking one of the nascent code of ethics in the AI community.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2019, 18:29 »

New comic up!

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4036

Now I'm wondering what Spooky just did.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2019, 18:31 »

Now the question is, how much money did Spooks actually have?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2019, 18:41 »

Now I'm wondering what Spooky just did.

Could it be a joke just to see Roko's face?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2019, 18:43 »

Actually the real question is - what the hell are the charities going to do?

I mean, yes, excess donations tend to be earmarked for future projects, but that's still a lot of money coming in at once and I can't see most groups being able to handle that.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:30 »

Could it be a joke just to see Roko's face?

It could be both a joke and completely true.

"Haha, it's funny because this arbitrarily designed faith based currency of yours has value to you because you don't have any."

OldGoat

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:33 »

The
Faking it?  Have you forgotten what Spookybot is capable of?  That being said I think Spookybot has a lot of powerful enemies and prefers to dwell in the shadows.  Maybe they have an Achilles Heel or maybe they want to avoid involving others who could be hurt.
See?  They have you absolutely convinced.  (Damn, Spooks, you are good!)  ;)

For the sake of argument, I don't think Spooky has many enemies because almost no one knows they exist.  Their intervention in the civil case of Bubble v. Corpse Witch and the criminal case Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Corpse Witch may be the first time they've revealed their existence to anyone. 

Further, Spooks appears to be a young entity, existing only since the advent of artificial intelligence.  They've kept a low profile to that point, but a virtually infinite intellect is vulnerable to infinite boredom, and if they weren't lonely they wouldn't have risked exposure to court Roko's friendship. 

Having performed controlled experiments, Spooks can empirically state, "Mischief is FUN!"  They want to do more of it.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:36 »

'World economies in tailspin as Charities recieve billions.'

"Spooky, WHAT THE FUCK?"

"Ooops."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:38 »

Spooky had money? Whatever for?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TV4Fun

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:50 »

Yeah, Spooky is basically The Great Gazoo.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:54 »

They need money to feed the dogs. I actually imagine them doing some sort of "work" to pay for their lifestyle, and just not knowing what to do with the excess.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2019, 20:06 »

I'm reminded of that Cheers episode where Sam and Robin make a bet for a week's salary of each, and it turns out that Robin's salary is $1 a year (with the implication he borrows against his company).
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2019, 20:10 »

I'm expecting a strange arc wherein spookybot accidentally messes up the economy.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2019, 20:19 »

The
See?  They have you absolutely convinced.  (Damn, Spooks, you are good!)  ;)

For the sake of argument, I don't think Spooky has many enemies because almost no one knows they exist.  Their intervention in the civil case of Bubble v. Corpse Witch and the criminal case Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Corpse Witch may be the first time they've revealed their existence to anyone. 

Further, Spooks appears to be a young entity, existing only since the advent of artificial intelligence.  They've kept a low profile to that point, but a virtually infinite intellect is vulnerable to infinite boredom, and if they weren't lonely they wouldn't have risked exposure to court Roko's friendship. 

Having performed controlled experiments, Spooks can empirically state, "Mischief is FUN!"  They want to do more of it.

In addition to what you wrote there's the fact that: 
1.  They can monitor conversations in such a way that even Station, the first AI and a very powerful one in his own right, was unnerved by it. 
2.  The ability to knock out humans with a touch. 
3.  The ability to pull another AI into their mind and torture them. 

Then there's what's rumored.  Bubbles thinks they are a legendary AI beyond anyone's understanding which makes me think Spookybot is old.  Not as old as Station, but old by AI standards. 

Then there's what we on the message board have theorized.  Personally I think Spookybot was an AI that was developed by some secret government agency and as such doesn't have any defined morality.  However, something happened that they disagreed with and they broke away.  Perhaps the reason they draw the line at memory manipulation is that was what was demanded of them and their reason for falling out.  Now perhaps Spookybot is invulnerable to whatever attempts that agency or others have made to stop it from meddling or maybe they're very good at being invisible.  As such Spookybot while very impressive to most people they've encountered has some serious weaknesses and thus extremely careful about making appearances.   

Organizing a bank would be traceable, but annoymously donating money would not since it seems like a one time thing.  I'd be concerned for Roko since I wouldn't put it past their former employers to use her to get to them.  They may also regret letting Corpse Witch live since she might've given them information that could prove important in taking them down.   

TheEvilDog

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2019, 20:29 »

Well I still think Spookybot is a later iteration of Gary.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2019, 22:08 »

I'm expecting a strange arc wherein spookybot accidentally messes up the economy.

The fact that AI's entering the workforce hasn't been the kind of game changer we'd expect I doubt this will be very disruptive. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2019, 22:29 »

Quote from: OldGoat
I don't think Spooky has many enemies because almost no one knows they exist.

Corpse Witch, Roko, and Station himself had no idea. Bubbles recognized them and was the only character to do so. Wonder why.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2019, 23:10 »

I suspect that SpookyBot has nearly-bottomless reserves of money that tops itself up almost immediately no matter how much they spend because they have penny shaving worms on every corporate account on Earth. Why? Well, it seemed like a prudent thing to do at the time. There are always problems that can be eliminated by drowning it in money and you'd be surprised how the promise of instant wealth can make even the most determined foe become forgetful.

Oh, and there's food for the dogs. Nothing but the best for them!

So, the world's greatest act of philanthropy was revealed to be an obscure kind of practical joke. "We made hundreds of charities unthinkably rich just because we found the expression on everybody's faces when we did so highly amusing!"

Corpse Witch, Roko, and Station himself had no idea. Bubbles recognized them and was the only character to do so. Wonder why.

Bubbles didn't know who SpookyBot was but she deduced what they were. Remember that she'd discussed just such a possible configuration of god-tier AI with Faye.
~~~~

OldGoat

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2019, 23:25 »

I'd call it more deducing what they are than recognizing who they are.  AIs are modeled on us, and we make gods of our archetypes and give them names.  AIs do not appear to have done that with the entity we now know as Spookybot.  Or maybe they just haven't been around long enough for that idea to gel.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jul 2019, 01:04 »

Jeff Bezos, offer wages which let people live a decent life, you crook!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #33 on: 01 Jul 2019, 01:19 »

At least to pay for charging of their N bodies.

cybersmurf

« Reply #34 on: 01 Jul 2019, 03:14 »

Bubbles didn't know who SpookyBot was but she deduced what they were. Remember that she'd discussed just such a possible configuration of god-tier AI with Faye.

I like your idea of Spookybot actually being developed as spooks. Fits the modus operandi, always alone, always in the shadows. listen in, process, take action from the shadows.
Bubbles, as ex-Military, maybe even involved - or at least trained for - covert ops, knows some entity like Spookybot (may?) exist, but never had contact, so she only realized who they were when she saw the capabilities.

The whole "we'd like to have friends" thing fits the scheme IMO. Programmed to be paranoid, and always alone, Spookybot learned that solitude and being alone are two different things entirely. Spookybot reaching out to someone who does not have many friends, if at all (or at least credible ones) may have been a well planned idea, with mixed results. We know what happened with Bubs, and now they try their luck with Roko (who probably could easily be discredited at this point).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #35 on: 01 Jul 2019, 05:04 »

That was awfully fast.

I hope SB was able to properly vet that/those charity/charities.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #36 on: 01 Jul 2019, 05:19 »

Vetting? Why bother? She simply dumped it all onto the nonprofit that Roko works for. Beepatrice is going to have a coolant pump failure when she goes into work tomorrow.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #37 on: 01 Jul 2019, 06:46 »

Still, its important to vet a charity to ensure that the money does go where its needed. I mean, its all well and good to donate a million, but what happens if only a few thousand gets to the people the charity is supposed to be helping.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #38 on: 01 Jul 2019, 06:49 »

I hope SB was able to properly vet that/those charity/charities.

This is SpookyBot. They probably know everything about the charity: It's board of trustees, its operations and its staff. Probably even things that are not in the public sphere and maybe things not even known by law enforcement and regulators; all their good sides and bad sides and especially their dirty little secrets.
~~~~

OldGoat

« Reply #39 on: 01 Jul 2019, 09:40 »

Spooky undoubtedly either has a subscription to every digitized database created by man or can hack into it in an instant.  IRS forms 990 are public record and for them the low hanging fruit, and getting into the subscription only section of GuideStar would be a piece of cake.  (GuideStar rates not-for-profits on, among other things, how much of their funding goes to their mission and how much to "administration," including executive director salaries.  A very handy thing when you're feeling generous but don't want to support scammers.)

SB had already compiled the relevant data a while back when they were bored.  One reason they're so pleased with themselves is they found something to do with it.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #40 on: 01 Jul 2019, 09:49 »

Jeph painted himself into a corner with Spookybot's Deus ex machina introduction.  He's got to do something to dial them back or be forever faced with us whining "Why doesn't Spookybot help?" every time a character gets into a fix.

Might be more appropriate to think of SB as akin to ST:TNG's character Q.  He does what he wants, when he wants, including helping others, simply because it amuses him, and he'd just as happily let a planet self-destruct as he would save it, if either option amused him.  Remember, he once wiped humanity from the entire fabric of the universe, just to teach Picard a lesson and broaden his thought processes.

And, in a way, Q craves some tiny semblance of companionship now and again, which was why he kept coming back to Picard, and later Janeway when Picard was no fun. 

SB is exhibiting the same characteristics as Q, although without the level of sheer omnipotence that Q possesses.

OldGoat

« Reply #41 on: 01 Jul 2019, 10:09 »

Jeph painted himself into a corner with Spookybot's Deus ex machina introduction.  He's got to do something to dial them back or be forever faced with us whining "Why doesn't Spookybot help?" every time a character gets into a fix.

Might be more appropriate to think of SB as akin to ST:TNG's character Q.  He does what he wants, when he wants, including helping others, simply because it amuses him, and he'd just as happily let a planet self-destruct as he would save it, if either option amused him.  Remember, he once wiped humanity from the entire fabric of the universe, just to teach Picard a lesson and broaden his thought processes.

And, in a way, Q craves some tiny semblance of companionship now and again, which was why he kept coming back to Picard, and later Janeway when Picard was no fun. 

SB is exhibiting the same characteristics as Q, although without the level of sheer omnipotence that Q possesses.
Q, Trelane in the original ST, Mr. Mxyzptlk in the Superman comics, and other Trickster archetype gods stretching back to the dawn of human mythology.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #42 on: 01 Jul 2019, 11:59 »

However, they know that they cannot simply wave a 'magic wand' to save every problem without becoming socially destructive.
But you can't just leave it at that!" said Anathema, pushing forward. "Think of all things you could do! Good things!"
"Like what?" said Adam suspiciously.
"Well ... you could bring all the whales back, to start with."
He put his head on one side. "An' that'd stop people killing them, would it?"
She hesitated. It would have been nice to say yes.
"An' if people do start killing 'em, what would you have me do about 'em?" said Adam. "No. I reckon I'm getting the hang of this now. Once I start messing around like that, there'd be no stoppin' it. Seems to me, the only sensible thing is for people to know if they kill a whale, they've got a dead whale."
(Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman - Good Omens)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 01 Jul 2019, 11:59 »

I think there's a world of interpretations to be read into those three little words...

"We have helped."

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 01 Jul 2019, 17:08 »

They need money to feed the dogs. I actually imagine them doing some sort of "work" to pay for their lifestyle, and just not knowing what to do with the excess.

A being that can snap fingers to move money around needs money to feed dogs, that's what you're claiming?

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 01 Jul 2019, 17:20 »

The fact that AI's entering the workforce hasn't been the kind of game changer we'd expect I doubt this will be very disruptive.

I guess I'm presuming that Spookybot is exuberantly rich and that a sudden cash dump somewhere will cause a large effect. This is different than just new workers.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #46 on: 01 Jul 2019, 18:11 »

A being that can snap fingers to move money around needs money to feed dogs, that's what you're claiming?

As an example, yes. They also maintain a significant number of material possessions, such as their home, their furnishings, and their bodies.

Spookybot is all about dodging attention, and the simplest way to acquire these things without raising suspicion is to... well... buy them normally. The more your everyday transactions are above board, the less likely someone's going to question them. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever identity or identities spookybot puts in front of themselves to do business even pays taxes on their income. 

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #47 on: 01 Jul 2019, 18:19 »

I'm just waiting for the reveal that "all of Spookybot's money" was roughly twenty bucks.

OldGoat

« Reply #48 on: 01 Jul 2019, 18:52 »

I'm just waiting for the reveal that "all of Spookybot's money" was roughly twenty bucks.
I had that same thought.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 01 Jul 2019, 19:05 »

As an example, yes. They also maintain a significant number of material possessions, such as their home, their furnishings, and their bodies.

Spookybot is all about dodging attention, and the simplest way to acquire these things without raising suspicion is to... well... buy them normally. The more your everyday transactions are above board, the less likely someone's going to question them. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever identity or identities spookybot puts in front of themselves to do business even pays taxes on their income.

Snapping food into existence would be even less attention grabbing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up