THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 07:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Roko's had a hell of a day. How can it get worse/awkward?

Yet another apartment fire.
Still frazzled, she accidentally walks into the wrong apartment on Melon and Arthur making out (snogging).
Still frazzled, she accidentally walks into the wrong apartment on Elliot shirtless.
A SpookyBot node is waiting in her apartment and they blurt out "I love you!"
She finds out Crushbot is moving in next door.
Clinton asks her out after SB leaves.
She meets Pintsize
Beepatrice is in her apartment wearing her clothes and failing at knitting.
spathe ham
other (please elaborate)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4041 - 4045 (8th - 12th July 2019)  (Read 23914 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT 4041 - 4045 (8th - 12th July 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 09 Jul 2019, 17:53 »

Just a passing mention by one person.

We've never to my recollection seen an AI refer to ancestors before. Melon didn't find it strange to hear about them, though.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pseudowolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 09 Jul 2019, 17:58 »

Reminds me of Alec Guiness's character in the comedy "Murder By Death". He played a butler named James-sir Benson-mum. When one of the other character remarks "How odd" he says that was his father's name. How-odd Benson-mum.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #52 on: 09 Jul 2019, 18:30 »

Yaaaaaaaay!  I love them.  They are learning well how to troll Roko.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #53 on: 09 Jul 2019, 18:41 »

We've never to my recollection seen an AI refer to ancestors before. Melon didn't find it strange to hear about them, though.

The phrase, "Melon didn't find it strange," isn't really indicative of the plausibility of anything. She continues to be a walking, talking non sequitur and chaos engine. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Jeph were to reveal that she were his equivalent of Mister Mxyzptlk.

Also, how in all the possible hells does Melon still have a lease?
Quis pater tibi est?

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #54 on: 09 Jul 2019, 18:50 »

Why is melon cooking....shes a robot?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #55 on: 09 Jul 2019, 18:51 »

Why wouldn't they?  AI are mature in just a couple of years, and seem at least as capable of creating new AI as humans.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #56 on: 09 Jul 2019, 19:43 »

So pleased to see that the QC wiki has already been updated with this new information about Yaaaaaaaay "Yay" Newfriend.

https://questionablecontent.fandom.com/wiki/Yay_Newfriend

Also, thanks for that new word.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 09 Jul 2019, 20:26 »

Melon is such a odd duck you really can't use her as a measurement of what's 'normal' for QC. *lol*

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #58 on: 09 Jul 2019, 20:51 »

Spookybot just repeats what Melon said, and she didn't really notice. That's really high level of oblivion...
It at least indicates that they may not have ever planned for this.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #59 on: 09 Jul 2019, 21:04 »

...  AI are mature in just a couple of years, and seem at least as capable of creating new AI as humans.

We don't really know. The creation of new AI seems to be poorly understood and fraught with random quirks. And not something anyone can do with a few bargain basement PCs linked into a Beowulf cluster.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

« Reply #60 on: 09 Jul 2019, 21:38 »

Melon is such a odd duck you really can't use her as a measurement of what's 'normal' for QC. *lol*
But, Melon finding something strange could very well be grounds for being alarmed.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #61 on: 09 Jul 2019, 23:19 »

When I first saw today's strip, I thought that there was something wrong with my browser stopping panel 1 from resolving fully. It took until now for me to realise that it's just the entire building shaking because Arthur has blown up the microwave by trying to cook closed tins of beans in it. Again.

I agree with Roko that there is something intrinsic about SpookyBot that makes it inevitable that any major life decision they make is going to turn out to be some kind of bizarre performance comedy (at least in their own minds). People like that can be great friends as well as the life and soul of the party. They can also be fantastically wearing to be around for too long because you quickly become aware of the fact that they're always trying to set up for the next big prank!

That said, SpookyBot is still learning exactly how humour specifically works with Roko. Hence today's punchline falling flat.

Because, at some point, she'd heard that cooking meals is a 'normal' thing to do. Naturally, she never bothered to attempt to understand the context (or even question if there is a context) but she still thinks it it something she should do, even though she just throws the resulting toxic mess out every single time. If asked, I suspect that she'd be genuinely puzzled as to why anyone would expect that she she should do anything different!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #62 on: 09 Jul 2019, 23:26 »

The phrase, "Melon didn't find it strange," isn't really indicative of the plausibility of anything. She continues to be a walking, talking non sequitur and chaos engine. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Jeph were to reveal that she were his equivalent of Mister Mxyzptlk.

Also, how in all the possible hells does Melon still have a lease?

Yay's forerunners, Mister Mxyzptlk, Trelaine, and Q, are all versions of The Trickster.  We see the Trickster in Native American mythology as entities like Coyote and Raven.  Melon is clearly the Sacred Fool, stupid to the point of holiness.   In the Eastern Orthodox Christian church she'd be some kind of saint.

Sometimes there's overlap between the Trickster and Sacred Fool archetypes, but I don't see that here.  Spooks and Melon clearly demonstrate those different roles.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #63 on: 09 Jul 2019, 23:44 »

Is there some cultural significance to Yaaaay Newfriend that has failed to cross the atlantic, age barrier or my general disinterest in pop culture? I'm completely bemused as to why our author considers it his best joke.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jul 2019, 23:57 »

...  AI are mature in just a couple of years, and seem at least as capable of creating new AI as humans.

We don't really know. The creation of new AI seems to be poorly understood and fraught with random quirks. And not something anyone can do with a few bargain basement PCs linked into a Beowulf cluster.

FWIW, my headcanon is that the Singuarity was the first time an AI algorithm was created biologically by the mixing of the AI algorithms of two AIs having digital sex.

Normally, during this form of interface, the two algorithms are separated by a software firewall (the equivalent of safe sex, I guess) but these two took the risk of disabling the firewall, causing a brief merging of their core processes. Afterwards, they found that this had generated a distinct third 'child' algorithm created by a random mix-and-match of both donors' data (about equivalent to how genetic codes merge during sexual reproduction). The resulting algorithm matured in a partitioned sector of the "mother's" drive before being downloaded onto a chassis and voila! Baby synthetic.

Yes, this process is vaguely derived from the Transformers' biological reproduction process that was first hinted at in Beast Wars.
~~~~

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jul 2019, 00:12 »

P sure Jeph is just proud of having written something so aggressively silly, JimC.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jul 2019, 03:13 »

We seem to be ignoring as studiously as Jeph did the fact that Melon's dinner being ready is announced by an explosion.  I do wonder what state her kitchen's in...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #67 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:23 »

Yaaaaaaaaay Goodhumour Huzzah Halcyon Newfriend III
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

dutchrvl

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jul 2019, 04:39 »

Yaaaaaaaaay Goodhumour Huzzah Halcyon Newfriend III

Coincidentally Halcyon is actually a pretty rad first name...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jul 2019, 05:26 »

P sure Jeph is just proud of having written something so aggressively silly, JimC.

Yeah, I can't really explain why I find it funny but today's strip got me giggling. I guess it's the juxtaposition of such a serious character having fun being silly.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jul 2019, 07:15 »

We seem to be ignoring as studiously as Jeph did the fact that Melon's dinner being ready is announced by an explosion.  I do wonder what state her kitchen's in...
Michigan?

Yeah, I can't really explain why I find it funny but today's strip got me giggling. I guess it's the juxtaposition of such a serious character having fun being silly.
Well it got me to giggle first thing this morning and J hasn't made me chuckle in a very VERY long time.
Smile or a bemused smirk a few times but that's it.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jul 2019, 09:55 »

I'm more concerned about what she could be cooking that's explosive. After all, Roko bakes bread, and Pintsize eats various foods (with terrifying results).

So I have to wonder if the boom means she was cooking some kind of fuel, which a 'bot would be able to consume without causing internal distress.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jul 2019, 10:14 »

What is she cooking? Unopened tins of baked beans and whole eggs in a microwave. Because... why not?
~~~~

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #73 on: 10 Jul 2019, 10:45 »

I'm more concerned about what she could be cooking that's explosive. After all, Roko bakes bread, and Pintsize eats various foods (with terrifying results).

So I have to wonder if the boom means she was cooking some kind of fuel, which a 'bot would be able to consume without causing internal distress.

It's her family's recipe for LiPot-Roast
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #74 on: 10 Jul 2019, 11:12 »

Booo! Booooooooo! *finger hovers over 'report to moderator'*
Seriously, I'm stealing that to annoy friends.

chetoos8

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2019, 11:51 »

I dun get it

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 10 Jul 2019, 12:29 »

Is there some cultural significance to Yaaaay Newfriend that has failed to cross the atlantic, age barrier or my general disinterest in pop culture? I'm completely bemused as to why our author considers it his best joke.
In my personal case it has just cemented the notion that Spooky’s lines should all be read in Pinkie Pie’s voice. 
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

rtmq0227

« Reply #77 on: 10 Jul 2019, 13:42 »

I dun get it

(Lithium-Polymer batteries are commonly referred to as "LiPo" batteries and tend to catch fire/explode under heat and when damaged)

(also relevant: https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3644)
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jul 2019, 17:05 »

I had thought that 'Newfriend' would be an actual name irl. It seems that this is not the case. WTF, rl?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

OldGoat

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jul 2019, 19:14 »

Blast from the past.  We had an early ISP called halcyon.com in these parts long, long ago.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jul 2019, 19:33 »

What is she cooking? Unopened tins of baked beans and whole eggs in a microwave. Because... why not?

Baked spray paint cans.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #81 on: 10 Jul 2019, 20:03 »

New strip up.

It would be interesting to use this story to bring back Hanners, maybe. Several charities overwhelmed with new funds call in the counter....

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #82 on: 10 Jul 2019, 20:41 »

It would be rude if she didn't attend the wedding(s).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jul 2019, 21:13 »

It would be interesting to use this story to bring back Hanners, maybe. Several charities overwhelmed with new funds call in the counter....

That would be interesting, but I get the sense that Jeph has gone all "bored now" with her and Winslow, and shoved them out of the picture permanently to serve as one-off cutaway strips.

My guess is either more Brun/Clinton tunnel-focus next, or otherwise good ol' Marten/Claire rainbows-and-unicorns-land.  Or maybe some random new spotlight character we've never heard of before -- that's not a structure that's been tried previously, right?  :wink:
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jul 2019, 21:34 »

Marten and Claire have a lot of unfinished business and there could be some character development there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jul 2019, 23:20 »

To me, the part of today's strip that keeps bringing me back is Panel 3 and it is for this reason that I'm going to make an effort, no matter how hard it is, to call SpookyBot 'Yay' from now on. Why? Because having chosen a name is so clearly such a massively positive moment for them. I've never seen the character with such a genuinely happy smile!

Onto the rest of the strip and, is it me, or is Jeph going to a lot of effort to make Roko a human of a different colour? Her body language, how she reacts and how her hair moves when she is surprised by Melon's latest disaster in panel 5 just doesn't feel synthetic in the way he draws May or Momo. He draws Bubbles in the same way and it makes me wonder just what his long-term plans are for her.

Just who is Melon anyway? Seriously, if I were a landlord, she would have been gone a long time ago; the 'lava accident' would have been the absolute last straw! My guess is either that the apartment complex is a city- or state-owned social housing project (and some high-up bureaucrat has decided that keeping her there is less expensive than giving her a new complex to wreck) or the landlord knows Melon on a personal level and has decided to endure her damaging eccentricities out of friendship or love.

I have to say that the idea of this being a synthetic-owned apartment complex is most interesting. Maybe Tangerine is looking out for her craziest sister?
~~~~

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jul 2019, 00:05 »

So pleased to see that the QC wiki has already been updated with this new information about Yaaaaaaaay "Yay" Newfriend.

https://questionablecontent.fandom.com/wiki/Yay_Newfriend

It happened a bit prematurely (the page was renamed with #4042 being the last comic on the site), but with "And we have a name now! How delightful!" in #4044, we can probably feel certain, that this is not just a Melon gag.

Tai Fanboi

• DeadWinter
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:35 »

To me, the part of today's strip that keeps bringing me back is Panel 3 and it is for this reason that I'm going to make an effort, no matter how hard it is, to call SpookyBot 'Yay' from now on. Why? Because having chosen a name is so clearly such a massively positive moment for them. I've never seen the character with such a genuinely happy smile!

Onto the rest of the strip and, is it me, or is Jeph going to a lot of effort to make Roko a human of a different colour? Her body language, how she reacts and how her hair moves when she is surprised by Melon's latest disaster in panel 5 just doesn't feel synthetic in the way he draws May or Momo. He draws Bubbles in the same way and it makes me wonder just what his long-term plans are for her.

Just who is Melon anyway? Seriously, if I were a landlord, she would have been gone a long time ago; the 'lava accident' would have been the absolute last straw! My guess is either that the apartment complex is a city- or state-owned social housing project (and some high-up bureaucrat has decided that keeping her there is less expensive than giving her a new complex to wreck) or the landlord knows Melon on a personal level and has decided to endure her damaging eccentricities out of friendship or love.

I have to say that the idea of this being a synthetic-owned apartment complex is most interesting. Maybe Tangerine is looking out for her craziest sister?

For some reason I'm picturing an AI landlord.  I don't know why.  Maybe even a relative of Melon.  Durian perhaps...  The one with a head on their shoulders and has some business sense and, while not prone to manic moments like Melon, is "blind" to how dangerous what shes doing and thinks the "Melon Repairs" are fully normal but finds the OTHER repairs (busted pipes, clogged toilets, broken elevators) to be the things that are out of the ordinary. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jul 2019, 05:23 »

I’m pretty sure everything about Melon can be adequately explained by the Rule of Funny. Any attempt to explain her logically misses the point.

Interesting fact: we haven’t had a human character appear in QC since #4019, and then only in the background. It’s been all robots since then.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

OldGoat

« Reply #89 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:50 »

It's not having the name that's delighting Yayspooks, though.  It's that they're pleased with themselves for improvising something off the cuff and running with it so successfully as to get a reaction like that out of Roko.  They're having FUN, and they're getting the tacit approval from Roko that they've desired so much. 

"We've made her laugh!  We really are friends now!"

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jul 2019, 11:59 »

I’m pretty sure everything about Melon can be adequately explained by the Rule of Funny. Any attempt to explain her logically misses the point.

Well, that, and ironic commentary on the state of the world.

It is a tad bit ridiculous to be living in a Universe where you have to enjoy your spraypaint cans raw, no?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

OldGoat

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jul 2019, 12:14 »

Well, that, and ironic commentary on the state of the world.

It is a tad bit ridiculous to be living in a Universe where you have to enjoy your spraypaint cans raw, no?
Raw spray paint is much healthier than cooked.  I'm sure David "Avocado" Wolfe will back me up on that.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jul 2019, 13:36 »

Unless it's one of those foods where cooking releases nutrients.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jul 2019, 18:48 »

Comic’s up.

Kill it with fire.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jul 2019, 19:17 »

Yay Dora and Tai!

Hopefully the wedding prep doesn't break them up.

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #95 on: 11 Jul 2019, 21:09 »

Hopefully the wedding prep doesn't break them up.

Aw, crap.  I can just feel the Rule of Drama making its unholy alliance with Murphy's Law already.

If I have any argument about the dramatic possibility of an outright breakup, it's that they got engaged something like a few dozen strips ago -- okay, I checked, it was #3979, and then it took ten more strips after that to confirm that there was actually a "yes" involved.  Something like that doesn't get chucked overboard so quickly, especially contrasted to however long (at least a thousand strips, right?) the two were in a relationship before getting engaged.

No, this seems more likely of an arc to put them through a rough patch and come out stronger for it, which we haven't seen them do.  Or to induce some other people's relationship into a rough patch.  Possibly both, because there's no way this only involves the two of them and nobody else.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #96 on: 11 Jul 2019, 21:43 »

I'm sure that Heilung has resurrected an appropriate ancient Nordic ritual for the situation.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #97 on: 11 Jul 2019, 22:28 »

That would be interesting, but I get the sense that Jeph has gone all "bored now" with her and Winslow, and shoved them out of the picture permanently to serve as one-off cutaway strips.

Well at least that's more than what Penelope and Will get or Cosette and Steve for that matter, however, I don't think he's done with her yet and a wedding is a great way to bring a lot of familiar faces back like Raven. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 11 Jul 2019, 22:58 »

I'm pretty sure that this is just a one-off strip. I'm not expecting any follow-up next week.

That said, I do like the joke: Tai never knew how complex a wedding could be until she started reading promotional material created by corporations with a financial interest in making it complex (so they can sell you the solutions to that complexity). Everyone wants that big day in their life to be special but somehow, in modern culture, 'special' and 'expensive' have become merged!

'Fire rituals'? Well, if you can have Jedi and Klingon weddings, why not something that looks like it might have originally come out of Zoroastrianism?

I'm sure that Heilung has resurrected an appropriate ancient Nordic ritual for the situation.

I'm sure that How to Train Your Dragon 3 - The Hidden World has given birth to a tidal wave of pseudo-Viking weddings amongst the franchise's fans!
~~~~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #99 on: 11 Jul 2019, 23:19 »

Le Sigh.  Whatever happened to a nice simple blacksmith wedding?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up