THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where next for Hannelore (Select Three Options)

Count and sort everything and everyone in Northampton so she's 'up to speed'
- 13 (15.9%)
Go into the 'Spider-Basement' and deliver a hyperbolic superhero-style 'I have returned' monologue
- 14 (17.1%)
Catch up on the robot gossip via Winslow and try to respond to the fact May had sex with Sven
- 4 (4.9%)
Walk into the AI Advocacy Trust's office and basically annouce that she's taking over; Roko approves
- 6 (7.3%)
Walk into the AI Advocacy Trust's office and basically annouce that she's taking over; Roko DISAPPROVES
- 4 (4.9%)
Head out to some nearby farmland to settle her Yak friends into their new pasturage
- 4 (4.9%)
Sit down with Faye and Marten and hold on tight because she has to convince herself that they're back in her life
- 6 (7.3%)
Freak out all the rest of the CoD baristas by being very, very tactile & volunteering for WC cleaning duties
- 10 (12.2%)
Reveal her long-term crush at the end of a dozen-strip build-up, causing the forum to spontaneously combust
- 11 (13.4%)
Need to be sat down by her friends and warned to pace herself in re-acclimatisation
- 9 (11%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4056-4060 (29th July to 2nd August 2019)  (Read 36154 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: WCDT strips 4056-4060 (29th July to 2nd August 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jul 2019, 15:54 »

The thing uppermost in my mind wasn't the art, it was whether 20-somethings would have any idea that Kraftwerk existed. Oh, sure, they still exist, but has anyone paid attention since Computer World in 1981?
Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, and Vangelis are the Holy Trinity of old-school electronica. I would expect ANYONE who is into music to at least know the names.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2019, 16:06 »

Along with Jean-Michel Jarre, yes.

Why is Hanners hurting in the first panel? She's clearly wincing in pain. She grabbed her arm. Could it be RSI from all the ball-bearing sorting?
Wincing in pain ... or maybe rueful self-awareness.

Yeah, I don't think Jeph has quite nailed the expression he was going for there (IMO). I think it was meant to be a rueful smile, but it does kinda look like she's in physical pain.

Similarly, Claire seems to be giving Marten a slightly sharp retort, but as I've seen a number of times before, her expression portrays more contempt than I think was intended*.

As another example (chosen only because it is one that stuck in my head and that I could readily find), in #3025, the contempt-face in panel 2 seems over the top to me. It probably was intended in this case, but it gave me whiplash. That sequence of expressions made no emotional sense to me.

It probably explains why some people go over the top in drawing deep conflict and drama from comics with only very minor exchanges.

* But then again, you never know. If Claire and Marten do break up, we will all look back at this comic and reflect on how obvious it all is in hindsight.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2019, 16:48 »

Similarly, Claire seems to be giving Marten a slightly sharp retort, but as I've seen a number of times before, her expression portrays more contempt than I think was intended*.

* But then again, you never know. If Claire and Marten do break up, we will all look back at this comic and reflect on how obvious it all is in hindsight.

#4057 is about lack of motivation. Compare, for example, similar expressions in #3821 about lack of a budget. And in  #3508, when Claire found out about Padma.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jul 2019, 17:48 »

Yes, the lack of motivation thing is a perennial theme that was introduced in strip #1, but has never changed and probably never will, like Charlie Brown and the red-haired girl.

The difference between the expressions you linked and the most recent one is the curl of the lips signifying contempt.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jul 2019, 17:56 »

Marten hasn't been laying the groundwork to change it, so your assessment of probability is plausible.

On the other hand one of the consistent themes of the comic is personal growth, and Marten has a girlfriend now with an inclination to challenge him.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2019, 19:17 »

"Three Dads! That's so many Dads!"

tomveil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2019, 19:28 »

I appreciate all the commenters who were able to so clearly verbalize the drastic shift in the art style.  All I could come up with was, "guess we're back to sharp chins."

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2019, 20:41 »

Awww. Nice!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2019, 22:00 »

The thing uppermost in my mind wasn't the art, it was whether 20-somethings would have any idea that Kraftwerk existed. Oh, sure, they still exist, but has anyone paid attention since Computer World in 1981?
Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, and Vangelis are the Holy Trinity of old-school electronica. I would expect ANYONE who is into music to at least know the names.
And where do Jean Paul Jarre and Orchestral Manouvres In The Dark fit in that trinity?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jul 2019, 22:51 »

Good morning,

Quote from: Tova
Yeah, I don't think Jeph has quite nailed the expression he was going for there (IMO). I think it was meant to be a rueful smile, but it does kinda look like she's in physical pain.

I second that. Hanners smile in Panel 2 is another example IMO. The smile is just a tad too broad, so it looks a little bit eerie to me. In todays comic Claire‘s smile in the last panel is a bit off, too. Four lines with only about one pixel distance are problematic. I suppose it will take some time for Jeph to perfectly nail the new expressions. But I‘m not worried.
My daughter draws manga characters and she once said to me, that a friendly smile is much harder to draw than a frown, because it easily turns into a grimace.

Over all I‘m warming up with the new style. Todays panel 2 is really, really good. The large faces in combination with the narrow lines give the picture a kind of importance, of seriousness, which really fits the issue of the conversation.

I‘m really curious how this new style will develop. Keep it up, Jeph.
Like Dora said to Faye, some time ago: “Change is good.“

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jul 2019, 23:22 »

Today's strip reminds us that, despite his many flaws, Marten is a very sweet-natured man. He sees that Claire and Hannelore are upset and he tries to offer comfort in the form of a verbal hug (because that's how I interpreted his joke). He's saying that he wishes that he could make them feel better.

I understand what Claire and Hannelore are saying on an abstract level. My parents split up before I was born so it's hard to miss something that you've never had. However, for someone who was raised with both parents, it must be a huge personal blow to lose one in such circumstances. I don't think that the human mind is quite wired up to handle this and those who experience it never really get beyond that 'this is wrong; this shouldn't happen' initial response.

On the subject of Marten and motivation: We've seen him react, even proactively, when he wants to. To me, the whole point of his line in the first panel of strip 4057 is that his preferred approach to life is to not seek change unless he thinks it is necessary and his idea of 'necessary' is far more relaxed than Claire's.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jul 2019, 23:40 »

I wonder if pursuing Vicky soured him on the idea of seizing initiative for years afterward.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #63 on: 31 Jul 2019, 01:17 »

I'm just interested in where Jeph's going with this now, really. It's a fairly significant shift, but one that makes space for a lot more character differentiation than they've sometimes had before. Could be interesting!

re: Claire contempt -- personally I read that expression in yesterday's strip as irritation in an "oh hey, it's that thing we've bickered about before" way. "Contempt" is such a strong word.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 31 Jul 2019, 01:58 »

Speaking of Kraftwerk...

It seems they've just won a court case which could end 'sampling' in music without expressed original producer permission.

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 31 Jul 2019, 03:42 »

"Contempt" is such a strong word.

Yeah it is; which is why I remarked that her expression didn't quite match how I read her words, which I interpreted as irritation, just as you did.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 31 Jul 2019, 03:44 »

I'm just interested in where Jeph's going with this now, really.

In terms of story, I think that Jeph is working towards Marten and Claire having a heart-to-heart about their differing ideas of 'being motivated' and 'being happy'. There will probably have to be a certain degree of give-and-take on both sides (mostly on Claire's part; Marten has already said that he's good with dropping everything and moving to wherever Claire finds a job). Basically, Claire is going to have to accept that Marten is happy with his life and, right now, doesn't see any reason to stress himself reaching out for something that he neither wants or needs in his life.

For some reason, I can see Marten later talking to Pintsize about the whole thing. Pintsize makes some borderline-obscene suggestions but the key point he makes is maybe Marten just needs to do more of what makes him happy rather than just wait for stuff to come to him. Pintsize is hooked up to a monitor at the time and calls up Amir's contact card and Marten's music/pop-culture blog.

One 'tension relief' way to end the intense discussion will be for Marten and Claire to start making out on the couch only to be interrupted by Bubbles simulating clearing her throat. Marten and Claire will apologise, blushing at being caught out.

BUBBLES: "Do not feel you have to apologise for doing something like that in your own home."

FAYE: "Actually, don't feel that you have to stop! I was enjoyin' the show!"
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #67 on: 31 Jul 2019, 04:44 »

An anglophone affecting a 'German' accent ...

German accent, or Generic Movie Villain Accent?

(Say "Eichhörnchen!"  :-D)

... you know, as an Austrian, given that specific term, I cannot resist to one-up that to "Oachkatzlschwoaf". That's the expression for the tail of the aforementioned animal, and I have never used that word in any other context than making people say something they can't pronounce properly.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #68 on: 31 Jul 2019, 06:50 »

... you know, as an Austrian, given that specific term, I cannot resist to one-up that to "Oachkatzlschwoaf". That's the expression for the tail of the aforementioned animal, and I have never used that word in any other context than making people say something they can't pronounce properly.
"Oachkazlschwoaf "(Squirrel's tail)
"Oachkatzl"(Eichhörnchen=squirrel) and "Schwoaf" (Schweif=tail) are words that are used to test whether you qualify as a native speaker of the Bavarian/Austrian dialect.
I ran into that and a whole lot more when first visiting my cousins in Karlsfeld many many moons ago. Now it is just a running gag as is my Canadian Accent when speaking German.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #69 on: 31 Jul 2019, 07:22 »

And where do Jean Paul Jarre and Orchestral Manouvres In The Dark fit in that trinity?
I dunno... saints, maybe? I'm not familiar with their work. I'm barely familiar with Kraftwerk (have only really heard "Autobahn").
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:02 »

I have finally realized my true calling:  Dad-For-Hire.

All my daughter's friends have already adopted me anyway.  Might as well get paid.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jul 2019, 10:18 »

"Oachkatzl"(Eichhörnchen=squirrel) and "Schwoaf" (Schweif=tail) are words that are used to test whether you qualify as a native speaker of the Bavarian/Austrian dialect.
I ran into that and a whole lot more when first visiting my cousins in Karlsfeld many many moons ago. Now it is just a running gag as is my Canadian Accent when speaking German.

The word for “squirrel” seems to be difficult to pronounce in many languages. My wife, who lived in France for many years and has near-native fluency in French, told me once how hard she had to work to learn the correct pronunciation of “écureuil”.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cybersmurf

« Reply #72 on: 31 Jul 2019, 11:50 »

The word for “squirrel” seems to be difficult to pronounce in many languages. My wife, who lived in France for many years and has near-native fluency in French, told me once how hard she had to work to learn the correct pronunciation of “écureuil”.

But... why? Did they derail the pronunciation, simply because they were squirelly every time they saw one?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #73 on: 31 Jul 2019, 14:55 »

I honestly don't know what "anyone who is into music" thinks. My impression has been that, while we all remember the music we listened to in our twenties (which would be Kraftwerk for me), every generation has generally forgotten stuff made 20+ years ago.

Modulo lasting exceptions like the Beetles, of course. It's not a rigid rule.

Incidentally, Tangerine Dream and Vangelis never did anything for me. I couldn't name anything Tangerine Dream did without internet research.

That's Jean-Michel Jarre. I'm a huge fan of his work.

I'm not sure he was influential, though. But then, I'm not entirely convinced any of the bands we've named were really influential. I've not heard anything recent that makes me think "that reminds me of Kraftwerk."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 31 Jul 2019, 15:38 »

Kraftwerk's beats laid the foundations for club music: for hip-hop, synth-pop, techno and house. The sounds they invented have been sampled by hundreds of artists, from Madonna to R.E.M, from Missy Elliott to Fergie. Coldplay and Jay-Z have had hits with their elegant melodies and their image has influenced David Bowie, Daft Punk and Kanye West. We also now live in the kind of world their future-obsessed lyrics predicted: we find Computer Love online, models smile from time to time and Europe Endless exists.

Why Kraftwerk are still the world's most influential band

It's the Beatles, btw.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 31 Jul 2019, 18:42 »

I don't see how borrowing one of Marten's dads would help Hannelore.  Asside from the long distance relationship because he lives on a space station she doesn't have any issues with her father.  Her mother on the other hand...  I don't know who would be the best surrogate among our extended cast so I leave that speculation up to you. 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #76 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:02 »

Considering how Veronica sometimes slips into her dom voice without intending to, she'd probably be a bad choice for Hanners.  Claire's mother, as well as Dora's are pretty chill.  Don't know if they'd want a surrogate offspring, though.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #77 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:04 »

I don't see how borrowing one of Marten's dads would help Hannelore.  Asside from the long distance relationship because he lives on a space station she doesn't have any issues with her father.  Her mother on the other hand...  I don't know who would be the best surrogate among our extended cast so I leave that speculation up to you.
I nominate Claire's mom.  Calming, makes great pancakes.  And Hanners could meet Cosmo.  Clinton may be a bit problematic, but eh.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #78 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:13 »

I do think that Clin-ton has matured quite a bit and is not so creepy.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #79 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:19 »

Awww.

OH NOES. NO TEXT ON MARTEN'S SHIRT.  :-P :lol:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:20 »

And I don't know if anyone who saw the preview even noticed, although everything else probably got picked apart.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 31 Jul 2019, 19:40 »

It's taken me two days to realize the art shift isn't a guest comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 31 Jul 2019, 23:19 »

We've known since her early appearances that her father's infidelity and departure was a huge personal blow to Claire and also impacted her mental health. Things like that never really go away, even now. It's natural for a child to want their parent's approval and love and it's pretty clear that Mr A simply doesn't have it in him to provide it. Likely selfishness and self-centredness is a key issue here.

The point of panel 5? It's in Marten's nature to want to help Claire in  this situation but, unfortunately, there is nothing he can do. It's just something Claire lives with and is going to have to continue to live with.

So, why is there no CRJ logo on Marten's shirt today? Vote below:

1) He got splashed with mud by Fairy Girl's raindeer and had to change it;
2) There's been a time skip - He and Claire have been discussing this for over a day off-panel;
3) Jeph forgot to put on that layer because he was busy packing for GenCon.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #83 on: 31 Jul 2019, 23:25 »

There's nothing he can do to fix it, yes, but hugging someone who needs it is not nothing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 31 Jul 2019, 23:35 »

There's nothing he can do to fix it, yes, but hugging someone who needs it is not nothing.

He could redo the comic.

Oh, you mean Marten. Right.  8-)

Well. In these kinds of situations, people generally aren't looking for sage advice anyway, just as Claire says. Usually emotional support. Sometimes the right questions can give you a new perspective. But I've learned to withhold advice unless specifically asked for, because trying to solve people's problems for them is often unhelpful.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 31 Jul 2019, 23:39 »

And you reminded me of this comic again.

(click to show/hide)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #86 on: 01 Aug 2019, 05:35 »

I work at a hospital. I'm not sure I needed to be introduced the the concept of an awakened pile of medical waste. :psyduck:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #87 on: 01 Aug 2019, 05:54 »

3) Jeph forgot to put on that layer because he was busy packing for GenCon.

Ockham's Razors from Logical Shave Club. When the best razor is the simplest.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #88 on: 01 Aug 2019, 06:05 »

I nominate Claire's mom.  Calming, makes great pancakes.  And Hanners could meet Cosmo.  Clinton may be a bit problematic, but eh.
Plus she's a drummer too (or was that a guitar?), smokes Nature's Leaf, and has sex with guys young enough to be her son's college roommate.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2019, 06:52 by pwhodges »

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #89 on: 01 Aug 2019, 06:37 »

Plus she's a drummer too (or was that a guitar?), smokes Nature's Leaf, and has sex with guys young enough to be her son's college roommate.  ;)
  She plays the bass.  So, Hanners on drums, Marten on Synth modules(?) and Mrs A on Bass.   That could work.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2019, 06:51 by pwhodges »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #90 on: 01 Aug 2019, 08:44 »

She plays the bass.  So, Hanners on drums, Marten on Synth modules(?) and Mrs A on Bass.   That could work.

So they’re putting the band back together?  I hope Amir hasn’t moved on.  Can’t recall when I last saw him.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2019, 11:02 by brasca »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #91 on: 01 Aug 2019, 08:48 »

He could redo the comic.

Well. In these kinds of situations, people generally aren't looking for sage advice anyway, just as Claire says. Usually emotional support. Sometimes the right questions can give you a new perspective. But I've learned to withhold advice unless specifically asked for, because trying to solve people's problems for them is often unhelpful.

All that, and in one support group I belong to there's a standard question "Do you just need us to listen, or is advice welcome?".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #92 on: 01 Aug 2019, 09:23 »

Her mother on the other hand...  I don't know who would be the best surrogate among our extended cast so I leave that speculation up to you.
Didn't one of the recent marginal notes indicate Jeph was planning 11 more characters?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #93 on: 01 Aug 2019, 10:07 »

Didn't one of the recent marginal notes indicate Jeph was planning 11 more characters?
It was mentioned.  Whether he's planning to do it or is just messing with some of the heads in here remains to be seen.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #94 on: 01 Aug 2019, 12:22 »

He could redo the comic.

All that, and in one support group I belong to there's a standard question "Do you just need us to listen, or is advice welcome?".

Oh man, I really need for my wife to learn how to ask that question.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 01 Aug 2019, 16:37 »

That's a nice idea. I'm going to shamelessly steal it, if that's okay.  8-)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #96 on: 01 Aug 2019, 16:44 »

I'm certain that would be OK with everybody.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #97 on: 01 Aug 2019, 17:21 »

Steaming piles of medical waste?

Cosmo's noble what?

I don't get it.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #98 on: 01 Aug 2019, 17:44 »

Claire: "I'm not looking for advice anyway. I'm just going to let sleeping piles of medical waste lie."
Marten: "Sleeping piles of medical waste?"
Claire: "I would never sully Cosmo's noble species by using them as an idiot for my father." (Cosmo is a dog. A borzoi to be accurate)

As in "I'm just going to let SLEEPING DOGS LIE".

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #99 on: 01 Aug 2019, 20:26 »

Update.

Didn't imagine Hanners would suggest THAT. *lol*
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up