THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Questionable Content AU - What if...? (Choose Three)

Doraten Domesticity - Would a married-on-impulse Marten & Dora have lasted?
- 3 (2.8%)
The Evil Apprentice - Hannelore chose to be Beatrice's true heir
- 7 (6.5%)
RoboFaye - After driving into the tree, Faye needed serious rebuilding (and meets up with a certain emotionally-damaged vet)
- 7 (6.5%)
Sex, Drugs and Concept Art Metal - Deathmøle was a big success; did it change them?
- 14 (13%)
VickTen - What if Vicky decided she wanted her and Marten to work after arriving in Northampton?
- 3 (2.8%)
The Fayetaclysm - Faye didn't survive her episode after being fired from CoD; how is everyone affected?
- 5 (4.6%)
The Three Amigos - Pintsize, iWinslow and Momo-tan ran away in pre-RERA times; here are their misadventures!
- 4 (3.7%)
Doctor Raven - The hottest ditz genius stayed at CoD... and met Emily
- 14 (13%)
A Pugnacious Peach in the Big Apple - The married life of Angus and Faye McPhee in NYC
- 5 (4.6%)
Share and Share Alike - The Marten-Faye-Dora triad
- 8 (7.4%)
Blondora - Dora wasn't embittered by Sven's behaviour; she stayed a bright, cheerful blonde!
- 4 (3.7%)
The Disney Princess and the Cloud-Cuckoolander - Claire and Emily as roommates and more
- 12 (11.1%)
Mama Beatrice - Beatrice tried harder to be a good mother & a very different Hannelore comes to Northampton
- 2 (1.9%)
Codename: STEVE - Marten's best friend kept his job at the CIA
- 17 (15.7%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4071-4075 (19th to 23rd August 2019)  (Read 23864 times)

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT strips 4071-4075 (19th to 23rd August 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Aug 2019, 11:43 »

Ok is this song that is supposedly playing over the speakers real? I'm not a big music connoisseur so I miss the ref for sure.

What is Love, by Haddaway, a Trinidadian-German Eurodance artist. The 1993 song was from his debut album The Album, the song was far more successful in Europe than it was elsewhere, and is one of the most recognisable songs of the 90s.

Thanks very much for the info Castlerook, be well.

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #51 on: 20 Aug 2019, 11:51 »

Ok is this song that is supposedly playing over the speakers real? I'm not a big music connoisseur so I miss the ref for sure.

What is Love, by Haddaway, a Trinidadian-German Eurodance artist. The 1993 song was from his debut album The Album, the song was far more successful in Europe than it was elsewhere, and is one of the most recognisable songs of the 90s.

Its popularity in the US seems to stem primarly from the SNL sketch where it was used as a stand-in for generic club music in the 90s.  The sketch was so loved, it joined the lineup of SNL sketches-turned-feature-films in "A Night at the Roxbury."  It currently enjoys a certain amount of memetic status alongside "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "Sandstorm."
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #52 on: 20 Aug 2019, 11:58 »

Yeah, but let's put it this way - the highest the song reached in the US billboard chart was #11.

All across Europe it reached #1. The lowest it reached in the actual EU was #2 in the UK. It was an immensely popular song and when various shows were looking back on music in the run-up to 2000, that song was pretty much guaranteed to be in the top ten of the dance charts.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 20 Aug 2019, 12:19 »

Firstly, that was damn close to a rick roll, nice job Jeph.

Secondly, May's stream of consciousness swearing is almost as good as Sydney's.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #54 on: 20 Aug 2019, 17:02 »

I am not at all impressed with Sydney's word salad swears. They lack rhythm. A good swear has meter, just like a poem.
[Sydney from Grrl Power]
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2019, 17:48 »

Other: the singularity was evil instead.
I guess Winslow found a passion.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2019, 18:16 »

This song is a substantial part of why I have issues with my generation.

P. S.: To the person about to fawn over Scooter: You have to ask yourself 'Do I feel lucky?'
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2019, 18:27 »

Oh? Why is that?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2019, 18:45 »

Oh? Why is that?

I was under the impression that you have ears?
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2019, 18:52 »

Okay, that was unnecessary.

Edit: To answer your question: yes, I have ears, but I haven't listened to that awful song in many years, nor do I plan to.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2019, 18:59 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 20 Aug 2019, 19:10 »

Well, thanks to the 'taste' of Germans of my generation, that 'song' is indelibly etched into my memory due to the airtime it got in '93.

I haven't forgiven them for that.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #61 on: 20 Aug 2019, 19:17 »

P. S.: To the person about to fawn over Scooter: You have to ask yourself 'Do I feel lucky?'
You're preaching to the choir here.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #62 on: 20 Aug 2019, 19:34 »

Update!
 :-D

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #63 on: 20 Aug 2019, 19:51 »

You're preaching to the choir here.

Oh!

I wasn't like, you know ... raving and hollering imprecations at the choir by any chance?

Nevermind.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #64 on: 20 Aug 2019, 20:02 »

You? Rant?!

Don't be preposterous!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #65 on: 20 Aug 2019, 21:02 »

OK, I feel like a tool, because when Winslow chose a pink Deluxe Boy body, I just assumed that meant he was gay, because Pink On Men Must Mean Gay, and not just because, y'know, it's a nice color.
Pink used to be considered a manly color because it's a shade of red. I don't recall exactly when, but I think it was the 1930s or 1940s when that started to change.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #66 on: 20 Aug 2019, 21:14 »

He is glowing (in one panel).
He's got it baaaaaad.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #67 on: 20 Aug 2019, 23:11 »

I don't think that what May says in panel 3 is entirely fair. The first cute female anthropomimetic AI that Winslow met was Momo and he didn't respond like this. Yes, I know that they were friends before their chassis upgrades but, if we accept that attraction isn't necessarily intellectual in AIs (as this arc suggests) then that shouldn't be an issue! So, yeah, Roko is a special case and something new for Winslow. That said, I'm already seeing the signs of doom in that she barely notices him!

Now... Has Brun been giving May some off-camera lessons on how to use a harpoon to eject unwelcome customers?

I loved Jeph's footer note! No, May is not 'discerning in her perversions'. She's just found that she enjoyed participating in a particular one largely by luck!

He is glowing (in one panel).
He's got it baaaaaad.

I want to know if that's really happening or if it's just artistic depiction of his reaction. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it's real, given how weird some of the chassis' capabilities seem to be but I'd still like for there to be some kind of explanation!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 21 Aug 2019, 01:00 »

That would be a pretty good caption contest entry.

Winslow: Unfair, she’s not the first! She’s the second.
May: Right. I take it all back.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 21 Aug 2019, 02:17 »

That would be a pretty good caption contest entry.

Winslow: Unfair, she’s not the first! She’s the second.
May: Right. I take it all back.

I have to admit I'd LOVE to see Jeph pastiche-ing the Schulz cartoon where Charlie Brown is complaining to Lucy that he can't talk to The Little Red Haired Girl, as he gets nervous around a pretty face...

Cue next three panels of Lucy shouting and yelling about "I NOTICE YOU CAN TALK TO "ME"! *I* HAVE A PRETTY FACE! HOW COME YOU CAN TALK TO ME!?" etc...

I'd love to see May's version of that!  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #70 on: 21 Aug 2019, 04:46 »

No, May is not 'discerning in her perversions'.
Absolutely right.  Look who she decided to exercise her perversions with...  The one human pretty much guaranteed to PO every single human female May could reasonably look to for support. 

Why do I keep having a Bubbles and Momo scene with them discussing what Momo should tell May, if May will listen...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #71 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:31 »

Roko's body dysphoria issues haven't been addressed for a while.  Would Winslow's attention tend to reinforce that or reassure her on this point?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #72 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:43 »

Roko might be simply too distracted by work and life to actually pay attention to the body dysphoria.

And remember, we don't see the lives of a character every moment of the day. So there might be instances where Roko thinks about it or worries about it, before calming herself down and starting over.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #73 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:52 »

On pink:
Over a decade ago I worked at an electrical contractor shop, and the big boss was so all-male his balls probably had balls of their own.
He would occasionally be wearing a pink polo shirt.
Pink is manly AF.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

rtmq0227

« Reply #74 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:56 »

Roko's body dysphoria issues haven't been addressed for a while.  Would Winslow's attention tend to reinforce that or reassure her on this point?

I'm still pulling for more Roko/Elliot moments.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #75 on: 21 Aug 2019, 07:00 »

On pink:
Over a decade ago I worked at an electrical contractor shop, and the big boss was so all-male his balls probably had balls of their own.
He would occasionally be wearing a pink polo shirt.
Pink is manly AF.
Little remembered fact - there was a time when the colour for newborn baby boys was pink, while blue was for girls. Pink was chosen because it was a more vibrant and outstanding colour compared to the more passive blue. Largely due to how pink is a shade of red.

cybersmurf

« Reply #76 on: 21 Aug 2019, 08:43 »

Please tell me I'm not the only one now that wants to see sweet little Winslow curled up happily in Roko's lap while she fusses him  :laugh: :lol:

"Mistress Roko..."

Hyper lucky.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #77 on: 21 Aug 2019, 11:31 »

OK, I feel like a tool, because when Winslow chose a pink Deluxe Boy body, I just assumed that meant he was gay, because Pink On Men Must Mean Gay, and not just because, y'know, it's a nice color.
As it has been mentioned already I will help put to rest the misinformation regarding colour then and now.
If you peruse classical European painting you will notice something very peculiar compared to our modern marketing influenced world.

Red was Masculine
Pink was for boys aka, not yet men therefore red-light
This colour remained in fashion into the 50's when the fashion houses and marketing changed everything around so eveeryones wardrobe had to be updated on a regular basis.

Blue was for girls - this is why young males in aristocracy had curls and wore blue just like little girls - it was a survival issue since girls had no value back then and not targetted for kidnapping or assassination.

Also white was for death and funerals [why ghosts are depicted as white due to their funeral shrouds] and black was for formal attire for both genders.
This is where the formal Black Tuxedo and little black dress come from originally since it flatters the human form no matter the design.

That is until Victoria turned everything on it's head and the new mercantile class ran with it.
Then again Victoria and the rest from that time period did as much harm as good when it came to cultural appropriation and runaway mercantilism.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #78 on: 21 Aug 2019, 19:14 »

Strip is up!

I think May's problem is her delivery.  While she does make a good point that Winslow acknowledges there's nothing wrong with him doing charitable work with an ulterior motive.  As long as Winslow realizes that and doesn't get discouraged if Roko doesn't reciprocate he should go for it.   

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #79 on: 21 Aug 2019, 19:26 »

Interesting that May chooses to confide in the teen that she just broomed out of the store.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #80 on: 21 Aug 2019, 20:13 »

Awww. Poor Winslow, tho May does have a point...

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #81 on: 21 Aug 2019, 22:12 »

May is definitely not wrong.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 21 Aug 2019, 23:06 »

As it has been mentioned already I will help put to rest the misinformation regarding colour then and now.
(Brevity)
The meaning of colours has changed. One thing all of these explanations lack, however, is an appreciation of local variation, and different meanings being attributed to different shades of one colour. And that's not even touching on the duality that was attributed to most colours.

White, for instance, was death, as the colour of bleached bone - and for a long time stood as the opposite of red, for blood. At the same time, it was the colour of purity: take natural linen, and white is your most dependable colour, no matter how many times you wash and bleach it.

The meaning changing also shows in pink, at a certain period being very firmly associated with violence, and crime. It's not entirely implausible that the connection with homosexuality stems from there, as at that time, making the villain gay just served to add a layer to his villainy.

Blue for girls, on the other hand, has a firm root in mariodoxy, white and blue being the colours associated with the Virgin Mary.
Earth tones, grey, and black were most often connected to humility, and seriousness. There's a connection to the theory of humours to be found there, as well.
But there's no hard and fast rule. Red and blues were simply more easily available, for most of our history.

I do want to note that the notion of differentiating dress between boys and girls for young children, is a relatively recent notion. And up until the age where they would be dressing for their gender, children often went in white, for the simple reason that any accidents could easily be bleached out.

Saying girls had no value, is also doing a great disservice to large periods of our history. Another vice of the Victorians, was to reinterpret history, even their own, to conform to their own mores and expectations.  Medieval studies are only now recovering a more balanced view of those ages, though in many ways, it's still an uphill battle against the Victorian myths that have very heavily influenced the popular image.

Edited for spacing.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2019, 08:40 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 21 Aug 2019, 23:16 »

That's very typical May. She doesn't go out to upset people but she does and she usually instantly regrets it. She then has to wrestle with her pride and her own insecurities to rescue her relationships. I think that she hates that part of herself but doesn't know how to defeat it.

Whilst I agree that nothing good can come from chasing around someone who probably barely even registered that you exist, I do wonder if May has other motives here and realising them is what has let to her feeling so upset. I'm pretty sure that she suffers strongly from chassis envy and the fact that no-one is likely to react to her the way Winslow reacted to Roko drove a lot of her reactions for the past two strips. Is her strongly-defensive reaction to Winslow actually attraction? I can't really say at this point.

That alleged youth sitting on the doorstep of the shop is seriously uncanny valley, aren't they? Either there are some weird cosmetic fashions for teens in the QCverse, Jeph is deliberately referencing a character from animé or someone else's webcomics or they're not entirely human. Hey, we have sentient AIs so why not also a small extraterrestrial population?
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #84 on: 22 Aug 2019, 03:26 »

Jeph often includes manga/anime references and/or influences in his work.  The teen in this case has eyes which seem to me to be a call-out to the style of the artist responsible for One-Punch Man and Mob 100.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tai Fanboi

• DeadWinter
« Reply #85 on: 22 Aug 2019, 05:15 »

Jeph often includes manga/anime references and/or influences in his work.  The teen in this case has eyes which seem to me to be a call-out to the style of the artist responsible for One-Punch Man and Mob 100.

I was gonna say, something up with the pupils, looks familiar but can't quote put my finger on it.  Not quite Rick and Morty, a bit of one punch but more...  I dunno...  Snake Like?
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #86 on: 22 Aug 2019, 06:03 »

Either there are some weird cosmetic fashions for teens in the QCverse, Jeph is deliberately referencing a character from animé or someone else's webcomics or they're not entirely human. Hey, we have sentient AIs so why not also a small extraterrestrial population?
I vote for cosmetics.  Larger eyebrows have been more noticeable in my area of late among the teens, and that's what's different about this character.  Other than the snake eyes, but those could easily just be novelty contact lenses.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 22 Aug 2019, 06:55 »

Interesting that May chooses to confide in the teen that she just broomed out of the store.

IS that a teen, though?

See.. my first thought was "Why would an AI dress like a goth right down to the cat's eye contacts... but then.. why not?"
Then I thought.. wait.. they've got pierced ears.. have I seen an AI with pierced anything?
THEN I thought, must be a person then...
THEN I thought... wait though... is that a neck seam???

So... Joe iz confuzzled!
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 22 Aug 2019, 06:59 »

That's not a neck seam, it's a collar bone. Look at Roko's last appearance for an example of a Synthetic with both to help you see the difference.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #89 on: 22 Aug 2019, 07:03 »

The teen is also possibly high.

When they're in the store early in the storyline, they have the same eye dots that the rest of the cast have. Its only in the latest strip that their eyes are weird.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 22 Aug 2019, 07:04 »

That's not a neck seam, it's a collar bone. Look at Roko's last appearance for an example of a Synthetic with both to help you see the difference.

You might well be right, hard to tell on the screen size I'm looking at.

That said... clavicles don't meet in the middle... his line seems to.
(Although... again could be the screen... it looks like it might be a shade of brown rather than the black of normal neck seams...)

Ho-hum...
Covenant

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #91 on: 22 Aug 2019, 07:23 »

IS that a teen, though?

It seems to be the same person May was shoving with a broom in the previous strip; I assumed that it was one of those pesky teens, and I see nothing in the current strip to suggest otherwise.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #92 on: 22 Aug 2019, 08:21 »

IS that a teen, though?

It seems to be the same person May was shoving with a broom in the previous strip; I assumed that it was one of those pesky teens, and I see nothing in the current strip to suggest otherwise.

See above.
Covenant

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #93 on: 22 Aug 2019, 15:48 »

... an uphill battle against the Victorian myths that have very heavily influenced the popular image.
And of course we create new myths for our own prejudices. There's a spectacular amount of mythmaking about the Victorians for instance.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #94 on: 22 Aug 2019, 16:24 »

There's a couple of other incidents that happened in the 20th Century that changed the perception of pink from a masculine colour to a feminine one.
- Mamie Eisenhower wearing a pink dress at the inaugural ball in 1953.
- Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli was known for her association with surrealist artists of the era, and invented the shade "Shocking pink". She also created a perfume called "Shocking" and sold it in a bottle supposedly modelled after Mae West's torso. Many of her designs would use the vibrant pinks.
- During the Second World War, prisoners in Nazi concentration camps accused of homosexuality were forced to wear a pink triangle. Which evolved into the symbol of the modern gay rights movement.

A lot of it comes from how chemical dyes improved in the 20th century and basically more people had more choice.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #95 on: 22 Aug 2019, 18:50 »

New strip, in which Winslow can't see someone to talk to.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #96 on: 22 Aug 2019, 19:21 »

Awwww.

The 'flickering' effect didn't work great on my laptop.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #97 on: 22 Aug 2019, 19:22 »

Ah yes, that famous ratite attorney, E. Mu, Esquire. Attorney at Law.

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #98 on: 22 Aug 2019, 19:31 »

This gives me flashbacks to the great Emu Wars of '87. I still remember my drill sergeant shouting in my squad's faces that this is the only place on Earth where the geese chase you.

They're in the trees.

They're in the trees.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #99 on: 22 Aug 2019, 20:09 »

Until the emu decloaked and all I could see was the attorney sign, I thought briefly this story was headed for a different turn. Going to guess this was some artful and deliberate misdirection on the part of our artist.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up