THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's that dark grey tower with the light blue front in Union Robotics?

tall floor lamp/lighting unit
unusually narrow vending machine
temporary server for AI neural substrates
charging station of some sort
ZPM
Actually, it's a ___________.
it's purely aesthetic
some sort of storage unit
purple monkey dishes go inside of it

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4081-4085 (2nd-6th September 2019)  (Read 20367 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT strips 4081-4085 (2nd-6th September 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 04 Sep 2019, 02:37 »

What's that brown thing stuck to the side of one of the cups???

Probably a tag to keep the tea bag from dropping to the bottom of the cup.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 04 Sep 2019, 03:52 »

Panel 5: another instance of the caffeine = meth trope.

I was a late adopter of coffee, and before I first started drinking it, I’d heard for years from people who claimed they weren’t really awake until they’d had their coffee. Now I’m a coffee nerd, drinking 14 oz flat whites brewed from about 40 grams of coffee most days, and I find that it makes pretty much no difference to my alertness whether I’m drinking caffeinated or decaf.

And yes, I’m an introvert.

The main struggle I have with caffeine is the withdrawal headaches. That’s a real effect on me even if the stereotype of it being a strong stimulant isn’t. It’s why I often drink decaf, I’m drinking coffee for the flavor, not the effect, so some days I skip coffee because I don’t feel like drinking it that day, and I don’t want to be punished with a headache for being fickle.

I’d drink decaf exclusively but I’ve found relatively few decaf bean sources that I enjoy.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #52 on: 04 Sep 2019, 05:13 »

Just don't play a prank by using a pretty powerful behaviour-altering chemical on a minor. It wouldn't surprise me if the next arc will be a Dora self-reflection arc of some form.

It similarly wouldn't surprise me if Dora actually gave Sam a latte with the absolute least amount of decaf coffee possible without Sam twigging on that it was basically just a cup of steamed milk, and Sam's reaction here is essentially psychosomatic. 

also, @Andrybak, thank you for tracking down that article. I'd only heard about it third-hand, and I didn't mean to imply either student had died.
Just going through life.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #53 on: 04 Sep 2019, 06:07 »

Tea bag!? *shudder* Western barbarians...

As for the supposed evils of caffeine, parents seem quite happy to let children way younger than 13 guzzle caffeinated, sugar-loaded soft drinks.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ThePerilsOfDan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #54 on: 04 Sep 2019, 06:50 »

I think I may have found my new favorite comic posting.

*Dora's red eyes = teh scary* =:O

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #55 on: 04 Sep 2019, 06:59 »

Which was, of course, my first thought... but it looks more like the tea BAG itself...
(Looks 3D not 2D)

But a tea bag hanging on the side of the cup would make no sense.. hence my question..

(And you know Jeph - if it had been a tag there would have been tiny writing on it making some tea-pun!)  :)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #56 on: 04 Sep 2019, 07:34 »

I think I may have found my new favorite comic posting.

*Dora's red eyes = teh scary* =:O

Red eyes in morning, Fay should take warning.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #57 on: 04 Sep 2019, 07:39 »

As for the supposed evils of caffeine, parents seem quite happy to let children way younger than 13 guzzle caffeinated, sugar-loaded soft drinks.

Funny you should mention that.

I personally started drinking coffee at a very early age, around 3 years old, obviously initially small amounts with lots of milk, but normal cups with milk at around 6-7 years old. In the Netherlands btw, where coffee is very much ingrained and I think not unusually consumed by children (albeit not at such a young age).
When I tell that here (USA), people are generally shocked, which I find amusing when observing all the garbage they typically let their kids consume at an early age, including the drinks you mention (coincidentally I had almost zero carbonated and/or caffeinated soft drinks before middle school myself)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #58 on: 04 Sep 2019, 07:45 »

I drank coffee long before I did carbonated soft drinks,[1] starting about age six.  I went off coffee for a long time due to how it triggers my anxiety, but had to go back on caffeine because every non-controlled anxiety med either doesn't work on me, or knocks my arse out.

[1] When I was 2, I toddled to what became my first beer.  When the carbonation caused it to start coming out of my nose, I had a strong aversion to anything carbonated.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #59 on: 04 Sep 2019, 07:58 »

Which was, of course, my first thought... but it looks more like the tea BAG itself...
(Looks 3D not 2D)

But a tea bag hanging on the side of the cup would make no sense.. hence my question..

Most coffee places usually leave the teabag in the cup, with the idea that you let it sit for your preferred taste. Considering that Sam was going to be taking the tea back to Union Robotics, it might have run the risk of getting steeped, which ruins the flavour. So, cup of hot water, tea bag hanging on the side and bring it back so that it can be appreciated fresh.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #60 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:01 »

Bubbles doesn't actually drink the tea, so the flavour is inconsequential.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

msaroff

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #61 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:02 »

In strip 4083, Fay is drinking Sam has ordered a drink for Faye called an, "Abomination".

What is it, and where can I get some?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #62 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:03 »

Bubbles doesn't actually drink the tea, so the flavour is inconsequential.

True, but the scent of steeped tea is still powerful. Probably enough to ruin the visual profile Bubbles might build up.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:07 »

As I suspect that the tea is intended to anaesthetise Chimevera rather than for Bubbles, a stronger scent might be beneficial. Or it might knock her out so completely that Jones may need a hand truck to get her back to the lab.
~~~~

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #64 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:12 »

In strip 4083, Fay is drinking Sam has ordered a drink for Faye called an, "Abomination".

I am picturing it as undiluted coffee concentrate. Which sounds utterly amazing and I may have to make one myself.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #65 on: 04 Sep 2019, 08:24 »

I once worked at a place that had an off-menu drink called "The Heartstopper".  We had noticed that there was a section in the back of the fridge where things would freeze, so would take jugs full of espresso and just stick them back there, and pull off the ice.  Then refilled with more espresso, and so on.  The end drink contained a cup full of that, a touch of flavoured syrup, and some milk.  I once foolishly gave one to shut up this one kid because he kept on me about it, and how since he was Italian, that he could handle it.  Two days later, I find out that he still hadn't slept, and the girl he was dating at the time complained about other things not working either.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #66 on: 04 Sep 2019, 09:10 »

the paper label on the string of the tea bag.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 04 Sep 2019, 09:34 »

(Looks 3D not 2D)

Most coffee places usually leave the teabag in the cup, with the idea that you let it sit for your preferred taste. Considering that Sam was going to be taking the tea back to Union Robotics, it might have run the risk of getting steeped, which ruins the flavour. So, cup of hot water, tea bag hanging on the side and bring it back so that it can be appreciated fresh.

Yeah... I thought of that as well... but it doesn't work 'in reality'.
I've also never seen an establishment that does fruit teas or similar do such a thing.

I'm just gonna go with Jeph isn't a habitual tea drinker :)

(Me? I can't even stand the smell of Coffee... makes me feel physically sick.)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 04 Sep 2019, 09:35 »

See above!  :)
Covenant

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #69 on: 04 Sep 2019, 10:22 »

Funny you should mention that.

I personally started drinking coffee at a very early age, around 3 years old, obviously initially small amounts with lots of milk, but normal cups with milk at around 6-7 years old. In the Netherlands btw, where coffee is very much ingrained and I think not unusually consumed by children (albeit not at such a young age).
When I tell that here (USA), people are generally shocked, which I find amusing when observing all the garbage they typically let their kids consume at an early age, including the drinks you mention (coincidentally I had almost zero carbonated and/or caffeinated soft drinks before middle school myself)

The same here in Brasil. I have been drinking cofee my whole life - it's probably my main source of hydration. I got quite perplexed when I saw an american movie scene (can't remember what movie) where a father says "cofee is a drug. I don't give my kids drugs"! I can even drink cofee right before bedtime, with no noticeable effects on my sleep.

@Gus: yep, I'm an introvert too. And withdrawal headache is a bitch.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2019, 10:34 by Marco »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 04 Sep 2019, 10:22 »

Welcome, new person!

I read about one nerd whose standard breakfast in college was a glass of chocolate syrup with enough coffee added to counter the sweetness.

You could make the rounds of indy coffee shops in your town and ask what unusual things they have.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #71 on: 04 Sep 2019, 10:30 »

Dang.
It didn't even need to be Faye's Favorite.

And someone will have a Demon-Eye Dora gravitar in 3.. 2.. 1..
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #72 on: 04 Sep 2019, 11:09 »

Teabag tag.

Since I'm here, I might as well ask a stupid question: where did the name "Chimevera" come from?

Did I miss something somewhere, or is this something the QC Hive Mind came up with?

/outoftheloop...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 04 Sep 2019, 11:16 »

*Meekly raises hand*

I made up the name 'Chimevera'. As Jeph hasn't given her a canon name, most posters just started using it!
~~~~

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #74 on: 04 Sep 2019, 14:28 »

My coffee shop uses loose tea, but we put to-go orders in these tea bags that have a long flap that hangs over the side of the cup. The lid then holds the bag in place and holds the top of the bag closed. We double the cup and tuck the flap between the cups. If Dora doesn't double the cups, that could be the flap of the bag. It could also be the bag held on the outside of the cup. It actually works quite well with that style of tea bag.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #75 on: 04 Sep 2019, 15:18 »

I am picturing it as undiluted coffee concentrate. Which sounds utterly amazing and I may have to make one myself.

You mean espresso?  :-D

And yeah, Ben is our official Hive Mind. Blame him.  :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #77 on: 04 Sep 2019, 19:10 »

I would LOVE for May to have just walked in so she can short out at the irony of FAYE lecturing someone about bedside manner.

Faaaaaaaaaace meeeeeeeeeats.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #78 on: 04 Sep 2019, 19:41 »

That really was mean of Dora.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 04 Sep 2019, 20:05 »

You’re just recycling jokes now.

Oh I just thought of something. Hang on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 04 Sep 2019, 23:19 »

The disturbing thing about today's strip is, absent the caffeine buzz, this is more-or-less normal behaviour for Sam. Especially with the boundary violations and liking frankly icky stuff!

So, the question that needs to be asked is this: When and in what form will Faye's vengeance come?

I would LOVE for May to have just walked in so she can short out at the irony of FAYE lecturing someone about bedside manner.

Faaaaaaaaaace meeeeeeeeeats.

Bottom line is that Faye has actually come a long way since then, thanks to Bubbles. I also suspect not having to pretend she's an edgy criminal because of working in an underground operation may have also altered her professional behaviour somewhat.
~~~~

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #81 on: 05 Sep 2019, 01:03 »

"po bone"?

also, that is an interesting (if personal) question - what is the AI experience of chassis damage, something similar to humans or just a bunch of system alerts?

oddtail

« Reply #82 on: 05 Sep 2019, 01:32 »

"po bone"?

also, that is an interesting (if personal) question - what is the AI experience of chassis damage, something similar to humans or just a bunch of system alerts?

The comic mentioned at one point that AI don't feel pain, although I *think* it may have been subsequently ignored as AI characters came to the fore-front (although it was never explicitly retconned away).

Based on how Bubbles describes olfactory sensations, my guess/headcanon would be "just a bunch of system alerts", but with the caveat that it still causes some significant mental discomfort. And possibly that AIs that are heavily integrated with their bodies do experience psychosomatic sensations that are not pain, but are comparable to it.

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #83 on: 05 Sep 2019, 04:29 »

I once worked at a place that had an off-menu drink called "The Heartstopper".  We had noticed that there was a section in the back of the fridge where things would freeze, so would take jugs full of espresso and just stick them back there, and pull off the ice.  Then refilled with more espresso, and so on.  The end drink contained a cup full of that, a touch of flavoured syrup, and some milk.  I once foolishly gave one to shut up this one kid because he kept on me about it, and how since he was Italian, that he could handle it.  Two days later, I find out that he still hadn't slept, and the girl he was dating at the time complained about other things not working either.

That's brilliant!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 05 Sep 2019, 04:42 »

The comic mentioned at one point that AI don't feel pain, although I *think* it may have been subsequently ignored as AI characters came to the fore-front (although it was never explicitly retconned away).

As far as I know, it's still established that the synthetics don't experience pain in the same way as humans. From Melon's experience with a melon baller, it is clear that they can even disregard damage warnings if they choose to do so. However, it is also clear that they are sophisticated enough that their subconscious processes can provide a purely-hallucinatory stimulus response analogous to pain, as with Roko and her feet.
~~~~

oddtail

« Reply #85 on: 05 Sep 2019, 04:47 »

Based on how she reacts unusually to things that other AI navigate similarly to humans, Melon *does* seem to have altered cognition/perception compared to other AI, though. So it's possible that damage not bothering her is somewhat unusual.

But yes, clearly AI don't exactly experience physical damage as a debilitating shock to the system.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 05 Sep 2019, 06:48 »

My coffee shop uses loose tea, but we put to-go orders in these tea bags that have a long flap that hangs over the side of the cup. The lid then holds the bag in place and holds the top of the bag closed. We double the cup and tuck the flap between the cups. If Dora doesn't double the cups, that could be the flap of the bag. It could also be the bag held on the outside of the cup. It actually works quite well with that style of tea bag.

There we go!
There's an answer I can get on board with.
Makes sense in context.. looks BLOODY weird!!!!  :)

Cheers!
Covenant

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #87 on: 05 Sep 2019, 06:50 »

A quick and shallow web search resulted in the following
  • Coffee with a Raw Egg
  • Coffee Cola
  • Tea + Coffee + Ice Cream
  • A really strange Brewing Companies Stout - definitely not likely
  • Black Iced Coffee + 7 Classic + 2 Raspberry + 2 toffee + 2 caramel + Caramel Sauce + Milk + Cream
  • The aforementioned Coffee liquid concentrate - horrible not because of its strength but it is either Mother Parkers or Folgers
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #88 on: 05 Sep 2019, 08:25 »

Folgers is an abomination in all its forms.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #89 on: 05 Sep 2019, 09:15 »

"po bone"?

There was a Q&A with Jeph where he said they don't feel pain like we do ("They're computers" or something very close to that). It was long enough ago that it may no longer be canon.

Those system alerts had better be high priority.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #90 on: 05 Sep 2019, 09:40 »

It looks too big relative to the size of the cup to be the paper tag on a tea bag.

I actually assumed it was a hand scribbled label to distinguish the "abomination" from the other two coffees (and the tea in the larger cup). It's only after reading the comments here that I realised the brown thing could be a teabag which is not yet in the water to avoid oversteeping. I guess it makes sense that the abomination would be the larger one - that said, Dora's words implied that it's much stronger than a regular coffee so it wouldn't necessarily need to be a bigger size as well.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #91 on: 05 Sep 2019, 10:43 »

"High Priority" is what the sysadmin (in this case, the AI in question) says it is.  I'd hope that they had the capacity to ignore, or at least lower the priority of such alerts in order to say, have surgery (no need for anesthetic) or to function without alerts causing a potentially dangerous distraction.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #92 on: 05 Sep 2019, 11:01 »

If Sam were anymore hyper she’d fashion her shirt into a hoodie and declare herself the Great Cornholio.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #93 on: 05 Sep 2019, 11:36 »

"po bone"?

I was wondering about that also.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #94 on: 05 Sep 2019, 17:21 »

"High Priority" is what the sysadmin (in this case, the AI in question) says it is.  I'd hope that they had the capacity to ignore, or at least lower the priority of such alerts in order to say, have surgery (no need for anesthetic) or to function without alerts causing a potentially dangerous distraction.

Lordie I wish I could do that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 05 Sep 2019, 19:05 »

What you're talking about is essentially an AI analog of anesthetic.

You seem to be advocating for an AI to be able to turn off pain response at will. I don't think that you've really thought through the inevitable consequences of people having the capacity to simply turn off the pain response to injury without trained medical intervention.

Pain isn't just an alert system. It motivates a response.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #96 on: 05 Sep 2019, 19:28 »

*Meekly raises hand*

I made up the name 'Chimevera'. As Jeph hasn't given her a canon name, most posters just started using it!

Thanks for the clarification. Seems more polite than calling her "Greenie".

And in today's strip... AI surgery. Looks like AIs can definitely turn off their "pain" or "discomfort" or "damage reports" or whatever as needed.

I really like how the AI bodies in these strips have so many analogues to human muscles and systems with myomers for muscles, lubrication lines, coolant pumps, carbon fiber bones, etc. There's a lot of good engineering in humans. It'd be a shame to let it go to waste.

There's a lot of WTF engineering in humans, too... hopefully they left a lot of that out. The ability to shut off pain when you need to would be pretty sweet.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #97 on: 05 Sep 2019, 19:35 »

This day's strip needs a soundtrack.

EDITED for a better arrangement.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2019, 07:19 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 05 Sep 2019, 19:52 »

Let's be honest here - Dr Greenie should probably have just turned herself off for the duration.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #99 on: 05 Sep 2019, 20:34 »

I know Faye is operating on her leg, but it looks and sounds like she’s got her hands some place else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up