Fun Stuff > ENJOY

"Kingdom" on Netflix

<< < (2/3) > >>

oddtail:

--- Quote from: Akima on 20 Sep 2019, 15:20 ---
--- Quote from: oddtail on 04 Sep 2019, 12:17 ---See, the story is set in Joseon Korea (17th century if I'm gonna guess?).
--- End quote ---
The Joseon Dynasty ruled Korea for about five hundred years (1392-1997 are the normal dates quoted)...

--- End quote ---

The series doesn't specify a time period, the century I guesstimated is based on the weapon technology used. Which still may be inaccurate, because I don't know the timeline of early modern firearm adoption in Korea. I don't think the story names anything that'd make it possible to pinpoint a specific decade (although that's mostly because of my general lack of knowledge of Asian history. For all I know, the show might be extremely period-accurate to a very specific time in Korean history).

oddtail:
Related to nothing:

I changed the title of the thread, because the correct title is "Kingdom" (without the "The").

Incidentally, the Korean name of the show is "킹덤", which transliterates to "Kingdeom". I don't know if it's a regular borrowing from the English language that otherwise functions in Korean, or a deliberate decision to use an English word as a title (Google Translate does suggest that 킹 - "king" - is a word in addition to 왕 that also seems to mean "king", but I don't know what the distinction is and Google is not much help).

EDIT: 킹 on the Korean Wikipedia seems to be an article for the piece in chess, which would indicate that it's normally not used to refer to a monarch. Otherwise, the disambiguation page lists people with the last name "King" and mentions that it's the English word for 왕. So my assumption is that naming the series "킹덤" is a deliberate choice to use the English word.

RedWolf4:
So a bit of a thread necro on this, but the second season is out and damn if it ain't the same caliber as the previous. Definitely a solid recommend.

oddtail:
A series about a plague that threatens an entire East Asian nation.

I... think I'm gonna wait a few weeks on this one. Won't be much fun for me to watch at the moment.

RedWolf4:
Fair.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version