freak-out
aerial swings
ferris wheel
sack slide
merry-go-round
something else (please comment)
I'll stick to the fairway

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4086-4090 (9th-13th September 2019)  (Read 25490 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I wasn't expecting to do this 3 weeks in a row. But hey, I'm waiting on rides, so I've a last minute poll.

EDIT: crap. Just saw that I  got the page range wrong.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2019, 03:35 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT strips 4086-4086 (9th-13th September 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2019, 00:18 »

No telling when we'll be getting strips this week or even if. Power and internet are totally out in Halifax due to damage caused by the violent autumnal storm that was Hurricane Dorian.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2019, 02:29 »

I had forgot Jeph had moved out there. Hope he's OK.

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2019, 04:52 »

Same here.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2019, 05:30 »

Quote from: Jeph on Patreon
Sorry for the late update, we got nailed by a hurricane last night and I probably won't have electricity back until Tuesday. I have plans in place to get someone to post for me from elsewhere, but things might be spotty while I wait for power. Thanks for your understanding.

Source Link (NOTE: 9/9/19 strip visible at link for Patreon subscribers)
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2019, 08:09 »

His Twitter feed makes it sound like nobody got hurt.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2019, 12:20 »

His Twitter feed makes it sound like nobody got hurt.
That's a relief.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2019, 13:14 »

Video last night showed a crane being blown over in Nova Scotia.  They're probably used to things like Nor'Easters and winter storms, but a hurricane is likely an unknown for them.   Hope everything gets sorted out soon.

Gyrre

« Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2019, 17:34 »

Video last night showed a crane being blown over in Nova Scotia.  They're probably used to things like Nor'Easters and winter storms, but a hurricane is likely an unknown for them.   Hope everything gets sorted out soon.

I know this is serious, but my minds eye immediately went to a sleeping common crane (the bird) being blown over into the water and startling awake.

I'm from Kansas. It's mostly tornadoes,torrential rain and flash-floods for bad weather.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2019, 22:51 »

Bubbles is a very good person.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2019, 22:56 »

I'm surprised at the set up of the bag, how are you supposed to any footwork without tripping over the base?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2019, 23:18 »

I approve of today's comic for various reasons. However, the main one is that I've long wanted an arc where Bubbles becomes Sam's Sensei-sama. I think it would do Sam good to learn discipline and I think that it would do Bubbles good to find something positive to do with her military training.

To me, such a development would be recognising something of which I've been increasingly aware with regard to the Bean family: Whilst Jim is a loving and responsible parent, it's a simple fact that he doesn't have enough time to teach things that Sam really needs to know about responsibility, discipline, politeness and the like. On the other hand, Faye and Bubbles are in the perfect position to do this and both have the benefit of having personal bad experiences to know why the lessons are so important.

I'm surprised at the set up of the bag, how are you supposed to any footwork without tripping over the base?

Sam probably isn't doing any 'footwork'. Right now, she's learning to punch without breaking her wrist.

P.S.:
I just want to express my full approval for Sam's stated ambition about 'what she wants to be when she grows up'. It's totally nonsensical, of course, but it just feels right for a young teenager who likes the things she likes. It reminds us that, yes, she is still a child.
~~~~

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2019, 23:26 »

If thats the case then Bubbles is a poor teacher, check out where Sams feet are in relation to the bag. For Sam to be hitting the bag properly she'll be having lean forward and be off balance

Yeah I know its nit picking but if you're going to set up a character as being a combat bad ass, like Bubbles, then you have to have her demonstrate even a slight knowledge of fighting

I mean I'm not saying hes as bad as David Willis but its the details you know

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #13 on: 09 Sep 2019, 00:52 »

Chairoplanes
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2019, 03:06 »

The only true chair aviation is the Lawnchair Larry Mk1 home-made cluster helium cell dirigible.
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #15 on: 09 Sep 2019, 04:04 »

The chains supporting that bag look massively thick. I wonder what the bag itself is made from? Kevlar? There seem to be heavy-bags on stands that are just as awkward in real life:

Now I'm imagining Bubbles practicing on the 木人樁, but far from being a "wooden man", it would be high-tensile steel (with dents in it).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #16 on: 09 Sep 2019, 06:42 »

The chains supporting that bag look massively thick. I wonder what the bag itself is made from? Kevlar? There seem to be heavy-bags on stands that are just as awkward in real life:
the framework appears to be a engine hoist of some type.  Take the bag down, it'll allow them to move a crushbot-type torso easily around the shop.
Now I'm imagining Bubbles practicing on the 木人樁, but far from being a "wooden man", it would be high-tensile steel (with dents in it).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #17 on: 09 Sep 2019, 09:13 »

Was the thought about the engine hoist supposed to be outside the quote block?

I can imagine Bubbles improvising a punching bag stand but the skate park would presumably have had real ones.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 09 Sep 2019, 20:07 »

It looks like it is the same stand/hoist thing as they used for Momo: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3850

I love seeing Bubbles being a mentor to Sam.   :lol:

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #19 on: 09 Sep 2019, 22:09 »

Keen eye and steady hand.  Job skills required for a good spray artist, too!  And the keen eye will help in spotting and catching snakes.

awkwardness

« Reply #20 on: 09 Sep 2019, 22:09 »

I stopped lurking for this post. The one you showed aren't high quality are meant to be portable, Bubbles' bag is on a makeshift lift for convenience because I don't think she can attach it to the rafters without a long chain making it pointless to do so. She might use it for her own benefit but it's more of a way of getting out aggression and calming someone than for doing real boxing/MMA/self-defense things.

As for her footwork, she's off to the side instead of in front of it...I think Jeph did that on purpose to show it off more than anything serious. And in my view, it's got enough clearance for her footwork especially if she has bubbles moving it to emulate a human moving around.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 09 Sep 2019, 23:18 »

Wow! In that last panel, I think that we are disabused of any notions that Sam isn't serious about this! Stars in her eyes and cradling the Mystical Healing Device as if it was the greatest treasure that she ever saw!

The way Faye is handling this is so sweet. She's playing up to Sam's illusions and using them to make the girl see this whole thing a lot more seriously than she normally would. She's obviously realised that Sam will enjoy the learning experience more if it fits into her mental narrative of the 'magic' of what Faye and Bubbles do. Meanwhile, Chimevera is learning more about parenting skills than I suspect she ever imagined from this episode!
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #22 on: 09 Sep 2019, 23:19 »

Hey, Sam has to start somewhere.

A hot glue gun is a fairly safe start. Assuming she's got the good sense not to touch the metal at the end.  :wink: :-D

EDIT: Forgot to indicate facetiousness with emoticons.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2019, 04:54 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #23 on: 09 Sep 2019, 23:35 »

OMG she gave Sam a hot glue gun?? Run for the hills!!  :-D

Seriously though, I suppose that's one of the least dangerous tools they could give her -
still, Sam being Sam, I expect minor burns (for someone in the vicinity) are still possible... 

That picture of the bag reminded me of a time I was in a department store with my
11 year old daughter - we were in the sports department and came across a heavy bag
assembled and on display.
She said "Cool!" - and whirled in a beautifully executed roundhouse kick that set the whole
apparatus creaking.
I remember thinking two things:
"Well, I wouldn't buy one of those if an 11 year old can make it shake that badly..."
and,
"Where the hell did she learn that??"

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

awkwardness

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2019, 00:10 »

OMG she gave Sam a hot glue gun?? Run for the hills!!  :-D

Seriously though, I suppose that's one of the least dangerous tools they could give her -
still, Sam being Sam, I expect minor burns (for someone in the vicinity) are still possible... 

Least dangerous? Experience in my family begs to differ   :oops: My niece and I have managed to burn ourselves while using one...I did it three times before I was banned from getting close to one- I couldn't even reload the glue sticks when it was shut off! Don't get me started on sanders, screw guns, and drills- even manual versions have caused scars and explanations that caused laughs for years.

That picture of the bag reminded me of a time I was in a department store with my
11 year old daughter - we were in the sports department and came across a heavy bag
assembled and on display.
She said "Cool!" - and whirled in a beautifully executed roundhouse kick that set the whole
apparatus creaking.
I remember thinking two things:
"Well, I wouldn't buy one of those if an 11 year old can make it shake that badly..."
and,
"Where the hell did she learn that??"

I just hope she learned it from a self-defense course taught at school or an afterschool program because if she's learning moves like that just from TV that young lady might be a danger to any guy who upsets her  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2019, 03:39 »

A hot glue gun is a fairly safe start. Assuming she's got the good sense not to touch the metal at the end.

You realise that this is the same girl who wanted to see what would happen if she touched the spinning end of a drill, right? Same girl who lost a chunk of fingernail, right? I think when they were handing out sense, Sam was out looking for snakes.

Gyrre

« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2019, 04:52 »

A hot glue gun is a fairly safe start. Assuming she's got the good sense not to touch the metal at the end.

You realise that this is the same girl who wanted to see what would happen if she touched the spinning end of a drill, right? Same girl who lost a chunk of fingernail, right? I think when they were handing out sense, Sam was out looking for snakes.

Right, sorry. Forgot the  :wink: face.
a real-ass gaddam sword

TheEvilDog

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2019, 04:58 »

Too late, now you must forever live the shame of not including you facetious emoticons! Forever! :laugh:

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2019, 05:20 »

A hot glue gun is a fairly safe start. Assuming she's got the good sense not to touch the metal at the end.  :wink: :-D
This IS Sam we're talking about...   :wink:

Hot glue.  On dermal - plastic or rubber-based dermal, which has to stretch?  That isn't going to last long; I hope Faye got all the fluids cleaned out or she's gonna leak all over everything...  Chimevera must be planning to come back for the replacement femur and butt implants another day. 
This space intentionally left almost blank.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:02 »

I would imagine Faye is using the hot glue gun in a similar fashion to superglue was used for treating medical injuries - its a stop gap until they can so proper repairs. Plus, the glue would probably be peeled off when they go back to do proper repairs.

Or more likely, Faye is trying to make Sam feel better about how she's missed the gross repairs.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:59 »

Any boy who messes with Sam will be in a world of hurt.

And Beronica will have plenty to of help digging a hole to dispose of the body.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2019, 09:19 »

I would imagine Faye is using the hot glue gun in a similar fashion to superglue was used for treating medical injuries - its a stop gap ...
Yep, I know.  But as soon as Chimevera flexes that leg and the dermal coating moves, hot glue is going to peel right off.  Super glue might have been a better choice, given that the thigh dermal coating is going to have to be replaced when the butt implants go in.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2019, 09:59 »

I stopped lurking for this post. The one you showed aren't high quality are meant to be portable, Bubbles' bag is on a makeshift lift for convenience because I don't think she can attach it to the rafters without a long chain making it pointless to do so. She might use it for her own benefit but it's more of a way of getting out aggression and calming someone than for doing real boxing/MMA/self-defense things.

As for her footwork, she's off to the side instead of in front of it...I think Jeph did that on purpose to show it off more than anything serious. And in my view, it's got enough clearance for her footwork especially if she has bubbles moving it to emulate a human moving around.

Welcome, new person!

I think you've got it right. We've seen Bubbles doing combative things to blow off steam but I can't think of a single case of honing combat skills.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2019, 11:07 »

Yep, I know.  But as soon as Chimevera flexes that leg and the dermal coating moves, hot glue is going to peel right off.  Super glue might have been a better choice, given that the thigh dermal coating is going to have to be replaced when the butt implants go in.
True if those are common, off the shelf hobby store glue sticks.  However, in the QCverse DD brand (for 'Droid Dermal) glue sticks are readily available through commercial vendors.  It's specifically formulated for flexibility and can be ordered in any standard colors.  I'm surprised Sam hasn't encountered it before.  Some of her clients are members of the AI analog of the Bod-Mod community and have tears repaired in jarringly contrasting colors.  It's like scarification is for meatfolk.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2019, 15:13 »

True if those are common, off the shelf hobby store glue sticks.  However, in the QCverse DD brand (for 'Droid Dermal) glue sticks are readily available through commercial vendors.  It's specifically formulated for flexibility and can be ordered in any standard colors.  I'm surprised Sam hasn't encountered it before.  Some of her clients are members of the AI analog of the Bod-Mod community and have tears repaired in jarringly contrasting colors.  It's like scarification is for meatfolk.

That's right!  :laugh:   - and even in our own mundane world (where AI's don't wander the streets), there are already a number of hot-melt glue alternatives for different purposes. I'm sure someone (in Jeph's slightly more advanced universe) has developed hot-glues for instant AI repairs, sort of like bandages for humans.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

awkwardness

« Reply #35 on: 10 Sep 2019, 16:49 »

I would imagine Faye is using the hot glue gun in a similar fashion to superglue was used for treating medical injuries - its a stop gap ...

It's likely but it might interact with the dermal coating thermally or chemically allowing it to latch onto both sides of the wound closing it.

But it's probably just cosmetic and for Sam's feelings

awkwardness

« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2019, 16:51 »

Welcome, new person!

I think you've got it right. We've seen Bubbles doing combative things to blow off steam but I can't think of a single case of honing combat skills.

Some skills can't be honed directly but the movements can be, I don't think you want her showing how she could easily kill another AI or human while customers are there  :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 10 Sep 2019, 17:53 »

One interesting thing about Bubbles is that she's kept her leadership attributes but seems to have left being a warrior behind.

It's noteworthy for example that she never fought at the fight club.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #38 on: 10 Sep 2019, 18:03 »

Bear in mind that Bubbles was a soldier.

Punchbot is a CPA.

That's a massive difference in ability and skill. It might even be a case that Bubbles would have dominated the fight club. Or more likely, she was afraid that actually fighting would trigger some of her PTSD.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #39 on: 10 Sep 2019, 19:38 »

Obviously Sam has never been into arts and crafts.

I'm gonna miss Chimevera when this arc is over.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 10 Sep 2019, 23:24 »

Today's comic is another reminder of some of Sam's subtle characterisations. Yes, she's hyperactive, has weak- to non-existent boundary awareness and can be something of a brat. However, she's genuinely sweet and cares about others. I think that her whole hesitation in this comic is her fear of hurting Chimevera in some way.

Meanwhile, I do think that Chimevera is learning what I learned when I went into hospital to have ingrown wisdom teeth removed: There is nothing more disturbing than being used as a demonstration model for the students.

How do we square the circle of Sam being worried about hurting Chimevera with the glue gun with her wanting to poke her femur? Because Chimevera now passes as human rather than an anatomical model and that's triggering her empathy instinct. I wonder if RL surgeons have the same experience of having a reaction to seeing the person rather than a close-up view of their bits?
~~~~

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:52 »

How do we square the circle of Sam being worried about hurting Chimevera with the glue gun with her wanting to poke her femur? Because Chimevera now passes as human rather than an anatomical model and that's triggering her empathy instinct. I wonder if RL surgeons have the same experience of having a reaction to seeing the person rather than a close-up view of their bits?

Caffeine is a helluva drug to the uninitiated sometimes; so, too, is the power of suggestion, I've found. Kids Sam's age seem to be more likely to experience stronger effects from that kind of thing, more or less because they think they should. Add to that the fact that Sam is already quite high-energy and excitable, and the kind of thoughts that are making her hesitant and nervous now end up quite neatly obfuscated.

tl;dr: She was jazzed on caffeine, and not considering ramifications with 100% clarity, as seems to be the case now.

On the "power of suggestion" note, teenagers can be both incredibly smart, and incredibly dumb. I vividly remember being in the ninth grade and, on a lark, swearing with all seriousness to my friends that asthma inhalers could have "drug-like effects" if people without asthma used them. Cue them each taking a puff and proceeding to act high for the rest of the period. They felt pretty silly and embarrassed when I told them the truth, but at least it had the effect I'd hoped for, which was keeping them from taking it out of my backpack to give each other aerosol burns with it :-D

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2019, 08:10 »

Sam, this is your chance to be creative. Do a spray in hot glue!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #43 on: 11 Sep 2019, 10:21 »

I wonder if RL surgeons have the same experience of having a reaction to seeing the person rather than a close-up view of their bits?

Here is an anecdote.

From "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", there's a description of her autopsy.

The people conducting it were matter of factly taking out organs, recording their weight, and other objective sciencey things. Then they looked at her feet and noticed her toenails were painted. Suddenly the picture of the goblet changed into a picture of two faces, and they felt like they were slicing open a human who had tried to be pretty even while dying in agony.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2019, 11:34 »

It's likely but it might interact with the dermal coating thermally or chemically allowing it to latch onto both sides of the wound closing it.

But it's probably just cosmetic and for Sam's feelings

Also worth noting that certain AI components seem designed for easy maintenance; for example, Momo's dermal covering can be removed and placed in the dishwasher for routine cleaning (though Momo has stated preference for taking a shower instead.)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2019, 12:50 »

The people conducting it were matter of factly taking out organs, recording their weight, and other objective sciencey things. Then they looked at her feet and noticed her toenails were painted. Suddenly the picture of the goblet changed into a picture of two faces, and they felt like they were slicing open a human who had tried to be pretty even while dying in agony.
I used to work in a morgue, so while I can't speak from a surgery POV, that's exactly how it works. For the longest time, the gruesome things I saw and worked with were just that - things, bereft of agency (although still treated with respect). Management had a strict and plastered-everywhere policy of 'if you need to leave for any reason, leave first, call and explain later'. The new guys, myself among them, never understood that policy until the one case that 'changed the picture' for each of us, and then either had to bug out and find a new job, or take a day and come back with renewed purpose. (For me, it was seeing the same shoes I had just bought for my daughter on the feet of one of the bodies we were cataloguing.)

Dicrostonyx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #46 on: 11 Sep 2019, 12:51 »

I've a question for crafters from the last comic. At the end of 4088, Jacques's parting remark is "wait till they realize the glue gun isn't even plugged in yet". My admittedly limited experience with glue guns was that you plugged them into a docking station to melt the glue but operation was cordless. Is that a different technology or am I just confused? And yes, I realise this is a minor point.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #47 on: 11 Sep 2019, 13:21 »

Google provides the answer.

Although common sense would tell you that there would be different types of glue guns for different purposes. Industrial grade might require a continuous power supply that a battery might not be able to provide. A hobbyist might just have something that charges for five minutes.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #48 on: 11 Sep 2019, 14:22 »

A hobbyist like me has a cheap one that plugs in; docking stations cost extra!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #49 on: 11 Sep 2019, 14:32 »

I've a question for crafters from the last comic. At the end of 4088, Jacques's parting remark is "wait till they realize the glue gun isn't even plugged in yet". My admittedly limited experience with glue guns was that you plugged them into a docking station to melt the glue but operation was cordless. Is that a different technology or am I just confused? And yes, I realise this is a minor point.

It may be that I've always used cheap/old ones, but most hot glue I've used required a plug and provided constant heat to a funnel that you jammed the gluestick into.  It then melted the end in the funnel enough to force it through the hole.  I've never handled a wireless hot glue gun or even seen one in person.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up