the hayfever
the people who get a summer cold/flu and don't stay the hell home
the familial travel obligations
the road work
other please specify
i love ever aspect of summer
spathe ham

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4101-4105 (September 30th-October 4th)  (Read 16208 times)

artag

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT strips 4101-4105 (September 30th-October 4th)
« Reply #50 on: 03 Oct 2019, 01:17 »

I think Jeph’s comment at the bottom of the strip is important and we should all respect his wishes in this matter.

Give peas a chance.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #51 on: 03 Oct 2019, 01:52 »

Regarding Emu diet - they are omnivores, so all of the above, plus insects, lizards, small mammals...
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #52 on: 03 Oct 2019, 02:03 »

Fun fact: Today (in QC-time) started with strip 4061, when Winslow wakes up, wonders what to do with the day and decides to watch pidgeons. Now we are at strip 4103.
That‘s 43 strips engulfing one single day. More than eight weeks in real time. Maybe that‘s a record? Can anyone think of a single day that has been covered by more strips? Maybe the summer party at Emily‘s parents house?

TM
But how many of these strips would be happening simultaneously?
"Meanwhile, at Coffee of Doom..." "Meanwhile at a terrible convenience store." That sort of thing.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #53 on: 03 Oct 2019, 02:56 »

I wondered when Winslow stopped speaking in rectangular (AI) speech bubbles...looks like it was just today. Someone might wanna nudge Jeph...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #54 on: 03 Oct 2019, 03:00 »

Also, in a right and just world, Untitled Emu Comic should be a million-seller along with Untitled Goose Game.
I oughtta know, I've been chased/attacked by both, and emus are definitely more annoying!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #55 on: 03 Oct 2019, 03:04 »

3... 2... 1...

Give peas a chance.

And there it is.  :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #56 on: 03 Oct 2019, 08:51 »

The really weird part of this conversation is how Bubbles isn't really participating in it at all beyond these weird 'I want/I could' interpositions. It's almost as if she wants to boast in front of Faye and Winslow for some reason. Is she getting bored? Does she want to test her superior combat-optimised chassis against something?
Yes; she wants to seek out and find an intermittent emu or the most recent equivalent.  I suspect she's a little bored and feeling challenged that everyone else has seen this beastie, but not her (Faye doesn't seem to care if she sees it or not).  And even if she doesn't see the thing, she's still fascinated by the idea and wanting to train her own sensors on the area.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #57 on: 03 Oct 2019, 09:15 »

Good hearted|CPUed Winslow - He considers Jones, Robot Emu Scientist Lady (damn, I've spaced on her name), and the Emu all to be his friends.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #58 on: 03 Oct 2019, 10:11 »

RoboScienceMasterEmu doesn't have a canon name yet, so you can't have forgotten it. Some forumites have been calling her "Chimevera" but that's strictly headcanon.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #59 on: 03 Oct 2019, 10:40 »

I prefer “Mint” as a placeholder myself. At least I know how to spell it.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

OldGoat

« Reply #60 on: 03 Oct 2019, 12:13 »

RoboScienceMasterEmu doesn't have a canon name yet, so you can't have forgotten it. Some forumites have been calling her "Chimevera" but that's strictly headcanon.
Thanks, Zeb.  That's the one I was trying to remember.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #61 on: 03 Oct 2019, 13:04 »

I've been privately thinking of her as Sciencemaster Katie from Scenes from a Multiverse, due to similarities in color palette and a propensity for doing strange things with animals.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 03 Oct 2019, 13:30 »

I think Jeph’s comment at the bottom of the strip is important and we should all respect his wishes in this matter.

Give peas a chance.

Carrot juice is murder?

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #63 on: 03 Oct 2019, 13:32 »

I wondered when Winslow stopped speaking in rectangular (AI) speech bubbles...looks like it was just today. Someone might wanna nudge Jeph...

I spotted that too, something about the page was bugging me, and it took me a few minutes to figure it out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #64 on: 03 Oct 2019, 17:55 »

So... Winslow is patient zero for the Singularity? 

Whose speech bubbles will turn next? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 03 Oct 2019, 18:59 »

Strip is up! 

I’m curious about what ramen is considered not good by Marigold.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #66 on: 03 Oct 2019, 19:28 »

Regarding Emu diet - they are omnivores, so all of the above, plus insects, lizards, small mammals...
The Zoo, after a rain. I found a couple of stranded nightcrawlers and tossed them into the emu pen. Bam! Zam! Gone!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #67 on: 03 Oct 2019, 22:29 »

Strip is up! 

tThere’s no such thing as bad instant raman.  Just god instant ramen and instant ramen.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #68 on: 03 Oct 2019, 23:15 »

Just in case we needed to be reminded that May's chassis really is in bad state. I'm thinking that this is a 'dislocated joint' effect where, because the joint has come loose before, it's much more likely for it to happen again. Basically, the sooner that Roko gets May a new 'home' the better because this one is not going to remain even minimally viable for much longer!

I suspect that this is the start of an arc when May talks to Dale and Marigold about her new human toy and they encourage her to go for it (because it's pretty obvious that she's crushing on him). IIRC, Marigold knows Sven personally through Angus and may have some unique insights on him.

As a former shut-in, I suspect that Marigold is a ramen connoisseur (having likely lived on the stuff) and thus has a gradation scale on the quality of the product that is far more subtly detailed than most people could ever imagine.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #69 on: 03 Oct 2019, 23:18 »

The really weird part of this conversation is how Bubbles isn't really participating in it at all beyond these weird 'I want/I could' interpositions. It's almost as if she wants to boast in front of Faye and Winslow for some reason. Is she getting bored? Does she want to test her superior combat-optimised chassis against something?
Yes; she wants to seek out and find an intermittent emu or the most recent equivalent.  I suspect she's a little bored and feeling challenged that everyone else has seen this beastie, but not her (Faye doesn't seem to care if she sees it or not).  And even if she doesn't see the thing, she's still fascinated by the idea and wanting to train her own sensors on the area.

Yes. She's got abilities she's not using. Many intelligent beings find that uncomfortable.

Now I really want a companion AI. A friend who has a carbon monoxide detector plus a social protocol database -- what more could you want?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #70 on: 04 Oct 2019, 04:33 »

Did Dale just immediately go up to May and pull down her pants?  :o  I mean...  sure, this is May we're talking about, but still...  personal space, dude!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #71 on: 04 Oct 2019, 04:56 »

I think when the hip popped, it pushed the pants down. Either that or Dale has lifted the hem of her shirt to get a proper look. Or a combination of both.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #72 on: 04 Oct 2019, 05:00 »

Did Dale just immediately go up to May and pull down her pants?  :o  I mean...  sure, this is May we're talking about, but still...  personal space, dude!

I'm not sure really but there is an awful lot of missing context. Is there a 'missing panel' where May asks him to look at the damage? Is there precedent for him carrying out temporary repairs on her chassis?

In any case, in moral terms, it's a bit like exposing a friend somewhat to examine an injury of some kind. The necessity of the moment distorts the boundary arguments somewhat.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #73 on: 04 Oct 2019, 06:07 »

Dale might've pushed the shirt up/pants down a little so neither will get cought popping the foot back in.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #74 on: 04 Oct 2019, 06:23 »

I am mightily amused at this post being made in response to the very panel in which May declared the inevitability of the moment getting misinterpreted.

I’m sure if May’s space were invaded, she would not be shy about saying so.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #75 on: 04 Oct 2019, 08:05 »

It's a little detail, but I'm happy that Marigold's first response was "May? what happened to your hip?" and not "Dale? Why are your hands on May's hip?" That's a much more mature response than she would've had when she first started dating Dale.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #76 on: 04 Oct 2019, 11:33 »

May: "ups and downs"

Me: Snerk.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #77 on: 04 Oct 2019, 11:43 »

It's a little detail, but I'm happy that Marigold's first response was "May? what happened to your hip?" and not "Dale? Why are your hands on May's hip?" That's a much more mature response than she would've had when she first started dating Dale.
Also, she looks much more comfortable in her own skin too. Good for her, I think.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #78 on: 04 Oct 2019, 16:41 »

One wonders if 'fluids' in the socket are having a effect.

Or if May cleaned that up, after.  :-P :evil:

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #79 on: 04 Oct 2019, 19:10 »

Double post maybe, but also, kudos to May for remaining upright, because if my entire leg physically detached I'm pretty sure I'd be on the floor, pain or no.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

cybersmurf

« Reply #80 on: 05 Oct 2019, 10:13 »

Double post maybe, but also, kudos to May for remaining upright, because if my entire leg physically detached I'm pretty sure I'd be on the floor, pain or no.

Maybe she managed to stop in that one position where she wouldn't fully detach immediately, and Dale was swift enough to keep her from falling.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #81 on: 06 Oct 2019, 05:58 »

One wonders if 'fluids' in the socket are having a effect.

Or if May cleaned that up, after.  :-P :evil:
We might find out Monday.

Methinks the warranty for her chassis has long since expired. Elsewise that might have voided it.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

OldGoat

« Reply #82 on: 06 Oct 2019, 08:44 »

In any case, in moral terms, it's a bit like exposing a friend somewhat to examine an injury of some kind. The necessity of the moment distorts the boundary arguments somewhat.
Exactly.  Dale (who is probably scrupulous about keeping his First Aid and CPR cards up to date) would revert to experience and training when confronted with a seriously injured person and would immediately expose the area to assess the damage.  Even Momo the Modest would not object.  Dale's actions are absolutely appropriate.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #83 on: 07 Oct 2019, 13:06 »

... when confronted with a seriously injured person and would immediately expose the area to assess the damage.  Even Momo the Modest would not object.  Dale's actions are absolutely appropriate.
And notice that only the area under consideration is uncovered.  Not that May has any dangly bits to uncover and have to simulate embarrassment about. 

And I doubt she would simulate embarrassment even if Dale took her pants down completely - he's seen her in the french maids outfit after all.  If anything, that kind of exposure in front of Marigold might cause May some (what's the AI equivalent of?) psychic discomfort simply because she doesn't want to have to talk Marigold down from the ledge about Dale seeing whatever.  Of course, this raises the question of what May wears on laundry day - I'm sure AIs have to wash their clothes too, and May for sure if her chassis is leaking...
This space intentionally left almost blank.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up