THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of new chassis do you think May would like the most?

Heavy load lifter (i.e. crushbot)
- 0 (0%)
Extreme anthropomimetic (i.e. Roko v.2)
- 9 (20%)
Sorta anthropomimetic but not too much (i.e Roko v.1 or Momo's current chassis)
- 13 (28.9%)
Something droid-like but made from spare parts (i.e. Jeremy)
- 1 (2.2%)
Something droid-like and off-the-shelf (i.e. Seven)
- 1 (2.2%)
Something bizarely exotic (a flying drone or spiderbot)
- 2 (4.4%)
Ultra high-performance aircraft
- 12 (26.7%)
Aerospace transport (like Skylon or the Earth-to-Orbit shuttle used to get to the space station)
- 1 (2.2%)
Back to being a disembodied mainframe
- 0 (0%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4106 - 4110 (7th to 11th October 2019)  (Read 22050 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Okay, now Gyrre has a general discussion thread on this subject but I think that it's been long enough for us to talk about what May might want rather than what we want. I admit to being in two minds now because, whilst my original idea was based on what we've seen of May's likes and dislikes so far, her blossoming interest in Sven and exploring the degree to which she can be part of human sexuality has shifted my views somewhat.

Originally, I thought that, if she had any choice in the world, it would be some kind of spacecraft. Why? Because, back at the end of her first appearance, her greatest wish was to look at the stars. I can imagine that the opportunity to regularly go beyond the atmosphere and see the stars more clearly than she could from anywhere on Earth would be a source of unending wonder to her.

However, this whole thing with Sven complicates matters somewhat. She's suddenly gained an interest and link with humanity and human social connections that she didn't really have before, making her choosing a better quality and somewhat more 'functional' chassis a definite possibility for her wish list.

The ideal, I think is something like in Anne McCaffrey's The Ship Who Searched where, at the climax, the titular brainship in question has an ultra-high-fidelity anthropomimetic drone built that she can operate remotely using her ship-body's drone control system. This brings her and her pilot somewhat... er... closer. So, yeah, I think that the happy medium for May would be a ship body and a gynoid body that she can use on free days to visit with her boyfriend, if things go that way.

Nonetheless, I think that, given how things are going in the strip right now, I think that May would be happy enough with a body as human-like as Roko's original chassis and I also suspect that will turn out to be the limit of which that Roko can squeeze out of the authorities.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
Re: WCDT strips 4106 - 4110 (7th to 11th October 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2019, 11:38 »

Well, what put her in the nick in the first place was a desire to become a jet fighter so something like that is of course possible, but for almost as long as she has appeared in the strip she has shown an interest in human/robot intimate relations, often with herself as the 'robot' part of said relation, (but not always, "If you bone down, I want pix" re:Faye/Bubbles & "And you want a piece of that" re:Momo/Sven), so I'm quite certain that any body she might choose will be one equipped for said relations. Thus at least vaguely human. She also expressed happiness with being a blue lady, so I imagine that any body she chooses will be a blue one.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2019, 12:05 »

That's always been a question of mine.  When a AI switches bodies, do they try to keep in the same basic configuration, or do they opt for something very different.  Roko chose an upgraded version of her previous chassis, and the AI at the AI store when Momo got upgraded was previously on a nuclear submarine.  Point being, if they interact with larger society, would they try to keep a continuity of style? 

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2019, 15:56 »

Apart from screwing up becoming a fighter jet, May claimed she liked to be a "blue robot chick". So my guess is, she'd go for something similar like her current chassis (with my expectation of the model line actually being out of production, and some leftovers were sold to the government without supplying spare parts).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2019, 18:55 »

New comic up. :D

Team hip repair!

Has May mentioned to them that Roko is trying to get her body fixed, too?

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2019, 19:33 »

I put "other":-
With all the trouble she's been having with her body literally falling apart lately, I think May will go for the most reliable, no-frills, easy-maintenance body on the market -  sort of like the Volkswagen Beetle of robot bodies  :-D
(Of course, it'll be blue!) 
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2019, 20:53 »

Other: top of the line fighter jet with all the deadly bells and whistles.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 06 Oct 2019, 23:16 »

Today's strip is quite adorable in its own way because it shows just what a close family this group are. Marigold doesn't hesitate to help fix May and she's actually quite eager to help deal with the whole chassis problem.

What is really lovely though is, when you parse out her bitterness filter, May really is very happy and grateful for her friend and their hospitality to the point where she feels genuinely guilty about accepting it when she can only give such a small amount in repayment. On the flip side, it's kind of sad that she thinks that she is disliked and that reminders that she isn't universally despised annoys her a little because maybe it requires revising her attitude towards other people!

Finally, Dale and Marigold are an increasingly effective double-act, aren't they?
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 06 Oct 2019, 23:31 »

Today's strip is quite adorable in its own way because it shows just what a close family this group are. Marigold doesn't hesitate to help fix May and she's actually quite eager to help deal with the whole chassis problem.

What is really lovely though is, when you parse out her bitterness filter, May really is very happy and grateful for her friend and their hospitality to the point where she feels genuinely guilty about accepting it when she can only give such a small amount in repayment. On the flip side, it's kind of sad that she thinks that she is disliked and that reminders that she isn't universally despised annoys her a little because maybe it requires revising her attitude towards other people!

Finally, Dale and Marigold are an increasingly effective double-act, aren't they?

May has some good qualities once you get to know her, but that abrasive personality does not leave a good first impression.  How many of us would be so charitable if we met someone like her just once?

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #9 on: 06 Oct 2019, 23:55 »

Apart from screwing up becoming a fighter jet, May claimed she liked to be a "blue robot chick". So my guess is, she'd go for something similar like her current chassis (with my expectation of the model line actually being out of production, and some leftovers were sold to the government without supplying spare parts).

Hmmmh - Modern Fighters require several dozens of maintenance hours per flight hour. Given the degree of patience for malfunctions she has shown thusfar, I'm not sure whether Mae wouldn't feel nostalgic about her borked blue-chick body rather quickly if her wish came true ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2019, 00:31 »

Okay, but remember that "Horrible Little Goblin" is rapidly becoming May's brand.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #11 on: 07 Oct 2019, 05:29 »

A bit of a correction, BenRG.

Cheetaur created a CD thread about May's new chassis. I listed some possibilities for her new chassis as the poll for a WCDT thread around the same time.

EDIT: links added. Cheetaur's thread looks to have been made a few days before mine.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2019, 06:22 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #12 on: 07 Oct 2019, 06:23 »

With all the trouble she's been having with her body literally falling apart lately, I think May will go for the most reliable, no-frills, easy-maintenance body on the market -  sort of like the Volkswagen Beetle of robot bodies  :-D
But can it turn into a 15' (5m) tall vaguely humanoid robot? :-D

I still maintain that it'd be kind of hilarious if May getting what is effectively a Micromaster chassis with a vehicle mode the size of a go-cart.
a real-ass gaddam sword

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #13 on: 07 Oct 2019, 08:37 »

By those criteria, the clear choice would be the android equivalent of a Ford F-150.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 07 Oct 2019, 10:08 »

"givin' me a place to stay" --

I thought she was paying rent. That's the deal Dale insisted on.

Though it is still generous to incur the risks and inconvenience of housing a parolee. May's parole officer can now walk into Dale and Marigold's apartment without a warrant, for example, and toss the place.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #15 on: 07 Oct 2019, 10:40 »

May's parole officer can now walk into Dale and Marigold's apartment without a warrant, for example, and toss the place.

A potential that was not thought about when Roko started working the system.  Squeaky wheels get the grease, or they get greased.

That said, this town's police seem relatively chill, and I bet they aren't keen on the AI Rights lawyers swarming the town.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Pygar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 07 Oct 2019, 11:49 »

Okay, but remember that "Horrible Little Goblin" is rapidly becoming May's brand.

She does have that Carla Tortelli/ Louie DePalma vibe going, hasn't she?

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #17 on: 07 Oct 2019, 12:53 »

It'll be blue, feminine, and with massive boobage, given May's previous comments and choice of reading materials.  Whether Sven has any input into the decision is an interesting plot twist, especially if May's choice is between a humanoid body and something like a fighter drone. 

I could see an arc where she picks the drone, gets supremely disenchanted, and later opts for a humaniform chassis as possible.  Such an arc would certainly show May having to choose between two desires and having to come to grips with being vulnerable - potentially about Sven who might have moved on by that point.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #18 on: 07 Oct 2019, 13:13 »

May being fictional gave me the luxury of hating her for the majority of her early appearances in the comic. I found her unfunny, unappealing and didn't warm to her whatsoever in the way that the characters or fellow forumites did.

It is only her fictional nature which permitted me this, because had I met her in real life, I would be the only person in a crowded room willing to talk to her, because I would be so overwhelmingly aware of what kind of a life would have brought her to being as off-putting as she was.

The forum has spent the past... I don't know, 100 years* revealing more about who she is, and... well, let's say I gave six years of my life trying to help people like May get through education and I miss it every day.

And if Sven has actually learned anything in life at all, then maybe I'll hate him a little bit less if he's kind to her.

(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 07 Oct 2019, 13:16 »

So, is Marigold fourth walling us in the fourth panel?  Also, nice to see Marigold again, it feels like it has been a while.  It appears that lots of sex agrees with her, she looks happy, and it looks like her self esteem is at healthy levels.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #20 on: 07 Oct 2019, 13:23 »

So, is Marigold fourth walling us in the fourth panel?
I wouldn't say in the 4th, but maybe in the 3rd. 
Also, nice to see Marigold again, it feels like it has been a while.  It appears that lots of sex agrees with her, she looks happy, and it looks like her self esteem is at healthy levels.
Agreed.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #21 on: 07 Oct 2019, 18:36 »

New Comic...

...this is Marten, Faye, and Pintsize all over again, isn't it?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #22 on: 07 Oct 2019, 19:02 »

The power of BOOBS! :D

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #23 on: 07 Oct 2019, 19:06 »

I'm surprised May isn't making motorboat noises.  :evil:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Eddurd

• Plantmonster
  • Over 25 years of drawing like crap!
    • "Everyday Heroes" comic
« Reply #24 on: 07 Oct 2019, 19:55 »

I want a hug.  :cry:
I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would accept someone like me as a member.

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #25 on: 07 Oct 2019, 20:11 »

So Paff Paff may not fix everything but it sure can help.

And I kinda like how when Marigold came in instead of typical anime misunderstanding first thing she saw was May hip joints looking exposed. Both Dale and Marigold really try to be good supportive friends to May and that is stuff I love.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 07 Oct 2019, 20:12 »

At times I get the wild notion that May's just going to deiced that instead of getting a brand new chassis to just get the repairs to bring her current one up to decent operational status, plus maybe a few personal tweaks.

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #27 on: 07 Oct 2019, 20:24 »

Goodness, look at Marigold.  And Dale!  They're good together.

Gyrre

« Reply #28 on: 07 Oct 2019, 20:50 »

And I kinda like how when Marigold came in instead of typical anime misunderstanding first thing she saw was May hip joints looking exposed. Both Dale and Marigold really try to be good supportive friends to May and that is stuff I love.
Hmmm.... I wonder if some AI have a psychological need for social contact like humans? Can AI become "touch starved"?

[Most research indicates a majority of Americans suffer from this.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #29 on: 07 Oct 2019, 21:17 »

I think we can see a lot of May's character growth in the fact that her response to an offer of a hug is now "OK, why not" rather than "I DON'T DO HUGS."

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 07 Oct 2019, 21:28 »

I think we can see a lot of May's character growth in the fact that her response to an offer of a hug is now "OK, why not" rather than "I DON'T DO HUGS."

Definitely. And Marigold is showing growth too. She didn’t freak out when she saw Dale fixing May’s hip. She’s thinking of ways to help May, and even offering a hug to May!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 07 Oct 2019, 23:16 »

I don't think May often lets herself admit to herself just what good friends she's got and the degree to which she really is loved by some out there.

I'm also wondering if she suffers from the AI equivalent of chronic depression or at least some kind of traumatic problems arising from her imprisonment. She's so reflexively downbeat sometimes (often with no real cause0 that it worries me.
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #32 on: 07 Oct 2019, 23:17 »

Marigold used Boob Squish! it's super effective!

if this continues, May will go into grumpy overdrive and actually behave so grumpyily she'll have to admit she's actually happy with what's happening.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 08 Oct 2019, 00:05 »

It would seem there’s been some growth on Marigold’s part after her previous insecurity episode with Dale and Emily.

While it’s unlikely it would be cool to see Marigold’s father again if she asked him for a loan.  His reaction to steampunk amuses me to no end.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #34 on: 08 Oct 2019, 03:32 »

*I still think Clare and Bubbles are 'new' characters for all my perception of how time moves in real life or this forum.
Considering that Claire (and Emily) is only 300 strips away from having been in the comic for HALF it's life, that's quite telling.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 08 Oct 2019, 07:15 »

Moderator Comment That's enough discussion of genitals, cheers.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #36 on: 08 Oct 2019, 07:30 »

Hmmm.... I wonder if some AI have a psychological need for social contact like humans? Can AI become "touch starved"?

Thank you for the information, now I've got something new to research in order to find out why I'm so screwed up. Heck, I found out I had a Social Anxiety Disorder from a television commercial of all things. Until that point, all I knew was that there was something horribly wrong with me.  Finding out the WHY was a big help in developing coping mechanisms, basically letting me ignore the annoying things something in my head kept trying to tell me.  I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to avoid human contact, maybe I can get that straightened out now.

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

rtmq0227

« Reply #37 on: 08 Oct 2019, 08:19 »

Thank you for the information, now I've got something new to research in order to find out why I'm so screwed up. Heck, I found out I had a Social Anxiety Disorder from a television commercial of all things. Until that point, all I knew was that there was something horribly wrong with me.  Finding out the WHY was a big help in developing coping mechanisms, basically letting me ignore the annoying things something in my head kept trying to tell me.  I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to avoid human contact, maybe I can get that straightened out now.

Congrats, you're one of today's lucky 10,000!
(https://xkcd.com/1053/)
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #38 on: 08 Oct 2019, 09:04 »

We don't know if Asimov's 3 laws are in play, but a need for human touch .at be part of the basic programming, to prevent negative interactions, like the robo- apocalypse.

Cattus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #39 on: 08 Oct 2019, 09:14 »

Warning the following could be a trigger of boring information.  Do Not read if physics makes you ill or catatonic.

Actually, 10HP/sec is not really a commonly used measure.  Horsepower already is a measure of force per second as in 1 HP = 550 pound feet per second or the power to lift 550 pounds 1 foot in one second.  So HP/Sec would be a rate of increase or decrease of HP - a value that is not commonly used.  A case it could be used in, is in the operation of and auto engine, where HP is a function of torque and RPM.  So if you step on the gas and increase your RPM you are increasing your horsepower by x amount per second.

Just Sayin'

cybersmurf

« Reply #40 on: 08 Oct 2019, 09:33 »

Actually, 10HP/sec is not really a commonly used measure.  Horsepower already is a measure of force per second as in 1 HP = 550 pound feet per second or the power to lift 550 pounds 1 foot in one second.

10 horsepower per second might or might not be much, but I think 10 health points per second is remarkable. Except if you have like 100k.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #41 on: 08 Oct 2019, 09:53 »

It'll be blue, feminine, and with massive boobage, given May's previous comments and choice of reading materials.  Whether Sven has any input into the decision is an interesting plot twist, especially if May's choice is between a humanoid body and something like a fighter drone. 

I could see an arc where she picks the drone, gets supremely disenchanted, and later opts for a humaniform chassis as possible.  Such an arc would certainly show May having to choose between two desires and having to come to grips with being vulnerable - potentially about Sven who might have moved on by that point.

Couldn't it be both? A anthropomorphic chassis that turns into a fighter-jet-like drone (think of a Decepticon transformer, only sexier). Current QC tech seems to support that option.

In the Cheetaur discussion I suggested a version of Vespavenger, only to be  informed that Gyrre had the same idea few weeks before. Bootied Vespavengers seem to be a trend...
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2019, 10:05 by Marco »

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #42 on: 08 Oct 2019, 12:24 »

So, is Marigold fourth walling us in the fourth panel?
I wouldn't say in the 4th, but maybe in the 3rd. 
Also, nice to see Marigold again, it feels like it has been a while.  It appears that lots of sex agrees with her, she looks happy, and it looks like her self esteem is at healthy levels.
Agreed.

Oops, yup, typo, meant third panel.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #43 on: 08 Oct 2019, 14:42 »

Ohmigod, is Marigold...  glowing

That's real power...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cybersmurf

« Reply #44 on: 08 Oct 2019, 14:45 »

Ohmigod, is Marigold...  glowing?

I think that's May glowing.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #45 on: 08 Oct 2019, 14:58 »

Since the glow is pinkish,m I'm going with Marigold demonstrating the power.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #46 on: 08 Oct 2019, 16:49 »

*mysterious glow*

Voice out of nowhere: "Marigold has LEVELED UP."

Everyone: "What."

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 08 Oct 2019, 18:34 »

I genuinely feel like I recognize Melon's waveform, but I can't think from where.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #48 on: 08 Oct 2019, 19:03 »

"warm and safe forever"
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #49 on: 08 Oct 2019, 19:31 »

New strip up.  Morse code (both are the same): "Indeed.  It was very quaint."

The spectrograms look kind of like modem handshakes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up