THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing Software  (Read 14337 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Writing Software
« on: 06 Oct 2019, 13:19 »

As my game world (between the Lore I'm writing, and what the PCs do) becomes more complex, I'm looking for a new way to keep everything organised, and to keep the mass of inconsistencies to a minimum.  Right now, the Lore consists of three LaTeX documents, which is great for printing, but not so much for keeping everything organised, since at least with Kile or TeXmaker, I'm stuck with a system that is pretty poor for annotating documents, save for commented text that I have to either search for, or scan through manually.  From what little looking around that I've done, it seems like my best options are Scrivener, or using a combination of Word and OneNote.  In the latter case, I don't know how well they integrate to suit my needs.  Either way, I'm out $100[1], but at least in the former case, I don't have to pay annually.  Or if anyone has other ideas, that could be extremely helpful.

[1] Even though Scrivener is only $50, I'd have to buy two copies or fuss with WINE on two computers to have both the mac and linux boxen covered.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Writing Software
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2019, 02:17 »

You could check out yWriter, which has some of the same features as Scrivener, but is free to use.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2019, 02:34 »

Sadly, alpha only on my primary platform, but I finally remembered to check alternativesto.net, so there are a couple of promising options there that would work on mac and linux (and without WINE on the latter).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2019, 04:24 »

There are a couple of promising options there, I'll agree, and I'll have a closer look at them myself, as I'm trying to restart a stalled project of mine.

Another option I used for a couple of projects, is celtx - the old free version is still floating around somewhere.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2019, 07:00 »

Probably not what you're looking for: Lyx has some more advanced commenting options that can be hidden both in the pre-parsed text you see in the editor as well as the compiled text, if you want to keep the .tex compatibility. Not at the level of dedicated writing software, but certainly better than Kile (shudder). Just in case you'd like to have some more flexibility writing maffs or CS stuff where you need ze zymbols.

Other advantage is the support for all major OS'.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2019, 08:32 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2019, 10:38 »

Hmm… there is a certain allure of not disrupting my workflow or having to fuss with manually copying stuff in from the pdf files.

Edit: The current preview build of kile isn't *too* bad, and is a marked improvement over earlier versions, especially with the split view and semi-live preview pane for the typeset document.  I'll have to check out Lyx and see what benefits it has over say, TeXmaker.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2019, 11:10 by hedgie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up