THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Favorite Halloween costumes to see or wear?

period
cute
scary
sexy
"spoopy"
funny/clever
other original character
cosplay/pop culture character
store bought
niche interest
sci-fi
fantasy
I prefer not to answer
none

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4121-4125 (October 28th - Nov 1st 2019)  (Read 15350 times)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: WCDT 4121-4125 (October 28th - Nov 1st 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 31 Oct 2019, 06:45 »

Quotes regarding "Art."
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 31 Oct 2019, 06:49 »

TL;DR Sam is a good kid at heart but does need to learn what is and isn't acceptable behavior.

This clearly isn't acceptable, and it seems time for Faye and Bubbles to set some clear boundaries. If I were them I would not be amused by this for a truckload of reasons, regardless of a good personal relationship with Sam.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #52 on: 31 Oct 2019, 10:29 »

Comic is up at last.

Reggie is pretty. 
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #53 on: 31 Oct 2019, 10:39 »

Oh, Faye! Never mind, trends are like the spring blossoms: They come and go. In a year's time, everyone will have forgotten about sprays and the like but they'll still need mods and repairs and that means you and Bubbles will still be there (barely breaking even but still there). Of course, I'm not entirely sure that even Sam will care about her spray artist career in six months time but that's a whole different issue!

Also: Yes, Bubbles, do it. I so want you to have, on the small of your back, a valentine heart with 'B+F 4EVA' inside!

Finally, I think that Sam must be going through a growth spurt; she's got very thin and lanky suddenly!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #54 on: 31 Oct 2019, 11:34 »

Yeah, the trend might fade away, but Union Robotics might go bust long before that happens.

I can feel where Faye is coming from, this is her and Bubbles' business, not Sam's. She's there as a sort of unpaid intern, she isn't contributing anything to the business and yet Sam's business is growing faster and stronger than UR. That's disheartening for anyone.

cybersmurf

« Reply #55 on: 31 Oct 2019, 12:07 »

Bubbles is too precious.

As weird as it may be, the way I see her, Bubbles has some character traits I totally adore.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #56 on: 31 Oct 2019, 12:34 »

Yeah, the trend might fade away, but Union Robotics might go bust long before that happens.

I can feel where Faye is coming from, this is her and Bubbles' business, not Sam's. She's there as a sort of unpaid intern, she isn't contributing anything to the business and yet Sam's business is growing faster and stronger than UR. That's disheartening for anyone.

Give Jeph a chance to move the story along.  Someone's chassis is going to need some work, and we've seen that at least some 'bots experience emotional trauma when damaged.  UR where they got their rad' spray will be the first place they think of, and it may seem like a safe haven when their butt is detached.  To be sure, Swordsmary is more apt to call Sam than to make an appointment through more conventional channels, but she'd end up in Faye & Bubb's care none the less.

Edit Nov 1, 2019 07:45 PDT Dumb-ass typos fixed.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2019, 07:47 by OldGoat »

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 31 Oct 2019, 13:37 »

Has it ever been established if Union Robotics gets a cut from the sprays?

I also agree that the sprays are a good way to get their name out there, but it seems like the work they do, they might need to figure out how to do more preventative maintenance instead of relying on damage repair.

cybersmurf

« Reply #58 on: 31 Oct 2019, 14:12 »

Yes.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #59 on: 31 Oct 2019, 15:57 »

Jeph has now mentioned the elephant in the room of Faye and Bubbles.

A synthetic pointed out to her companion, in front of Faye, that her companion is entirely biodegradable and impermanent.

Faye and Bubbles are already living together and have made an explicit verbal commitment to stay together. Legal documentation will follow, I am sure.

They will have to work through the fact that Bubbles is going to spend the next sixty years watching the wife she loves decline, get sick, and stop working with no chance of repair.

I will make a random guess that Bubbles will handle the issue better than Faye will.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #60 on: 31 Oct 2019, 16:01 »

A synthetic pointed out to her companion, in front of Faye, that her companion is entirely biodegradable and impermanent.

Faye and Bubbles are already living together and have made an explicit verbal commitment to stay together. Legal documentation will follow, I am sure.

They will have to work through the fact that Bubbles is going to spend the next sixty years watching the wife she loves decline, get sick, and stop working with no chance of repair.

I will make a random guess that Bubbles will handle the issue better than Faye will.

Eh, at this rate, I expect they'll have brain uploading by then.
(Hopefully before Faye's degrades too much.)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #61 on: 31 Oct 2019, 16:24 »

Quotes regarding "Art."
(click to show/hide)

Rem8nds me of an anecdote I  was saw relayed  about their own art professor's thoughts on successful artists. "People who successfully make a living off of their art right out of college have something the rest of us do not. A trust fund."
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #62 on: 31 Oct 2019, 16:56 »

Yes.

25%, apparently.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #63 on: 31 Oct 2019, 19:44 »

OK, so Faye probably won't age into a bearded alien, but it's the closest image I could find.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #64 on: 31 Oct 2019, 20:09 »

I guess now Sam gets to walk all over them... because kid with money

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #65 on: 31 Oct 2019, 20:26 »

Ooooh, Sam is getting a reality check soon.

Or they bill Sam for actual rent...

"But... that way I'm making no money."

"Actually, you're in the hole."   :-P

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #66 on: 31 Oct 2019, 21:01 »

The usual progression of events in QCland has been, with one or two truly exceptional exceptions, thus:
-- Seeds of conflict sown from seemingly innocuous situation.
-- Characters define their positions within the nascent conflict.
-- Forum gleefully constructs and/or anticipates apocalyptic scenarios. (LATHER)
-- Conflict resolved more or less rationally with little bloodshed. (RINSE)
-- Life proceeds apace, with another situation set up or dusted off with seeds of conflict that may or may not be apparent. (REPEAT)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #67 on: 31 Oct 2019, 21:56 »

That Kid has at least Force Persuasion, if not The Voice.

Either that, or Faye is creating an Alibi before dissappearing the body parts.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 01 Nov 2019, 00:18 »

If you can say nothing else about Sam, you can at least say this: When she's focussed, she's focussed; she's focussed enough to be immune to sarcasm. Either that or she's a spoiled brat who's so used to getting stuff on demand but that doesn't really fit with what we've seen of Jim. It's actually kind of nice that Sam is funding her own work like this; she didn't intend to disrespect Faye. It just came across that way because of said artistic focus/tunnel vision.

Meanwhile, Hannelore is particularly beautiful today, which makes me feel a lot better about the day ahead!

I suspect that Bubbles has, in a very small side corner of her system, already started working on a mitigating strategy. Right now, she's wondering if she can talk Faye into accepting a Ghost in the Shell-style full-body prosthesis. Jeph has already pointed in this direction when he had Pintsize mention to Claire that  the day might come when humans can switch bodies with the same ease as synthetics.
~~~~

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #69 on: 01 Nov 2019, 02:16 »

For comic #4125...

Hannelore in a tube-top.  <3

That is all. :)
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2020, 12:37 by pendrake »

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #70 on: 01 Nov 2019, 04:46 »

Poor kid, so focused and, from what it seems, busy, that she doesn't even realize how miffed Faye is.  And Faye, given how worried she is about those bad, organic habits, like shelter and eating and if they'll have enough money for what they need, I can get where she's jealous.  I just hope it's the beginning of the feeling and Faye has time to begin working through the emotions and the conflict before she gets back to the shop.  And hopefully it's a mutual acceptance with Sam realizing how the "focused" attitude comes across. 

Sam seems like a good kid, and given her dad and past experiences in the strips, just seems like one of the types that gets engrossed in whatever is holding her current interest and everything else goes out the window, possibly even social Decorum from what this strip shows.  Sam likes being there, hanging out with them, and likes Faye and considers her a friend, if she knew how she's making Faye feel, she'll probably feel pretty shitty about it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to leverage Faye and Bubbles skills in with Sam and form a more symbiotic thing.  Internal sprays, under the dermal layer, AI and those they tell only know about it, this way it's got a more personal meaning.  Modified parts with sprays.  Instead of a repair or a spray, how about we replace your whole arm with this claw that has been intricately detailed by Skullmaster... err Spraymaster at this point?

Or, since it seems the sprays are temporary, perhaps Faye and Bubbles coming up with a way to make them a bit more permanent with a clear coat overlay, or a method where you have multiple sprays and a way for them to be changed depending on the wearers mood.  But that's more dependent on if part of the appeal of the sprays is the fact that they're not quite permanent. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 01 Nov 2019, 04:52 »

@Tai Fanboi,

There are probably ways to make Sam's 'sprays' permanent but Faye and Bubbles would have to do the work as it involves power tools and likely very noxious chemicals.
~~~~

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #72 on: 01 Nov 2019, 05:05 »

Or lasers, even if Stabitha doesn't like them.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

OldGoat

« Reply #73 on: 01 Nov 2019, 08:00 »

Sam's  not being an asshole, she just definitely hyper-focused on her work.  No doubt Sgt Bubbles has already picked up on the issue and knows what to do, but Jeph's going to lets us dangle writhing in the wind for a few strips before resolving it.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #74 on: 01 Nov 2019, 15:35 »

Get them into the shop. Elementary marketing #1. That's what Sam is doing for Union Robotics.

(  say what you like about me i am made entirely out of biodegradable matter  )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #75 on: 01 Nov 2019, 16:44 »

Get them into the shop. Elementary marketing #1. That's what Sam is doing for Union Robotics.

Which would be great if they were staying for a checkup or to get a repair done and from the looks of it, that's not happening. Getting them into the shop is one thing, keeping them there is something else entirely.

OldGoat

« Reply #76 on: 01 Nov 2019, 18:35 »

Which would be great if they were staying for a checkup or to get a repair done and from the looks of it, that's not happening. Getting them into the shop is one thing, keeping them there is something else entirely.
I think I see what you mean, but they don't want to keep them there, they want to get them in the habit of coming back (think outpatient clinic rather than hospital).  Periodically refreshing a spray will do that quite well.  It's only a matter of time before one of Sam's clients is suffering from buttus comelooseus and says, "Hey, my ass is rattling, can you guys fix that?"

Also, street kids, even 'bot kids, will know something about the former activities in the space, and some probably follow robot fighting like real world squishies do cage fighting.  "Hey, these are the people who worked on Punchbot!" would, I'd think, be a pretty decent endorsement.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #77 on: 02 Nov 2019, 02:47 »

If synthetics are subject to our cognitive error of confusing familiar with good, then being in UR routinely will make it seem like a more desirable place to them for their 7,500 mile service or plastic surgery.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #78 on: 02 Nov 2019, 08:31 »

I wonder if Sam's work could be digitized or if she could work on a computer doing the designs, then yeah, as mentioned, the designs could be laser etched or otherwise made permanent, generating more revenue for the shop.

I hope Faye won't give into pride and do something foolish and shut down Sam.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #79 on: 02 Nov 2019, 10:34 »

Sam's  not being an asshole, she just definitely hyper-focused on her work.
I dunno, if you don't think Sam's taking a little bit back for the resentful sweeping then you must have been very odd teenagers...

OldGoat

« Reply #80 on: 02 Nov 2019, 17:26 »

If synthetics are subject to our cognitive error of confusing familiar with good, then being in UR routinely will make it seem like a more desirable place to them for their 7,500 mile service or plastic surgery.

Anyone who's worked in education, health care, social services, or the criminal justice system will tell you that we take comfort in the familiar, even if the familiar is dysfunctional as all fucking Hell.  The overwhelming majority of humans have to consciously and purposefully force themselves to do something different.  That's so fundamental to our makeup that a human-patterned AI wouldn't be human-patterned without it.  An AI that doesn't follow that model would be scary to humans and other AIs.

I wonder if Sam's work could be digitized or if she could work on a computer doing the designs, then yeah, as mentioned, the designs could be laser etched or otherwise made permanent, generating more revenue for the shop.

The one-time fee would no doubt be higher, but regular renewal would make a more reliable income stream.  For a business a customer in the door is good, back in the door is better, back in the door on a regular basis is best.  I'll guarantee you the shop that does the oil changes on your car had a conversation very much like this when 10K mile synthetic motor oil came out and drivers were no longer told they had to come in every 2,000 miles.  (Whether or not that requirement was real or just marketing hype is another topic.)

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #81 on: 03 Nov 2019, 10:54 »

And I also wonder if Faye is coming to terms with the fact that in this partnership she is *not* the scary one...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up