THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

which recurring AI side characters do you think will turn up next after Mille-Feuille (Chimevera) and Beepatrice?

punkbot
Swordsmary
Arthur (Melon's roommate)
Nelson (Roko and Beepatrice's boss)
Seven
Jeremy
Red 9
UPSbot
Gordon the spiderbot
Lemon
Punchbot
purple monkey dishwasher
other (please specify)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4136-4140 (Nov 18th-22nd, 2019)  (Read 19562 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Re: WCDT 4136-4140 (Nov 18th-22nd, 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 26 Nov 2019, 00:50 »

Sorry, I'm one of those people that will never buy into multiple terms to suit every single person's need to feel special. I can understand some level of distinction, but at a certain point it is ridiculous and just seems to be adopted so people can get butthurt if you don't recognize their special unicorn status.
No need to be sorry, though the thought is appreciated. Are you really sorry? If so, why? Maybe because there is a conflict between needing to assert a view you feel strongly about, yet not wanting to be rude?

Your post is an excellent example for me to use in future. Illustrating that someone can be reasonable, completely non malicious, yet so oblivious to their own privilege that they end up insulting others.

You do have a point. There are offendatrons just looking to find or manufacture any excuse to be offended. They are vastly outnumbered, by orders of magnitude, by complete assholes. And they in turn are outnumbered by those who, never having experienced professional malice for being what they are, don't really believe that it can exist. I hope they never learn any different, not through personal experience.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2019, 01:34 by ZoeB »
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #101 on: 26 Nov 2019, 01:14 »

Heck, the last one I dealt with was just a transgender person shopping at HEB

My sympathies on encountering a member of the genus Common Offendatron.

I have privilege in dealing with such. My own situation is the equivalent of 4 aces to their three of a kind if it came to comparing hands. I confess I make full use of this in such situations, so they make themselves look ridiculous, and lose the one thing they seek, credibility in order to hurt others.

Minor things, sure. I'm more concerned about providing moral support to trans kids who have ended up in an ER *yet again* from being beaten up at school in front of teachers. And giving guidance on where to get legal advice for parents of Trans kids who are being investigated by a politically directed CPS for doing what is medically recommended. Even just ensuring diebetics in the US do not die because they are too poor to get insulin. Privilege? Oh yes, I have that, the idea that this could be a normal situation somewhere causes my brain to fry.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #102 on: 26 Nov 2019, 09:07 »

The problem (so I hear) with "I, Robot" (the movie) is that it started out to be something else entirely, with robots and techno-thrills and Mr. Smith and all that, when the moviemakers heard that the title and story rights to Asimov's robot stuff was available. Marketing possibilities were seen and acted upon.
That was my understanding as well; I heard the script's original title was Hard Wired.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up