THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would bring Marten the best possible life?

Starving musical artist
- 0 (0%)
Giving music lessons
- 6 (21.4%)
Instrument repair
- 12 (42.9%)
Counseling humans with troublesome AIs
- 8 (28.6%)
Coasting
- 2 (7.1%)
Nicked nickel Nicholas
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4151-4155 (9-13 December2019)  (Read 21091 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT Strips 4151-4155 (9-13 December2019)
« on: 08 Dec 2019, 06:43 »

No poll because I couldn't think of one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
Re: WCDT Strips 4151-4155 (9-13 December2019)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2019, 17:25 »

People like to talk about the "Butts Disease," but Marten has "but" disease. "But this might happen," "But that might happen," but but but. Claire is trying to get him off his but.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2019, 18:40 »

It's been so long since any of Matren's background friends have appeared....  :-o

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2019, 20:01 »

I don't know. The whole Marten / Claire thing is kind of a snooze at this point. One of the interesting things about QC is the unexpected directions things might go in any scenario, but I don't see that happening in this case. Jeph has got himself into a box with this relationship. It's just overly precious and cutesy. Marten is an intelligent, college educated, full grown man content to putter away at menial, gig like jobs forever. It's past being cool or amusing it's just pathetic at this point. Per the current comic Marten should hardly be surprised even his friends think of him as a loser.  It would be interesting to see Jeph put Marten in a whole different direction but I doubt that's going to happen. 

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2019, 21:51 »

Isn't that what chis current arc is about, kinda? Pushing Marten forward?

I don't know how it is in the US, but where I live you have to tell your employer if you're married. So, when Tai and Dora get married, I see a certain chance of Tai "getting caught" not being a student anymore, and having to look for another job. With being terminated as collateral damage - so Marten would be forced to do something else anyway. Maybe JJ is trying to ease that transition a bit this time.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2019, 21:54 »

Why would Tai have to leave just because she's not a student?  Marten's never been a student at Smif, and he's working there.  As long as they're happy with her work, there's no reason for them to fire Tai.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 08 Dec 2019, 22:27 »

(Edited to clarify: replying to a removed post)

That's rather harsh, as first posts go...

And you know, these kind of people really do exist; I mean, open, accepting people, that do have a healthy relationship. And even a quick read through only last week's thread easily shows that there are ways forward, even breaking up, that could easily be accepted. The difference in ambition, and drive, is one such mechanism.

As for the rest, well... You know, there's rather more to making a comic, than just sitting and doodling up something for a quarter of an hour. Especially a daily comic. I can readily suggest some jobs with less actual work involved, that would get more compassion from the kind of people that complain about artists getting paid, rather than toiling away in manual labour.

You don't like the comic any more, fair enough, that's your right. A little respect for the rest of the readers would be nice, though, and for Jeph himself.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2019, 05:16 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #7 on: 08 Dec 2019, 22:49 »

Reported.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2019, 22:53 »

Which will probably just strengthen their belief that dissent isn't tolerated. Sadly, some people fail to see the difference between their opinion, and the way they express it, between form and substance.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2019, 22:55 »

Granted, I've run afoul of the politeness rule here more than once, myself.  But there are some things that really need the application of a clue-by-four.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 08 Dec 2019, 22:57 »

But then, I doubt that were your two only posts.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 08 Dec 2019, 23:09 »

More to the point, if we need a poll, it could, inspired by today's comic, be on romcom tropes? Just a suggestion.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #12 on: 08 Dec 2019, 23:27 »

I'm pretty sure that Jeph actually does read the various forums dedicated to his works (or at least has reliable people pass on to him where the debate is going). Because of this, I'm fairly sure that today's strip is a deliberate push-back to those who criticised Claire for trying to motivate Marten to change gears and be more active in looking for a future. Today's strip basically seems to be saying that, yes, Marten actually thinks she's right and, also, the idea of the two of them having a rage quit over it would work for a pair of teenage lovers but not for a pair of pretty sensible postgrad adults (who appear to be watching the headlights of the oncoming future with a degree of trepidation).

In fact I really approve of Jeph for saying: "You know, not everything has to be a cookie-cutter 'conflict-negative consequences-aftershocks-resolution' chain. Things can go differently if the people involved want it to go that way!" Looking purely from an in-universe perspective, Marten has already been though a chain like that with his break-up with Dora and his love life before he realised that he was attracted to Claire. Given how low he got during that, I can well understand why he'd be looking to avoid going down that path ever again.

@Blackest Duct Tape,

Friend, I, like you, do not like some of Jeph's politics. However, making an account and posting to tell him how much it sucks with a specific and venomous section about how Claireten has to be a 'special case' really, really isn't a good look. I just wonder if you'd be so upset about Marten and Claire working so hard on their relationship if Claire was cis?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2019, 23:52 »

Really,  where do you get off assigning thoughts and opinions to a complete stranger?   You completely made up a narrative in your own mind about my thoughts and motivations,  designated it as "actual reality" and posted it to the forum for a reaction. 

That is exactly what I thought about your last post. You might want to reread everything you posted, and the reactions to that.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2019, 02:44 »

Hi Blackest Duct Tape,

I'd like to briefly respond to what seems to be the core of your post, before making an overall remark.

Jeph had to write himself into a corner.   He cannot possibly do anything to shake up this relationship ...

I guess what you are essentially saying is that there is a perception that Marten and Claire have a plot shield.

While it is true that Jeph is very attached to Claire, as are many of his readers, I think that it is still entirely possible that Claire and Marten might have to deal with some difficulties, treated in such a way that is true to the experiences of his audiences. I don't think he would lose readers if he did this. He would be doing his fans a disservice to permanently assign them happily-ever-after status.

IMO the real issue with Marten and Claire is simply that very little comic time is currently devoted to them. Thus their story moves at snail's pace.

Don't write off the possibility of a shake-up.

My overall suggestion, which is made with the best of intentions. If you want to launch a criticism that someone else cannot tolerate dissenting opinions, then you had best deal with criticism aimed at your own posts with a great deal more grace than you have so far demonstrated.

Peace.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2019, 02:50 »

Really,  where do you get off assigning thoughts and opinions to a complete stranger?   

[snip]

And I bet that just enrages you no end.   

Final bit of advice. Please don't do this. It does make you look a touch hypocritical.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

oddtail

« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2019, 03:00 »

I think the sad thing is, I do share some concerns about Marten and Claire's relationship as something that might not work story-wise.

I'm just not a big fan of the package the concern was put into. It's one thing to dislike something about a work of fiction, and another to go on a rather rude and unpleasant rant about how the author is this or that, or the motivations behind their work, or what-have-you. Which has nothing to do with anything even if it were true.

(also, conflating liberals with the left. LOL)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2019, 03:06 »

He lives off of donations and handouts from the readers,  and makes a damn good living for someone who doesn't actually work for a living.    That's why it rings hollow when he tries to preach about wealth hoarding or privilege in his comics.   He has so much disposable income and so much free time that he can put out awful music and drop t-shirt designs while the majority of his readership toils...

What evidence have you that Jeph doesn't work for his living? - the comics don't come from nowhere.  And the "donations and handouts" are not charity - they are his readers' response to the work he does for them; payment for his job, in fact.

Equally, what evidence have you that he has "so much disposable income and so much free time" beyond what anyone doing a successful job might have?  Should he not have free time to pursue the hobbies you dislike?  Your snipe about "while the majority of his readership toils" smacks to me of jealousy at his success.

Administrator Comment Varied viewpoints and disagreements with supporting arguments are encouraged here. But unsupported insults, whether of other forum members or of the man who pays for the existence of this forum, are not.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #18 on: 09 Dec 2019, 03:35 »

LOL at the creep with the bizarre hateboner for me
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #19 on: 09 Dec 2019, 03:45 »

Also BenRG is mistaken, I learned to stop reading internet posts about my comic years ago. It's not healthy behavior, for me at least. I pop in here from time to time if I see a reported post in my inbox.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #20 on: 09 Dec 2019, 04:35 »

What a wild ride I appear to have missed. Keep all arms and legs inside the forums while the mods are in motion.
oh god

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #21 on: 09 Dec 2019, 06:30 »

Not really.  Just a violation of Sacred Hospitality, and the Word of Jeph is final.

izerth

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #22 on: 09 Dec 2019, 06:45 »

Burgers are a dollar but cheese is $16?  That must be 20 year cheddar.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #23 on: 09 Dec 2019, 06:45 »

I guess what you are essentially saying is that there is a perception that Marten and Claire have a plot shield.

While it is true that Jeph is very attached to Claire, as are many of his readers, I think that it is still entirely possible that Claire and Marten might have to deal with some difficulties, treated in such a way that is true to the experiences of his audiences.
Don't write off the possibility of a shake-up.
There's a number of things we haven't seen surrounding Claire, the primary one being someone that does not approve of and attacks trans-people.  I'm not sure Jeph would write such an arc, but such could pretty obviously have negative effects on Marten and Claireten.

And as much as Marten can overthink things on occasion, there's a number of things that Claire could say that would discombobulate Marten enough to start the spiral, among them a job offer in Fucquesburg, MT, far from Noho...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #24 on: 09 Dec 2019, 06:52 »

There's a number of things we haven't seen surrounding Claire, the primary one being someone that does not approve of and attacks trans-people.  I'm not sure Jeph would write such an arc, but such could pretty obviously have negative effects on Marten and Claireten.

i don't think Jeph ever would write that story nor would I want him too. I like that QC takes place in a world with very little homophobia and transphabia. There is far too much of that in my real life, I don't want it my entertainment as well.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #25 on: 09 Dec 2019, 08:01 »

i don't think Jeph ever would write that story nor would I want him too. I like that QC takes place in a world with very little homophobia and transphabia. There is far too much of that in my real life, I don't want it my entertainment as well.

Well... that's the thing. The comic is free so if you are a reader you're either onboard with his artistic and plot decisions or you can take your readership elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to read the strip. Yes... it's odd to see levels of self aware AI tech that are at least 50-100 years in the future at a minimum wedged into a current social context, but robots with personalities is a very engaging concept.

With respect to Claire, IIRC Jeph has stated fairly directly he will tolerate no references to Claire in his supported and moderated comment forums questioning or arguing about her gender.  He's the universe builder and it's his full right to require this, but what do you have at that point? Apparently a somewhat cloying, overly precious standard issue boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. May's challenges are 100 times more interesting than Marten and Claire's "Lucy and Ricky" dance.

Finally, and this is just personal preference. Marten gives me a bellyache. I get that he is a primary nexus for a lot of the strips relationships, but his entire vibe is so passive and weak and most-importantly, non-progressing. I can't imagine any woman desiring him for a serious relationship except maybe as an improvement project where she is the general contractor.

Having said this, Jeph's artistic vision is his own. Nothing compels us to keep up with the strip other than finding the strip interesting. Jeph has a unique intelligence, especially in the AI stuff that you see almost nowhere else.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2019, 09:06 by Pogopotamus »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #26 on: 09 Dec 2019, 09:31 »

We were all thining it.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #27 on: 09 Dec 2019, 09:40 »

Re the idea that Marten and Claire have a plot shield, it certainly seems that way.  Their relationship has far and away, by light-years, been the most smooth and issue-free in all of QC -- not that it's any inherent problem for a pair to finally be doing well (or two, counting Faye/Bubbles), but coming after everything else before that, it's jarring.

Perhaps my frustration stems from the rainbows-and-unicorns squeepocalypse that was the first hundred-or-so strips after Claire and Marten got together.  It also feels like nothing negative is allowed to happen to their "one true pairing" because of representation-darlinghood.  Thus every potential bit of tension for them rings hollow IMO, because given patterns so far, they will just smooth it over with no issues.  That hollow-ringing will probably just continue until something actually has consequences for them, but that seems unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

I have this bizarre dilemma as a reader that I want to hear more about longstanding characters of the comic rather than cutesy-named-new-AI-of-the-week, but then when Marten/Claire resurface, there's zero change because it's basically always going perfect for them no matter what.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 09 Dec 2019, 10:38 »

Re the idea that Marten and Claire have a plot shield, it certainly seems that way.  Their relationship has far and away, by light-years, been the most smooth and issue-free in all of QC -- not that it's any inherent problem for a pair to finally be doing well (or two, counting Faye/Bubbles), but coming after everything else before that, it's jarring.

Perhaps my frustration stems from the rainbows-and-unicorns squeepocalypse that was the first hundred-or-so strips after Claire and Marten got together.  It also feels like nothing negative is allowed to happen to their "one true pairing" because of representation-darlinghood.  Thus every potential bit of tension for them rings hollow IMO, because given patterns so far, they will just smooth it over with no issues.  That hollow-ringing will probably just continue until something actually has consequences for them, but that seems unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

I have this bizarre dilemma as a reader that I want to hear more about longstanding characters of the comic rather than cutesy-named-new-AI-of-the-week, but then when Marten/Claire resurface, there's zero change because it's basically always going perfect for them no matter what.

I agree, but where is he going to go with it if he did? Trans people have a lot of challenges and often lead complex and fraught lives. Per Jeph's dictate Claire effectively became a woman and that was that. Non-binary people like Tilly state their gender pronoun preference and the discussion is over. Those are the ethical and political rules of the QC universe. Is Jeph going to violate the rules he has established?   

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #29 on: 09 Dec 2019, 11:37 »

Trans people are just people like everyone else, they have struggles just like cis people. Not everything has to be about their transness.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #30 on: 09 Dec 2019, 14:04 »

Global Moderator Comment If in fact it was a first post. Based on some information elsewhere and the content of the posts I believe this was a long-standing ban evader.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #31 on: 09 Dec 2019, 16:26 »

Thus every potential bit of tension for them rings hollow IMO, because given patterns so far, they will just smooth it over with no issues.  That hollow-ringing will probably just continue until something actually has consequences for them, but that seems unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

I guess you could for a time have said that about the Marten/Dora relationship.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #32 on: 09 Dec 2019, 16:26 »

I wonder if Elliot would have been a better person for Marten to talk to. Less connection and history but more wisdom, I think.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 09 Dec 2019, 17:01 »

My guess is that Marten trusts Steve to give it to him straight.

Pogopotamus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 09 Dec 2019, 18:27 »

....and Millefeuille saves the day!

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #35 on: 09 Dec 2019, 18:53 »

I was amused to note that Millefeuille has drunk bubbles that are rectangular to match AI speech bubble shapes. :laugh:  Have we seen that before?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #36 on: 09 Dec 2019, 19:11 »

GO BUTTS!

:laugh:

TV4Fun

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #37 on: 09 Dec 2019, 20:06 »

...as a reader that I want to hear more about longstanding characters of the comic rather than cutesy-named-new-AI-of-the-week...
Aaand comic. Hi Millefeuille.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #38 on: 09 Dec 2019, 20:30 »

Awwwwh, missed all the fun again ...  :cry:

OT:
She has a drunk mode.

A drunk mode she can turn on and off at will.

Not. Fair.  :x
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #39 on: 09 Dec 2019, 20:31 »

.re: 'To pursuing new dreams'

Stufen

Wie jede Blüte welkt und jede Jugend
Dem Alter weicht, blüht jede Lebensstufe,
Blüht jede Weisheit auch und jede Tugend
Zu ihrer Zeit und darf nicht ewig dauern.
Es muß das Herz bei jedem Lebensrufe
Bereit zum Abschied sein und Neubeginne,
Um sich in Tapferkeit und ohne Trauern
In andre, neue Bindungen zu geben.
Und jedem Anfang wohnt ein Zauber inne,
Der uns beschützt und der uns hilft, zu leben.

Wir sollen heiter Raum um Raum durchschreiten,
An keinem wie an einer Heimat hängen,
Der Weltgeist will nicht fesseln uns und engen,
Er will uns Stuf´ um Stufe heben, weiten.
Kaum sind wir heimisch einem Lebenskreise
Und traulich eingewohnt, so droht Erschlaffen;
Nur wer bereit zu Aufbruch ist und Reise,
Mag lähmender Gewöhnung sich entraffen.

Es wird vielleicht auch noch die Todesstunde
Uns neuen Räumen jung entgegen senden,
Des Lebens Ruf an uns wird niemals enden,
Wohlan denn, Herz, nimm Abschied und gesunde!

(Four ze Anglophonez)

P.S.: Stupid 'ol Steppenwolf stupid ...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Gyrre

« Reply #40 on: 09 Dec 2019, 20:45 »

Awwwwh, missed all the fun again ...  :cry:

OT:
She has a drunk mode.

A drunk mode she can turn on and off at will.

Not. Fair.  :x
Defo not fair.

Just have to moderate, I guess.  :roll:
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #41 on: 09 Dec 2019, 20:55 »

Just have to moderate, I guess.  :roll:

Well, I had to moderate to absolute zero, hence the being-pissed-off. I loved the buzz, the confidence & the embarrassing yourself. Just didn't like the eternal fatigue and the stinking-out-your-pores aspect of it, soooooooh ... my best mate had to find himself another bestie.

Has it been ... five years already? :? I think so ...

There was this thought-experiment I once heard about - If you could wire the pleasure centre of a monkey to give it an orgasm, and then hand it the control for the electrodes, how do you think it would spend its days?

Maybe it's a good thingTM that humans don't have a consequence-free drunk mode.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2019, 22:13 by Case »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 09 Dec 2019, 22:46 »

If in fact it was a first post. Based on some information elsewhere and the content of the posts I believe this was a long-standing ban evader.

I replied to the first one at face value, but I think it's clear it was an evader, feel the rest. They'll be back, probably.

cybersmurf

« Reply #43 on: 09 Dec 2019, 23:06 »

I wonder how long it will take Marten to realise "hey, isn't that Faye's shorts?"
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #44 on: 09 Dec 2019, 23:07 »

Thus every potential bit of tension for them rings hollow IMO, because given patterns so far, they will just smooth it over with no issues.  That hollow-ringing will probably just continue until something actually has consequences for them, but that seems unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Or any relationship that’s going well.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 09 Dec 2019, 23:34 »

I replied to the first one at face value, but I think it's clear it was an evader, feel the rest. They'll be back, probably.

At least some people have probably noticed by now that I do tend to take such posters at face value and try to give them an opportunity to express themselves in a constructive way. I imagine that this raises the hackles of some, but there are reasons why it is my policy to do so.

If the person really is posting in good faith, as unlikely as it may seem, I want them to see that someone is digging for what they are trying to get at, and respond. What I don't want is for them to leave thinking that they have some kind of moral high ground because they posted a dissenting opinion and got mobbed. So I swallow my distaste and try to bridge the gap.

If not, however, then at least I haven't given them the satisfaction of getting an emotional reaction out of me.

And it has been known to happen that trolls have responded to honest communication. It hasn't happened here yet. But I live in hope.

No tears are shed when they flee without having made an honest attempt. Life goes on.

Today's comic: Marten has made a DECISION! Let's hope it doesn't take 4192 strips more for him to act on it. Best to strike while the iron is hot in this situation, I have found.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #46 on: 09 Dec 2019, 23:39 »

I'm glad that Steve is being sensible about this: No pouring of cold water but also no mad over-enthusiasm. Meanwhile, Marten needs to make a note: Steve wants a lute with breasts painted on the reverb box. Not sure why but you shouldn't worry about such things when making presents for your friends!

Millie is in 'party mode', I see. I wonder how often Wilson has to be her keeper and I wonder if this is their dynamic? He's the quiet, caring friend who, unbeknownst to her, worships her from afar!

Or any relationship that’s going well.

Agreed; I really appreciate it when Jeph implicitly rejects the idea that a stable adult relationship is somehow 'boring'.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #47 on: 10 Dec 2019, 00:53 »

Sometimes you wanna go
Where everybody knows your ass...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #48 on: 10 Dec 2019, 01:23 »

I'd also say that Jeph did let a guest comic writer address it.

By creating a transphobic character, and then letting him get brutally killed by Pintsize and Hannelore's butt rocket, after Emily kicked him out of Coffee of Doom and locked the door due to his transphobia.

And I suspect QC isn't actually set in a utopia - even in Jeph's own strips, there's been hints here and there that homophobia and transphobia are present in the universe. But, like you said, I don't think Jeph wants to write about that - there's so much more to write about than retreading territory that other writers cover.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:12 »

Sometimes you wanna go
Where everybody knows your ass...

Never seen such a post with such a wonderfully relevant *sig* line ! :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up