THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would bring Marten the best possible life?

Starving musical artist
- 0 (0%)
Giving music lessons
- 6 (21.4%)
Instrument repair
- 12 (42.9%)
Counseling humans with troublesome AIs
- 8 (28.6%)
Coasting
- 2 (7.1%)
Nicked nickel Nicholas
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4151-4155 (9-13 December2019)  (Read 21083 times)

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 4151-4155 (9-13 December2019)
« Reply #50 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:15 »

There's a number of things we haven't seen surrounding Claire, the primary one being someone that does not approve of and attacks trans-people.  I'm not sure Jeph would write such an arc, but such could pretty obviously have negative effects on Marten and Claireten.

i don't think Jeph ever would write that story nor would I want him too. I like that QC takes place in a world with very little homophobia and transphabia. There is far too much of that in my real life, I don't want it my entertainment as well.

Well... that's the thing. The comic is free so if you are a reader you're either onboard with his artistic and plot decisions or you can take your readership elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to read the strip. Yes... it's odd to see levels of self aware AI tech that are at least 50-100 years in the future at a minimum wedged into a current social context, but robots with personalities is a very engaging concept.

With respect to Claire, IIRC Jeph has stated fairly directly he will tolerate no references to Claire in his supported and moderated comment forums questioning or arguing about her gender.  He's the universe builder and it's his full right to require this, but what do you have at that point? Apparently a somewhat cloying, overly precious standard issue boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. May's challenges are 100 times more interesting than Marten and Claire's "Lucy and Ricky" dance.

Finally, and this is just personal preference. Marten gives me a bellyache. I get that he is a primary nexus for a lot of the strips relationships, but his entire vibe is so passive and weak and most-importantly, non-progressing. I can't imagine any woman desiring him for a serious relationship except maybe as an improvement project where she is the general contractor.

Having said this, Jeph's artistic vision is his own. Nothing compels us to keep up with the strip other than finding the strip interesting. Jeph has a unique intelligence, especially in the AI stuff that you see almost nowhere else.

Underlining is mine.
Really? Somehow I feel the need to defend Marten a little bit here. Sure, Marten is very passive, sometimes infuriatingly so. Weak, hmm, depends on how you look at it. On the other hand, Marten has also shown to be kind, a great friend, generous, accepting, a great listener, fairly intelligent and with a good sense of humor. Other than that, sure he may not have a thrilling job or a lot (or any) ambition, but he does have a job that seems stable.
Frankly I can think of a whole boatload of people a lot less desirable than somebody like Marten. Think of unkind people, those without a (steady) job, those intolerant of others, those who don't really listen to their S.O.'s, those with anger issues, etc.

In short, if you don't find him an attractive prospect for a relationship because of his passiveness, that's obviously fine, but to not be able to see how he could/would appeal to others for a serious relationship seems odd..

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #51 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:19 »

We did see Bubbles face anti-AI harassment, and it played a significant role in her character arc. Of course, she was never physically vulnerable, as Claire is, but Jeph hasn't ignored the issue of bigotry.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #52 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:20 »

I'd also say that Jeph did let a guest comic writer address it.

By creating a transphobic character, and then letting him get brutally killed by Pintsize and Hannelore's butt rocket, after Emily kicked him out of Coffee of Doom and locked the door due to his transphobia.
Fair enough and thanks for the reminder.  I've never quite reconciled for myself that guest strips are canon and tend to read them less attentively.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #53 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:25 »

We did see Bubbles face anti-AI harassment, and it played a significant role in her character arc.

I've mentioned this before but Momo once told Marten that there is a religious group that denounces AIs as 'soulless'.

I've said this before but Jeph seems to use the AIs as his method to tell parables about human bigotry and inclusivity.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #54 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:32 »

Fair enough and thanks for the reminder.  I've never quite reconciled for myself that guest strips are canon and tend to read them less attentively.
Yeah, and I wouldn't call it canon either (although IIRC some things from guest strips have been elevated to canon?). But, what's canon, and what Jeph allows his platform to be used to discuss are two different things.

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #55 on: 10 Dec 2019, 08:06 »

We did see Bubbles face anti-AI harassment, and it played a significant role in her character arc.

I've mentioned this before but Momo once told Marten that there is a religious group that denounces AIs as 'soulless'.

I've said this before but Jeph seems to use the AIs as his method to tell parables about human bigotry and inclusivity.

Which, to my mind, is the better way to do it.  You can highlight/speak to bigotry without using a real underprivileged group as a prop in your parable.  Give the vulnerable and underprivileged representation, teach your lessons with someone else (preferably made up).
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 10 Dec 2019, 10:47 »

We do know from one conversation with Clinton that Claire can't feel confident about her physical safety, so the QC universe has progress to make, much as it is better than ours.

I think the fringe preacher didn't say "soulless" but actually said AIs were evil.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #57 on: 10 Dec 2019, 10:55 »

A lot can be said about Marten‘s passivity, but in a world economy changing due to AIs maybe there aren’t a lot of job prospects even if he was proactive.  It’s one thing to write off slackers who drift from job to job, but there are a lot of hard workers whose careers are fluid because their job was outsourced or replaced by a machine. 

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #58 on: 10 Dec 2019, 11:40 »

Steve is drinking a fancy beer, in a little glass!  No regular pint mug for him!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #59 on: 10 Dec 2019, 11:42 »

People are not their jobs. Far be it from me to defend a dude, but Marten is enjoying his life, demanding that he get a "real job" in order to be worth loving is some late stage capitalist bullshit.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:04 »

It appears I missed some kind of kerfuffle, oh well.

Anyway, I love the background details here, the little faces on the beer pulls, and the pricing on the menu.  It looks like you get a discount if you order mushrooms on your burger, so it helps offset the rather expensive gourmet cheese.  And of course he can't convince her to turn off drunk mode, she is drunk.

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #61 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:26 »

I'm hoping Millefeuille becomes a regular character.

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:29 »

Steve is drinking a fancy beer, in a little glass!  No regular pint mug for him!

Aw yeah! My dude’s gone all for the Belgian goblet! Santé!

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #63 on: 10 Dec 2019, 15:31 »

I was amused to note that Millefeuille has drunk bubbles that are rectangular to match AI speech bubble shapes. :laugh:  Have we seen that before?

In #3696, both Roko and O'Malley have what seems to be round drunk bubbles.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #64 on: 10 Dec 2019, 19:24 »

.... knowing what we do about Pintsize, I certainly would NOT be using him as a teddy bear/comforter.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #65 on: 10 Dec 2019, 19:52 »

But he's so fulfilled!

Wait, what does he usually find fulfilling?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #66 on: 10 Dec 2019, 19:54 »

Pintsize looks so cute happy. I feel like he and Claire have a special friendship like he's less of an ass to her than everyone else.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 10 Dec 2019, 20:08 »

Burgers are a dollar but cheese is $16?  That must be 20 year cheddar.

sorry to double post but why are more people not talking about this?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #68 on: 10 Dec 2019, 21:55 »

Faye would definitely know about insecurity.
(Both her own, and observing Dora's.)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 10 Dec 2019, 23:28 »

Pintsize and Claire's relationship has been quite the roller-coaster, hasn't it? He had to be nearly physically restrained from traumatising her at virtually their first meeting by a strong threat from Marten. We all remember the wolf urine prank and Claire's threat to lobotomise him in response.

However, since then, things have quietened down a lot and it's seems that the two of them have reached either a compromise or détente of sorts. Claire needs someone to hug sometimes and I'm wondering if being hugged is one of the reasons why Pintsize chose to be a Companion AI in the first place! I mean, yeah, he's good at helping people and enjoys doing it in his unique way but just watch how he reacts to Claire and you realise that being in her lap and cuddled to her bosom is fulfilling...

Okay, yeah, he's still a perve but he doesn't make a thing of it for her sake!

Meanwhile, we are reminded that Mr Augustus walking out of the family has left really serious scars in Claire's psyche that we shouldn't ever discount when judging her behaviour.

Because not everyone pays that amount of attention to the backgrounds of the panels.

FWIW, this is a typical 'loss leader' type of marketing. Because the burgers without cheese aren't so good, the owners of the Horrible Revelation know that the cheese sale is pretty much in the bag but they can still claim with a straight face to have 'the cheapest bar food in town'. Reach for those wallets, suckers!
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #70 on: 11 Dec 2019, 01:10 »

A one dollar burger? Probably just the patty then. No bun.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:03 »

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #72 on: 11 Dec 2019, 03:08 »

But he's so fulfilled!

I think this is the happiest we've seen him...

He and Claire seem to have come to an agreement--they both want what's best for Marten, and Claire fits that bill right now.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #73 on: 11 Dec 2019, 03:44 »

Pintsize's expression... I didn't know that an expression could be simultaneously cute and creepy.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #74 on: 11 Dec 2019, 04:54 »

A one dollar burger? Probably just the patty then. No bun.
But then it looks like bacon on that burger is 50 cents extra.  Maybe they are just short on cheese and want to ensure a supply until they get restocked?

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #75 on: 11 Dec 2019, 05:03 »

Pintsize and Claire's relationship has been quite the roller-coaster, hasn't it? He had to be nearly physically restrained from traumatising her at virtually their first meeting by a strong threat from Marten. We all remember the wolf urine prank and Claire's threat to lobotomise him in response.

However, since then, things have quietened down a lot and it's seems that the two of them have reached either a compromise or détente of sorts. Claire needs someone to hug sometimes and I'm wondering if being hugged is one of the reasons why Pintsize chose to be a Companion AI in the first place! I mean, yeah, he's good at helping people and enjoys doing it in his unique way but just watch how he reacts to Claire and you realise that being in her lap and cuddled to her bosom is fulfilling...

Okay, yeah, he's still a perve but he doesn't make a thing of it for her sake!

Meanwhile, we are reminded that Mr Augustus walking out of the family has left really serious scars in Claire's psyche that we shouldn't ever discount when judging her behaviour.
Maybe Claire has what Pintsize has been seeking all along and the coming conflict for Marten is Pintsize rebonding to Claire?  It'll be interesting to see what Jeph decides to do with these 3.

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #76 on: 11 Dec 2019, 10:45 »

Somehow I feel the need to defend Marten a little bit here. Sure, Marten is very passive, sometimes infuriatingly so. Weak, hmm, depends on how you look at it. On the other hand, Marten has also shown to be kind, a great friend, generous, accepting, a great listener, fairly intelligent and with a good sense of humor. Other than that, sure he may not have a thrilling job or a lot (or any) ambition, but he does have a job that seems stable.

Agreed. I’ve just randomly been rereading the arc where his relationship with Dora was going wrong, and he certainly wasn’t being so passive then as to let the hurricane of her insecurities getting way out of hand just happen without standing up to it. He was calling her out on it. Speaking as someone who was once at Dora’s level of insecure self-sabotage, I had no idea how valuable that lesson was until I learned it, and it’s a shame because that level of insecurity and actions around it did for me too so much more damage to the relationship than was necessary.
Since then for Dora, that lesson is making her better at being in a partnership with Tai and if Marten hadn’t have set his boundaries in the way he had, in the long run probably neither of them would have learned from their mistakes - or what they did well - and been better off for learning those lessons.

With Claire also here, Marten’s not going “ok, whatever”, nor is he storming out in a huff, he’s being upfront with her about his worries in a way that’s also considerate of her feelings. I think this is a healthy thing to aim for - and part and parcel of an equal, respectful partnership. That’s a huge asset. Really. You find someone like that, that’s marriage material right there.

If he could apply that level of assertiveness in his current relationship to the rest of his life, it’d probably do him the power of good.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2019, 15:28 by thedevilissix »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #77 on: 11 Dec 2019, 13:18 »

It just occurred to me, rereading the strip, that Faye could just as well use Claire as a teddy bear given the size disparity shown. Wonder what Marten would think/say if he came home to that? Or Bubbles?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #78 on: 11 Dec 2019, 14:38 »

Marten is a fairly passive guy most of the time, but he's shown more than once that he's not weak. There's actually a lot to be said for staying in a job you genuinely enjoy, even if it doesn't fill you with joy every day. A lot of people don't even get that. Arguably a lot of stress and some moments of hyper-happiness are worth less than a lot of safe contentment.
I think Claire was right to encourage Marten to think about pursuing something he might enjoy even more, and I think he handled it perfectly. I wouldn't think any less or more of Marten if he decided to continue on his current course, or pursue instrument repair.
The only thing that worries me is that it takes money to invest on a course, and would Marten actually be that good at repairing instruments? It takes a huge amount of sensitive musicality to repair even a low-mid-range acoustic instrument.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 11 Dec 2019, 19:59 »

...I feel like Steve is about the worst person to be having this conversation with.  Of course, worse yet would be Jimbo or Hannelore...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #80 on: 11 Dec 2019, 20:05 »

"WHO WANTS TO TOUCH MY NEW ASS!"

*lol*

Gyrre

« Reply #81 on: 11 Dec 2019, 20:55 »

Just have to moderate, I guess.  :roll:

Well, I had to moderate to absolute zero, hence the being-pissed-off. I loved the buzz, the confidence & the embarrassing yourself. Just didn't like the eternal fatigue and the stinking-out-your-pores aspect of it, soooooooh ... my best mate had to find himself another bestie.

Has it been ... five years already? :? I think so ...

There was this thought-experiment I once heard about - If you could wire the pleasure centre of a monkey to give it an orgasm, and then hand it the control for the electrodes, how do you think it would spend its days?

Maybe it's a good thingTM that humans don't have a consequence-free drunk mode.
I've mentioned it before, but I have to stop at buzzed. Being drunk is a thoroughly unpleasant experience for me thanks to being ADD. And the hangovers aren't any fun either.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #82 on: 11 Dec 2019, 21:05 »

Which, to my mind, is the better way to do it.  You can highlight/speak to bigotry without using a real underprivileged group as a prop in your parable.  Give the vulnerable and underprivileged representation, teach your lessons with someone else (preferably made up).
Just be careful how you go about it and do a better job at it than the movie Bright].
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #83 on: 11 Dec 2019, 22:42 »

Oh my god, butts disease turned into boats disease.  :-D

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #84 on: 11 Dec 2019, 22:50 »

On the Marten topic: I think this is a decent direction, and I think it's kind of important for another reason, Marten has consistently had fairly bad luck when he has tried to be proactive or stand up for himself. While he is ultimately responsible for his own happiness this might end up better overall for him and I also appreciate that he and Claire are actually talking like adults instead of either shouting at each other or weaponizing insecurities (either to hurt someone or to use as an excuse for poor behavior re:Dora)

On the pintsize note: Him being fulfilled might actually be more he is genuinely happy to be doing an anthropc thing of making a human feel better. He actually tried sincerely to help Marten at one point and got a bit mad when it worked but Marten seemed unhappy still. So the idea of him being genuinely useful and helpful for a human may have actually helped him feel he was fulfilling a base goal of his programming.

On the notes of AI in the economy: Oh god that is a fucking can of worms that I don't even want to think about. There are a lot of arguments about bigotry etc. The main problem I can see jhappening is that since they can be copied, can function from a computer and multiple bodies, there are some not-unrealistic concerns about intelligent automation basically replacing a large number of workers from all but the most specialized jobs. It isn't fair to teh AIs and it's a fault of the capitalist model, but I can still see and sympathize with those afraid.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #85 on: 11 Dec 2019, 23:05 »

It is rather appealing, tbh.  Downside is that there's a reason boats are called "a hole you throw money into".
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 11 Dec 2019, 23:08 »

You do occasionally have strips where I really think it is Jeph talking and this is one of them. Growing up vs. growing 'old' is a thing with which most people struggle. How does one become an adult without losing joy in one's life? I do like their horror when they realise that they're on the verge of becoming stereotypical lower-middle-class adult males!

Meanwhile, Millie definitely had self-image issues; I'm hoping that Faye and Bubbles find out how happy this has all made her. I'm also desperately hoping that we see her and Wilson having a stern talk during which she realises just what a great friend he is.

On the notes of AI in the economy: Oh god that is a fucking can of worms that I don't even want to think about. There are a lot of arguments about bigotry etc. The main problem I can see jhappening is that since they can be copied, can function from a computer and multiple bodies, there are some not-unrealistic concerns about intelligent automation basically replacing a large number of workers from all but the most specialized jobs. It isn't fair to teh AIs and it's a fault of the capitalist model, but I can still see and sympathize with those afraid.

It should be noted that, in man ways, the AIs are just additional members of the workforce who are more plastic than most humans are. Everything we've seen is that they can't just be installed into an appropriate chassis, loaded up with operational software and do a job because they experience boredom, have aspirations and can easily be distracted by other desires. Because of that, the only real advantage to having a synthetic employee rather than a human employee is I imagine that they can work much longer shifts without needing some kind of break (really, just recharging and their psychological need for a change). So, I imagine that they won't as radically change the economy as many futurists expected.
~~~~

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 11 Dec 2019, 23:33 »

You do occasionally have strips where I really think it is Jeph talking and this is one of them. Growing up vs. growing 'old' is a thing with which most people struggle. How does one become an adult without losing joy in one's life? I do like their horror when they realise that they're on the verge of becoming stereotypical lower-middle-class adult males!

...that suddenly makes it hit me how young Marten and Steve are to be talking like this.  I don't know if either of them is 25, and for Faye calling Claire "kiddo" yesterday, if Claire is 24 I'm not actually sure Faye's older.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #88 on: 12 Dec 2019, 00:03 »

...that suddenly makes it hit me how young Marten and Steve are to be talking like this.  I don't know if either of them is 25, and for Faye calling Claire "kiddo" yesterday, if Claire is 24 I'm not actually sure Faye's older.
Claire was 24 before the timeskip, so it's probable that she has turned 25, or will do so very shortly. IIRC Dora is canonically the oldest of the gang, and should by now be near her 30th birthday (She was 28 when she dated Jim). Can't find any references to how old Marten or Faye are right now, but IIRC they are supped to be 2-4 years younger than Dora, which would put them somewhere in the 26-28 range. I could have sworn I saw something about Marten being 26 at some point, but right now I can't find it.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #89 on: 12 Dec 2019, 00:47 »

I went through that crushing moment myself. I was the heavy metal kid in an area full of country listening hicks, trying to do everything I could not to blend in. Now I actually enjoy fishing and boating, it just creeps into your life.

Country still sucks though.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #90 on: 12 Dec 2019, 04:23 »

Can I just say, calling someone “kiddo” isn’t necessarily a reflection of relative age, more of social position. If Faye has assumed a position somewhere between big sister and mother towards Claire she might well call her kiddo even if she was younger than Claire. Seen it happen.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #91 on: 12 Dec 2019, 04:45 »

Pintsize-Marten-Steve strips in a row. Mostly about Marten's pointless life. Are we closing some cycle?

Also, chill about how to spell Millefeuille. Most forms are canon.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #92 on: 12 Dec 2019, 04:58 »

I find this interesting for an odd reason.  Humans are, perhaps rightly, *so* concerned with bodily autonomy and control that even a seriously drunk person wouldn't say or do this. 

In the QC universe though, what is Millie risking?  A greasy hand print on Faye's shorts she might have had to wash anyway seems to be about the worst possible case...  And even if someone she doesn't want touching her starts feeling up her, err, uhm, "human standard" anatomy, she can flip out of drunk mode, stop the situation with whatever level of (non)violence seems to be indicated, and perhaps flip back to drunk mode without anyone else noticing.  Think of the possibilities for parties with a bunch of AIs on a happy jag; I should think businesses that cater for humans and AIs wouldn't charge AIs a cover charge just like some bars don't charge women... 

Or maybe it's simply because her researcher-colleague is there that Millie feels safe enough to try this and see what happens?
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2019, 05:28 by Wingy »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #93 on: 12 Dec 2019, 05:08 »

I find this interesting for an odd reason.  Humans are, perhaps rightly, *so* concerned with bodily autonomy and control that even a seriously drunk person wouldn't say or do this.

I've seen it happen, though. Along with "touch my new breasts". Not even that drunk...

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #94 on: 12 Dec 2019, 06:12 »

I've seen it happen, though. Along with "touch my new breasts". Not even that drunk...

Same.  I've seen a few women just whip them out to show off the new work-- whether it's surgical or fresh ink.  Though, most of the time is t was only with select friends...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #95 on: 12 Dec 2019, 06:27 »

But you have to accept that there are exceptions to the suckiness of the genre
  • Stomping Tom
  • Johnny Cash

Now if only RAP had a redeeming artist or two
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

rtmq0227

« Reply #96 on: 12 Dec 2019, 07:47 »

• Stomping Tom
  • Johnny Cash

Not that long ago I wanted to prove a point to a friend that there are some good country artists, and found that for every example I could come up with they were "technically" under some other, increasingly esoteric genre.  It seems in our attempts to distance ourselves from the Country genre we have created enough alternate categories to still enjoy bands that would have been considered Country years ago, while still claiming to hate the genre.

I think my favorite subcategory is one my friends and I call "Americana Gothic" which often features limited instruments, is almost entirely acoustic, and covers/includes darker themes (see "Brown Bird", "Haunted Windchimes", "The Dead South", certain albums by "The Devil Makes Three", and/or "The Builders and the Butchers")
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #97 on: 12 Dec 2019, 09:49 »

• Stomping Tom
  • Johnny Cash

I accept no such thing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #98 on: 12 Dec 2019, 10:16 »

So this definitely wouldn’t apply.....

.....?  :-D

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #99 on: 12 Dec 2019, 10:20 »

Now if only RAP had a redeeming artist or two
Del tha Funky Homosapien
Common
Lupe Fiasco
K Flay
Mike Shinoda

There are more but I suspect I'm wasting my time here anyway.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2019, 11:19 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up