THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghostbusters!  (Read 5519 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: Ghostbusters!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2019, 08:14 »

Just in case anyone is wondering... This is how you do it properly.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:11 »

I'm gonna have to hold my opinion on this and see how it pans out, but for the moment the trailer has me thinking whoever made it probably is a Stranger Things fan and it has me a little leery of the possibility of imitation.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2019, 06:29 »

I find it interesting that some of the things the Ecto1 can do imitates stuff from the cartoon show and toys from my childhood.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2019, 06:38 »

Which strongly implies that this is a sequel to The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, or at least a fusion of it with the original two movies.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2019, 07:26 »

A fusion makes sense, considering we see the 80s news coverage of NYC in the trailer.

Does this mean the boogie man could come back?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2019, 16:48 »

Just in case anyone is wondering... This is how you do it properly.

The two main issues with the reboot were 1) not knowing when to cut the ad lib, and 2) not having enough faith in the final product (which lead to the marketing leaning too heavily on the cast being women).

Also, spoiling a major plotpoint/plot twist in the trailer really knee-capped it. That credits dance-off was 100% supposed to be in the movie itself.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2019, 17:08 »

Well, that and going for more slapstick comedy than intelligent comedy.
Case in point - explaining the proton packs in 1984, less than 30 seconds and one shot, one of the best subtle moments of comedy in the franchise. 2016 - 3 minutes of Melissa McCarthy leaping about trying to control the proton pack like its an overpowered fire hose.

But that's neither here nor there.

As for next year's Ghostbusters, I'm warily looking forward to it.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2019, 00:06 »

This looks pretty good to me, but I note that the haters are out in force. Again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2019, 11:08 »

This looks pretty good to me, but I note that the haters are out in force. Again.
It's Egon's granddaughter and her friends taking up the mantle. What's to hate?

If they got Dan Akroyd to help with the script, it should be pretty  good.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2019, 12:27 »

I have no emotional stake in the 80s nostalgia boom other than being bored of it. Gen-Xers trying to recapture their long lost childhood is tiresome and putting a huge creative drag on the entire medium.  The vast majority of popular 80s cinema is misogynistic, homophobic, racist garbage with Ghostbusters being no exception. The trailer did nothing for me, all I got from it was that either film or jsut the person who cut the trailer is completely confused about what tone they were trying to go for.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2019, 14:36 »

I totally sympathise with your being bored with the 80s nostalgia thing (although don't worry, your turn will come).

What's so confusing about the tone?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2019, 17:11 »

To be fair, my childhood was full of trauma and emotional abuse and most of it lost to the void of psychogenic amnesia so I'm not to big on nostalgia of any kind. So I'll be equally annoyed by it in another 10 years.

Mind you I only saw the trailer once cos I didn't care enough to watch it again, but it felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted it to be scary or funny or actiony. It just felt like a mess, to me.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2019, 22:23 »

I think that you should ask yourself whether you're getting those ideas (especially 'funny') from the trailer or from your expectations from the name 'Ghostbusters.' Because to me, the tone from the trailer is very straightforward.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jan 2020, 00:24 »

Mind you I only saw the trailer once cos I didn't care enough to watch it again, but it felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted it to be scary or funny or actiony. It just felt like a mess, to me.

That's an easy muddle to get into if you're not particularly familiar with the Ghostbusters franchise. The point is, though, that a Ghostbusters story should indeed be a mix of action, supernatural and comedy. It can also get quite dark in places. It's all the part of Ivan Reitman and Howard Ramis's unique vision that created the franchise.
~~~~

Pages: [1]   Go Up