THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your favorite reinterpretation of the Land of Oz?

Black Brick Road of O.Z. by Xamag
Wicked, et al. by Gregory Maguire
Namesake by Megan Lavey-Heaton and Isabelle Melançon
The Wiz: The Super Soul Musical "Wonderful Wizard of Oz"
A Barnstormer in Oz by Philip José Farmer
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1986 TV series) a.k.a. Oz no Mahōtsukai
Emerald City Confidential (2009 video game)
A.M. Volkov's Magic Land
the 1925 movie adaptation
Once Upon a Time
Sir Harold and the Gnome King by L. Sprague de Camp
Skin Horse by Shannon K. Garrity and Jeffrey Channing Wells
Tin Man (SyFy miniseries)
MGM's 1939 musical
Otherland Oz by Tad Williams
I have no experience with any of these
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4185-4189 (27th - 31st, January 2020)  (Read 17499 times)

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT 4185-4189 (27th - 31st, January 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jan 2020, 04:54 »

Like I said before, Faye is feeling too unwell to really have a 'response' to this revelation right now. However, I'm getting the feeling that she feels ambivalent about not being in the 'trusted person' loop who was told stuff right away, no matter how ridiculous it seems in hindsight for this to be something that Claire would just jump out and mention. As I said yesterday, she might have some questions later on but, for now, her mental focus is too scattered to really have any firm thoughts or opinions.

Completely agree with the first bit. And from that I wouldn’t personally equate Faye’s response to that of someone who’d be dismissive or uncaring about a revelation that important. When you’re ill, sometimes basic pleasantries go out of the window because the head and body are going AWOOGA! AWOOGA! I’M ILL! AWOOGA! At the expense of everything else.
Even without that, I think there’s a lot to be said for BenRG’s second point about not being in the ‘trusted person’ loop. Everyone has people in their friendship group and family, based on experience of how each person reacts to things, that they adjust their expectations about revealing really personal important stuff to them with. Marten is in the trusted person loop - and because there’s been that synergy between him being her love interest and someone loving and wholly accepting of her when he got the news, that’s only enhanced his trusted status over Faye, and that’s to be expected, I think.
Also, my own brother sometimes if I’m talking to him about something difficult going on sounds ambivalent in his reactions to what I’m saying - but I know that to be just his manner of expressing things and not an indication that he doesn’t care. Maybe Faye’s similar?
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2020, 11:11 by thedevilissix »

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:04 »

New strip up.

Old Pintsize back. *lol*

:-D I thought the threat from Claire to flood him with SMIF Library Catalogue Science had put paid to his fiendish ways! Maybe we might yet see her carry it out  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jan 2020, 06:53 »

Does Claire still work at the library?  She may have finished up and no longer have access .  Or Pintsize figured out she was bluffing and gives it a "well played" accolade.

In terms of Claire not letting Faye know, remember that she referred to herself as the "dominant female".  She was just probably just having fun with her, but Claire may have felt hesitant about opening up to that extent.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:04 »

Alternative reading: Faye really has no problem at all with Claire’s revelation. And Claire’s smile is because she’s thinking “I did it again! I came out to someone and it went great! All my friends have been so cool about this!”

If Faye had a problem, either with Claire being trans or with Claire not telling her until now, I think she’d be more rather than less likely to react badly when she’s not feeling well. So I am taking Faye’s mellow reaction at face value.

Agreed. Claire's just happy that everyone's been so cool about it, and the more amazing part is that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE (even Pintsize!) has broken her trust by mentioning or hinting about it to Faye. Being respected and in control like that is AMAZING.

On the other hand, Faye might end up feeling a teensy bit o' butthurt because the two people she's closest to didn't so much as drop a hint. She'll get over it quickly with a little rational thought. There's simply never been the slightest reason before now to discuss Claire's biology.

So anyway, why is anyone talking about anything else other than Bubbles' pretty yellow dress (which looks amazing with her dark red dermal) and her purse?

I WANNA SEE BUBBLES' UNDOUBTEDLY UNBEARABLY CUTE LITTLE PURSE AND THE REST OF THE DRESS!

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jan 2020, 13:47 »

I'm imagining a nice, slightly frilly hat to go with that outfit.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2020, 17:22 »

I can't imagine a frilly hat with that dress, but a nice string of pearls would be on point.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #56 on: 29 Jan 2020, 19:00 »

My question, did Claire forget that she already told Pintsize she was trans, or did Jeph forget?  :-)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jan 2020, 19:49 »

I took Faye's reaction to mean that she was totally cool with Claire being who she is.  The problem, if there is one, is gonna come from her first reaction was to ask if it was okay to loop Bubbles in, only to find out that Bubbles already knew and hadn't told her.  Because that means that either Bubbles didn't ask to loop Faye in, or Claire said no, and either way it kinda makes Faye feel like an outsider in her own household.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan 2020, 19:50 »

New comic!

My immediate thought at the last panel was "DO NOT", and I was glad to see Jeph was on top of it in the corner caption.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jan 2020, 21:01 »

I see the occasional possum waddling around the back yard, coming up from the creek that runs through the woods in back. I leave it alone so that it may go about its job of eating any tick it finds, to which it is welcome.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2020, 21:03 »

References to opossums as possums are confusing as heck to this Australian.  :psyduck:

They are not the same.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #61 on: 29 Jan 2020, 21:24 »

I can't imagine a frilly hat with that dress, but a nice string of pearls would be on point.
A sun hat with a wavy brim perchance?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #62 on: 29 Jan 2020, 21:27 »

References to opossums as possums are confusing as heck to this Australian.  :psyduck:

They are not the same.
But they are both marsupials
a real-ass gaddam sword

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 29 Jan 2020, 22:00 »

I thought Pintsize already knew Claire was trans.  A strip from a couple years ago jogs my memory about her telling him about it.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

awkwardness

« Reply #64 on: 29 Jan 2020, 22:33 »

They are not the same.

Distant cousins, differing thanks to continental drift...but still related and the reason why they were called "possum" by settlers in Australia- yes, they are named after their distant American counterparts

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #65 on: 29 Jan 2020, 23:11 »

I know that this is silly, but I'm hoping that the opossum was 'found' in a luxurious habitat provided by a pet shop and that Pintsize finally has a pet and collaborator who is on the same level as him! It's pretty clear from panel 4 that Marten and Claire hope so too!

I've been trying to figure out what wa different about Claire and then I realised that Jeph's experimenting with putting the lips on his characters again. Panel 4, especially, gives her a pouty look which causes the 'adorable' light to flash in my head. I'll have to think about it and decide whether this is a good change. Apart from panel 3, it certainly manages to be unobtrusive and natural.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 29 Jan 2020, 23:13 »

I thought Pintsize already knew Claire was trans.  A strip from a couple years ago jogs my memory about her telling him about it.

He did.  I don't remember why she told him, but Marten is surprised he doesn't make a rude joke in response, and he says, I think verbatim or very close, "I'm an asshole, not a monster."

(RWBY doesn't count?  Probably wouldn't be my pick, but if Skin Horse counts...)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #67 on: 29 Jan 2020, 23:24 »

He did.  I don't remember why she told him, but Marten is surprised he doesn't make a rude joke in response, and he says, I think verbatim or very close, "I'm an asshole, not a monster."
Found it: 3185
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2020, 23:35 »

Found it: 3185
.... That's a thousand Strips ago. Almost 201 weeks, almost four friggin' years of our time.

Let's just say, Claire forgot about that herself, given her condition it's not that surprising
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2020, 23:47 »

(RWBY doesn't count?  Probably wouldn't be my pick, but if Skin Horse counts...)
I fell off at the end of season 3 or 4.

Is it Oz adjacent? I know it draws on several stories (JNPR is genderbent Joan d'Arc, Thor, Achilles, and Mulan).
a real-ass gaddam sword

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2020, 02:03 »

No, seriously, this is a Claire I can get on-board with....
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:42 »

A sun hat with a wavy brim perchance?
Well, not a real one like my wife has - the dress is too dressy for it.  But a fake one, yeah, I could see that. 

But then, I'm pretty indifferent to fashion.  I figure as long as your bits are covered, it's not anyone elses' business what someone is wearing.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #72 on: 30 Jan 2020, 07:48 »

Insofar as Faye has identified as cis until pretty recently, I can't imagine she'd be all shocked and freaked out by Claire's revelations.  She, and her best friend Dora are big, and Dora is engaged to a lesbian.  Pfft!

Penquin47

« Reply #73 on: 30 Jan 2020, 08:45 »

As far as we know, Faye still identifies as cis.  And, unfortunately, it's quite possible to be both LGB+ and transphobic.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2020, 09:50 »

Insofar as Faye has identified as cis until pretty recently, I can't imagine she'd be all shocked and freaked out by Claire's revelations.  She, and her best friend Dora are big, and Dora is engaged to a lesbian. 
Being cis has fuck-all to do with sexual orientation.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Penquin47

« Reply #75 on: 30 Jan 2020, 10:09 »

And Jeph has now fixed the comic to reflect that Pintsize already knew.  Did he change the ending?  Because I thought Claire said something about not wanting to encourage Pintsize, not that she missed her chance...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2020, 10:51 »

And Jeph has now fixed the comic to reflect that Pintsize already knew.  Did he change the ending?  Because I thought Claire said something about not wanting to encourage Pintsize, not that she missed her chance...
Yeah, that she did. Not sure why that was changed; I thought it referred exclusively to encouraging him to abduct wild animals which is definitely something you want to avoid, regardless.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2020, 10:56 »

I happened to still have the old version open in a tab, so here's the original dialog:

... so now Faye and Pintsize know I'm trans.
Oh, okay. Were they cool about it?
Faye was, and Pintsize had brought an opossum into the house so I don't think he really cares.
Does he still have it? I've always wanted to pet one.
Me too, but I didn't want to encourage him.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2020, 13:16 »

Wouldn't a wild opossum be alive with fleas, ticks etc? Why would anyone want to pet one?  :-o
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2020, 13:24 »

Fleas, probably. Ticks? They eat ticks.

They have wickedly sharp teeth, though.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jan 2020, 14:04 »

As far as we know, Faye still identifies as cis.  And, unfortunately, it's quite possible to be both LGB+ and transphobic.

Yup, I can unfortunately believe that. If there are some LGB+ people in the U.K. who view the Conservative party for instance in a positive light, considering they brought into law Section 28 (a law prohibiting teaching about homosexuality and bisexuality in schools in the U.K. between 1988-2003, Scotland repealed it first though in 2000) - a law that literally influenced a culture in school where they couldn’t be themselves....I can believe anything approaching that too, sadly. Maybe there’s been something in their own background that hasn’t been a great influence for them to think and act in that ignorant a manner, I feel sad for anyone who is transphobic really.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #81 on: 30 Jan 2020, 19:50 »

They are not the same.

Distant cousins, differing thanks to continental drift...but still related and the reason why they were called "possum" by settlers in Australia- yes, they are named after their distant American counterparts
Both words are used for the same animal in NorthAm. "Possum" among friends on a Saturday night, "Opossum" on the driver's license and other formal documents.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 30 Jan 2020, 23:15 »

Wow! I haven't seen naivete that bad since Leonard of Quirm said that "no government would allow such madness" on the subject of using bomber aircraft to destroy enemy cities in Terry Pratchett's The Last Hero!

Seriously, it's interesting to pick apart just what May is doing now. She clearly feels that she's potentially someone whose problems could lead to real change for many people and doesn't want to mess up this process. She doesn't come out and say it explicitly but she clearly feels that her own problems are worth it if she can change things for everyone. That said, I do think that she's overestimating the average politician's ability to empathise. Roko is more likely to get a lecture on why things are just fine the way they are and why May would be worse off with a body that works properly.

Setting this aside, though, whilst I understand May not wanting to be 'a charity case', I do feel that she's approaching what Momo and Winslow are saying from the wrong mindset. Don't think about it as being a 'charity case'. Instead, think of it as your friends wanting to help you in any way they can.
~~~~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jan 2020, 23:51 »

Eh. Leonard went from zero to harmonica rifle in one easy step (not even John Moses Browning managed that kinda leap) so I get that his brain isn’t quite in sync with the rest of the universe. These guys seem so normal most of the time though…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #84 on: 31 Jan 2020, 01:14 »

Wouldn't be getting a functional body or change broken bodyparts the AI equivalent of a decent healthcare for humans? Maybe things are working better in other countries? The US never seemed to be on part in that aspect...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Gyrre

« Reply #85 on: 31 Jan 2020, 02:57 »

Wouldn't be getting a functional body or change broken bodyparts the AI equivalent of a decent healthcare for humans? Maybe things are working better in other countries? The US never seemed to be on part in that aspect...
American insurance companies are to thank for that.
[Yes, they cite their sources.]

a real-ass gaddam sword

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #86 on: 31 Jan 2020, 10:00 »

"Horrible Pornogroans Monthly"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 31 Jan 2020, 10:30 »

Possibly the most diabolical periodical ever conceived by the human mind: Extreme-fetish stuff merged with awful puns and memes!
~~~~

knavecornbread

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #88 on: 31 Jan 2020, 11:04 »

I relate more and more to May as this story goes on. It's SO hard for me to handle talking to friends who just think it'll all get better if I just ask the right person for help. As if I haven't been through all that before and seen that nobody with the power to change things actually gives a toss, and I'm better off focusing my efforts on living within my means.

I mean, wow, I never expected May to become so relateable. I remember when she was first introduced I thought she was like a female version Pintsize. Kind of makes me wonder what Pintsize would have been like if he hadn't become Martin's companion. Maybe he'd have ended up in a situation like May's.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #89 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:57 »

"May and Pintsize have switched chassis. Let's see if anyone notices!"

But now May is willing to suffer in order to set a precedent that can help future AIs. Wonder if Momo is rubbing off on her.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #90 on: 31 Jan 2020, 14:04 »

Parallel, but not equivalent. As notsocool pointed out, AIs have an option we don't, which is to live on a server farm.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #91 on: 31 Jan 2020, 17:06 »

Possibly the most diabolical periodical ever conceived by the human mind: Extreme-fetish stuff merged with awful puns and memes!
It's like the internet condensed into a magazine!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #92 on: 31 Jan 2020, 19:36 »

Anyone notice that May is being altruistic? Putting others before herself?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

cybersmurf

« Reply #93 on: 01 Feb 2020, 03:16 »

Oh, my! Is she going soft on us?
Or does she want the authorities to do a proper job instead of being a charity case?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #94 on: 01 Feb 2020, 05:53 »

Going to be honest, I thought Wicked and it's sequels would do a lot better in the poll. Even if only for the fact that it's got a pretty good musical.

Y'all need to do yourselves the favor of seeing Wicked and The Wiz: TSSM WWoO .
(You'll want a filmed stage production of the latter. The film wasdone in the late 70s and gets weird in the not-so-fun way.)

Oh, my! Is she going soft on us?
Or does she want the authorities to do a proper job instead of being a charity case?

It can be both.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Dngrsone

• Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #95 on: 01 Feb 2020, 12:22 »

Not the first time. Remember when she mom'd everyone when they tried cooking rice? [3842-44]

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #96 on: 01 Feb 2020, 17:20 »

I happened to still have the old version open in a tab, so here's the original dialog:

... so now Faye and Pintsize know I'm trans.
Oh, okay. Were they cool about it?
Faye was, and Pintsize had brought an opossum into the house so I don't think he really cares.
Does he still have it? I've always wanted to pet one.
Me too, but I didn't want to encourage him.
I never saw this original, but yeah, Pintsize has known for a minute so the strip needed the revision.
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #97 on: 01 Feb 2020, 17:22 »

Wicked shahp?
stePH
--

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #98 on: 02 Feb 2020, 06:00 »

Wicked shahp?
In Boston, sure, but not in Northampton. Fun fact: people in western Massachusetts, aa a rule, do not talk like Bostonians. In particular, they keep their “r”s; the line of non-rhoticity is currently somewhere around Worcester and is retreating eastwards.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

awkwardness

« Reply #99 on: 05 Feb 2020, 21:23 »

Wicked shahp?
In Boston, sure, but not in Northampton. Fun fact: people in western Massachusetts, aa a rule, do not talk like Bostonians. In particular, they keep their “r”s; the line of non-rhoticity is currently somewhere around Worcester and is retreating eastwards.

The line used to be 128 but over the decades it shifted to 495. Nothing exists west of 495 to Bostonians since we never have any reason to go out past there unless we are forced to by work or family...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up