• 19 Mar 2024, 02:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who'd win in a fight?

Big Bad Beetle Borgs
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (1st season only)
Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (Gridman)
VR Troopers
TMNT
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4201-4205 (17th - 21st, February 2020)  (Read 14655 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT 4201-4205 (17th - 21st, February 2020)
« on: 15 Feb 2020, 22:50 »

1) I am not a market researcher for, nor am I employed in any capacity by Post/General Mills/Kellogg's/etc. #NotSponsored
2) There's flippin' Sour Patch Kids and Cold Stone Creamery cereal now.
3) As an actually serious suggestion, I'd like to see some variations done on the cherry cordial. Blackberry and raspberry sound like they'd be amazing done as such.

Anyways, I wonder when Nelson will promote Roko?

EDIT: legal disclaimer added.  point 3 added
EDIT 2: text color change, typo fix, and ammending previous edit list to include the thing I forgot.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2020, 23:05 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT 4201-4205 (17th - 21st, February 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2020, 00:04 »

Childhood obesity is reaching a point of public health crisis and presumably only exacerbating the issues facing the US healthcare system. But let's by all means have a discussion of breakfast cereals aimed at children consisting of roughly 50% sugar.  :psyduck:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2020, 00:42 »

As a type-2 diabetic, finding a breakfast cereal that is not essentially toxic for me is a struggle and I have to actually travel several miles to find a retailer that sells low(er) sugar options.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2020, 06:24 »

I’m not diabetic, but I can’t stand having sugary food for breakfast. I always end up feeling like crap by 11 AM.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2020, 07:33 »

Childhood obesity is reaching a point of public health crisis and presumably only exacerbating the issues facing the US healthcare system. But let's by all means have a discussion of breakfast cereals aimed at children consisting of roughly 50% sugar.  :psyduck:

The poll was an exercise in absurdism.

Both sides of my family have several type II diabetics and my maternal side (grandmother, great aunt) also has type I diabetics. I've thankfully manage to avoid developing hypoglycemia so far, but it's a struggle.
[Get your A1C checked at your next physical.]

EDIT: I do a lot of my own cooking and try to limit my junk food intake, so that helps. As does walking around for ~6 to 8 hours of my four 10 hour shifts. The winter sugary food cravings are annoying, though.
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2020, 07:39 »

Cliché says: in the US everything contains sugar. Or even more than usual.

Like a decade ago I was visiting the US, and I was surprised how much sweeter things are, and I even threw away a bottle of something because it was nothing but sweet.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2020, 09:06 »

Cliché says: in the US everything contains sugar. Or even more than usual.

Like a decade ago I was visiting the US, and I was surprised how much sweeter things are, and I even threw away a bottle of something because it was nothing but sweet.
That's largely impart due to the high-fructose corn syrup so many companies use. Which happens to be one of the major driving forces behind the obesity issue Tova mentioned (along with what is essentially class warfare and other factors, but there's a DISCUSS for that). The unnecessary addition of artificial sweeteners to products that already contain HFCS or sugar already (yes that happens) probably doesnct help either.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2020, 13:01 »

I’m not diabetic, but I can’t stand having sugary food for breakfast. I always end up feeling like crap by 11 AM.

I think that the only reason I'm *not* diabetic is that I don't like sugar, nor unmitigated sweet in general.  My preferred fruits even are somewhat tart.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Dngrsone

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2020, 13:42 »

there are so many ice cream shakes with cereals in them now, that the option is kind of moot.

Not a fan of sugary things, personally.

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2020, 15:24 »

there are so many ice cream shakes with cereals in them now, that the option is kind of moot.

Not a fan of sugary things, personally.
Oh.

I don't eat out much, so I didn't know that.
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2020, 20:03 »

Comics up.

Oh Beeeeeps..... :(

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2020, 20:39 »

Yeah...I see this and honestly I kind of feel like Roko needs to take charge more often if only because beeps seems incompetent and the little pink anthropc is either too busy or unwilling to step in.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2020, 22:11 »

There is a power and/or competence near-vacuum here that has desperately needed filling for some time.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2020, 23:09 »

Yeah, that's Beepatrice alright. She's the comedically inept one who never quite seems to be organised enough, mentally or emotionally, to know what her real priorities are. When she does know them, she's so intimidated by them that she just waits for them to go away! Fortunately, I've never had a boss like her although I have had bosses who want me to do something and have to have it explained to them that they haven't provided the resources to do so.

For me, this is made worse by how cutely helpless Beeps can get. So, you know that Arthur can never get mad at her. His instinct is probably identical to mine: To hug her, tell her to sit down in a quiet room with her eyes closed and then handle the stuff myself.

I just wonder how long this organisation has been unregistered or something because Beepatrice is frightened to confront the regulatory paperwork! That is something I can empathise with, working as I do in the care industry!
~~~~

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:09 »

The comic's not showing up for me...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:11 »

Yeah, the front-page image link looks like it's broken. Go via the archive page or follow this link.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:31 »

I guess Beeps must have been thrown into her current position rather than seeking it out? She avoids managerial work but is more than happy to perform tasks like go out to buy stationary. I can only assume that some position swapping will come sooner or later.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came across as cranky at you. I'm definitely cranky at the companies that produce this stuff masquerading as breakfast cereal. Among other such companies. I did work in the US for a couple of months at one time, and one of my enduring memories was how you had to go out of you way to find decent bread not stuffed with sugar. It drove me crazy.

As a type-2 diabetic, finding a breakfast cereal that is not essentially toxic for me is a struggle and I have to actually travel several miles to find a retailer that sells low(er) sugar options.

That sucks. You have my sympathies.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:45 »

There were times when the hardest part of my job was teaching a new boss how to be a boss (though in retrospect, "Sit over there and let me do my ****ing job" might not have been the healthiest of lessons in the long term).
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gyrre

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2020, 04:22 »

Okay, I think it's safe to say this week's original poll went over like a lead balloon. I'm just going to replace it with the original one that popped in my head thanks to Death Battle.

EDIT: I don't know enough about Kamen Rider to be sure about adding it. Including Gridman was reaching enough.

There were times when the hardest part of my job was teaching a new boss how to be a boss (though in retrospect, "Sit over there and let me do my ****ing job" might not have been the healthiest of lessons in the long term).
That reminds me of an interesting description I've heard about a manager's job. 'It's not to know how to do every little thing, it's to know enough about the positions they supervise to be able to facilitate the jobs.' Partially paraphrased and 100% from a supervisor.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2020, 04:32 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2020, 05:22 »

Fixed now!

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2020, 05:48 »

So the last 2 comics have mentioned an Arthur off-screen, but we've previously only seen Nelson (the small pink AI).  I was thinking that Melon's orange roommate must also work or volunteer at the organization, but when I went looking I found that the leader of Faye's support group was also named Arthur.  So now I'm kind of curious which Arthur works there, or if he's someone else entirely.

Gyrre

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2020, 06:29 »

So the last 2 comics have mentioned an Arthur off-screen, but we've previously only seen Nelson (the small pink AI).  I was thinking that Melon's orange roommate must also work or volunteer at the organization, but when I went looking I found that the leader of Faye's support group was also named Arthur.  So now I'm kind of curious which Arthur works there, or if he's someone else entirely.

Good question. Maybe Jeph meant Nelson?

EDIT: typo fix and time for bed.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2020, 15:09 »

How is "the kid" going to do the paperwork while Beep's getting pens if he doesn't have a pen?  :psyduck:

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2020, 15:37 »

Beepatrice doesn't know either! She's making this up as she goes along! Stress and embarrassment doing their dark work!
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2020, 17:40 »

I guess Beeps must have been thrown into her current position rather than seeking it out? She avoids managerial work but is more than happy to perform tasks like go out to buy stationary. I can only assume that some position swapping will come sooner or later.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came across as cranky at you. I'm definitely cranky at the companies that produce this stuff masquerading as breakfast cereal. Among other such companies. I did work in the US for a couple of months at one time, and one of my enduring memories was how you had to go out of you way to find decent bread not stuffed with sugar. It drove me crazy.

That sucks. You have my sympathies.

I figured the 'vegetable based cereal' option was clue enough to it being absurdist. Perhaps I should have included 'pop based on vegetables' to drive the point home.
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2020, 18:14 »

New comics up.

*Elliot bridal carries her down*

Renee: MUST NOT BE JEALOUS.

Gyrre

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2020, 20:47 »

If Brun is a goblin, what class does she play?
I suppose Guild Merchant for her 5E background.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2020, 23:09 »

It looks like Brun's injury is still bothering her, given that she's got an ice pack on it, so she really shouldn't be trying to help move stuff.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2020, 23:16 »

One of the things that I like about Brun as a character is that the things that normally occur in the back of someone's head occur out in the foreground for her. She'll even enunciate them aloud. Such as the conflict between the understanding of one's social responsibilities and the very human temptation to be lazy. Fortunately, Renee is so long used to it that she's not offended (even if she can be annoyed)!

I suspect that Elliot doesn't know why he wants to carry Brun down the stairs, only that he does. Renee does and I'm increasingly wondering if she'll try to deal with her own romantic issues by trying to 'help out' Elliot with Brun. Nothing good can come of that!

~~~~

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:53 »

*Elliot bridal carries her down*
I expect it would be easier on everyone if Elliot just assisted Brun down the stairs.  But she'd still have to hang onto Elliot, which might tweak Renee a bit...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:43 »

Not a spoiler as far as I can tell, Just Jeph doing what he felt he must do:

I doubt that there is any kind of plot involved with this picture but I can't help but wonder what kind of story could surround this. Roko taking Beepatrice and Winslow clubbing? Winslow realising that there are many a female-presenting synthetic out there who, when dancing, catch his eye?
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2020, 10:13 »

Or maybe it's Winslow realizing that he has about as much skill at dancing as Marten.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2020, 19:17 »

Eliot actually managed a witty comeback! *lol*

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2020, 20:00 »

Ze BURN!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2020, 22:03 »

I doubt that there is any kind of plot involved with this picture but I can't help but wonder what kind of story could surround this. Roko taking Beepatrice and Winslow clubbing? Winslow realising that there are many a female-presenting synthetic out there who, when dancing, catch his eye?

Apparently they're just referencing an anime OP (opening credits sequence).

re: today's comic - wow, that takes me back.  (I had a similar social circle during my school days.)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2020, 23:06 »

Yeah, now Elliot and Renee have finally openly told each other how they feel, they are able to settle into the 'Best Friends' behavioural track. That includes the implicit right and duty to be a wisecracking annoyance sometimes. I find myself wondering how Brun will react to this!

FWIW, I still think that Brun is more aware of how annoying she can be than she lets on and gets a degree of enjoyment in saying something baldly embarrassing, knowing that people will make excuses for her.
~~~~

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2020, 00:18 »

Isnt it a good thing to get a cinammon roll status revoked ?
Carpe Diem

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2020, 00:42 »

wait, was Elliot...a jock???

Wouldn't be that surprised - big strong guys who are good at sport often get an automatic "in" with the jock crowd, even if they aren't seeking it - though I doubt Elliot would ever be obnoxious about it!

FWIW, I still think that Brun is more aware of how annoying she can be than she lets on and gets a degree of enjoyment in saying something baldly embarrassing, knowing that people will make excuses for her.

I'm sure Brun is well aware of how annoying she can be, but I don't think she gets enjoyment out of it.
I suspect it's the nature of her condition that, though she knows and understands the fact of her behaviour being annoying, that knowledge has little effect on her.
She is like someone colour-blind, grabbing clothes from the closet (hey, they're all grey, after all) and wearing something comfortable that just happens to jarringly clash, simply because colour means nothing to them. It may annoy the hell out of colour-sighted friends, but that annoyance is irrelevant from the colour-blind person's perspective.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2020, 19:36 »

Is high school in the US really as hellish as the US media says it is?

I was one of the nerdy kids with no friends in high school, yet I was never bullied.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2020, 20:28 »

I was one of the nerdy kids with no friends in high school, yet I was never bullied.

I think it's highly location and time specific, and down to a whole lot of other factors affecting the ~culture in your school? My school was kind of too packed with kids to have one "in crowd" we could all point to, which probably helped. It was only made to contain like 2400 kids or something, and there were like 3600 of us one year. I was a nerdy kid with a bunch of equally nerdy friends who never got bullied for that or saw it happen to others. That doesn't mean that there for sure weren't any bullies around, just that it wasn't a big enough part of the culture that we all saw and were aware of it. Actually, the only years in school in which I remember seeing bullying take place were in ELEMENTARY school.* Little like 8-10 year olds who would take apart bikes in the evenings and thought they were tough. From the reactions of fellow Americans I've mentioned that to, that wasn't necessarily normal, lol. The little jerks never targeted me despite me being a ~quiet kid in a gifted program, but I remember hating them for how mean they were to other kids. I guess I was that girl who was weird in the like, "pat her on the head and make sure she knows the recess bell rang in the middle of her reading" way. I was their weirdo, lol

* Edit: also middle school with its social rumors-based bullying. Some real Mean Girls shit went down in middle school.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2020, 20:28 »

I was a introvert. Not bullied, but it wasn't fun.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2020, 20:45 »

I was the lone Native kid in school. I was also queer, mentally ill, and accused the star quarterback of rape. So yeah, high school was quite brutal for me. It was also a small town, which likely made a difference. My case isn't exactly typical.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2020, 23:25 »

The path of least resistance may be safer for you but it has a tendency to also be the more damaging. That aside, we are reminded that even someone of Elliot's physical size and ability can be bullied and intimidated by peer pressure into passive compliance.
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2020, 01:29 »

Not necessarily US. Though I'll admit high school was better than elementary. At least there was no beating or strangling involved there. And less teachers going along with it. Still, there were a couple of right bastards in there, and stereotypically, it's the local soccer hero that was one of the worst bullies. Mind, for some reason or other, the guys actually playing on a national level were kind of ok.

The largest incident in my high school career happened after I bested said soccer hero the single time we had a wrestling class.

Things oddly quietened some time later, after we had hockey.  Somehow, the image of me coming at them all bloodied with a half splintered stick stuck.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:45 »

Dammit, Jeph. I didn't want to talk about it too...

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2020, 07:09 »

I say Brun re-appear in the strip and thought.. Ah, cool!

But these last few strips have just felt... I dunno... filler...?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2020, 07:24 »

I think that Jeph is trying to flesh out the three characters a bit. After all, there is every prospect that they're going to almost totally supplant Marten, Hannelore and Claire as main characters.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 20 Feb 2020, 08:24 »

I think that Jeph is trying to flesh out the three characters a bit. After all, there is every prospect that they're going to almost totally supplant Marten, Hannelore and Claire as main characters.

Oooo I hope not.

I'd far rather ANY of the usual suspects as the focus than those three.
(AI aside, of course... I've oddly been enjoying the 'bots stories far more in recent months...)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #48 on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:36 »

Yes. Or at least, in the mid-to-late '80s it was. Matt Groening had it exactly right when he called high school "The Second-Deepest Pit of Hell" and junior high (aka middle school) "The Deepest Pit of Hell".
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:20 »

I don't know what it was like in the 80's, but the  early aughts were shit.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up