• 18 Mar 2024, 23:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who'd win in a fight?

Big Bad Beetle Borgs
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (1st season only)
Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (Gridman)
VR Troopers
TMNT
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4201-4205 (17th - 21st, February 2020)  (Read 14645 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: WCDT 4201-4205 (17th - 21st, February 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:51 »

I don't know what it was like in the 80's, but the  early aughts were shit.
I very much doubt the situation has changed since I was a kid in school.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2020, 12:16 »

These days with the ubiquity of cellphones and social media, I imagine it is a lot worse. Kids can't even go home and get away from it anymore.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2020, 12:50 »

After all, there is every prospect that they're going to almost totally supplant Marten, Hannelore and Claire as main characters.

Who?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb 2020, 15:42 »

Not necessarily US. Though I'll admit high school was better than elementary. At least there was no beating or strangling involved there. And less teachers going along with it. Still, there were a couple of right bastards in there, and stereotypically, it's the local soccer hero that was one of the worst bullies. Mind, for some reason or other, the guys actually playing on a national level were kind of ok.

The guys playing on a national level knew they were hot stuff and didn't have to be bullies to prop themselves up.  Also, the extra training at that level left them with less leftover energy to be bullies.

I got bullied in middle school, but by high school that was pretty well gone.  It helps that I moved between 8th grade and 9th, and again between 10th and 11th, so with my introversion and social anxiety, it was really easy to just be a ghost.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #54 on: 20 Feb 2020, 17:27 »

I think that Jeph is trying to flesh out the three characters a bit. After all, there is every prospect that they're going to almost totally supplant Marten, Hannelore and Claire as main characters.

No, the main characters are already Rocco, Winslow and May with guest appearances by Bubs and her weird human girlfriend.
Quis pater tibi est?

Gyrre

« Reply #55 on: 20 Feb 2020, 17:32 »

wait, was Elliot...a jock???

Wouldn't be that surprised - big strong guys who are good at sport often get an automatic "in" with the jock crowd, even if they aren't seeking it - though I doubt Elliot would ever be obnoxious about it!

FWIW, I still think that Brun is more aware of how annoying she can be than she lets on and gets a degree of enjoyment in saying something baldly embarrassing, knowing that people will make excuses for her.

I'm sure Brun is well aware of how annoying she can be, but I don't think she gets enjoyment out of it.
I suspect it's the nature of her condition that, though she knows and understands the fact of her behaviour being annoying, that knowledge has little effect on her.
She is like someone colour-blind, grabbing clothes from the closet (hey, they're all grey, after all) and wearing something comfortable that just happens to jarringly clash, simply because colour means nothing to them. It may annoy the hell out of colour-sighted friends, but that annoyance is irrelevant from the colour-blind person's perspective.
As a gadfly on the spectrum, I can say that it varies from day to day, stuation by situation for myself.
Some folks very much deserve to be annoyed. Especially if they're causing problems.

EDIT:
Is high school in the US really as hellish as the US media says it is?

I was one of the nerdy kids with no friends in high school, yet I was never bullied.
Location location location

Though, middle school was more hellish for me. The little bastards at mine were bad enough that we had 4 suicides in 3 years.

EDIT: High school became a lot easier for me after I pushed open the locker despite having two assholes trying to shove me into it.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2020, 21:07 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2020, 23:12 »

FWIW, some modern cars' fronts do look like laughing faces (VWs and almost everything from the Far East are particularly like this). So, yeah, I can see one of them triggering Brun's "Stop laughing at me!" automatic reaction. We also know that she's quite capable of overdoing physical reactions, given the harpoon!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2020, 23:14 »

"contemptuous headlights"  :laugh:

Must have been a Volvo...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2020, 23:20 »

Or a Mercedes.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2020, 00:58 »

Is high school in the US really as hellish as the US media says it is?

I was one of the nerdy kids with no friends in high school, yet I was never bullied.

Not necessarily US. Though I'll admit high school was better than elementary. At least there was no beating or strangling involved there. And less teachers going along with it. Still, there were a couple of right bastards in there, and stereotypically, it's the local soccer hero that was one of the worst bullies. Mind, for some reason or other, the guys actually playing on a national level were kind of ok.

The largest incident in my high school career happened after I bested said soccer hero the single time we had a wrestling class.

Things oddly quietened some time later, after we had hockey.  Somehow, the image of me coming at them all bloodied with a half splintered stick stuck.

Oshit elementary school ... I was a late bloomer, and lightest boy in my elementary school class except for that poor bastard I. Without I. subbing as 'the easier target', or my elder cousins' protection, things would have been very bad for me. I worked out from the age of sixteen onward, and made sure everybody knew that judging my physical strength based on my skinny frame was ... a mistake.

Also, school-type made a huge difference back then - things were relatively civilised in the Gymnasium I attended, but the schoolyards of the neighbouring Realschule and Hauptschule were a different Universe altogether. I recall one of my cousins (who attended Hauptschule) cleaning up after a fight and advising me "Forget movies - you always throw the first punch". The German school system was also effectively segregated at the time - the few non-native Germans attending Gymnasium all had European heritage (our equivalent of 'white' - though, effectively, the only true German equivalent to 'white' is 'Western-Germany born Bio-German'. Even German-heritage Germans born in the states of the former GDR complain about exclusion).

Migrant kids were sent to Hauptschule, no matter their aptitude - and that was so normal that it took me over a decade past graduation to even notice.

Mind you, that was 80s provincial Germany. Dunno how things are today.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2020, 01:09 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2020, 01:17 »

Or a Mercedes.

Nah, BMW.

Though there's a German proverb according to which Benzes come with built-in right-of-way.
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb 2020, 01:19 »

In the UK, the apparent assumption is that commercial vans in the 2000-3000kg weight class come with an automatic exclusion from all the rules of the road so long as they are painted white.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2020, 01:51 »

In the UK, the apparent assumption is that commercial vans in the 2000-3000kg weight class come with an automatic exclusion from all the rules of the road so long as they are painted white.

Those... and taxis.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:28 »

These days with the ubiquity of cellphones and social media, I imagine it is a lot worse. Kids can't even go home and get away from it anymore.
Well, we didn't have Facebook yet; but MSN groups was big around here. And they did find ways to use that against you - even if you weren't on there.  FAke accounts giving "your" "honest" opinion on everyone, and all that.

With the ubiquity, and what's worse, the reliance of some teachers on social media, it's got to be worse. On the other hand, it seems there's a bit more attention to the issue now, even if I have some serious doubts about some of the methods that are supposed to combat bullying - which to me seem to give some students a free hand and unfettered access to their victims.

One thing I do know: no child of mine will ever set foot in the high school I went to.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:34 »

Or a Mercedes.

Nah, BMW.

Though there's a German proverb according to which Benzes come with built-in right-of-way.

Don't discount Audi.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #65 on: 21 Feb 2020, 04:01 »

There was this added feeling that the world could end at any moment because two superpowers could lob tons of nuclear missiles at each other. Pretty much everything else was similar - except for the whole internet thing.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2020, 05:10 »

The 80's had big hair and shiny, nuclear blue eye shadow instead of dreads and no makeup.  Otherwise, it was identical because people don't change that much in a single generation.  That is, the kids were still smug little shitz still learning social skills and mostly botching it.

Unlike those of us in the computer lab, who were learning programming skills and mostly botching it, but at least we were mostly able to find jobs...   :evil: :evil: :evil:
This space intentionally left almost blank.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #67 on: 21 Feb 2020, 05:24 »

Hell is other junior high kids.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #68 on: 21 Feb 2020, 11:23 »

The 80's had big hair and shiny, nuclear blue eye shadow instead of dreads and no makeup.

OMG the hair ...  :oops:

Don't discount Audi.

https://www.autohaus24.de/audi-discount

Gyrre

« Reply #69 on: 21 Feb 2020, 19:14 »

Looks like it's a stomp for the TMNT.

EDIT: maybe I should have done that season one limitation across the board. I was mostly just trying to be fair to the contenders that only had one or two seasons to draw from.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2020, 06:09 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #70 on: 21 Feb 2020, 22:44 »

A quick wikipedia trip told me that aparently clove cigarretes are banned on the US since 2009 because a ban was put on all flavor cigarretes except for the regular ones and menthol flavored. Indonesia formally complained that it was discrimination as conveniently menthol flavor are mostly produced in the US while clove cigarretes are mostly produced outside...
Every day you learn something I suppose.

Gyrre

« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:13 »

A quick wikipedia trip told me that aparently clove cigarretes are banned on the US since 2009 because a ban was put on all flavor cigarretes except for the regular ones and menthol flavored. Indonesia formally complained that it was discrimination as conveniently menthol flavor are mostly produced in the US while clove cigarretes are mostly produced outside...
Every day you learn something I suppose.

.......okay.....
That's came from out in left field, but it does explain why I haven't encountered them in a decade.
Now the only ones on the market that don't bother my asthma are the Black & Milds. Seriously, please don't smoke upwind of building entrances.
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #72 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:58 »

No offense, but how do TMNT win against people who can call on GIANT ROBOTS?

"Don! Hit it with your staff!"

"WHAT."

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #73 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:47 »

"Don! Hit it with your brain!"

"WHAT."
There, that’s more like it. Seriously, Donnie gets no respect for saving all their shells from like a gajillion things that are straight up immune to being hit with swords/sticks/pointy things. Or, y’know, building a goddamn tank in a goddamn sewer.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2020, 02:41 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #74 on: 22 Feb 2020, 11:42 »

"Don! Hit it with your brain!"

"WHAT."
There, that’s more like it. Seriously, Donnie gets no respect for saving all their shells from like a gajillion things that are straight up immune to being hit with swords/sticks/pointy things. Or, y’know, building a goddamn tank in a goddamn sewer.
Also they've literally fought and piloted mechs in at least two continuities.
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

« Reply #75 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:58 »

Or a Mercedes.

Nah, BMW.

BMW is "You have to let me pass, I drive a BMW!".

Don't discount Audi.

Oh, you mean the other Volkswagen? Given they're owned by the same people?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #76 on: 23 Feb 2020, 12:52 »

It’s still permissible to refer to the car as Audi, I believe.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #77 on: 23 Feb 2020, 14:30 »

It’s still permissible to refer to the car as Audi, I believe.
Yup, and I still say Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus when appropriate rather than Honda, Nissan, or Toyota.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

cybersmurf

« Reply #78 on: 23 Feb 2020, 21:41 »

You're right, but there's so much familiarity in design choices for VW and Audi. But yeah, they're still different manufacturers, technically.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 24 Feb 2020, 01:22 »

It's also a matter of (some of) the drivers who choose Audi, despite all similarities.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #80 on: 24 Feb 2020, 19:23 »

Or a Mercedes.

Nah, BMW.

BMW is "You have to let me pass, I drive a BMW!".

Nope, it stands for "Bring Mich Werkstatt"

(~ 'Bring Me Garage')

cybersmurf

« Reply #81 on: 24 Feb 2020, 21:22 »

Ou, you mewn  "Bayrischer Mist-Wagen"?
"bawariwn crap car"

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #82 on: 25 Feb 2020, 00:11 »

No, I mewn

Bin Maßlos Wichtig  (~ 'I'm important beyond measure' )

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 25 Feb 2020, 00:26 »

Bucht Met Wieltjes (rubbish on wheels) is what they give it around here.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #84 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:13 »

"Bei Mercedes Weggeworfen"   (~ 'thrown out by Mercedes' )

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2020, 04:35 by Case »

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #85 on: 25 Feb 2020, 12:21 »

Have you driven a FORD lately?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 25 Feb 2020, 13:15 »

Not in the past twelve years, no  :roll: I took my driving test in one. Focus was a well deserved name. Finicky car.

Gyrre

« Reply #87 on: 26 Feb 2020, 02:34 »

Have you driven a FORD lately?
Most uncomfortable bucket seats I've ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

The angle the sides of the seat base and back are set at are not meant for people with broad shoulders or wide hips (I've got both). They're meant for folks with narrow asses and medium or smaller shoulders. Pretty sure the Expedition [for comfort XD] was meant as an SUV to be imported overseas. The seat base could be tilted at two (2) points, and yet the damn thing still cut off the circulation in my thighs.

EDIT: And (of course) my taller coworkers would often leave the seat scooted nearly all the way back with the seat base tilted nearly all the way back-- practically laying down to drive. And then there were those damned non-removable headrests angled 45° forwards. Thankfully I don't run crew transport anymore and don't have to deal with those things anymore.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2020, 21:00 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up