What kind of name is "Buffy" ?
- 3 (37.5%)
Not without Joss, no
- 2 (25%)
Sure but I dont have high hopes
- 2 (25%)
Sure ! What could possibly go wrong ?
- 1 (12.5%)
Undecided - I will check what others say after release.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffy reboot ... again. No Joss !  (Read 7963 times)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Buffy reboot ... again. No Joss !
« on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:55 »

For example here: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a27628611/buffy-reboot-air-date-cast-plot-trailer/
See also: Old Buffy reboot thread from 2010: https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,25447.0.html

So ... this sounds serious this time ? Still no Joss though. Whats the point of Buffyverse without Joss at least supervising ?!?!?!?

Also, I have a very hard time to believe I will ever accept anyone but Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. As far as I can tell, she never did anything else really well, but she nailed Buffy hard.

Also, why didnt they just do Firefly ? At least that show would have potential. Firefly was brutally cut short.

While IMHO Buffy is done, and done extremely well. No way you can do it better. Its like covering a Beatles or Stones song: sure you can do it, but its unlikely that you'll reach the original. (Cue "Wild Horses" by the Sundays from "Buffy the vampire slayer" S03E20 "The Prom")

They probably should have kept Buffy running for some more seasons. That would have been great. If "Married... with children" can manage 11 seasons, easily, why couldnt Buffy as well ?
Carpe Diem

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Buffy reboot ... again. No Joss !
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2020, 06:27 »

Latest I have heard is that Firefly II has been given the green light...
( think I made a post about it in here....)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 07:10 »

IIRC, Buffy ended because SMG wanted to quit.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:17 »

Honestly, there is a lot that could be done better with Buffy, especially without Joss. Buffy for all its strength was till rife with misogyny, some really piss poor takes on homosexuality, and fucking Xander.  It is very much a 90's show with all the toxicity that entails. Joss Whedon only seemed like a feminist when compared to every other dude at the time. He never evolved past that time period, never educated himself further. Suffice to say, I have a lot of complaints about him and the stuff he's made. 90's woke isn't woke at all.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2020, 14:11 »

Joss Whedon is a very.....divisive person.

Which is to say that he should not be left near any sort of production ever again. He's got a very small bag of tricks that he dips into simply for the shock value. Except he's been doing this for 20+ years that its tired, cliched and just plain boring. And that's not getting into how he treats female characters or homosexual characters.

He's just not good. In fact, he's kinda shit.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2020, 09:55 »

Joss Whedon is a very.....divisive person.

Which is to say that he should not be left near any sort of production ever again. He's got a very small bag of tricks that he dips into simply for the shock value. Except he's been doing this for 20+ years that its tired, cliched and just plain boring. And that's not getting into how he treats female characters or homosexual characters.

He's just not good. In fact, he's kinda shit.

I do find the Whedon fanbois annoying, especially when they rage about Firefly which I think is the most overrated show ever.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:01 »

They are just alternate versions of him. Most of them have all the same problems he does.

Then again, fanbois of all varieties tend to be toxic, no matter what the fandom.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:04 »

So ... this sounds serious this time ? Still no Joss though. Whats the point of Buffyverse without Joss at least supervising ?!?!?!?

Also, I have a very hard time to believe I will ever accept anyone but Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. As far as I can tell, she never did anything else really well, but she nailed Buffy hard.

Okay, take this with a fistful of salt, because I am not now, and never have been, a fan of Buffy, or indeed anything Joss has done.

And I also feel, in general, pretty cynical about doing anything that's already been done to death. Which - forgive my bias again - seems particularly acute in the world of US shows.

But really, if you are going to revisit something like this, would you not prefer a fresh take on it?

I totally get the nervousness that it will end up getting screwed up, though.

Warning - while you were typing sdfshosdhfsoifsfdd

Then again, fanbois of all varieties tend to be toxic, no matter what the fandom.

Ah, toxic fandom. Now there's a topic almost worthy of a thread of its very own.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:39 »

There is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, of doing any sort of reboot or remake of any property if you aren't going to do something new and different with it. If you're just going to make the exact same thing a second time, why not just stick with the original?  I'm looking at you, shot for shot remake of "Psyvho".
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2020, 12:06 »

Ah, toxic fandom. Now there's a topic almost worthy of a thread of its very own.

EMACS IS THE ONE TRUE EDITOR!  Sorry, don't plan on starting an editor war here, but people do strongly obsess over the silliest of things, and disturbingly so
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2020, 13:08 »

EMACS IS THE ONE TRUE EDITOR!  Sorry, don't plan on starting an editor war here, but people do strongly obsess over the silliest of things, and disturbingly so
"Herbal tea" IS NOT TEA!
stePH
--

TheEvilDog

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2020, 16:14 »

There is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, of doing any sort of reboot or remake of any property if you aren't going to do something new and different with it. If you're just going to make the exact same thing a second time, why not just stick with the original?  I'm looking at you, shot for shot remake of "Psyvho".

Literally a case of the producers believing that younger people wouldn't watch a film in black and white.

That is the only reason that film got made.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2020, 17:21 »

I usually end those silly arguments by digging out Ed, man!

"Herbal tea" IS NOT TEA!

Order of jam and cream on scones.
Milk first or last in tea.
Etc.

There's something weird about those arguments, they are all hahaonlyserious.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:37 »

I do find the Whedon fanbois annoying, especially when they rage about Firefly which I think is the most overrated show ever.
I absolutely loved Firefly, but honestly I think that was mostly because of the actors. That whole cast was perfect and I want them back together, I don't care who is running the show or if it's even Firefly again.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2020, 13:10 »

Literally a case of the producers believing that younger people wouldn't watch a film in black and white.

I actually wish I could bankroll a live action shot-for-shot remake of Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers set in New York or Chicago, because of all the potential viewers who won't watch an animated or foreign-language film. It's the best Christmas movie ever and more people should watch it.
stePH
--

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2020, 05:41 »

EMACS IS THE ONE TRUE EDITOR! 
Hehehehe!  I could introduce you to several better, starting with edlin...  ;-)

My favorite is a product called Kedit - alas no longer supported - with usable filtering without the need to learn regex and a useful column mode, a simple source code highlighting feature, etc.  Beats the pants off any other editor used for straight text files.

The Visual Studio editor has grown up to be useful for Windoze programmers now that M$ has purchased a few of the Windows tools serious programmers all purchased (e.g. resharper) and built them into the basic editor.

On *ix variants I'll concede that emacs has a large following, perhaps earned, but then this is a group that wants to fire up one tool to do everything...   :evil: :evil: :meh: :wink: :wink:  I'll stop now.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2020, 06:18 »

I actually wish I could bankroll a live action shot-for-shot remake of Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers set in New York or Chicago, because of all the potential viewers who won't watch an animated or foreign-language film. It's the best Christmas movie ever and more people should watch it.
Better than Die Hard? I should give it a watch.

Also I know nothing about emacs or anything like it but it makes me think of the eMac.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up