THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Long time no screen time! Who do you want to see again? (Choose three)

Jimbo
- 6 (6.3%)
Jeremey and Seven
- 7 (7.3%)
Brun
- 14 (14.6%)
Eliott
- 9 (9.4%)
Amir
- 8 (8.3%)
Penny
- 7 (7.3%)
Clinton
- 14 (14.6%)
Lt Abbie Porter
- 11 (11.5%)
Dr Ellicott-Chatham ('Dr John', as I think of him)
- 7 (7.3%)
Beatrice Chatham
- 5 (5.2%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 8 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4190-4194 (3rd - 7th February 2020)  (Read 19883 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 4190-4194 (3rd - 7th February 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 08 Feb 2020, 01:38 »

You're required to have it even if you're left no way to get it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #101 on: 08 Feb 2020, 02:20 »

You keep using that word...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #102 on: 08 Feb 2020, 10:22 »

Well, I suggested that Roko go to a lawyer with political ambitions. However, it looks like Jeph has decided to go one step further. To have a seriously important public figure, genius and, let's be brutal here, defence contractor say that the current situation for May is entirely unacceptable to him. That will make the politicians sit up, take notice and, likely, panic. It will be curious to see how all these barriers to May getting help never really existed at all and how much the bureaucrats will insist that they never blocked, refused or were even aware of Roko's request for a review.

That said, yeah, Hanners is right. Between here and there is going to be a serious mess of rage, fear, political ass-covering and scapegoat-finding and it's going to be a difficult thing to live through for all involved and  their friends.

The problem is it’s still a quick fix from someone who could make it happen.
Not to mention that nearly noone wins when politicians panic.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #103 on: 08 Feb 2020, 10:29 »

You keep using that word...
Not having it incurs a fine.

Weird fact: the Patient Protection and Affordable Care act was ultimately only deemed Constitutional by the Supreme Court by way of the PPAC falling under Congress's power to create new taxes.

If that isn't telling of our country's bureaucratic shenanigans, I don't know what is.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #104 on: 08 Feb 2020, 12:57 »

Okay... not totally clear. "your income tax returned to you? I can only assume you don't get your entire income tax returned to if you have coverage. Can you be more precise?

Does it mean that a portion of your tax is some kind of a health care levy which is returnable only if you can show proof of health care coverage?

Income tax is taken out of your paycheck every time you get paid.  At the end of the year, you're given a statement of how much tax you paid, which you then take to a tax return service to figure out how much you should have paid.  If you didn't pay enough, then you have to pay the balance at that point; if you paid too much, you tell the government and they send you a check (or in modern times deposit it into your bank account).

However, if you can't show that you have health insurance, you don't get the tax return if you overpaid throughout the year.  They just keep the excess as a penalty for not having health insurance.'

This is why despite being single and childless I tell my employers I have two dependents so they withhold less in taxes.  I've had my taxes within a hundred dollars either way for the last ten years (one time I managed to hit it perfectly and had a tax return of $0!) thanks to how shit is structured.  Suits me fine - the government is not getting an interest-free loan from me and I don't have the "omg I'm gonna get a huge tax return!" that leads to it being spent three times before I even get it.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #105 on: 08 Feb 2020, 16:02 »

So, if you owe the government money at the end of the tax year, then there are no consequences whatsoever? That is odd. But okay.

I think I understand it about as well as I want to now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #106 on: 08 Feb 2020, 18:10 »

So, if you owe the government money at the end of the tax year, then there are no consequences whatsoever? That is odd. But okay.

I think I understand it about as well as I want to now.

Ohhhhh there are consequences. Your tax bill suddenly goes up. Ask me how I know. Go on, ask me.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #107 on: 08 Feb 2020, 18:45 »

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #108 on: 08 Feb 2020, 20:50 »

$1,100.
Just another Joe like 46

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #109 on: 08 Feb 2020, 22:08 »

As long as you've paid 90% of your tax bill*, they call it good in that there are no consequences other than having to write them a check instead of getting a refund.  If you paid less than that, though, there's a penalty based on how much you owe.

(Or if you owe less than $1000, or there were some kind of extenuating circumstances such as a natural disaster that affected your income, or a few other ways to get around it.)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 09 Feb 2020, 02:31 »

Okay. I still find it weird that your penalty is based on how much of your income was withheld by your employer for tax, something you have little control over. Or am I misunderstanding that as well?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #111 on: 09 Feb 2020, 07:54 »

You do have control of how much your employer withholds from your check. It's called a W-4 form. You can claim a certain number of exemptions, which your employer uses to determine how much tax should be taken out of your check weekly. You can also ask for your employer to take an additional amount out of each check (weekly, biweekly, monthly) in case you think your withholding won't be enough for the year based on your tax situation. (Looks up at previous post, sighs)

Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #112 on: 09 Feb 2020, 13:19 »

... And if you're self-employed and file quarterly estimated taxes ... you want to be a particularly good estimator. I choose to err on the side of overpaying. It means the government gets the free use of my money for part of the year, but it beats paying a penalty.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #113 on: 10 Feb 2020, 04:33 »

What it does is require you to show proof of coverage to get your state income tax returned to you...

Okay... not totally clear. "your income tax returned to you? I can only assume you don't get your entire income tax returned to if you have coverage. Can you be more precise?

Does it mean that a portion of your tax is some kind of a health care levy which is returnable only if you can show proof of health care coverage?

Buying it is legally required, to make sure there are enough healthy people paying in to meet the costs of the people with pre-existing conditions.

It means, if you don't have a documented health plan, and you paid in too much income tax to the state, then your refund of overpaid tax, all or in part, can be kept by the state.  Ostensibly to help pay off the cost of whatever care you used during the year but did not pay for in the form of private insurance and thus took from the state.  The Federal level ACA (Obamacare) was similarly modeled and this was called the "individual mandate" and worked similarly: if you didn't have proof of coverage, it made the most sense to avoid overpaying taxes (because you wouldn't get a refund). 

Past tense is used above because the Republicans in the federal Congress passed a bill and it was signed into law effectively eliminating the federal individual mandate.*  Now there is a court case pending, last I knew, attempting to remove the last bits of the ACA from the law by noticing that the funding method (the individual mandate) is not severable from the rest of the ACA bits, and since the mandate has been severed (made void), therefore the rest of the law is similarly null and void.  I believe this case is still pending in federal appeals court.

* Certain more libertarian elements (me included) viewed this with rejoicing because it removed what amounts to a tax imposed by executive order.  That's a dangerous precedent to set and accept for any length of time; it's Congresses job to levy taxes, not the executive branch by fiat.  However, we imagined that this event would also force Congress back to doing their job and finding the funds to pay for the rest of the ACA.  This has not turned out to be the case and as a result, many of the state-driven implementation pieces of the ACA are now seriously jeopardized due to lack of funding, with the end result of people dying for lack of proper health care.  The Republican party branded candidates are going to have a lot to answer for come November 6, 2020...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #114 on: 10 Feb 2020, 14:50 »

Funny thing: IIRC over here in Austria, if you manage to tell them you'd get a tax return of less than 800 to 1000 euro, they don't even contest it, since somebody looking at it costs more than that.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #115 on: 14 Feb 2020, 10:55 »

What it does is require you to show proof of coverage to get your state income tax returned to you...

Buying it is legally required, to make sure there are enough healthy people paying in to meet the costs of the people with pre-existing conditions.

It means, if you don't have a documented health plan, and you paid in too much income tax to the state, then your refund of overpaid tax, all or in part, can be kept by the state.  Ostensibly to help pay off the cost of whatever care you used during the year but did not pay for in the form of private insurance and thus took from the state.  The Federal level ACA (Obamacare) was similarly modeled and this was called the "individual mandate" and worked similarly: if you didn't have proof of coverage, it made the most sense to avoid overpaying taxes (because you wouldn't get a refund). 

Okay, I think that now I understand better why Americans are not so enamoured with the ACA - it's pretty hard to see how this system isn't overly complicated & opaque, doesn't spuriously involve the state, and how it acts in a way that is fair (both fairness wrt to burden-sharing and the specifics of penalizing undesired behaviour).

I'd caution against conflating the term 'individual mandate' with this weird tax-deduction penalty whaggamathingy - Not merely to accommodate my OCD, but also because it's easy to imagine that when people debate healthcare systems and compare the ACA to other designs that feature a legal requirement to have insurance (like the Austrian, Belgian and German ones), they will be tempted to assume that the latter also feature this weird income tax-return penalty thingy. That is not the case (not entirely certain about the Austrian & Belgian systems, but it would surprise me if they did).

(click to show/hide)

Anyhow - thanks to everybody who helped educating the furriners.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2020, 11:25 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

« Reply #116 on: 15 Feb 2020, 05:26 »

Okay, I think that now I understand better why Americans are not so enamoured with the ACA - it's pretty hard to see how this system isn't overly complicated & opaque, doesn't spuriously involve the state, and how it acts in a way that is fair (both fairness wrt to burden-sharing and the specifics of penalizing undesired behaviour).

I'd caution against conflating the term 'individual mandate' with this weird tax-deduction penalty whaggamathingy - Not merely to accommodate my OCD, but also because it's easy to imagine that when people debate healthcare systems and compare the ACA to other designs that feature a legal requirement to have insurance (like the Austrian, Belgian and German ones), they will be tempted to assume that the latter also feature this weird income tax-return penalty thingy. That is not the case (not entirely certain about the Austrian & Belgian systems, but it would surprise me if they did).

(click to show/hide)

Anyhow - thanks to everybody who helped educating the furriners.
Removing the profit motive from healthcare in our country would do WONDERS for it.

[For those who have vision impairment of some variety, that's WONDERS in rainbow colos starting with red on the left. Since indigo isn't available in the color selction, teal was  substituted and blue got shifted over one.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #117 on: 16 Feb 2020, 07:26 »

Removing the profit motive from healthcare in our country would do WONDERS for it.

[For those who have vision impairment of some variety, that's WONDERS in rainbow colos starting with red on the left. Since indigo isn't available in the color selction, teal was  substituted and blue got shifted over one.]

That, and doing something about student loans.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
« Reply #118 on: 18 Mar 2020, 23:02 »

That’s Cerenkov radiation. The rest of the comic since then is [woven with] the hallucinations of Marten [et alia], dying from the radiation exposure.
eGads! And that's when he met the Beast of Bourbon! And only after that would the advanced cybrids emerge. Only after would they visit Station. The rule of parsimony would have us disbelieve the great Ellicott-Chatham intellect, eccentricity, and wealth.
My Rollenspiel demands revision.
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up