THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can you pat your head and rub your belly at the same time?

Yes
No
I can even switch which hands I'm doing each task with.
I decline to answer

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4241-4245 (13th April to 17th April, 2020)  (Read 22079 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Oof.
Figured I'd get the new thread started a touch early in the event of additional drama escalation.

I was originally going to ask whether dealing with someone who had youngest child syndrome or only child syndrome was worse, but that'd have required a disclaimer that I wasn't referring to the birth order hypothesis or using a blanket application of the terms to everyone who's an only child/youngest child, and was instead referring to interacting with those individuals who actually hit all of the negative hallmarks of both questionable syndromes in a supremely negative fashion. For example, my own younger brother (the youngest of us three) is lazy, incredibly narcissistic, manipulative, and a unashamed self-entitled mooch who literally throws fits when he doesn't get his way (he's in his thirties, BTW).

So I opted for this simple poll instead since I couldn't think of anything comic related that hasn't already been done and didn't amount to vague posting. I think of a better poll, I'll swap this one out.

EDIT: typo fixes and some typographical emphases (completely blanking on the word).
EDIT 2: Some slight rephrasing to hopefully eliminate some redundancies and maybe make things a little clearer. Yes, that is a long run-on sentence.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 20:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

Re: WCDT strips 4241-4245 (13th April to 17th April, 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2020, 20:44 »

It should be pointed out that a great deal of research has been done to debunk both the birth-order hypothesis and the initial research about only-child syndrome.

BTW, turns out Jeff Bezos is the eldest child of his sibling set.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2020, 20:59 »

I'm also curious about people who boys grow up with only brothers vs girls who grow up with only sisters vs boys who grow up with only sisters vs girls who grow up with only brothers vs boys/girls who grow up with brothers and sisters.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2020, 23:48 »

I'm also curious about people who boys grow up with only brothers vs girls who grow up with only sisters vs boys who grow up with only sisters vs girls who grow up with only brothers vs boys/girls who grow up with brothers and sisters.

Oh! Good question.
I've just got two brothers, so there was a lot of fighting. ⃰ And, like most middle children, I had to play peacemaker a lot.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: From what I understand, a lot of it has to do with socialization in each case. Parents who allow their males sons to actually display emotions and work through them, seem to have more sympathetic and less violent boys according to some anecdotes I've read. Carrying out a proper long-term study for this sort of has several confounding factors and some ethical questions involved to boot, so it'd probably be difficult to do.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2020, 00:46 »

Well, I am the oldest of three sons. And I can tell you quite uncontroversially that the middle child of the three of us was the troublemaker, not the peacemaker.

There are a lot of interacting factors, as you say. In our case, the fact that the two younger brothers were much closer in age to each other than to me was a big part of the dynamic. The two of them fought a lot.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:39 »

As a middle child myself, I was neither a troublemaker nor a peacemaker; if anything I was the most withdrawn of the three of us (and still am).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2020, 04:31 »

It took me a while but, after watching Brent Spiner do it on an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I became determined to master it! :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2020, 08:17 »

Well, I am the oldest of three sons. And I can tell you quite uncontroversially that the middle child of the three of us was the troublemaker, not the peacemaker.

There are a lot of interacting factors, as you say. In our case, the fact that the two younger brothers were much closer in age to each other than to me was a big part of the dynamic. The two of them fought a lot.
Make no mistake that all three of us fought. I usually played peacemaker either out of exasperation or when my ungrateful younger brother was about to get himself hospitalized (usually figuratively, probably actually prevented it twice).
a real-ass gaddam sword

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2020, 09:27 »

I'm an only child, but I'm not the firstborn of my family. Take that, Adler.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2020, 01:49 »

Age gap can do that to you. Among other things, which I do not wish upon anyone.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2020, 04:22 »

Age gap can do that to you. Among other things, which I do not wish upon anyone.
Though, as I understand it from others, an age gap greater than 3-to-5 years is about the only way to get most siblings to act civil with each other (short of a very specific form of "hippie-dippie" parenting that still provides structure).
a real-ass gaddam sword

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2020, 15:15 »

Brun and Mille are so cute~ :mrgreen:

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2020, 17:53 »

Same here, and it's one of those interesting nature-nurture questions (how might have things been different with a different birth order?), as the three of us are almost stereotypical.

I'm the Responsible Eldest, my middle brother is the ****-stirrer (he gets bored and starts poking things and people, though he's mellowed some lately - found a woman who'd put up with him, for one thing), and the youngest spent several years following the middle around (because he was lots more interesting than me, doing my quiet solitary stuff) but eventually figured out who he was, as an independent entity.  (And I'm proud and glad to know that person, separate from him being my brother.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2020, 18:00 »

I had thought that Brun would benefit from a companion like Momo but it looks like she already has a friend with a social protocol database.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2020, 18:04 »

Yeah, that’s definitely the rule and if you forget the dogs will remind you.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2020, 19:10 »

I SORTA can do it, but it's really awkward.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2020, 19:12 »

Just one small reason out of many that these are tough times.

Gyrre

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2020, 20:09 »

I SORTA can do it, but it's really awkward.
That's okay.
I can only reverse hands because I'm semi-ambidextrous and have years of video games under my belt.
a real-ass gaddam sword

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:17 »

Though, as I understand it from others, an age gap greater than 3-to-5 years is about the only way to get most siblings to act civil with each other (short of a very specific form of "hippie-dippie" parenting that still provides structure).

3 and a half years isn't enough to make my sister and I act civil to one another...ethen again she's hypercritical as a defense mechanism and I'm overly protective of family so it's a default that we clash regardless  :cry:

awkwardness

« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:21 »

I had thought that Brun would benefit from a companion like Momo but it looks like she already has a friend with a social protocol database.

I think it's the other way around based on the previous strips, I think Mil is trying hard to be a good neighbor and nice to Brun but might be the one in this to benefit from getting to know someone just as socially awkward as her but without the AI benefit of the doubt...

Gyrre

« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:21 »

3 and a half years isn't enough to make my sister and I act civil to one another...ethen again she's hypercritical as a defense mechanism and I'm overly protective of family so it's a default that we clash regardless  :cry:
Everybody is different.
a real-ass gaddam sword

awkwardness

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:23 »

Oh, so that's why dogs and I don't mix: I try to give them space and only approach when they are still and see that their caretaker isn't in trouble...

Plus I've only been around a couple of dogs for more than a few minutes in my entire 37 and a half years of life

awkwardness

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:23 »

Everybody is different.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing that we are the exceptions to the rule...

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2020, 21:57 »

On the other hand, my brother and I are eighteen months apart almost to the day (Mom tried but I just had to be stubborn and hang on past midnight...).  We fought, of course, but most of the time we were friends.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2020, 23:06 »

I really, really think that Renee would be shocked beyond words to learn that she is the voice of all Brun knows about how to handle social interactions!
~~~~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2020, 03:58 »

Oh, so that's why dogs and I don't mix: I try to give them space and only approach when they are still and see that their caretaker isn't in trouble...

Plus I've only been around a couple of dogs for more than a few minutes in my entire 37 and a half years of life
Yeah, dogs are generally the most hyperactive gregarious five year olds you’ll ever meet, for most of their lifespan. That, together with most doggos not going to doggy college (aka obedience school) because most humans forget its even an option, means they never really develop an ‘off’ button. Especially when they’re already all keyed up from being in the park where there are always lots of new smells and people to go investigate and/or beg treats and pets from.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2020, 06:22 »

So, important question: does Millefeuille think this is a date? She’s blushing a bit in today’s strip, and that does seem like the exact kind of wacky misunderstanding Brun would get herself into.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2020, 07:26 »

following social cues.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Autistic Vulture

« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2020, 09:53 »

So, important question: does Millefeuille think this is a date? She’s blushing a bit in today’s strip, and that does seem like the exact kind of wacky misunderstanding Brun would get herself into.

Millefeuille, IMO, thinks that this might be a date.  More importantly, Millefeuille, between her interactions with Clinton and Brun, is coming across as quite desperate...as in more desperate than I've seen anyone in this strip since Cosette before Steve.

It is likely that by the end of this week we will find out if Brun is interested in dating at all.

dutchrvl

« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2020, 10:12 »

There are so many factors that come into play though....
For example, I am the youngest with 4 elder sisters and 2 elder brothers, but I'm also technically an only child.

And even if you grow up with elder siblings, the respective age differences can really affect how all social interactions and hierarchies develop.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2020, 14:55 »

Regarding Brun and Millefeuille, I don't know where this is going, but it's cute, and I like it.  :)

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2020, 15:51 »

Oof. If anyone seriously hurts Renee, emotionally or physically, Brun is going to be both devastated and PISSED. I like seeing how important Renee is to Brun, but that’s a lot of emotional eggs in one basket.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2020, 18:33 »

Comic’s up.

And to quote a comic from years ago: “That’s some heavy-handed subtext.”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #33 on: 13 Apr 2020, 19:55 »

Author: I'm no longer even sure if I'm doing subtext or not!

:-D :lol: :?

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 13 Apr 2020, 21:58 »

I'm enjoying seeing more of Brun and how she experiences the world.   :-)

It seems very likely to me that we're leading up to a couple of possible comic misunderstandings. Will it be caused by:
a) Millefeuille assuming that her and Brun are dating now
b) Elliot/Clinton hearing about Brun & Millefeuille going out for brunch after sleeping together
c) Elliot/Clinton hearing that Brun ate mille feuille (and they don't realise she's talking about the dessert)
d) all of the above

...I think I'll bet 5 internet cookies on d)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 13 Apr 2020, 23:13 »

It seems that Brun has a very difficult life all told. Things in her physical reality just don't generally work very well and she's been 'managing' rather than really thriving. I wonder if Millifeulle will be better able to empathise than organics because of the whole potential chassis mis-match issue?

Perhaps someone who knows more on the subject than me can say how typical is Brun's experience of what I'm guessing is some type of ASD? Still, at least all the good boys and girls definitely seem to like her!
~~~~

awkwardness

« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr 2020, 23:31 »

I think the subtext that Geoff didn't know but was trying to get across is there are kindred spirits out there that have exactly the same feelings as you and might be able to help someone in need who just happens to be close by...

We just found out how Rokko will be helped, even if it'll take some finagling by Geoff to get the two together

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 14 Apr 2020, 03:17 »

I do have the feeling that they're both in need of making new, good, close friends. And perhaps of seeing the people in their life for what they can be. But then, who a m I to talk.

Also: *insert awkward, unfunny joke about heavy handed sub-text*.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2020, 03:18 »

I do have the feeling that they're both in need of making new, good, close friends. And perhaps of seeing the people in their life for what they can be. But then, who a m I to talk.

Also: *insert awkward, unfunny joke about sub-text*.
Jeph insists he's uncertain as to whether or not it's meant to be.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Autistic Vulture

« Reply #39 on: 14 Apr 2020, 05:19 »

Perhaps someone who knows more on the subject than me can say how typical is Brun's experience of what I'm guessing is some type of ASD? Still, at least all the good boys and girls definitely seem to like her!

There is very little time in which I am not stuck in my own head.  As far as the body being too much, not really, though in this case it might have more to do with being female rather than being autistic.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2020, 05:22 »

Lately I've been having moments where it feels like my body is more a vehicle I happen to inhabit than a true extension of myself. In particular when I'm talking with people in the physical world, as I realize that when they communicate with me they're looking at this physical face which to them represents me.

I don't actually dislike it but I agree with Brun that having a body is... weird.

fearless_fool

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2020, 05:40 »

Re: 4242 Multilayered

Jeph says "subtext?"
I say "Innuendo and out the other..."

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2020, 06:32 »

Speaking for myself, I've been sort of coming to terms with the realization that I'm autistic over the last few years, so I don't know if I can say how "typical" it is, but a large part of it can be summed up as a very generalized fundamental feeling of "there's something wrong with me."  Sometimes, this manifests as a weird contemplation of the strange absurdity of reality and existence, and sometimes, it manifests as everything, everything, everything, everything, everything running through my head all at once and I can't deal with it.

I don't know if that makes sense.  It is a concept and a feeling that is very hard to put into words.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2020, 07:16 »

Speaking for myself, I've been sort of coming to terms with the realization that I'm autistic over the last few years, so I don't know if I can say how "typical" it is, but a large part of it can be summed up as a very generalized fundamental feeling of "there's something wrong with me."  Sometimes, this manifests as a weird contemplation of the strange absurdity of reality and existence, and sometimes, it manifests as everything, everything, everything, everything, everything running through my head all at once and I can't deal with it.

I don't know if that makes sense.  It is a concept and a feeling that is very hard to put into words.
Reality is often absurd but I rarely consider it to be an error on my end, honestly.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2020, 08:03 »

Dang.
Brün has dysphoria too?
Dang.

And now I'm  waiting for another prompting from Imaginary Brain Renée:
"Say Millie-- Wanna do brunch again tomorrow? Maybe try that French dessert?"

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:29 »

I'm just putting the components out there and someone else can assemble them:
greg the dumptruck
mille's new dumptruck

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2020, 12:42 »

Re: 4242 Multilayered

Jeph says "subtext?"
I say "Innuendo and out the other..."
Groucho Marx once said "Love goes out the door when money comes innuendo."
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2020, 18:11 »

Comic's up.

So. who is the Dog Whisperer, Brun or Emily?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2020, 19:01 »

Awwww. :D

Millie: "My hero!"

Gyrre

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2020, 21:49 »

Is the latter sometimes offset by periods of intense hyperfocusing?

I'm autistic and ADD (ADHD type whatever) and both of those happen to me, too.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up