THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Did you know that the full MineCraft soundtrack currently clocks in at over eleven-and-a-half hours?

yes
no
It's how long?!?!?
Since when?
loving the new Nether update songs
purple monkey dishwasher

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4246-4250 (April 20th-24th, 2020)  (Read 14868 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT 4246-4250 (April 20th-24th, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 22 Apr 2020, 21:44 »

I really feel like Faye was channeling my feelings about the whole "was this a date?" question.

So.

She can judge all of my posts now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 22 Apr 2020, 21:59 »

so I mean, we're sort of seeing the author's view in faye's reaction face, right? 'yes, obviously it was a date.'

The question, the one mille probably wants to be asking, is 'does this or will this (or do I want this to) have any romantic or sexual implications?' While I consider freeing the concept of a date from the associated social expectations to be a good thing, on the whole; we can't just pretend they don't exist in the first place.

that said, the only real answer to any of -that- is probably a big ol' 'iunno, ask her'.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #52 on: 22 Apr 2020, 22:10 »

Remember the days when this comic wasn't solely about everybody hooking up with everybody else?

...Yeah, me neither.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #53 on: 22 Apr 2020, 23:26 »

Um, yes. I remember storylines that weren't solely about everybody hooking up with everybody else.

Roko's dysphoria? Bubbles' memories? Hannelore's relationship with her mother and father? Claire's exams and future career? Marten figuring out his life's goals? Dora's trust issues? Remember those? Should I go on?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Apr 2020, 23:32 »

I'm not brilliant at reading body language. However, if I'm right, irrespective of the answer, Millie wants this to have been a date. She's reacting with unconscious pleasure to the memories of her morning with Brun.

Of course, this is where things get complicated. Just because Millie likes Brun enough to go over the fabled 'like-like' boundary, is this reciprocated? Can it be reciprocated? I think that this is where Faye and Bubbles will really be able to help her because I think that Millie can justly be concerned that she avoids pushing things.

Meanwhile, Faye now knows what it's like to be Marten when Dora or Tai come to beg him for relationship advice.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #55 on: 23 Apr 2020, 00:51 »

I may not be great at reading others, but Faye's expression in the last panel is one I'm quite familiar with. I've worn it often.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #56 on: 23 Apr 2020, 05:19 »

Can it be reciprocated?
Considering the buildup of Brun so far, that answer is clearly no, which leaves the Clinton-Elliot-Brun triangle intact.  Though the clearer it becomes that Brun isn't there, the closer we can bring Roko and Millie (for example) and the easier for Elliot to grow a pair and start trying with Clinton.

Clearly Brun could grow some more and maybe begin figuring out the whole relationship dynamic with much possible hilarity (not all at Brun's expense either).  In that same vein, Marten and Claire getting together may finally give Clinton the space he needs to figure out who he is, not in relation to Claire.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 23 Apr 2020, 07:59 »

No, it can’t be reciprocated. Brun’s on the spectrum and doesn’t really understand why you’d want a relationship. If past story arcs didn’t make that clear, her summary of the yes/no consequences of going on a date should hammer that home.

There’s absolutely no reason to think Mille and Roko would get together. Not only have they shown zero interest in each other, there’s no bread involved, or Human Abs.

Despite Clinton’s romantic interests so far being entirely about women, I wouldn’t be surprised at this point if Elliot-Clinton became a thing. It’s not so much that Elliot’s been interested for ages, since Clinton’s followed similar arcs where he’s interested in someone and it never worked out. It’s that walk they had together. Jeph tends to foreshadow relationships that way.

Clinton’s heterosexuality so far doesn’t bear. Faye was exclusively hetero until Bubbles started fantasizing about her.

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind a storyline where things didn’t work out because not everyone is attracted to all genders and species. If robots are a species, that is.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 23 Apr 2020, 08:21 »

People on the spectrum can understand wanting relationships.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 23 Apr 2020, 08:48 »

Not all of them. My understanding is the whole point of talking about “the spectrum” is that there’s considerable variance in what that means. Brun’s been presented explicitly as someone who doesn’t really understand why you’d want to date. She only accepted once out of curiosity, and her takeaway was that they’re boring. Always.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #60 on: 23 Apr 2020, 12:35 »

It occurred to me that when Brun was describing what she liked about clocks, much of that precision engineering also applies to Millie...  And they did hit it off pretty well, the opposite of Brun's "dates are boring". 

Still, if it's going to go anywhere at all, it's going to be at a pace that makes every other relationship in the comic to date seem brisk...

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 23 Apr 2020, 13:41 »

For the last time, it's not a date unless it's clear it's a date.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

Gyrre

« Reply #62 on: 23 Apr 2020, 13:44 »

Not all of them. My understanding is the whole point of talking about “the spectrum” is that there’s considerable variance in what that means. Brun’s been presented explicitly as someone who doesn’t really understand why you’d want to date. She only accepted once out of curiosity, and her takeaway was that they’re boring. Always.

Before we start throwing around words like 'ableist', might I suggest that maybe the cause is either a lack of experience or that Brun may be some variety of asexual as opposed to it being that she's on the autism spectrum?

EDIT: Removing extraneous 'there' and clearing out weasel-words.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2020, 16:59 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 23 Apr 2020, 14:45 »

Why do you think that Clinton’s heterosexuality so far doesn’t bear, and yet Brun's lack of interest in relationships so far does? Why couldn't she have the same kind of epiphany?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #64 on: 23 Apr 2020, 15:27 »

Wasn't there a strip where Clinton was talking about the possibility of not being straight, and he basically said something like "I think I am but I'm open to new data contradicting that"?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 23 Apr 2020, 16:30 »

Needs to go in the wiki if so.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #66 on: 23 Apr 2020, 17:06 »

SIDEBAR: I've got new info in regards to this week's poll:

It seems a rather sizable chunk of the soundtrack was added by Gareth Coker with his compositions for the various mythology mash-up packs. Nearly doubling it with roughly five-hours-and-forty-five-minutes.
a real-ass gaddam sword

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #67 on: 23 Apr 2020, 18:39 »

weird to have *everyone* have a crush on the character who was introduced by having her point a shotgun at Clinton for no reason but go off I guess

(redacted to a harpoon)
oh god

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #68 on: 23 Apr 2020, 18:48 »

Faye and Bubbles giving romantic advice makes me lol.

Is BUbbles wearing one of Faye's shirts, too?  :-D

thErgonomic

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #69 on: 23 Apr 2020, 18:55 »

This gonna turn into a love square.

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 23 Apr 2020, 20:06 »

This gonna turn into a love square.
Could do.
Though with Jones, it has the potential for a love pentagon. Or a love square "with one rather ambitious point".

Relax, the link is for a specific timestamp in the youtube video for the particular reference. Incidentally, the latest episode went up today.
EDIT: Also, the episode linked has a great acapella cover of Wayfaring Stranger and is basically where the plot starts.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #71 on: 23 Apr 2020, 20:22 »

For the last time, it's not a date unless it's clear it's a date.
I just want to second this. And clear to both/all people on the date! Just in case that needed clarifying.

One time someone asked me on a "second date" when I wasn't aware we had had a first one. And I can see that being fun for comedic effect, but my real experience of it was moreso discomfort.

If the people involved both/all want to retroactively label something a date, I think that would be fine. But if Brun doesn't consider it a date, that's really more relevant than if Faye and Bubbles do.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #72 on: 23 Apr 2020, 20:23 »

Wasn't there a strip where Clinton was talking about the possibility of not being straight, and he basically said something like "I think I am but I'm open to new data contradicting that"?
Yep, https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3710

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2020, 21:42 »

Um, yes. I remember storylines that weren't solely about everybody hooking up with everybody else.

Roko's dysphoria? Bubbles' memories? Hannelore's relationship with her mother and father? Claire's exams and future career? Marten figuring out his life's goals? Dora's trust issues? Remember those? Should I go on?

Faye’s alcoholism and alcohol poisoning,and how she dealt with that.  May’s problems with her chassis being substandard and Roko trying to get her a better one. Sam working at Union Robotics, and any storyline with Sam. Fay and Bubs starting Union Robotics before they became involved romantically.  Any strip with Melon. Millie’s new butt. Claire and her mom getting high, and the dog that appeared or Claire’s mom found. Beeps and Roko’s evolving working relationship.

thErgonomic

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 23 Apr 2020, 21:57 »

That sound is just off somehow.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #75 on: 23 Apr 2020, 21:59 »

I removed a couple comments because I misunderstood your comment to mean that Brun couldn’t have a relationship because she’s autistic and that autistic people don’t understand why anyone would want relationships. When you were just talking about Brun and how her autism affects her.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 23 Apr 2020, 22:03 »

It occurred to me that when Brun was describing what she liked about clocks, much of that precision engineering also applies to Millie...  And they did hit it off pretty well, the opposite of Brun's "dates are boring". 

Still, if it's going to go anywhere at all, it's going to be at a pace that makes every other relationship in the comic to date seem brisk...

Even a friendship with another woman where she felt like an equal instead of someone to be taken care of would probably be invaluable to Brun.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #77 on: 23 Apr 2020, 23:21 »

In which Faye and Bubbles assure Millifeulle that their romantic history is in no way an example to aspire to follow. Even if you ignore the climax with the criminal mastermind and the god-tier AI. No, Faye put it best in panel 3: Just focus on being Brun's friend. If there is going to be anything else, it will happen in its own time.

Is Bubbles wearing one of Faye's shirts, too?  :-D

In the grand tradition of significant others throughout history, Bubbles 'borrowed' the Angry Bear t-shirt and never gave it back. It is now so stretched that it will never fit Faye again but Faye kind of doesn't care. She kind of likes it where it is!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #78 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:32 »

Those are all valid, of course, but except for Roko's dysphoria they are also storylines from pretty far back in the comic.
I have to admit that to me the storylines lately seem to be, say, meandering a little? And it does seem to be quite a bit about love interests (although that was always a big part of the comic anyway).

However, besides the fact that I don't mind it anyway, the fact that Brun is central to both the arc with Elliott and Clinton, and now with Millefeuille, makes me think Jeph has a specific longer arc surrounding Brun in mind related to all of this.

LorneReams

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #79 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:54 »

I'm starting to feel bad for Clinton. Is he going to be the perpetual missed connection guy?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #80 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:28 »

Welcome, new person!

I hope not, but he's got a pattern going.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #81 on: 24 Apr 2020, 13:48 »

Yep, https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3710
About a 0.2 on the Kinsey scale, like me... Never had even a little sexual attraction to any man, but not ruling the possibility out entirely.

(When I mentioned my 0.2 self-rating to a friend, she asked "meaning, if it's in the dark and nobody will ever know...?"  :laugh: )
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #82 on: 24 Apr 2020, 14:06 »

I'm pretty low on the Kinsey scale, myself, and although there have been men that I have found attractive, considering that I am firmly heterormantic, and not really into the casual thing, the whole exercise is pretty much academic.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #83 on: 24 Apr 2020, 15:53 »

Those are all valid, of course, but except for Roko's dysphoria they are also storylines from pretty far back in the comic.
I have to admit that to me the storylines lately seem to be, say, meandering a little? And it does seem to be quite a bit about love interests (although that was always a big part of the comic anyway).

However, besides the fact that I don't mind it anyway, the fact that Brun is central to both the arc with Elliott and Clinton, and now with Millefeuille, makes me think Jeph has a specific longer arc surrounding Brun in mind related to all of this.
Wait, how long ago IRL did Hanners get back from her soulsearching world tour after confronting her mom?

EDIT: incomplete thought, need sleep
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 24 Apr 2020, 17:37 »

Yes, and although SeattleCrochetWoman did a good job of recapping some more recent storylines, that is precisely my point. Not only are they from pretty far back, almost all of them remain stubbornly unresolved. Almost as though Jeph simply doesn't know where to take them. Of the ones I mentioned, only the Bubbles' memories story was resolved. And I felt that even that resolution was abrupt and unsatisfying, as some of you would be aware.

Faye’s alcoholism and alcohol poisoning,and how she dealt with that.  May’s problems with her chassis being substandard and Roko trying to get her a better one. Sam working at Union Robotics, and any storyline with Sam. Fay and Bubs starting Union Robotics before they became involved romantically.  Any strip with Melon. Millie’s new butt. Claire and her mom getting high, and the dog that appeared or Claire’s mom found. Beeps and Roko’s evolving working relationship.

The alcoholism one is kind of implicitly resolved, probably as much as it can be anyway (that can never be 100% resolved). The ones in involving Claire's Mum don't really need resolving (similarly the butt and Melon stories). Every other storyline mentioned here is still in the air.

The Faye+Bubbles storylines was the last time we really had a story with a number of interesting threads beside just "will they or won't they". And while there's nothing wrong with the current stories, it would be nice if there was a little more meat on the bones.

Is it too much to ask for us to revisit one of these unresolved storylines? Literally any of them? And not just "let's remind the viewer that this storyline still exists" like we periodically have with Marten's hopelessly undecided life goals. Actually progress them.

Because if the shippers are the only audience Jeph cares about now, just tell it to me straight so I can read something else.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up