THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

You're caught in what appears to be a compromising position, what do you say?

"This isn't what it looks like."
"I can explain."
"I know what this looks like, but/and..."
"Now before you start judging..."
"There's a perfectly reasonable explanation..."
"Now, just hear me out."
"Please don't tell [person x]."
"Well this is embarrassing."
"You've seen me doing worse."
"Yeah, this is exactly what it looks like."
[awkward silence]
other
purple monkey dishwasher

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4256-460 (May 4th - 8th, 2020)  (Read 11747 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT 4256-460 (May 4th - 8th, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 07 May 2020, 14:31 »

Meanwhile the staff at A2Z Toys is wondering why their entire stock of theremins sold out in one day.
Sure it wasn't Theramins-R-Us?  They are a nationwide chain, with stores in every large city.
Not sure if this is a joke, is that a Canadian chain?

Tangentially related question; would poutine work en lieu of one's hands?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #51 on: 07 May 2020, 18:34 »

Aww, Bubbles. :D

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 07 May 2020, 18:44 »

Meanwhile the staff at A2Z Toys is wondering why their entire stock of theremins sold out in one day.
Sure it wasn't Theramins-R-Us?  They are a nationwide chain, with stores in every large city.
Not sure if this is a joke, is that a Canadian chain?

It is since the American locations were all shuttered a couple of years ago.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #53 on: 07 May 2020, 19:48 »

I just recently fell back down the SCP Foundation rabbit hole, and i can easily see one of the entries being:
"SCP-5137 is the designation given to a phenomenon where, during [REDACTED], everyone purchased a theremin kit at the exact same time."
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 07 May 2020, 19:51 »

Faye and Marten often feel weirdly codependent, especially for having known each other, what, two years?  But this goes back into the triple digits, when they'd known each other a few weeks at most.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 07 May 2020, 19:52 »

At this point I'm assuming it's some sort of subliminal advertising. Perhaps a popular TV show has messages designed to brainwash you into buying Theramins as gifts.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 07 May 2020, 20:25 »

Claire just gives off theremin vibes. If you knew Claire in real life and then saw a theremin, it'd click instantly.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 07 May 2020, 20:42 »

It's probably for the best that no more Theremins appear. Once you reach Five you need to just slip on the one ring and find a nice rock to sit out the conflict.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #58 on: 08 May 2020, 00:02 »

I don't know. Do you think that Jeph could lay on the foreshadowing a major change in the cast any more plainly? Maybe have a conversation between Marten, Faye and Dora at a bus station after the party? :wink:

Okay, so for some reason everyone is looking at Claire and thinking 'theremin'. I just want to know why, okay?

I just recently fell back down the SCP Foundation rabbit hole, and i can easily see one of the entries being:
"SCP-5137 is the designation given to a phenomenon where, during [REDACTED], everyone purchased a theremin kit at the exact same time."

SCP-5137/1 being the designation of the theremin kits themselves and SCP-5137/2-1 through -3 being the purchasers. All of whom are under Foundation observation for possible future anomalous activity. The problem is that almost everything about the town of [REDACTED] is anomalous (see SCP-5072, 'Fairy Girl', SCP-5101, the 'Spy Satellite Social Network'; SCP-5022, 'Vespavenger' and SCP-5001, 'The Synthetics' Stepsister' and SCP-5133, 'Invisiemu'). Indeed, the O6 Committee is currently debating whether the town of [REDACTED] should e considered a distinct anomaly in its own right.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2020, 02:35 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 08 May 2020, 03:31 »

There's a way out? Does it imply class C amnestics?

I don't know. Do you think that Jeph could lay on the foreshadowing a major change in the cast any more plainly? Maybe have a conversation between Marten, Faye and Dora at a bus station after the party? :wink:

Okay, so for some reason everyone is looking at Claire and thinking 'theremin'. I just want to know why, okay?

Especially since Faye must have been thinking of it before the party - but not long enough before to order in time.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 08 May 2020, 07:46 »

I don't know. Do you think that Jeph could lay on the foreshadowing a major change in the cast any more plainly?
Seems unlikely.

Jeph's not going to remove Marten. While the strip may no longer orbit around him, it would mean removing Pintsize, and Pintsize is Jeph's outlet for certain types of jokes that he really, really enjoys.

Claire is possible, but highly unlikely. Too many connections to other characters, including Marten. It would also destroy his example of a trans / hetero relationship working out just fine. I'm pretty sure he's sensitive to that.

Any other character would be completely arbitrary and unrelated to the specifics of the concern Faye voiced.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #61 on: 08 May 2020, 09:34 »

..., it would mean removing Pintsize, and Pintsize is Jeph's outlet for certain types of jokes that he really, really enjoys.
Marten could give Pintsize to Clinton, since Marten doesn't really *need* Pintsize anymore.  That sets up a reunion when Marten and Claire get married and Pintsize has to prank the wedding...  <evil chuckle>
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #62 on: 08 May 2020, 10:59 »

I don't know. Do you think that Jeph could lay on the foreshadowing a major change in the cast any more plainly?
Seems unlikely.

Jeph's not going to remove Marten. While the strip may no longer orbit around him, it would mean removing Pintsize, and Pintsize is Jeph's outlet for certain types of jokes that he really, really enjoys.

Claire is possible, but highly unlikely. Too many connections to other characters, including Marten. It would also destroy his example of a trans / hetero relationship working out just fine. I'm pretty sure he's sensitive to that.

Any other character would be completely arbitrary and unrelated to the specifics of the concern Faye voiced.

Honestly, the major cast change started over a thousand strips ago, and we might be near the end of it.

I could see Claire getting a job somewhere like Connecticut or New Hampshire - far enough away to shake things up but not so far away as to remove Claire/Marten/Pintsize from the strip completely.

And Clinton's prior experience with Pintsize has not been the best.  Maybe Faye and Bubbles keep him, especially if he can sell enough processor time to help significantly with the rent.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #63 on: 08 May 2020, 11:50 »

Surprise turn: Faye and Bubbles open up a new branch of UR in Boston.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 08 May 2020, 12:49 »

For some reason I really like seeing Bubbles in that T-shirt.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #65 on: 08 May 2020, 15:03 »

Just re-read the page with that in the background.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #66 on: 08 May 2020, 15:13 »

I basically came in to post exactly this.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #67 on: 08 May 2020, 16:24 »

It's entirely possible we'll be saying goodbye to them, but I think there have already been one or two strips that have foreshadowed a change at least as explicitly as this one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #68 on: 09 May 2020, 01:01 »

Last time someone said that, the question was raised of how she even fits into it!  But it may not be the actual same one as Faye's original, I suppose.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #69 on: 09 May 2020, 06:02 »

Space-aged fabrics. *shrug*

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #70 on: 09 May 2020, 06:27 »

Last time someone said that, the question was raised of how she even fits into it!  But it may not be the actual same one as Faye's original, I suppose.

I think it's the same t-shirt and that time (and Bubbles' huge body frame) has stretched it out... a lot.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #71 on: 09 May 2020, 09:52 »

This comment will probably stir things up, but my first impression of this exchange was, yes, a foreshadowing - but I was thinking more fundamentally than just a cast change - as in, maybe Jeph is considering wrapping up QC?

Consider all of the original characters:
Faye: Established, comfortable relationship with Bubbles,
Dora: Impending marriage to Tai,
Marten: Steady relationship with Claire and possibly moving away with her,
Steve: Long-term relationship with Cossette,
Raven: Essentially already gone...

So, of the originals, that leaves only Pintsize...
I don't know - he will probably go with Claire and Marten (after all, he is Marten's AI Companion) - but alternatively, I can just see him, going off on a wild road-trip with May, driving into the sunset, "The Wanderer" blaring from the stereo...  :-D

(Yes, I know that leaves all of the newer characters still living their lives with ongoing issues - but hey, that's life, isn't it?)
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #72 on: 09 May 2020, 13:05 »

On the basis of that rationale, he ought to have wrapped a long time ago.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #73 on: 10 May 2020, 01:45 »

On the basis of that rationale, he ought to have wrapped a long time ago.
He could do a spin-off series.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #74 on: 10 May 2020, 04:39 »

QC is how Jeph makes his living, so the odds of him bringing it to an end are pretty low.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #75 on: 10 May 2020, 08:14 »

Faye and Bubbles both bring a lot of baggage to their relationship. They will have to work some things out that could create comic strips to cover them, and there's a foreshadowed story line about how Faye's mother reacts. I think that story line has more tales to tell.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up