THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Strips  (Read 27799 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: Favourite Strips
« Reply #50 on: 08 Aug 2020, 05:27 »

I guess it's time to throw my hat in here, too then.

Brun's introduction arc. From the get-go.[1]
[I've worked retail and food service. I'm not someone who's meant to.]

There's also this one[2] where Jeph explains a bit of the post-Singularity A.I. substrate and shows us what it looks like, and sets up Yay, as well as being a key part of the Fighting Ring/Lost Memories arc. My other favorites from this very bingeable arc[3] are The Punch, ,[url=https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3370]The Dangling Blade], [url=https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3395]Please Be Safe. So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, and of course Crows Com Home. Oh, and Hello Again.
And here are some of my favorite little snippets from the arc; "I thought I heard a raccoon", 'burn the witch', "Plan C", and "OrbitalRailgun justice", "Please sit down." "That's probably bad." "Whether through malice or incompetence" "No. But I will go on." "I choose to have faith." "[A]n eternity in our care."
Eels is another good one
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #51 on: 13 Aug 2020, 14:43 »

I found this one and looked at the discussion for that week. Not one person made the "bar exam" pun. I'm disappointed.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #52 on: 14 Aug 2020, 05:24 »

The pun is there, but how to get a joke over the line with it is not immediately obvious. But now's your chance!  :claireface:

Okaaaay.... "bar exam" pun.... aaaaand.... go.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #53 on: 14 Aug 2020, 05:41 »

Bar exam is when you are trying to figure out if its a Snickers, Mars, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers or worse yet an Oh Henry, Baby Ruth, or [reference to caddy shack]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 14 Aug 2020, 07:30 »

The bar exam is when they put a candidate bartender behind the bar, have them properly pour every drink the bar offers, and then blindfold them, to identify each and everyone by taste. If they pass satisfactorily there, the final part is crucial: the candidate has to leave the bar, to join the hiring party at a table. If they manage in an upright position, without clambering over the bar, or crawling underneath it, they have passed the bar, and can be considered for hiring. Certain establishments further require a demonstration of proficiency with attributes crucial to the bar's theme. This may be organised as a competitive event.

That's how I imagine this could have gone down, with Brun.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2020, 07:49 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #55 on: 14 Aug 2020, 12:37 »

My chronic inability to know when I'm being messed with springs up once again.

A bar exam is a test taken by a wannabe lawyer to validate them to practice law. Maybe you all know that and are just putting me on? Better safe than sorry, though.

Admittedly, it's not a fantastic pun. It just immediately sprang to mind when I saw that strip.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #56 on: 14 Aug 2020, 13:29 »

The bar exam, passing the bar, as in being allowed to represent clients in a court of law, sure, we know.

It was set up, we ran with it, is all. Nothing specifically aimed at you, just having fun and messing about.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #57 on: 15 Aug 2020, 01:44 »

My chronic inability to know when I'm being messed with springs up once again.

The bar exam, passing the bar, as in being allowed to represent clients in a court of law, sure, we know.

It was set up, we ran with it, is all. Nothing specifically aimed at you, just having fun and messing about.

Yes, what Cornelius said. I just put the post out there hoping that someone else would come up with some clever jokes using the "bar exam" pun. I figured there was a good chance someone would deliver. :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #58 on: 24 Aug 2020, 21:31 »

I'm very late on this, but...

Creepy fetishes aside, anyone recall the strip in which Pintsize predicts the distant future?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2020, 04:08 »

I was flicking through the archive (as you do), and remembered just how much I LOVE this one.

What is the situation?

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #60 on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:09 »

Colleagues of mine joke about opening a Döner shack should our company fail. I've been thinking about brewing my own beer, and QC just gave me ideas about naming, specifically 1465. And then there's that one Brun having a beer episode.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #61 on: 14 Sep 2020, 06:54 »

Yikes that first one has such very different translations depending on just one S  :psyduck:
As for the second one ...... would go over well with Goths, Forsaken, Necromancers and the corporeal undead with any sense of taste. :evil:

As for bakeries one that sicks in my mind is a little around the corner breakfastNook-bakery in downtown Ottawa called "House of the Rising Bun" ... so many bad puns. :facepalm:

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #62 on: 15 Sep 2020, 06:20 »

There is a house in Ottawa
they call the rising bun,
and it's been the ruin of many an AI,
and God, I know, I'm one

Sorry, these things just happen. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

tbodt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 15 Sep 2020, 18:49 »

Yikes that first one has such very different translations depending on just one S  :psyduck:

What are the different translations?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2020, 20:04 »

As for the second one ...... would go over well with Goths, Forsaken, Necromancers and the corporeal undead with any sense of taste. :evil:

That does sound like my kind of beer.  I wouldn't mind a full keg of the stuff.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:43 »

We have a thread trying to find out how to make it. Maybe we should give it a try?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2020, 07:26 »

One is a reference to the act of welding spheres
The other refers to perspiration from male gonads
(click to show/hide)
This hearkens back to a review of early Australian table wines  ....
A prize winning 'Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga', which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

cybersmurf

« Reply #67 on: 16 Sep 2020, 09:32 »

One is a reference to the act of welding spheres
The other refers to perspiration from male gonads
This hearkens back to a review of early Australian table wines  ....
A prize winning 'Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga', which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

Sorry to disappoint, but technically, it's both written with a 'ß'.

Given the brewery is called "Mistake Brewery", I do believe JJ wanted to go for the "Mistake Brewery Ball Sweat" variant, although the "Kugel" is not that kind of ball (we call them eggs).

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #68 on: 16 Sep 2020, 09:52 »

See!
This is what happens when you don't practice a second language for extended periods of time.
My other excuse is that the standard character set doesn't do the German sharp s so people and some translation programs use a double s

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #69 on: 16 Sep 2020, 16:04 »

My other excuse is that the standard character set doesn't do the German sharp s so people and some translation programs use a double s

Um, the "standard" character set is Unicode which certainly includes ß!  As does the old Windows CP-1252 character set and the ANSI Latin-1 set long standard for browsers.  Only the prehistoric 7-bit [US] ASCII set doesn't...  The problem really is not whether the character is there, but knowing how to type it!

I use a Windows add-on called WizKey which provides readily remembered key sequences for a large number of characters (and you can add custom ones) - using that I can either type "ctrl-; s" for ß, or hit the control key twice to bring up a menu with all the options on it:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #70 on: 17 Sep 2020, 05:40 »

See!
This is what happens when you don't practice a second language for extended periods of time.
Well, for the record, for some reason according to current german orthography rules, as defined by the Duden staff, the "ß" is discontinued and you're supposed to write "ss" instead all the time now.

Which is sometimes a big problem because for example german "Masse" means "mass" while "Maße" means "measurements". And yes both words are spelled slightly differently.

The umlauts "ÄÖÜäöü" are still in full use though.

Frankly I think the Duden staff is a bit nuts for all these new rules they introduced for no good reason. I mostly just ignore them. And the german keyboard hasnt been changed and still offers "ß" as a direct key just fine.
Carpe Diem

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #71 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:05 »

I use a Windows add-on called WizKey which provides readily remembered key sequences for a large number of characters (and you can add custom ones) - using that I can either type "ctrl-; s" for ß, or hit the control key twice to bring up a menu with all the options on it:

I'm surprised that you still need an addon for that.  I remember having to hold alt and then type in some number for the accented letters that we had in my Spanish class, and was so relieved when I got my first Mac, and most of the "special" characters were far more intuitive.  The compose key on Linux makes even more sense.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #72 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:50 »

Agreed.  Back in the 1980s, the Norwegian computer company Norsk Data had a word processor (NOTIS-WP) and terminals (a couple of Tandberg models) with a dedicated "supershift" key which enabled the composition of all European diacritics.  WizKey provides the closest to that experience that I have found on Windows - I mean "ctrl-: a" for ä or "ctrl-- o" for ō is hardly arduous.  But WizKey also gives easy access to the whole of Unicode - it's handy for me sometimes to be able to insert Katakana characters pretty simply as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 17 Sep 2020, 15:14 »

I'm surprised that you still need an addon for that.  I remember having to hold alt and then type in some number for the accented letters that we had in my Spanish class, and was so relieved when I got my first Mac, and most of the "special" characters were far more intuitive.  The compose key on Linux makes even more sense.

The addon looks useful, but you don't need it. Install an international keyboard and type right-alt-s.

ß <-- produced on windows 10 by following the steps above.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #74 on: 17 Sep 2020, 15:20 »

Aah.  Interesting.  I haven't really used Windows since the G4 came out, so I'm not very familiar with the modern state of things.

cybersmurf

« Reply #75 on: 17 Sep 2020, 16:12 »

See!

Yes, unfortunately, you're right. Any language you don't use degrades within two years to "I can't create a straight sentence anymore", and within five "I only understand half what they're saying".

Technically, the ß is correctly substituted by 'sz', not 'ss'.

See!
Well, for the record, for some reason according to current german orthography rules, as defined by the Duden staff, the "ß" is discontinued and you're supposed to write "ss" instead all the time now.

Which is sometimes a big problem because for example german "Masse" means "mass" while "Maße" means "measurements". And yes both words are spelled slightly differently.

Apparently the Germans are dismantling their own language. Masse amd Maße are pronounced differently, Masse has a short a (and ss), while Maße has a longer a. 'ss' and 'ß' were meant to distinguish this spoken difference, at least according to the spelling reform in the early 2000s.

For the record: my native language is German, but the Germans would probably disagree. Austrian German uses some differing vocabulary, but the worst thing - especially for learners - we tend to put stress more towards the end of the word instead of the beginning, and by that change in rhythm and melody, coupled with "non-standard vocabulary" could already throw you off easily, if we didn't have our own dialects/accents.

Anyways, I think we derailed the topic of this thread enough. Either we make a new post for all of this, or you send me a DM.

It would be funny though (at least to me), if we got some relative of Faye, but stuck in perms-redneck language...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #76 on: 18 Sep 2020, 01:51 »

But how many characters are that simple?  Also, what you can do varies according to national keyboard choice.  On my UK keyboard, AltGr s does not produce ß, but AltGr and a vowel generates an acute accent á é í ó ú; however, that doesn't work on a US keyboard.  And so on.  Having a uniform way to type all European diacritic characters is good - and I can't conceive why it hasn't been in Windows for the past 25 years!

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #77 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:50 »

Also, what you can do varies according to national keyboard choice.
I'm pretty sure that's the design goal of national keyboards.
Having a uniform way to type all European diacritic characters is good - and I can't conceive why it hasn't been in Windows for the past 25 years!
The alt codes have been...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:27 »

But how many characters are that simple?  Also, what you can do varies according to national keyboard choice.  On my UK keyboard, AltGr s does not produce ß, but AltGr and a vowel generates an acute accent á é í ó ú; however, that doesn't work on a US keyboard.  And so on.  Having a uniform way to type all European diacritic characters is good - and I can't conceive why it hasn't been in Windows for the past 25 years!

Just as a reminder, I did say that the addon looks useful. I was merely responding to the assertion that you could not do it in Windows at all.

And, yes, obviously it varies based on keyboard choice, which is why my instructions included a specific keyboard installation. While I was studying French, I had a French keyboard installed which I would switch to in order to insert accented characters.

Edit: Here you go:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/306560/how-to-use-the-united-states-international-keyboard-layout-in-windows
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2020, 03:35 by Tova »

Starla!!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:44 »

A relatively recent one...http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4187

Love the pained grimaces throughout, and the one-eyed sidewise glances. Faye's line in the last panel just cracks me up every time I read it.  :-D
Life is a 100% fatal sexually transmitted disease.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 14 Oct 2020, 13:25 »

Good pick -- welcome!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #81 on: 14 Oct 2020, 13:42 »

A relatively recent one...http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4187

Love the pained grimaces throughout, and the one-eyed sidewise glances. Faye's line in the last panel just cracks me up every time I read it.  :-D
Another good Faye/Claire interaction.

Avoiding double posting: This one cracks me up every time.

Triple post: Perfect timing (I love the follow-up as well).
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2020, 22:24 by Gnabberwocky »

Dolphin Jack

• Not quite a lurker
  • I wish the woud
« Reply #82 on: 08 Nov 2020, 22:39 »

Probly obvius I do liking the namsake. and the caracter!
I do liking "filer" or "geust" strips. Also "story resting" eg bembo or the angery bird, but not when boreing ie green backround.

Gyrre

« Reply #83 on: 09 Nov 2020, 08:03 »

Probly obvius I do liking the namsake. and the caracter!
I do liking "filer" or "geust" strips. Also "story resting" eg bembo or the angery bird, but not when boreing ie green backround.

And I just read through the entirety of Brun's intro arc.

BTW, seems I need to correct how I say her name in my brain. 'Broon' dropped diacritic confirmed.
a real-ass gaddam sword

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #84 on: 26 May 2021, 10:18 »

one of my favourites https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4050

It highlights Hannelore being more chill while featuring Winslow and Momo.  It manages to make the AIs both more relatable and less human.

Norphy

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #85 on: 30 May 2021, 08:22 »

Having just got a new job, this one:

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2530

I’m having to try very hard not to buy sparklers for when I hand my notice in.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2021, 12:45 »

Congratulations on the new job!
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2021, 14:12 »

Heh.  I never did sparklers, but I remember when I was interviewing at Earthlink, I told the interviewer that I had walked out of my previous job, along with about half the other employees, and I still got hired.

Gyrre

« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2021, 18:05 »

Having just got a new job, this one:

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2530

I’m having to try very hard not to buy sparklers for when I hand my notice in.

At this point, the only reason I'd bother giving a two weeks is for the sake of my shift coworkers in the lab. They may be used to being shorthanded[1], but that's still a lot of extra work.

[1]eternally moreso than day shift, thus invalidating that infuriating excuse when they decide tonstand around with their thumbs up their asses.
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #89 on: 10 Jun 2021, 21:52 »

Okay, now I have another favourite: https://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/4545.png

That expression of pure, unalloyed joy on Pintsize's face in the last panel...   :lol:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #90 on: 14 Sep 2021, 14:58 »

This one is going on my list: https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4612

It's just so random! :D
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

dutchrvl

« Reply #91 on: 07 Oct 2021, 11:28 »

This one still makes me laugh out loud, for some reason: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1291
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up