THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Coffee Shop Celebrations! What should the newest COD drink be named?

Screaming Hannelore Death Latte
- 6 (18.8%)
Unicorn Valley with Purple Monkeys Tea
- 6 (18.8%)
Killer Death Espresso (with extra espresso)
- 6 (18.8%)
Froo-froo Coffee Wash (caramel espresso with 2% milk - which is promptly poured over you)
- 4 (12.5%)
Mecha Mocha Mucho (Mocha in a Transformers sippy cup)
- 8 (25%)
Other
- 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: 27 May 2020, 09:32

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4266-70 (18-22 May 2020)  (Read 16701 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT strips 4266-70 (18-22 May 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 22 May 2020, 10:38 »

Easy Faye, be nice to yourself..nothing just talking to Bubbles about won't fix <3

Also remember she's not your first either eh?

Point of Order?
She IS Faye's first.
Her 1st AI relationship.
And (AFAIK) her 1st Female relationship.

Faye is 'suffering' from "She's my first .. I thought I was hers".
An irrational, but very human, reaction.
(Better... she is aware that it is irrational!)

She's not HER first relationship though,  and so far we don't know if she's irrationally upset about being Bubble's first relationship, or first organic human meat relationship.

But I am proud of Faye for realizing "Crap I'm being irrational" Old Faye woulda stormed off and threatened to punch Marten in the gut or something, Bubbles really IS good for her.

Here's the thing. Faye was in her mind, up until Bubbles, heterosexual. She had been in relationships with Angus and Sven, as well as a non-starter with Marten. None of those relationships were really healthy for her. Sven was just sex without boundries and when Sven acted like Sven and slept with Gina Riversmith, well, that broke Faye's heart a little. Angus wanted to make more of his life and go out on a limb to achieve his dreams, Faye didn't and if they had stayed together, well you would have had one person resenting the other. As for Marten? Well its Marten.

Bubbles enters her life and Faye finds herself growing into a healthier relationship with someone that she couldn't have seen herself with beforehand. But more than that, her relationship with Bubbles opens up a whole new life for her. So yes, Bubbles is her first relationship - her first relationship with another woman, her first relationship with an AI and her first somewhat healthy relationship.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #101 on: 22 May 2020, 12:16 »

So… any odds on Faye trying to convince Yay to help Bubbles try to restore the lost memories?
Maybe a synthetic reconstruction built from official records and CW’s memories of working on Bubbles or something like that…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TheEvilDog

« Reply #102 on: 22 May 2020, 12:26 »

So… any odds on Faye trying to convince Yay to help Bubbles try to restore the lost memories?
Maybe a synthetic reconstruction built from official records and CW’s memories of working on Bubbles or something like that…

From what Spooky has previously said, there's nothing to restore, its all gone. And even if they could, really, would Bubbles want those memories restored? The person she is now is different to the person she was before.

I imagine what is more likely is Faye is going to ask Spooky to use their abilities to find out about Bubbles' military history. Which is going to open a whole can of worms.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #103 on: 22 May 2020, 12:56 »

It just occurred to me, Bubbles is ex military., is it possible her missing memory is related to military security concerns, required to be removed before she can leave the service, rather than something traumatic?

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #104 on: 22 May 2020, 13:44 »

It was rather explicit that Bubbles sought out Corpsewitch on her own, to lock away painful memories. By that time she had already left the armed forces. Deletion was pure ineptitude, of not malevolence on CW's part.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT strips 4266-70 (18-22 May 2020)
« Reply #105 on: 22 May 2020, 14:44 »

It may be a little more complicated than simple incompetence on CW’s part. Possibly the military installed a failsafe that would delete classified info from Bubnles’ memories if anyone ever tried to tamper with them. And you know that CW wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation to grab anything she could from Bubbles’ mind.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #106 on: 22 May 2020, 17:33 »

The Vegas sports books aren't open, but I suspect they'd probably say "No Line" on that because it's pretty much given that it'll at least be mentioned.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #107 on: 22 May 2020, 17:51 »

But there's also the fact that Spooky doesn't like to impinge on matters of the mind without an AI's express permission. That's the line they won't cross. More than likely, they'll tell Faye to talk to Bubbles.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #108 on: 23 May 2020, 03:14 »

There's always the possibility that Yay is gonna go some flavor of the memory restoration in Schlock Mercenary. That is, "We can't restore your memories, but we can spare a few petaflops to create a simulation of the missing memories from a third-person perspective; it will be as if you watched a movie of the missing parts. Consider it an apology for our previous failure."
Just going through life.

Aviana

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #109 on: 23 May 2020, 07:32 »

Created an account just to add to the discussion I completely understand why Faye thought she and Bubbles were each other’s first (for this specific relationship configuration) given this comic: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3753

I also think it’s completely fair that she needs to take a bit to resettle her emotions accordingly, and while it’s not perfect that she was snippy at Bubbles expressing concern, she was also in the middle of leaving because she knew her emotions weren’t in a perfect place. As long as she apologizes later it’s fine.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #110 on: 23 May 2020, 08:18 »

I think Faye is being really selfish here. Bubbles didn’t say she was or was not her first human lover. Instead, Bubbles pointed out that because of her damaged memories she can’t really know for sure. That’s not a “you aren’t my first” it’s a “I CANT know,” which imo is an oblique reminder that the reason Bubbles has been so present focused with Faye is because big parts of her traumatic past are locked away from her. Fate is taking that reminder of trauma as a “you aren’t special” which is just so... ugh, so Faye.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 23 May 2020, 08:28 »

Welcome, new person!

We've been taking for granted that there isn't a backup because Corpse Witch said so.

Why would Corpse Witch throw away material like that? Bungling is conceivable. It takes a determined focused effort to get rid of something on a computer, though. A forensic exam of Corpse Witch's cloud accounts and belongings might be interesting.

Also, what if she lied? What if there was something in Bubbles's memories that she didn't want to come out even with the alternative being an eternity of torture?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #112 on: 23 May 2020, 10:34 »

I think Faye is being really selfish here. Bubbles didn’t say she was or was not her first human lover. Instead, Bubbles pointed out that because of her damaged memories she can’t really know for sure. That’s not a “you aren’t my first” it’s a “I CANT know,” which imo is an oblique reminder that the reason Bubbles has been so present focused with Faye is because big parts of her traumatic past are locked away from her. Fate is taking that reminder of trauma as a “you aren’t special” which is just so... ugh, so Faye.

I don't think Faye is being selfish here, but rather she's trying to process the fact that's a great deal of uncertainty in her relationship with Bubbles. But importantly, there's no case of closure about previous relationships.

Consider this, the one time I almost got engaged, it was to a woman who told me about her previous relationships. The last two had been quite abusive towards her, not physically, but one emotionally messed with her and the other left her in debt. But knowing what she had gone through allowed me to try my best for her and the relationship. While the relationship ended, it had been good for her to be in a healthy relationship. But imagine if she hadn't told me because she had forgot about them - how could have dealt with that unseen shadow of her past? What if I kept putting my foot in the wrong time and place? Or worse, what if one of her abusive exes came back into her life and I had no idea who this guy was?

Faye isn't angry that she isn't Bubbles' first, she's upset at the prospect of some spectre from Bubbles' past coming back into Bubs' life, she's afraid that she might lose Bubbles to another. More importantly, Faye is acknowledging she is acting in an irrational manner and removed herself from the situation before she made things worse.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #113 on: 23 May 2020, 12:16 »

Perhaps the best she could do on short notice but I wish for Bubbles's sake that Faye had handled it with more finesse.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #114 on: 23 May 2020, 20:24 »

We all react to our trauma and emotions in irrational ways. Humans are not rational agents, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise. This is not a moral failing.

Also, I am trying to imagine what a story where everyone involved made perfectly reasonable choices that were precisely ideal for the situation and holy shit does that sound boring, forced, unappealing, and completely unrelatable.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #115 on: 23 May 2020, 23:26 »

There would be a bunch of posts instead complaining that the strip was full of Mary Sues.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #116 on: 24 May 2020, 02:33 »

While that would provide an outlet for the drive to complalin about something/anything, that wouldn't satisfy the urge to stand in moral judgment of someone.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up