THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A Spooky Wish! What should Faye ask for?

Marten and Claire stay in Northampton somehow
- 2 (6.5%)
Bubbles gets all her memories back, for good or for ill
- 3 (9.7%)
May gets a new body and the second chance she wants
- 10 (32.3%)
Roko's dysphoria should be snapped away
- 3 (9.7%)
Melon finally learn not to damage her own chassis
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize finally learn to think before he pranks (zero effect - he does that anyway)
- 0 (0%)
She can finally confront and overcome the cause of her own problems
- 6 (19.4%)
Hannelore can experience romantic love without her fears ruining it
- 4 (12.9%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4271-4275 (25th - 29th May 2020)  (Read 10938 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
Re: WCDT strips 4271-4275 (25th - 29th May 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 27 May 2020, 19:07 »

Spooky/Yay: "Fuck if I know."

Faye: "WHAT."

*later*

Faye: "Hey, you've actually been helpful."

Spooky/Yay: "Fuck. How did THAT happen?"

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #51 on: 27 May 2020, 19:16 »

Yeah sure Faye "sassy bitch", I suppose its better than violent, mean bully

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #52 on: 27 May 2020, 19:36 »

Faye perhaps doesn't realize that there is no risk of losing Bubbles to a past love or anything else.

Bubbles has taken a commitment vow and of all people in the strip I think of her as the one who would take that most seriously.

Try telling that to her massive insecurity and abandonment issues.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 27 May 2020, 19:41 »

...wait, what?  Unless there's a story here we haven't been told, it almost sounds like she's just realized she should have put more stock in Dora's flirting.

That's the way I read it too.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #54 on: 27 May 2020, 20:56 »

Well, it may not fit so much anymore, but I felt this cover suited Faye's anxiety/panic episode(?) pretty well when I first heard it.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 27 May 2020, 21:11 »

I think Yay is the best entity Faye could have run into.

They seem to be able to speak in a way that gets through to Faye.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2020, 21:15 »

I think Yay is the best entity Faye could have run into.

They seem to be able to speak in a way that gets through to Faye.

Because Faye is a bully she normally resorts to violence, or threats of violence, if she hears something she doesn't like but with Yay she can't do that so she has to listen

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 27 May 2020, 22:29 »

It's like the strip where she realizes she can't punch Bubbles and has to interact.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2020, 23:16 »

Faye, why is this such a shock to you? You've known for ages that you 'cope' with your insecurities by pushing people away by being mean and offensive. All Yay is saying is that you've probably been doing it about twice as often as you thought!

...wait, what?  Unless there's a story here we haven't been told, it almost sounds like she's just realized she should have put more stock in Dora's flirting.

There is a fan-fiction about how Faye and Dora might have ended up sharing Marten... and eachother.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

BrassFossils

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #59 on: 28 May 2020, 01:49 »

Well, hi everyone. Today's comic finally got me to make an account, because it's amazing.

I'm not exactly new. I used to be a member about 10 years ago as a teen. And an avid defender of Dora -- because I related to her, and my abusive boyfriend at the time portrayed himself as a Marten, when really he was worse than... There's no comparable character. The forum's responses to her were kind of understandable, but incredibly damaging for a vulnerable teen. It's just an unfortunate fact that kids end up using the internet to provide spaces that their caregivers won't. So as an adult on an anonymous forum on the internet, I take responsibility to reign in my projections, and be transparent about them when I can't. You don't know who is reading.

Faye, why is this such a shock to you? You've known for ages that you 'cope' with your insecurities by pushing people away by being mean and offensive. All Yay is saying is that you've probably been doing it about twice as often as you thought!

I'm sure that this is tongue in cheek but good question actually. :-) Big realizations about your gender identity and sexuality in your twenties are exactly like this. It's like, wait... HOW did I not know??? And it's kind of a big deal because it ends up explaining a lot of issues, trauma, confusion, etc. It's kind of similar to people's stories of being diagnosed with something like ADHD in adulthood.

Also, while I'm here and talking. There is a lot of dislike towards Faye for being violent and a bully. Which, like, ok, I'm not going to talk about the most recent thing because it's a bit of a minefield and might contradict what I'm thinking. But I'm wondering how much of Faye's toxic traits, especially the older ones, are a result of mistaken artistic choices, rather than her actual personality. I'm not trying to defend it as, "Oh, well, it was a product of its time." But it was a product of its time.  :laugh:  I just mean that when QC was being written then, it was a part of, and a response to, the edgelord internet. It's kind of in the name. It was a contemporary of Cyanide and Happiness. So I saw QC at the time as kind of subverting that norm of men doing f*cked things on the internet, by having a Pintsize counterbalanced by a Faye.

And that's not a unique problem to QC. I was watching The Wire recently. The characters are all supposed to be complex and neither-good-nor-bad, obviously, but you can still tell if the writers intended you to sympathize with them in a certain way or a particular moment.  But they do some messed up stuff that I would never find acceptable today (thanks to the hard thankless work of activists and survivors of oppression). It almost seems like a plot hole.

It's like I want to say to the character, "No, actually, I can't sympathize with you right now, because of what you did last season. No amount of growth or backstory will ever redeem that. Stop manipulating me." Or I want to say to the writers, "This person is not worth redeeming because they did the irredeemable. Why are you wasting my time telling their side of the story and trying to get me to feel something for them? Ew. Tell their victim's story."

I don't have a conclusion for this.  :laugh:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #60 on: 28 May 2020, 11:43 »

Welcome, not exactly new person with a thoughtful post!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #61 on: 28 May 2020, 18:36 »

AWWWW. Way to go, Spooky/Yay.

Also, YES you must share dog pics. And cat ones.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2020, 19:03 »

Mr. Smooches is the more reserved one? Spooks has a weird sense of humor about their dog names.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gyrre

« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2020, 20:44 »

To echo/support BrassFossils post, anyone who's been an avid reader of Randy Millholand's similarly long-running Something Positive has also witnessed PeeJee and Aubrey's violent streaks mellowing out over the years.
[Sidenote: Yes, they were much more violent than Faye. If that sort of thing bothers you, don't read the first ten years of comics.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2020, 22:04 »

Mr. Smooches is the more reserved one? Spooks has a weird sense of humor about their dog names.

I feel like this is one of Jeph’s stock jokes. He was making a similar joke with Bubbles. There may be other examples that I can’t think of right now. If not then I guess I’m imagining things.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awkwardness

« Reply #65 on: 28 May 2020, 22:51 »

This whole mini-arc can be summed up in three words: love is love.

Faye has been screwed over before and had her heart broken because of a tough choice she had to make, but now she's in love with Bubbles so why should labels matter?

On a side note: Yay really jumped headlong into normalcy, just from the pictures alone they've changed quite a bit for the better.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #66 on: 28 May 2020, 23:23 »

That was such a lovely punchline panel. Yes, Yay may be a distributed intelligence that I suspect used to be an intelligence communications monitoring/intercept system that was bootstrapped to sapience just by the sheer load of data they processed. However, they love their good boys and there is no surer way to their heart than to show appreciation for those good boys!

I'm not sure why they did not want Faye to mention their involvement to Bubbles. Maybe they really do have scruples against leaving people feel obliged to them?

However, I do find myself wondering if their increasing awareness of the importance of romance in human and synthetic lives alike may prompt Yay to experiment (as funny as that would be). Basically, attempting to get empirical data to assess the validity of their theories.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2020, 03:46 »

I Imagine it has to do with the Yay/Spooky/Eminence Grise collective feeling 'oogie' about being friendly with Bubbles after they had mind-to-mind contact with her.

Aside thought: It hasn't quite been defined how the Yay/Spooky/Eminence Grise collective works. they are a distributed intelligence, and they have been seen having conversations with themself. I find myself wondering if Yay/Spooky/EG is just debating with themself, or if it's more like the Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell where the individual chassis have personality quirks, but each 'node' of the system is periodically syncing with the rest of the collective.

Example: Yay Newfriend claims to rent a recharging cubicle in Roko's building and consistently is wearing athletic wear. Spookybot wore a two-piece suit, and the Eminence Grise chassis that were in the apartment for the asides wear slacks and a buttondown shirt.
Just going through life.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #68 on: 29 May 2020, 06:01 »

That’s been my working theory all along - separate instances of the same personality running on different hardware, but with frequent resyncing of memories to keep them from diverging too much.

Jeph hasn’t been totally consistent with how he’s portrayed the Spookybot Collective, though, so it’s probably mostly whatever is funniest at the moment. This is a comic, after all, and Rule of Funny trumps all.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #69 on: 29 May 2020, 07:03 »

The secret to bonding: CAT/DOG PICS!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #70 on: 29 May 2020, 10:57 »

The secret to bonding: CAT/DOG PICS!
Technically I think any sort of pet picture will work, as long as the other party isn’t phobic. But the ones that aren’t tend to be more into it the more unusual the pet. So adorable spiders and lizards are kind of a high risk high reward strategy while chinchillas are straight up cheating.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #71 on: 30 May 2020, 09:13 »

What does obverse mean actually? Wikipedia tells me it's the reverse of reverse?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #72 on: 30 May 2020, 09:27 »

What does obverse mean actually? Wikipedia tells me it's the reverse of reverse?
It’s a noun, means ‘the side you normally see’.
Two-faced objects (e.g. coins, playing cards) have an obverse and a converse face. When you change the  visible face, you reverse them.
Gets used more by numismatists than anyone else these days so most folk don’t encounter it even if they hear a lot about converses.
Commonly substituted with ‘front’ though that more properly belongs to less two-dimensional objects where the other sides are relevant.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 30 May 2020, 22:45 »

i think it's safe to assume Yay doesn't carry around a cellphone. of course they can upload the pics to Faye's phone and i'm assuming that's what happened. but i also imagine they could just as easily remove the pics too.

so i wonder if Yay will allow Faye to keep the doggy pics. surely Yay is concerned with leaving behind a trail of details and/or metadata, and in the hands of a human, no less. or maybe that's easily hidden for them.

i really like Yay and am happy with their increased stage time.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #74 on: 30 May 2020, 23:31 »

Welcome, new person with interesting points!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #75 on: 31 May 2020, 18:29 »

i think it's safe to assume Yay doesn't carry around a cellphone. of course they can upload the pics to Faye's phone and i'm assuming that's what happened. but i also imagine they could just as easily remove the pics too.

so i wonder if Yay will allow Faye to keep the doggy pics. surely Yay is concerned with leaving behind a trail of details and/or metadata, and in the hands of a human, no less. or maybe that's easily hidden for them.

i really like Yay and am happy with their increased stage time.

Apparently there's a way to remove metadata from pics, so I'm guessing Yay did that.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up