THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ideas for new arcs; which to you like the most?

Roko's next moves to help May
- 5 (15.2%)
More on the Clinton-Elliott-Brun-Millifeulle quadrangle
- 4 (12.1%)
Claire gets a very weird job offer
- 4 (12.1%)
Faye's mother comes to town to meet 'my future new in-law' (awkwardness)
- 4 (12.1%)
A day in the life of Yay-yay Newfriend, the spookiest bot of them all
- 1 (3%)
We will rock you! The fighting ring is re-opening!
- 0 (0%)
Sven ends up trapped in a stuck elevator with May, Hannelore and Momo
- 3 (9.1%)
Marten goes to the music shop to learn how to fix guitars; things start getting weird (Ghosts? AI musical instruments?)
- 7 (21.2%)
Emily's other job - Dog-sitter extraordinare!
- 0 (0%)
Roko drags Milli, Beeps and Winslow to a synthetics nightclub; hijinks!
- 0 (0%)
Emily and Raven working together by telepresence on a faster-than-light starship drive
- 1 (3%)
An adventure with Tilly, Station, Dr John and Lt Porter on the ECI Space Station
- 0 (0%)
Actually, I've got a better idea... (Tell us!)
- 4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4276 to 4280 (1st to 5th June 2020)  (Read 14763 times)

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT strips 4276 to 4280 (1st to 5th June 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 05 Jun 2020, 15:06 »

The scene at the graveside looked like closure, but her problems persisted and got dangerously worse afterward.

You hit the nail there, his death actually triggered another issue that was resolved: her pushing people away because he hurt her by committing suicide. She accepted it, got help for that, and moved on. Her wanting him back was something that lingered but that was natural and something everyone has in regards to lost loved ones. The big issue, her alcoholism, was something else entirely and was addressed several times over the course of the strip but didn't become a huge issue until after her breakup with Angus. It doesn't need a trigger, it can be there without anyone knowing and only come to a head when something else that is completely unrelated triggers it.

For what it's worth, you can be an alcoholic and have no other issues. A large number of alcoholics are simply addicted to the stuff, there doesn't have to be any outside issues to it.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #101 on: 05 Jun 2020, 15:13 »

>those kids of yours

WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY

No-one ever seems to address the fact that the 2nd movie wasn't really about "Something’s gotta Be done About your kids!" at all...
But it was… they just got distracted in the middle a little… :P
No, the future kids trip was just a vehicle to get the future sports almanac into past Biff's hands.

If you really think about it, they never got the chance because they had to fix the issue that the almanac caused so the third movie not only didn't resolve it but completely ignored it as well...so we're left to assume that he either rebuilt the time machine or used the time train to fix the issue in the future by preventing it.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #102 on: 05 Jun 2020, 15:15 »

They did steal back the almanac and burn it, which reset the timeline, though there may have been other changes that weren't reverted, since Biff temporarily had the almanac. But, since he never got to place any bets, he never became Donald Trump.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #103 on: 05 Jun 2020, 15:26 »

I mean, thank goodness for that, right? ...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #104 on: 05 Jun 2020, 15:52 »

Well, yeah, that version of history sucked. Good thing they changed it.

They did change it, right?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #105 on: 05 Jun 2020, 16:32 »

Yes and no.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #106 on: 05 Jun 2020, 16:46 »

...Biff went on to run for president, didn't he.

Shit.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #107 on: 05 Jun 2020, 19:16 »

When we see Old Biff return to 2015, he seems to be in some distress as he's trying to get out of the DeLorean.  Fanon is that Lorraine eventually got up the (possibly liquid) courage to do him in sometime after 1985a, and he's in the process of fading out as that catches up with him.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #108 on: 05 Jun 2020, 23:35 »

Well, yeah, that version of history sucked. Good thing they changed it.

They did change it, right?

After the third movie created another altered timeline starting in the 1880s (hence the ravine being renamed 'Eastwood Gulch') everything is up for grabs. We're assuming 1985/3 is mostly the same as 1985/2 because we see the second version of Lorraine and George in the house but, beyond that, everything is up to the fans to determine in their own head-canons.

When we see Old Biff return to 2015, he seems to be in some distress as he's trying to get out of the DeLorean.  Fanon is that Lorraine eventually got up the (possibly liquid) courage to do him in sometime after 1985a, and he's in the process of fading out as that catches up with him.

My fanon is that losing the almanac and the fact that Marty is apparently in league with Space Aliens broke Biff-B (the one from the 'Biffhorriffic' 1985). He never regained his mojo and losing his 'lucky charm' (the almanac) destroyed his self-confidence. Increasingly paranoid that Lorraine and George's kids were plotting against him, he tried to kill them in a ludicrously ill-thought-out manner. His wealth and power enabled him to avoid prosecution and divorce Lorraine without having to make any maintenance provisions for her. However, he was now quickly burning through all the favours he was owed by his organised crime contacts and, having lost the almanac, he could no longer pay them off by winning them sporting bets. Having finally used up all his legendary luck, he started making too many dangerous enemies and getting too deeply in debt to 'creditors' who cared nothing for the law; ultimately he was killed, like his long-time idol and role model Ben 'Bugsy' Seigel, some time in the early 1990s.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #109 on: 06 Jun 2020, 00:53 »

>those kids of yours

WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY

No-one ever seems to address the fact that the 2nd movie wasn't really about "Something’s gotta Be done About your kids!" at all...
But it was… they just got distracted in the middle a little… :P
No, the future kids trip was just a vehicle to get the future sports almanac into past Biff's hands.

If you really think about it, they never got the chance because they had to fix the issue that the almanac caused so the third movie not only didn't resolve it but completely ignored it as well...so we're left to assume that he either rebuilt the time machine or used the time train to fix the issue in the future by preventing it.
That’s the thing though, they did fix the problem with the kids; Griff ended up in jail, so Marty jr. never went with him to do… whatever it was that go him in trouble… so Marlene has no reason to get into trouble for (failing to) bust him out. With Griff and his entire gang arrested, their influence on jr. vanishes like dust in the rain so he’s probably fine, even if he does end up halfway between Original George and Seamus in personality.
Of course all of this was erased and made irrelevant when Marty tricked Needles in the truck race after returning from 1885, meaning he never hurt his hand, could continue to play guitar and possibly pursue a career as a rock musician, but definitely not have his confidence shattered or have to deal with the disappointment and disapproval garnered from everyone he knows by wrecking his brand-new truck first time out, with his girlfriend on board too.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 06 Jun 2020, 14:22 »

I posted this before but the thing is that Faye has never really had a chance to properly mourn her father. She had a total mental breakdown after seeing him killing himself and was hospitalised after a suicide attempt not to long afterwards. She then lapsed into alcoholism and had been 'self-medicating' ever since. She's never been in the position where she was able to process everything that happened to her.

Now she's been dry for a while and is in a situation where she feels relatively safe (with Bubbles and with her social connection firm thanks to her friendships), I think that it is all going to start pouring out of her in various ways and in various times. Mostly unexpectedly, like today.

I disagree regarding her not getting the chance to properly mourn. She did, and she moved on in her own way years later. However, it's the accepting that things might have been different and maybe it's best that they not have changed that she's just now accepting. To me, those are completely different things and are not mutually exclusive. She missed him and wanted things to change as a lot of people want, but she realizes it's best to accept that she can't change the past and has a good present with her friends and Bubbles.

The scene at the graveside looked like closure, but her problems persisted and got dangerously worse afterward.

i think it is the difference between forgiving him for what he did and forgiving herself for how she has felt about it and dealt with it.

(sorry to interrupt the BttF lovefest, i guess that's the weekend)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 06 Jun 2020, 17:12 »

I think that could be a key insight. Also, if I haven't said it already, welcome!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up