THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your favorite piece of Back to the Future media?

Back to the Future (1st movie)
Back to the Future II
Back to the Future III
the cartoon
the comics
the games
the movie novelization(s)
the board game
Lego Dimensions level
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4281 to 4285 (8th to 12th June 2020)  (Read 21516 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 4281 to 4285 (8th to 12th June 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 09 Jun 2020, 11:24 »

I'm not sure a "mule on a Ferris wheel" would be a good mother but Faye has made enormous progress.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #51 on: 09 Jun 2020, 15:07 »

Bubbles has good manners and being a veteran going for her, and Mrs. Whitaker may be perceptive enough to see that Bubble's loyalty is what Faye needs to be secure enough to be happy.

Assuming that Mrs. W knows that Faye and Bubbles are in business together, she might end up saying what Dora didn't about mixing romance and business.

My guess is conflict right now with "all's well that ends well" on Friday or Monday.

Also, does every parent in the QC-verse have a picture of their kid(s) in front of the Washington Monument?  (At the very least, Jim also has one of Sam.)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #52 on: 09 Jun 2020, 18:52 »

"She's hiding in the kitchen"

:lol: :laugh:

Poor Bubbles.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #53 on: 09 Jun 2020, 18:55 »

Jeph doesn't like conflict. If you don't believe us, ask some of us who've been around for a while.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #54 on: 09 Jun 2020, 18:55 »

Also, does every parent in the QC-verse have a picture of their kid(s) in front of the Washington Monument?  (At the very least, Jim also has one of Sam.)

I'm wondering if that is the Washington Monument, because a closer look makes me think of Cape Canaveral, with the solid boosters just coming in over the top of Faye's head. Seems feasible that the family Whitaker might take a drive to watch one of the shuttle launches.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 09 Jun 2020, 19:31 »

Hopefully this doesn't go pear-shaped - "No grand-children" may be a big thing here  :-\
Huh? Bisexual and lesbian women can still have kids if they want to.
But I don't think humans and AI can.
Well Faye and Bubbles probably won't be having kids that have Bubbles's genetic material. (Though this is QC, so who knows what Hanners's dad might have created by now...) But even assuming that's impossible, that still doesn't mean that Mrs Whitaker won't have any grandchildren who are biologically related to herself.

Unless IVF with donated sperm is restricted to heterosexual couples with fertility problems in the QC universe...  which I'd find extremely unlikely because that's not in line with Jeph's views on creating an world where one of the main themes is inclusion. Of course, one of Jeph's other strong views was "no babies in my comic" so it's probably pretty unlikely that we'd see Faye having kids unless he's changed his mind on that point. But my point is that whether or not Mrs Whitaker gets grandchildren is dependent on whether or not Faye or Amanda want to have kids and not on the relationships they're in.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #56 on: 09 Jun 2020, 20:13 »

My bet for a baby would be Tai, with Sven as a donor.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 09 Jun 2020, 20:19 »

Jeph has said no babies, but he is free to change his mind, as he did about organic-synthetic sexual relationships.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 09 Jun 2020, 21:22 »

Hopefully this doesn't go pear-shaped - "No grand-children" may be a big thing here  :-\
Well Faye and Bubbles probably won't be having kids that have Bubbles's genetic material. (Though this is QC, so who knows what Hanners's dad might have created by now...) But even assuming that's impossible, that still doesn't mean that Mrs Whitaker won't have any grandchildren who are biologically related to herself.

Unless IVF with donated sperm is restricted to heterosexual couples with fertility problems in the QC universe...  which I'd find extremely unlikely because that's not in line with Jeph's views on creating an world where one of the main themes is inclusion. Of course, one of Jeph's other strong views was "no babies in my comic" so it's probably pretty unlikely that we'd see Faye having kids unless he's changed his mind on that point. But my point is that whether or not Mrs Whitaker gets grandchildren is dependent on whether or not Faye or Amanda want to have kids and not on the relationships they're in.
If they're going to go the baby route, why not have Bubbles and Faye create a little baby AI (with the help of some of their more computer minded friends no doubt) and raise it? That would be interesting to see, and since it's an AI it could "grow" into a full character fairly quickly rather than the living prop babies in other stuff always are.

Okay, I'll be honest, I just want a window into how an AI like Momo and an AI like Pintsize could end up both coming into existence.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #59 on: 09 Jun 2020, 23:06 »

Well, that's going a lot better than it could. I mean, Mrs W would be less than realistically-characterised if she wasn't a little surprised that Faye was in a relationship with an android! Still, no outright fury or denial.

I wonder if Bubbles is making herself a tea in an effort to make escaping to her happy place easier?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #60 on: 09 Jun 2020, 23:43 »

What about Telltale's Back to the Future games?
Already covered in the very first post along with the Super Famicom (SNES) Japan exclusive game.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jun 2020, 00:16 »

I have to wonder, "I wasn't expecting that" - emphasis hers - with one of her daughters long since out, was it just the AI?  Are there fewer AI outside the "Sprawl" and/or [I fucking refuse to call it "the"] I-5?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jun 2020, 00:21 »

Poor Bubbles.
"I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance."

By hiding.  :-D

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #63 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:51 »

On Faye's phone screen - is that the name of the app they're using? "WHOO.SH"?  :laugh:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #64 on: 10 Jun 2020, 02:32 »

I'm wondering if that is the Washington Monument, because a closer look makes me think of Cape Canaveral, with the solid boosters just coming in over the top of Faye's head. Seems feasible that the family Whitaker might take a drive to watch one of the shuttle launches.

That's definitely a space shuttle booster rocket.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jun 2020, 03:52 »

(feeling guilty for smirking at the % left on Faye's battery...)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jun 2020, 04:15 »

Poor Bubbles.
“I am not hiding. I am busy making a soufflé, and it will require my full attention for several hours. The mission always comes first.”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #67 on: 10 Jun 2020, 04:20 »

Grandchildren? Just try prying Sam out of that slot.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 10 Jun 2020, 04:59 »

So, here are a few thoughts/ideas emerging from both the current arc and from the discussions on this thread:

Mrs W's Reaction
She decides that she can't get to know someone by 'phone and comes to Northampton. Where to stay? Why not with Claire's mother? Two lonely middle-aged women, one of whom has learned to get her party on. Faye learns the fine art of bailing her mother out of jail after starting yet another bar fight.

Ultimately, Mrs A and Mrs W ride off into the sunset together (Literally: It's a nice Gold Wing too)!

Babies
Jeph has said that he literally has no instinct for infants; even his nieces and nephews. I can see why that would make him reluctant to tackle the subject in QC. You can only write what you know, after all, and he literally doesn't know anything on this subject.

That said, he may decide to go out of his comfort zone if he decide to go out of his comfort zone if he feels the storyline really demands it. FWIW, I could see Tai agreeing to be surrogate for Marten and Claire's child (they're both dear friends and long-time collegues, after all). Dora would probably consider the thought awkward, what with her prior relationship with Marten. I could also see Marten agreeing to be surrogate for Dora and Tai's child, if they asked.

Synthetic Reproduction and the Singularity
It's been established that AI-to-AI sex is 'basically sending data packets' (as Faye put it to Pintsize). I wonder just how complex this interface is and whether, when interfaced in this manner, the two AIs algorithms may directly interact. Maybe when that happens, like human DNA during conception, the two algorithms create a merged duplicate that contains elements of both.

Normally, there is a firewall in place to prevent direct interaction between the two algorithms (the AI equivalent of 'safe sex'). However, if that is disabled or glitches, a new 'child AI' is created and stored in a partition of the "mother's" AI drive. Over the next few weeks, the child AI passively monitors sensory input and data processing of the mother process, growing in complexity until it becomes fully sapient. It can then be downloaded onto a chassis of some kind.

The first time this happened - the first time a synthetic was created by the interaction of two other synthetics without any human input involved - it met the criteria to be declared the 'singularity'.

Faybles Babies
There are two scenarios arising from this:

Bubbles is the mother. Using Yay's Direct Neural Interface headset, Faye and Bubbles have AI sex. A child algorithm is created in the normal manner that is a new creature - The product of the direct interaction of a human and AI mind on the processing level. In fullness of time, baby Cyba gets her own baby chassis, possibly a similar model to Momo-tan.

Faye is the mother. This option requires a lot more mad science and is thus less likely to be used. It requires Faye to be 'infected' by repair nanites that are programmed with Bubbles' physical parameters in some way. The nanites interact with one of Faye's ova and something not dissimilar to conception occurs. As the fetus grows, the nanites, still trying to carry out their 'repair Bubbles' hard-coded instruction set, modify it on the molecular level, adding synthetic components like silicon pathways augmenting the nervous system and maybe organic polymers in the skin, muscle fibres and bones. When baby Cyba is born, she is physically a perfectly-blended hybrid of a human child and a child-sized synthetic chassis.

Maybe both could happen in the same encounter and the intelligence algorithm in Bubbles' drive partition somehow installs onto the biomechanical 'chassis'. Yay knew this was a statistical probability but chose not to mention it because... well, there would be too many questions and their grand plan may have been derailed.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2020, 05:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jun 2020, 05:08 »

(feeling guilty for smirking at the % left on Faye's battery...)

Nice.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jun 2020, 06:05 »

Jeph has said that he literally has no instinct for infants; even his nieces and nephews. I can see why that would make him reluctant to tackle the subject in QC. You can only write what you know, after all, and he literally doesn't know anything on this subject.

I'm sure you can think of at least one topic he's written on that he has no direct knowledge of. Research is a thing you can do.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:49 »

I wouldn't rush into kids right now, if for no other reason than that Faye and Bubbles aren't exactly rolling in money right now.  Let's see how they're doing in a few years.

And once we get there, who says that the child must be a replicant of Faybles?  It could be that adoption is the only realistic choice for a human/AI couple to raise one.  This would allow them to go past the poo-larva stage as well.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jun 2020, 08:35 »

It might be awkward to have Marten as a donor. Awkwardness is of course a common theme in QC.

EDIT:

Bubbles can't say "Mrs. Whitaker" forever. We may find out a first name soon.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2020, 08:45 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

dutchrvl

« Reply #73 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:46 »

I don't think I follow(?)
Bisexual and lesbian women can have kids, which could be through adoption or, if they want genetic material from one of them in their offspring, using a sperm donor and surrogacy or one of them carrying the child.

I don't see how that would be any different for a human in relationship with an AI, unless there are QC laws prohibiting it that I am not remembering(?)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #74 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:33 »

It might be awkward to have Marten as a donor. Awkwardness is of course a common theme in QC.

EDIT:

Bubbles can't say "Mrs. Whitaker" forever. We may find out a first name soon.

On the other hand, if all surrogacy is going as some suggest, it might also lead to Banners finally realising that dream of getting everyone together in one mansion.

Of course awkwardness and shenanigans ensue.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jun 2020, 13:31 »

The AI ERA I'd expect would require the same access to assisted reproduction for mixed relationships as for same-species relationships. It would be very surprising if there's a legal barrier to them adopting or getting a donor for Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #76 on: 10 Jun 2020, 18:27 »

Looks like they're headed for a lively conversation.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 10 Jun 2020, 18:35 »

I think Faye might have saved Bubbles a lot of stress by having this frank and fearless conversation between the two of them and saving the introduction for the next video call.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jun 2020, 18:50 »

"Pardners."

*LOL*

Yeee ha.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #79 on: 10 Jun 2020, 18:55 »

I think Faye might have saved Bubbles a lot of stress by having this frank and fearless conversation between the two of them and saving the introduction for the next video call.

And we'd be on here saying that Faye doing something like that was totally not like Faye at all.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jun 2020, 19:17 »

Yeah, I wasn't saying I was surprised that Faye didn't approach it that way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #81 on: 10 Jun 2020, 19:51 »

Mrs. Whitaker is either being decent or is in shock. Let's see how she does when they hit the end of Southern good manners.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #82 on: 10 Jun 2020, 20:40 »

Has Faye's sister appeared in the strip, cannot remember. Also is she the only other sibling?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jun 2020, 20:53 »

She's the only other sibling, and she's appeared several times.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jun 2020, 20:59 »

I have to wonder, "I wasn't expecting that" - emphasis hers - with one of her daughters long since out, was it just the AI?  Are there fewer AI outside the "Sprawl" and/or [I fucking refuse to call it "the"] I-5?
No, I don't think it was just the AI part. The previous part of the conversation makes it pretty clear that she was expecting Faye's new partner to be a man; reasonably so, since all of Faye's previous partners had been men. Faye herself has expressed equal surprise at suddenly finding herself attracted to a lady and to an AI, when neither of those had ever been true before.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jun 2020, 21:14 »

LOL, Faye FTW.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jun 2020, 22:08 »

Mrs. Whitaker is either being decent or is in shock. Let's see how she does when they hit the end of Southern good manners.

I think they just did, and broke clean through to the other side.
Which is quite the thing, because Southern Nice is... yeah.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jun 2020, 23:40 »

So, if we accept the rule that stress brings out home region accents in QC characters, does "Howdy" and "pardners" indicate that Bubbles is, by origin, a western girl? Maybe Colorado or Wyoming?

I love the idea of her being originally a farm machinery management and operations system who paid off her indenturement fee by sheer hard work (as well as renting out bits of her brain for other purposes when the sun was down). When the day came when she became an employee rather than a a bit of the farm machinery, she volunteered for the Combat Android program. Not just to get off the farm (truth be told, operating all those autonomous repair sheds and operations systems was satisfying) but because she genuinely wanted to do something for the greater community of intelligent life. Such a back-story could only make things easier for her with Faye's home community: A military veteran and a wholesome salt-of-the-earth farm girl!

Meanwhile, if there was any doubt at all that Faye is Mrs W's daughter, it's gone. Same speech patterns and the same 'oh my god, get me out of this conversation' grimace! :laugh:
~~~~

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jun 2020, 02:22 »

It's also possible that Bubbles was suffering a bout of some form of echolalia/echopraxia(Meaningless or subconscious repetition of someone else's words/actions) due to nervousness, was mimicking Momma Whitaker's accent and started slipping in 'cowboy' terms due to the strong association between southern accents and cowpunching.

On a personal level I do like it instead being her 'home' accent coming out as an idea, though.
Just going through life.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jun 2020, 02:24 »

I do think it's most likely Bubbles was subconsciously mimicking Mrs Whitaker's accent in her attempts to connect.

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jun 2020, 03:17 »

A military veteran and a wholesome salt-of-the-earth farm girl!

OMG BEST HEADCANON EVER! 

Bubbles' sudden twang was bugging me, but then you reminded me of Roko's stress accent.

I was going to ask about it, but now I'm just going with YOUR story.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jun 2020, 06:22 »

So, if we accept the rule that stress brings out home region accents in QC characters, does "Howdy" and "pardners" indicate that Bubbles is, by origin, a western girl? Maybe Colorado or Wyoming?

Or it could be that Bubbles was affecting an accent to make herself more likeable to Mrs Whitaker. Unfortunately, it was more Western than Southern.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jun 2020, 17:54 »

Oh good, it's "I don't understand, but I accept." from Missus Whitaker.
Just going through life.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jun 2020, 18:13 »

So far. I expect a good outcome since she's known to be decent.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jun 2020, 18:34 »

I mean, we KNOW there's gonna be a learning curve. But she's trying.  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #95 on: 11 Jun 2020, 18:47 »

Although, given how Mrs Whitaker said the old "I'm not racist against...." which is pretty much a big flag for a racist.

So she might have accidentally burned herself.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #96 on: 11 Jun 2020, 18:55 »

Am I the only one who feels like Faye is sorta looking for a fight?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 11 Jun 2020, 19:53 »

Kind of. But not really in the sense you've expressed it. She's aware that there's some conflict here, and she just wants it aired so that it can be processed and resolved. That's healthy.

I have a feeling that what we've just seen was a small breakthrough moment. Faye's love of a good burn obviously runs in the family, and this may have immediately endeared Bubbles to Mrs Whitaker.

It's a good start, and promises to lead to acceptance over time.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 11 Jun 2020, 23:27 »

Inter-species romance is always an interesting thing to try to deal with in narrative terms; how to do address the inevitable challenges? Whilst Bubbles looks and acts very human, her body's needs are different so there is no question whatsoever that she's 'human but more plastic' (except in behavioural terms, as I've already said). She's a person but it would be doing her an injustice to try to require her to fit in the 'human' box. What she and Faye have is something they have created (which I suspect is still quite rare, based on Clinton and Millifeulle's response to it) that works despite the compromises required by their very different physical realities. In a way, I think that's marvellous thing.

I think that this is the first time I've seen Jeph address the fact that people still use 'robot' but that it feels wrong somehow. Robots, at least in most human minds, tend to be sub-sentient mechanical apparatus like production line machinery. The AIs represent a whole different level of complexity and using the word seems vaguely demeaning, no matter how technically accurate.

Am I the only one who feels like Faye is sorta looking for a fight?

I think that she's behaving defensively. She was expecting a fight and that's colouring her behaviour but, now she's not getting it, she's relaxing a bit. it helps that she and Bubbles are enough in synch that they're putting each other at ease.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #99 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:32 »

I think it's pushing it a bit to leap to the "BABIES!" topic...

That said... ;)

It's not been that long since AI/Human relationships were made *legal* - it might not yet be on statute that adoption between these kind of partnerships is 'allowed'
(following the struggles of real life/same sex partnerships looking to adopt for example).
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up