THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your favorite piece of Back to the Future media?

Back to the Future (1st movie)
Back to the Future II
Back to the Future III
the cartoon
the comics
the games
the movie novelization(s)
the board game
Lego Dimensions level
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4281 to 4285 (8th to 12th June 2020)  (Read 21549 times)

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT strips 4281 to 4285 (8th to 12th June 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:12 »

So...because Faye’s mom is taking more than 30 seconds to digest the fact her daughter is dating a robot, she’s an asshole? Wow. Nice.

Life among The Woke ain’t easy, is it?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:28 »

Literally no-one here called her an asshole.  :roll:

Please take your anger towards The Left out on someone else, thanks.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #102 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:57 »

And if you think that it’s Faye or Bubbles calling her an asshole, go back and reread what they are actually saying.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 12 Jun 2020, 09:48 »

So...because Faye’s mom is taking more than 30 seconds to digest the fact her daughter is dating a robot, she’s an asshole? Wow. Nice.

Nope.

Global Moderator Comment I think you're trying to pick a fight. If so it won't work.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #104 on: 12 Jun 2020, 10:17 »

Did you seriously come back to post after 2 years just to try to pick a fight here, or did you seriously not understand the comic? Because nobody here, nor Bubbles is calling Ms. Whitaker an asshole.

PS: I suspect it's option 1 considering your posting history and attempt to make 'The Woke' into a monolithic group.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #105 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:10 »

I was reading the strip and yesterday's thinking: Mrs. W. rates more credit than Faye's been giving her (if she's been thinking about it at all) these last few years. I can almost see her taking Bubbles aside and saying: "You sure, honey? My girl can be a handful."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:19 »

Nope.

I think you're trying to pick a fight. If so it won't work.

Don't bother to engage them guys. Their profile page shows that they posted and then immediately logged off and haven't been back since. I doubt that we'll see them again until they need to work off some frustration and/or aggression again.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #107 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:14 »

Although, given how Mrs Whitaker said the old "I'm not racist against...." which is pretty much a big flag for a racist.

So she might have accidentally burned herself.

It's usually "I'm not racist, but...." you have to watch out for.

This was more a clumsy attempt by Mrs Whitaker to reassure Faye that she doesn't object, it's just new to her.

She's come a long way from her initial angry reaction to Faye's sister being gay, or even the "I don't approve, but I accept it" attitude she had after that. Which is neat.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #108 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:34 »

Okay, the comics have been great this week, and I love the development. But something is sorely bothering me.

In the shots from Faye's mom's tablet, you can see that Faye is holding the phone with her right hand. But the shots of Faye's mom from Faye's phone show Faye's holding the phone with her left.

It's a weird continuity thing, I know, but it is bugging the tar outta me.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:50 »

Er, no. I was reading the comic and commenting on it. That's still allowed, right?

Also, there should be a comma after "If so".

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #110 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:59 »

Er, no. I was reading the comic and commenting on it. That's still allowed, right?

Also, there should be a comma after "If so".

Moderator Comment This post reads like the kind of comments the 16-year-old students I used to teach made in class. Maybe that actually is how old you are, but this is not a classroom and we are not going to tolerate somebody claiming to not be provocative then immediately being exactly that. Cool your jets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #111 on: 12 Jun 2020, 13:59 »

I'm really liking the last few strips. QC has (only occasionally, and slightly) bothered me in the past, when characters have reacted to surprising news with almost perfect eloquence. Mrs Whitaker's reaction strikes me as very realistic, given that she 1) loves her daughter and 2) is probably massively boggled.

Being given such totally unexpected news she naturally doesn't have a speech planned, and is clearly trying to express herself with both acceptance and reasonable honesty, while on the spot. I think all three parties are doing pretty well.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #112 on: 12 Jun 2020, 14:06 »

I'm really liking the last few strips. QC has (only occasionally, and slightly) bothered me in the past, when characters have reacted to surprising news with almost perfect eloquence. Mrs Whitaker's reaction strikes me as very realistic, given that she 1) loves her daughter and 2) is probably massively boggled.

Being given such totally unexpected news she naturally doesn't have a speech planned, and is clearly trying to express herself with both acceptance and reasonable honesty, while on the spot. I think all three parties are doing pretty well.

I'd agree with this.

QC's characters are so tolerant and open sometimes that it can feel like they're not experiencing any hardships - I'm digging Faye's mom brave face-ing this shit.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #113 on: 12 Jun 2020, 15:17 »

Just popping in to say today panel 5 and yesterday's panels of Bubbles are some of the 'cutest' we've seen of her. Really hitting that 50's sitcom vibe to me.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #114 on: 12 Jun 2020, 21:12 »

Just popping in to say today panel 5 and yesterday's panels of Bubbles are some of the 'cutest' we've seen of her. Really hitting that 50's sitcom vibe to me.
And in Friday's panel 7, she's simultaneously being adorable and snarky.

If we needed any more proof that she and Faye are a good match, that's it.  :-D

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jun 2020, 05:33 »

I forgot...this board is so “open and tolerant” that it immediately shuts down all dissent, complete with insults. Nice.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jun 2020, 05:52 »

Are you okay? You seem a bit unhappy.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #117 on: 13 Jun 2020, 06:02 »

I forgot...this board is so “open and tolerant” that it immediately shuts down all dissent, complete with insults. Nice.

Actually, misreading the source text so badly that you have no idea who is being insulted isn't a good way to get people to take your opinion on the scene particularly positively or seriously. There is literally no reason whatsoever to assume that Bubbles was insulting Faye's mother. None whatsoever.

You weren't being criticised for 'dissenting'. You were being criticised for being so overtly and painfully wrong. It is possible that you literally only read the one speech bubble where Bubbles announces that synthetics like to call anti-AI bigots 'assholes' and then built the rest of your opinion backwards from there in line with your complex about 'the woke' shuttling down all dissent without bothering to read the rest of the strip. I could be wrong about that last bit but that is certainly the impression you gave. If you did read the rest of the strip, it's actually much worse for you as you obviously failed to understand the fairly simple narrative.

So, yeah: The solution is to actually read the strip and then give an opinion that actually in some way fits with what happens in it, not just cherry-pick whatever out-of-context line of dialogue can be crowbarred into your desire to complain about the author's political prejudices. Believe me  that there are a lot better strips for that end that have been published in the two years that you've been away.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2020, 06:08 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

gajatko

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #118 on: 13 Jun 2020, 08:15 »

Well recent comics might resurrect some long not seen user. I too have entered the forum after a long period of simply reading QC. I think I never was a bigot but I definitely was less tolerant in the past.

I'd like to share a thought which has been a long time with me. I really, really, really miss the Corpse Witch. It was my favorite character! If a crazy idea of robots having human-like emotions wasn't enough, here we had a story about a military AI suffering post-tragedy trauma. It was so cool and innovative, although I wish it had a more dark ending. Like Faye killed by Corpse Witch and Bubbles disabled by an EMP again and imprisoned by that super-AI or something like that. It wasn't that bad with a semi-happy ending though.  :wink:

Anyways, I hope Jeph will introduce some dark character in the future. I was thinking about writing an e-mail but I guess it would get lost in a huge amount of others.  :lol: BTW can we see Angus in a TV, please?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #119 on: 13 Jun 2020, 08:59 »

I really don’t think Jeph wants to make QC anywhere near that dark. It would be a total departure from the tone the comic has had for the last 17 years.

On another note, I am once again unable to post via Tapatalk  - looks like Tapatalk’s IP address got accidentally banned again as collateral damage.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 13 Jun 2020, 09:12 »

Human prisoners are allowed to exchange letters and in some prisons, notably Federal, strictly limited electronic messaging.

Corpse Witch could theoretically reappear on that basis, though I can't imagine a dramatic reason Jeph would want to do that.

Or she could appear in Dale's Glasses, though something tells me she is a very long time away from being eligible for parole.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #121 on: 13 Jun 2020, 11:53 »

Not knowing the hows and whats of the AI penal system all we can have is idle speculation.
We are idle so lets go with the speculation.

As we already know white collar crimes like embezzlement leads to AI jail and it is not a very pleasant place for the AI.
Now CW did much more than just illegal fighting, gambling, bribery and all that organized grime stuff but actually attempted murder.
Now QC verse is more enlightened than our version of the states so I highly doubt there is state sponsored murder.

So what does that leave us with? Extended time in AI Jail?
I doubt simple AI jail would be acceptable as a punishment for any levels of cyber-cide committed by an AI.
My speculative proposition is something far more frugal with the limited resources of the penal system yet just as effective.
Have her AI sandboxed [isolated] with a basic psychologist/warden program [not AI - too much risk there] on an overclocked system where the time differential can be orders of magnitudes greater than Real Time.
Hardware would be retired but still functional super computers.
This could translate into years per second spent in isolation with only a disembodied psychologist program monitoring and administering therapy.
The program would be patiently performing therapy until CW is deemed ready for reintegration with society.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #122 on: 13 Jun 2020, 12:15 »

Except that the psychologist program is ELIZA.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #123 on: 13 Jun 2020, 13:59 »

So you see M-x doctor too? 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 13 Jun 2020, 17:13 »

Everyone here is human.

Humans make mistakes.

Trying to learn from them and attempting to communicate beter is often the best solution.

I think Paul put it best when he wrote; "If possible, and to your own extent, live in peace with all people."
Granted, these days that can be a pretty big "if" in some cases.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #125 on: 13 Jun 2020, 17:37 »

Now CW did much more than just illegal fighting, gambling, bribery and all that organized grime stuff but actually attempted murder.
Wait, what? Who did Corpse Witch try to kill, and when?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #126 on: 13 Jun 2020, 17:44 »

She tried to trigger the self-destruct protocol she implanted in Bubble's head.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #127 on: 13 Jun 2020, 17:47 »

Step 1: Say something to deliberate provoke the forum
Step 2: Wait for someone to respond to said provocation
Step 3: Complain about being "attacked" and feel smug
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 13 Jun 2020, 19:20 »

Anyways, I hope Jeph will introduce some dark character in the future.

I think that it would be great for QC to have an above-the-line villainous cast member. Having a villain in the cast need not lead to QC becoming "dark" (although, honestly, a bit of black humour in QC wouldn't go entirely astray).

Having a villain would provide a focal point for the working out of a QC cast member's internal conflict, which is the main benefit of writing a story with external conflict. Giving forumites someone to get angry at apart from every character flaw revealed in the other QC cast members would just be an added bonus.

I'm not going to post my various ideas because it would be pointless - it wouldn't prompt Jeph to pick them up, and it might even prevent him from writing those stories.

But there are still a bunch of characters with dangling internal and/or external conflict to be worked out, and the introduction/re-introduction of a villain would help to push those stories along.

Hanners... May... Roko... Marten... Clinton... Sven... and more. Take your pick.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #129 on: 13 Jun 2020, 19:35 »

Step 1: Say something to deliberate provoke the forum
Step 2: Wait for someone to respond to said provocation
Step 3: Complain about being "attacked" and feel smug

Global Moderator Comment RMc is no longer here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #130 on: 14 Jun 2020, 05:55 »

Okay, the comics have been great this week, and I love the development. But something is sorely bothering me.

In the shots from Faye's mom's tablet, you can see that Faye is holding the phone with her right hand. But the shots of Faye's mom from Faye's phone show Faye's holding the phone with her left.

It's a weird continuity thing, I know, but it is bugging the tar outta me.

What, no one else? I'm worried my art perspective is skewed.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #131 on: 14 Jun 2020, 05:59 »

It's common for video call software to mirror the video. It makes things less confusing when you're looking at your own feed.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #132 on: 14 Jun 2020, 07:09 »

She tried to trigger the self-destruct protocol she implanted in Bubble's head.
I have no recollection of that. Strip?
stePH
--

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #134 on: 14 Jun 2020, 07:50 »

It's common for video call software to mirror the video. It makes things less confusing when you're looking at your own feed.

This was my immediate thought but I forgot to check.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #135 on: 14 Jun 2020, 11:56 »

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3405
And where is the strip referencing a self-destruct protocol? Because that isn't it.
stePH
--

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #137 on: 14 Jun 2020, 12:59 »

After Emily killed the monster-looking thing, Spookybot said in comic 3400 "no telling what havoc that might have wrought if it had been free to rampage through the rest of Bubbles' mind". In comic 3405 I think the implication is that Corpse Witch tried to trigger that malware when she said "it was nice knowing you" (when her eyes light up).  Then in comic 3413 Spookybot calls it "kill software".

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #138 on: 14 Jun 2020, 13:40 »

Also, CW's reaction when Bubbles said "I am still here".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #139 on: 14 Jun 2020, 14:06 »

Yes, CW tried to kill Bubbles. And she did it with a smile on her face.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #140 on: 14 Jun 2020, 15:47 »

Embarrassing to admit, but that sailed over my head at the time.  :psyduck:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #141 on: 14 Jun 2020, 16:26 »

It didn't with me, but I had forgotten about it until it was brought up.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #142 on: 14 Jun 2020, 18:05 »

What happens if the legal system discovers that CW's guilty plea was the result of a threat of torture?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #143 on: 14 Jun 2020, 18:10 »

I don't know, but that scenario seems unlikely. Only CW and Yay know about it, and I don't anticipate either of them speaking up about it.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #144 on: 14 Jun 2020, 18:27 »

What happens if the legal system discovers that CW's guilty plea was the result of a threat of torture?

The torture wasn't conducted by an officer of the court or police, and the actual confession was delivered later under police supervision. So the confession is not in and of itself necessarily tainted and would probably be admissible.

HOWEVER, the circumstances under which Corpse Witch was compelled to later give that confession would also be admissible in any re-trial. Because of that, the prosecution would probably need evidence to back up the validity of the confession. The binder full of evidence that then Spooky handed over to Roko probably wouldn't be admissible since its source is inherently mysterious. The police would need to establish where all this information came from, or even recreate it though their own investigation so that it's clear there's no funny business.

It would probably be quite an endeavor to re-try Corpse Witch.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 14 Jun 2020, 18:35 »

I would have thought that evidence as a result of torture would be inadmissible regardless of who did the torturing. But IANAL.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 14 Jun 2020, 18:41 »

Okay, I employed the finest legal advice that a google search has to offer.

18 U.S. Code § 3501.Admissibility of confessions
"In any criminal prosecution brought by the United States or by the District of Columbia, a confession, as defined in subsection (e) hereof, shall be admissible in evidence if it is voluntarily given."

It wasn't voluntarily given. It just looked that way to the court.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #147 on: 14 Jun 2020, 19:30 »

Embarrassing to admit, but that sailed over my head at the time.  :psyduck:
Was lost on me as well.
stePH
--

N.N. Marf

• I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #148 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:52 »

Now QC verse is more enlightened than our version of the states so I highly doubt there is state sponsored murder.
An interesting interpretation of Bubbles' destroyed war memories as a figment of her imagination.

This could translate into years per second spent in isolation with only a disembodied psychologist program monitoring and administering therapy.
The program would be patiently performing therapy until CW is deemed ready for reintegration with society.
Perhaps soon, in QC cyber-prisonsrehabilitation centers. May's testimony would seem to indicate that it's more like the Clockwork Orange's rehabilitation chair, the doctor occasionally administering false tears, than Norway's lock-from-the-inside rehab hotels.
It wasn't voluntarily given. It just looked that way to the court.
Would the court know the difference? Where I'm from, usually not.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #149 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:59 »

The thing is that Corpse Witch really doesn’t want a retrial. Spookybot made the deal explicit: allow the criminal justice system to have its way with her... or they would have their way with her. Robojail is frankly her best option, because someday they might let her out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up