Mrs Augustus
- 13 (50%)
Peter & Ellsa Bianchi
- 1 (3.8%)
Jim Bean
- 5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4286-4290 (15th to 19th June 2020)  (Read 14855 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT strips 4286-4290 (15th to 19th June 2020)
« on: 14 Jun 2020, 23:13 »

Okay, snap poll created when I realised that no-one had set up a WCDT for this week: Who is the best parent character? 'Best' doesn't mean 'nicest', it means 'best written'.

In an odd coincidence, Mrs Whittaker is high on my list. I think that Jeph has always done a good job in showing her feelings about everything that has happened to her over the years and she's always been shown having an honest reaction to her daughters' lives. However, I think I like Jim a bit more. He is shown as genuinely struggling with Sam but, despite this, he genuinely loves her and is trying to make the right decisions for her. I think that he's an entirely praiseworthy character in that area

Now onto today's strip: "All I want is for my girls to be safe and happy" is the quote for the day and I do think it says a lot of good things about what is in her heart.

Meanwhile... Is is traditional for southern women to frankly discuss things like that? Or is Mrs A merely exercising her motherly privilege of embarrassing her daughter. What next? emailing Bubbles scans of Faye's baby pictures? Or telling her a story about that time 6-year-old Faye decided to 'make art' out of the contents of the kitchen?
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2020, 23:09 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT strips 4286-4290 (15th to 19th June 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2020, 23:42 »

The first panel can be summed up as 'all things within reason', a fairly good motto to live by.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2020, 23:43 »

Hrr, hrr.

I have a very hard time to believe theres many parents like Fayes mom.

So you got two daughters and the first one turns out to be homosexual, okay.

And then the second daughter turns out to be bisexual and enters a stable longterm lesbian relationship.

Thats when you know you wont get grandchildren, ever. Right ?
Carpe Diem

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2020, 00:06 »

We're getting all of about 30 seconds to a few minutes of conversation in a strip. I'm sure the topic will come up at some point. But even then she may have already had conversations with Faye and or her sister about kids before and come to the understanding they aren't something either sister is interested in having, at least for now depending on their feelings. Not every relationship has to end up with kids after all.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:06 »

In case you've forgotten about how Mrs Whitaker felt about Faye having grandkids... remember the "crazier than a mule on a Ferris Wheel" quote?

Faye: No offense, Mom, but I don't see Amanda with kids no matter WHICH team she bats for.
Mrs Whitaker: I know, but look at the alternative. I love you, sweetie, but you're crazier than a mule on a Ferris wheel.

This event isn't changing how she feels about future grandchildren. There's no reason for her to be mad about this.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2020, 03:19 »

Anyone able to help a fellow reader across the pond out?
What on earth does "You're a big bucket of water, ain'cha?" mean? ^^'
Just, your a big person? Is it more a 'melons' reference?
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2020, 03:22 »

Mrs Whitaker is telling Bubbles that she's tall, big and attractive (refreshing like a glass of water). Bi Mrs W confirmed? Might my idle speculation of her coming to Northampton and then running away with Mrs Augustus actually plausible now? :-o
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2020, 05:03 »

It’s just a way of noting that Bubbles is very big. Nothing more.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2020, 05:05 »

Its probably a play on the older phrase of calling someone a tall drink of water, however, bubbles being not only tall but well built is a bucket not just a glass of water.

I've only heard it used in the US and kinda more of an old fashioned thing if I understand correctly. Although it does play into the more modern phrase of some being "thirsty" for an attractive person.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2020, 05:20 »

Mrs Whitaker is telling Bubbles that she's tall, big and attractive (refreshing like a glass of water). Bi Mrs W confirmed? Might my idle speculation of her coming to Northampton and then running away with Mrs Augustus actually plausible now? :-o

I'm pretty sure it's possible for someone of the same gender as another to comment on other said person's attractiveness, without being Bisexual.

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2020, 05:24 »

I think so too, but this is Jeph we're talking about. This really sharply skews the averages off of the median line.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2020, 05:50 »

I think so too, but this is Jeph we're talking about. This really sharply skews the averages off of the median line.

That, I'll grant you !  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2020, 06:55 »

That turned out OK. I still want her coming to town too, tho.  :-D

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2020, 07:44 »

Hrr, hrr.

And then the second daughter turns out to be bisexual and enters a stable longterm lesbian relationship.

"Thats when you know you wont get grandchildren, ever"? That is a pretty extreme conclusion. Is the chance lower than had they been in heterosexual relationships? Probably, although I actually do not know if nowadays the chance of gay/bisexual couples having (biological) children is lower than for heterosexual couples.
But a conclusion that neither one of them will ever have children is far from foregone, even for Mrs. Whitaker.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2020, 08:25 »

Sam. Sam is all the grandchildren Mrs Whittaker will ever need.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2020, 12:18 »

Is that steam coming out of Bubbles neck-seam?  She seems to be blushing a bit, to.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2020, 15:03 »

The intensity of their embarrassed reaction to her mother remarking that Bubbles is attractive is very weird to me, honestly.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2020, 15:19 »

Probably because Mrs Whitaker is trying to show she's understanding, which when any parent tries to do that, it automatically becomes cringe inducing.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2020, 15:50 »

Now, I would have put Jim and Veronica as a couple.  Veronica raised Marten to be a nice guy, but she's also there to guide Sam through the process of becoming a young woman.  So she's done double duty here.

But in the end, I voted for Mrs Augustus.  She raised two kids, on her own for some time now, guiding one of them through a very difficult in their life.  Dealing with another's life changing injury.  Winding up as a bass playing, pot smoking,, sexually free woman of a certain age.
Veronica was fortunate enough to do what she does on her own terms, and apparently get to a place her life in a position of some comfort.
Faye's mom seems to be doing pretty good, in spite of what has occurred.  Maybe handling the event, overall, better than her elder daughter.

Sorry, just rambling.

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2020, 16:12 by Mr Intrepid »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2020, 15:53 »

Probably because Mrs Whitaker is trying to show she's understanding, which when any parent tries to do that, it automatically becomes cringe inducing.

One of the biggest reasons I come here is for the surprisingly different takes that forumites bring.

Mine is somewhere in between the two extremes of, She's trying to show she's understanding and, She thinks Bubbles is hot - maybe my ship is legit now! Even taking Jeph's proclivities into account.

I have encountered proud parents remarking for all to hear on just how attractive their offspring's new partner is, and it has indeed provoked mild embarrassment. But nothing to the extreme of this comic. YMMV.

Probably - maybe? - Jeph is just doing comic exaggeration.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2020, 16:15 »

To me, this discussion is interesting because it just goes to show how little you know until you know it. I read 'Wooo-boy, you're a big bucket of water, ain'cha?' as Mrs Whitaker basically saying "gosh you're big" with a side of positive, but I was reading from context.

I used to think "tall drink of water" was an insult. I used to equate it with "tall streak of piss" and it was years before I realised they had totally different meanings.

It is genuinely interesting to me how different cultures/nations/regions use slang differently. "Tall drink of water" isn't a common phrase where I come from, whereas "tall streak of piss" is. The more you know!

EDITED: I voted for John Ellicot-Chatham, but if it's best written, I'll put in a word for Jim even though I can't stand the guy.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2020, 16:32 by SeaWoodStage »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2020, 16:28 »

Interestingly, "tall drink of water" was used with negative connotations (but with much the same literal meaning) in the film The Shawshank Redemption.

At around 1:48 in the clip above.

Kind of reminds me of the phrase "pretty boy." Could be a compliment or an insult depending on who's saying it.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2020, 16:40 »

Thank you Tova! I've seen the film a few times (and personally think it's the best Stephen King adaptation along with Stand By Me) but I haven't seen it for a while, and I wonder now if that's where I got my negative connotation of the phrase from. As I said, it's not a common phrase where I come from, so it makes sense that I picked it up from a film.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:04 »

New comic up! Faye of course teases Bubbles on her attempt to be 'Southern.' *lol*

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:20 »

Or it could be that Bubbles was affecting an accent to make herself more likeable to Mrs Whitaker. Unfortunately, it was more Western than Southern.

Huh, guess I was right. Truly I am shocked.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:23 »

Hah. I am not.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:28 »

By the way, the thread title has a couple typos.  The comic range should be 4286 to 4290.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:36 »

Nah, its just that this is/will be/was time travel week.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2020, 19:47 »

That's not this week. It's not going to be Time Travel Week until two weeks ago.

Gyrre

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2020, 20:49 »

Its probably a play on the older phrase of calling someone a tall drink of water, however, bubbles being not only tall but well built is a bucket not just a glass of water.

I've only heard it used in the US and kinda more of an old fashioned thing if I understand correctly. Although it does play into the more modern phrase of some being "thirsty" for an attractive person.
Though, whether it's purely a matter of aesthetic  appreciation vs physical attraction remains to be seen.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2020, 20:56 »

There's always the Kenoshan accent.
a real-ass gaddam sword

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2020, 21:08 »

Uff da.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2020, 22:18 »

If anyone recalls, when the sheriff came into the wedding chapel in the first "KillBill" movie, he described the bride (Uma Thurman), as a tall cool drink of water, as a comment on her beauty,  in spite of what had been done to her.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2020, 23:13 »

As I said yesterday: Mrs W is exercising her motherly prerogative of embarrassing her children with stories you'd forgotten and wished that they had too. In this case... Maybe Faye's first ever stumbling attempt at getting a boyfriend, one who was a bit too confident and sassy for her mother's taste?

That last panel was odd. Did Bubbles have a speech filter installed that she had to stop so that she'd start sounding like... well Bubbles again?

By the way, the thread title has a couple typos.  The comic range should be 4286 to 4290.

Yes, that's what happens when you create a thread literally on the fly first thing in the morning pre-coffee when you're still about 2/3 asleep. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out; I've fixed it now.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2020, 04:48 »

Or she could have simply been affecting an accent to make Faye's mother more at ease. Ben, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and more often than not the simplest answer is the right one.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2020, 05:08 »

There's always the Kenoshan accent.

I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCENT, YANNO!

Fer criminy cripes sake...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #36 on: 16 Jun 2020, 06:47 »

Hrr, hrr.

You must be trolling. Or you are the least informed person ever. Or you are a child. Do some reading.

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 16 Jun 2020, 06:52 »

FYI boys, women tell each other they're hot all the time and it doesn't mean anything other than a compliment. If people are saying that Faye's mom thinks Bubbles is hot now that is just all kinds of ridiculous.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2020, 07:16 »

No one is saying anything about it not being a compliment.

Its that Mrs Whitaker has just found out her eldest is in a relationship with a female AI and is trying to be understanding by complimenting Bubbles using a term that is overly flirtatious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2020, 08:07 »

Hrr, hrr.

WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY

Plus of course adoption or a sperm donor for the uterus-equipped member of the couple.

The biggest obstacle to grandchildren is Faye's mental health problems, followed by her financial insecurity. Both of those obstacles would be present in a het relationship.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2020, 08:11 »

Not every woman wants kids. Not every woman with kids wants grandchildren. I am disappointed this even needed to be said.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jun 2020, 08:23 »

Yeah, but Mrs Whitaker realised long ago that she wouldn't get any grandchildren. She discussed that with Faye back when Faye went to visit her after Dora and Marten hooked up. In her own words, she loved Faye, but she was crazier than a mule in a ferris wheel, meaning that Mrs Whitaker knew that Faye wasn't in any healthy place to be a mother.

And that was directed more to Snubnose's post.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #42 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:13 »

On accents:  I grew up in Missouri, now in California, but enough howdy and y'all have snuck in that occasionally folk think I am from Texas.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #43 on: 16 Jun 2020, 11:50 »

Do they really talk 'down south' up north?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:22 »

Mrs. Whitaker sounded more wistful than hurt to me about not having grandchildren. I think she would have preferred having them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:56 »

On accents:  I grew up in Missouri, now in California, but enough howdy and y'all have snuck in that occasionally folk think I am from Texas.
My father was in the air force, we moved so often that I ended up being an accent chameleon, 6 months in a new place and you would think I had lived all my life there.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jun 2020, 13:52 »

Accents are less pronounced today than they were in the past.  WWII moved huge numbers of people both to fight and to support the war effort.  Mass media produced a "neutral" accent for news readers and announcers, with created a sound that many people emulated.
Economic and educational opportunities were also a factor.  Of course, economic and education were also related to race.
Mrs Whitmore's accent, such as it is, is likely related to both her age (patterns from her childhood),  where she was raised, (a more rural and isolated environment).  But that's really all speculation on my part.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #47 on: 16 Jun 2020, 15:33 »

Regional accents are most certainly still there.  I have a friend who is from Alabama who is seriously considering hiring a speech therapist because she's worried that she sounds like some sort of redneck.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jun 2020, 18:44 »

Do they really talk 'down south' up north?

No, and those who try are usually hilariously bad at it. Like Bubbles was here.

On the subject of regional accents: My wife grew up with in the North Carolina mountains. Over the years she has trained herself out of most of her Southern Appalachian accent in favor of a more neutral one. It’s doubtful that Harvard would have hired her if she still spoke like her mother or her sister, who still have strong Southern Appalachian accents. Like it or not, people with that accent are perceived as uneducated and unintelligent.

Of course, that’s not limited to Southern accents. A South Boston accent won’t get you far in the academic world either.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jun 2020, 19:04 »

Comic's up.

Sex, cookies, whatever.
"Some people juggle geese!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up