THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4291-4295 (22-26 June 2020)  (Read 12897 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT strips 4291-4295 (22-26 June 2020)
« on: 21 Jun 2020, 18:00 »

No Poll, but new comic.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
Re: WCDT strips 4291-4295 (22-26 June 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2020, 18:26 »

It's good that we got some more information on how Yay's 'eavesdropping' works, although it does still sound a bit handwave-y to me.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2020, 18:30 »

Today's comic further enforces my theory that Station and Yay are either somehow related, or at least communicate with each other.

My first inclination was when I realized Yay shows up right after Station says he wouldn't want to try helping Bubbles.

Now today we learn that They have access to a telescope, which it's possible could be part of Station's Space Station.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2020, 18:37 »

I do wonder how much Yay's spying is intentional, and how much is kinda automatic.

(Larry Niven once pointed out Superman probably accidentally both sees and hears stuff they shouldn't, but doesn't intend to. It's not HIS fault people shamelessly wear clothes with no lead in them.)

Hey, I was right. And I don't have the patreon, so no clues either.

Cool.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2020, 19:56 »

I still suspect Yay isn't mentioning the millions of datastreams from the Internet of Things (IoT).  Either for reasons of tact, or because that isn't nearly as poetic.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2020, 20:50 »

The last panel is almost lampshading the fundamental weirdness of the character.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2020, 22:05 »

The last panel is almost lampshading the fundamental weirdness of the character.
Whether it does or doesn't, this strip is definitely going in the favorites folder.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2020, 23:09 »

I think that Monday's strip does a good job in reminding us of how different Yay's universe is compared to that of the huge majority of the characters with whom we're familiar. Because their perception of the universe is so much vaster, their ideas of what life is about and even possibly more nuanced aspects of 'right' and 'wrong' are probably different too.

That said, yes, Roko is right about one thing: Having a demi-divine sensorium does not exclude you from being ethical. The question is, given Yay's justifiable fears about how others will view them, exactly were does 'unethical' and 'prudent' meet?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:40 »

The last panel is the AI version of the observation that most of us carry in our pockets or purses a device that has more computing power than the one that landed on the moon, that gives access to pretty much the sum total of shared human knowledge, that captures images and sounds and preserves them for us, and allows us to communicate with each other across the breadth of the planet ...
... and we  use it to look at pictures of cats and get into stupid arguments with strangers.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2020, 15:55 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2020, 12:32 »

... and we  use it to look at pictures of cats

Seems worthwhile to me.

Also, Mantis Shrimp. Those things are so out there in a variety of ways. They see colors no other animal does, they come in those rainbow colors, and their claws have organic ratchet springs. The claws strike fast and hard, and the shrimp has to wind them back up after using them.

They truly are real life Claw Shrimp.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/19/claw-shrimp

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2020, 18:34 »

New comic up.

Awwww. Also, owned.

Gyrre

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2020, 20:53 »

... and we  use it to look at pictures of cats

Seems worthwhile to me.

Also, Mantis Shrimp. Those things are so out there in a variety of ways. They see colors no other animal does, they come in those rainbow colors, and their claws have organic ratchet springs. The claws strike fast and hard, and the shrimp has to wind them back up after using them.

They truly are real life Claw Shrimp.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/19/claw-shrimp
But there are shrimp with claws. Both in Malacostraca and in Amphipoda.

EDIT: Hell, Amphipoda has at least three varieties of chelates (pincer claws); chelate, carpochelate, and merochelate. And the extension in roughly the middle of most merochelates is an attachment point for extra cetae.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2020, 23:23 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2020, 23:08 »

In which Yay finally gets what they've been looking for: Positive reinforcement from Roko! It's in character that they brush it off as nothing (because panel three is "It was nothing" in Yay's particular way of talking) but they did the right thing and Roko's approval feels good.

I'm also wondering how long it will take Yay to realise that Roko's behaviour fits in the category of 'bratty sister'. You love 'em but they sure know how to get under your skin!
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2020, 03:32 »

Hmmm...
Interesting the reaction from Yay, here.
I don't remember there being the same show of 'satisfaction' after the Corpsewitch incident, which was arguably far more tense and fraught with actual danger...

Maybe 'cos they are helping a "Human"...?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2020, 03:38 »

Well, Yay has come a very long way since taking down Corpse Witch, most notably in developing their friendship with Roko and Melon. I suspect  that it isn't what they did that matters or even with whom. What matters is that they've earned Roko's approval, something that they've been trying to do for some time.
~~~~

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2020, 10:55 »

exactly were does 'unethical' and 'prudent' meet?
In the lobby.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2020, 14:06 »

I don't remember there being the same show of 'satisfaction' after the Corpsewitch incident, which was arguably far more tense and fraught with actual danger...

Maybe because the Corpse Witch incident was work, whereas helping Faye was something that they wanted to do?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2020, 18:31 »

Another haircut, time for annoyed forumites!

...In this case, because I know I'm not the only one who has trouble telling whether it's Dora or Emily unless I recognize an outfit or there's important context like being in bed with Tai or something.  This new haircut is more Dora-esque, so it's just going to get worse.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2020, 18:43 »

Yeah, I kinda disagree with Tai.

Admittedly, the few times I've been stoned, I've deliberately not made serious decisions on stuff.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2020, 18:47 »

A haircut?!? Dun dun DUNNN!!!   

Time for the long-hair lovers to start fuming!  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2020, 18:53 »

What can I say. A new hairstyle. Lampshading. Weed jokes. Staring at the ceiling while cracking wise. Yep, it's a QC strip.

Time for the long-hair lovers to start fuming!  :-D

On the bright side, I think at this point he's going to have to grow someone's hair out before he can cut it again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2020, 20:10 »

On the bright side, I think at this point he's going to have to grow someone's hair out before he can cut it again.

Sooner or later, someone's going to take this to its (il)logical conclusion and just go bald.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

Gyrre

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2020, 21:04 »

Yeah, I kinda disagree with Tai.

Admittedly, the few times I've been stoned, I've deliberately not made serious decisions on stuff.

I've only ever been drunk a few times so I wouldn't know this first hand, but doesn't this sort of thing usually vary on a case-by-case basis for each individual.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2020, 22:29 »

Minor quibble: Having had my hair clippered for the last 16 years, you're not achieving that kind of hairstyle from clippering (way too much hair left that's longer than the largest guard attachment), unless Dora was swinging it randomly through her hair (in which case, owwwwww).  My hair only started looking like that after about six weeks of regrowth after being cut with an 8 guard.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2020, 22:33 »

I feel like this is a nice callback to the last time we saw Emily intoxicated.

Also, I needed a haircut when the Covid crisis made all the hair cutters shut down. Months later waiting for a chance to get my hair cut, I felt that "Tyranny of Hair" statement. "Mood," I think the kids say. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2020, 23:18 »

Most of this strip is one of those ones that Jeph probably thought was hilariously funny when he first wrote it but he's never really been able to make fully connect when it's actually drawn out. That's a long way of saying "No, I don't get it". I know what's supposed to be funny but it isn't to me.

Actually, it's a callback to every time we see Emily intoxicated. She always ends up hacking off her hair, which makes me wonder what the story is here. Does she feel social pressure to have long hair as part of the whole traditional 'willowy oriental girl' aesthetic and only has the courage to have the short hairdo she wants when drunk/stoned? Maybe her friends should sit her down and tell her that, no matter what others (her parents?) say, it's okay for her to have short hair if she wants it.

I guess I may be overthinking her use of the word 'tyranny'.

Also, it says everything you need to know about Coffee of Doom - Sword under the counter, hair-clippers in the office.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2020, 23:51 »

Most of this strip is one of those ones that Jeph probably thought was hilariously funny when he first wrote it but he's never really been able to make fully connect when it's actually drawn out. That's a long way of saying "No, I don't get it". I know what's supposed to be funny but it isn't to me.

If all you've got is a handful of running jokes, every filler strip looks like an athletics track.

To be honest, I am pretty bored with the weed anti-jokes, but I assume other people must enjoy them, so who am I to criticise. You can't hit it out of the park every day.

P.S. Just one more observation before I shut up about it: they've been in the cafe getting high since the 5th of May.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2020, 00:22 by Tova »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2020, 06:35 »

Yeah, well, time flows differently when you’re stoned.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2020, 07:06 »

If all you've got is a handful of running jokes, every filler strip looks like an athletics track.

To be honest, I am pretty bored with the weed anti-jokes, but I assume other people must enjoy them, so who am I to criticise. You can't hit it out of the park every day.

P.S. Just one more observation before I shut up about it: they've been in the cafe getting high since the 5th of May.

I... honestly didn't really register there was supposed to be a joke in the strip.

No, I'm not being snarky. I read the whole strip as a random conversation (think Big Mac talk from "Pulp Fiction"). No part of the dialogue registers as particularly funny to me. But now that people mention it... I think I see what was maybe meant as a joke? If I squint?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2020, 07:22 »

Or espresso!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2020, 08:36 »

Or espresso!

"Help!  Help!  I'm being espressed!"   :-P
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

dutchrvl

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2020, 09:38 »

I... honestly didn't really register there was supposed to be a joke in the strip.

No, I'm not being snarky. I read the whole strip as a random conversation (think Big Mac talk from "Pulp Fiction"). No part of the dialogue registers as particularly funny to me. But now that people mention it... I think I see what was maybe meant as a joke? If I squint?

Yeah I'm with you, just like the big mac convo to me it registers more as a sort of entertaining convo instead of an actual joke. I suppose it depends on what one considers a joke.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2020, 09:43 »

Sooner or later, someone's going to take this to its (il)logical conclusion and just go bald.
Don't joke, as his hair thins ever further eventually we will get at least one if not more characters going bald or getting a brush cut.

My personal reaction was - What?  Oh no, not again. Deep sigh It makes me feel like a bowl of petunias.

/edit horrible typo [now watch as three more pop up]
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2020, 07:02 by Thrudd »
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dutchrvl

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2020, 09:43 »

Also, I needed a haircut when the Covid crisis made all the hair cutters shut down. Months later waiting for a chance to get my hair cut, I felt that "Tyranny of Hair" statement. "Mood," I think the kids say.

Interesting, I also feel Dora and Clinton's conversation is a callback to the comic where Claire talks about a combined tattoo/oyster bar (I think? the one about making all bad decisions at once). Sorry my archive-fu is not really up to it today...

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jun 2020, 15:34 »

...In this case, because I know I'm not the only one who has trouble telling whether it's Dora or Emily unless I recognize an outfit or there's important context like being in bed with Tai or something.  This new haircut is more Dora-esque, so it's just going to get worse.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble telling Dora and Emily apart. I love the comic, but the characters start morphing into each other as time passes. Face shapes are getting very similar, and now haircuts as well.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2020, 15:39 »

Interesting, I also feel Dora and Clinton's conversation is a callback to the comic where Claire talks about a combined tattoo/oyster bar (I think? the one about making all bad decisions at once). Sorry my archive-fu is not really up to it today...

It was a combined hair salon/tattoo parlor/plastic surgery/raw seafood bar.

EDIT: and daycare!

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3460
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2020, 18:52 by Farideh »

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2020, 18:41 »

It was a combined hair salon/tattoo parlor/plastic surgery/raw seafood bar.
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3460
You forgot "and daycare".

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2020, 18:49 »

Drat! My mind probably skipped over it in horror :D

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2020, 18:54 »

"I have freed myself from the tyranny of pants!"

:D

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2020, 19:22 »

"I have freed myself from the tyranny of pants!"

:D

Distant ancestor of Cassiopeia Quinn confirmed!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2020, 19:58 »

Down with leg prisons!
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2020, 20:26 »

I wonder if theremins come with a 'do not operate while under the influence of narcotics' warning.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 24 Jun 2020, 20:58 »

I agree, pants suck.  Down with pants!

Not gonna lie, I had to stop and think for a few seconds when they switched back to the coffee shop because I was completely lost.

At least it's not as bad as Dumbing of Age, where IIRC only a month of time has passed in the comic since 2015.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2020, 21:13 by Sorflakne »
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #43 on: 24 Jun 2020, 21:16 »

I wonder if theremins come with a 'do not operate while under the influence of narcotics' warning.

no warning but you'll want to check it for bugs before you leave it in an ambassador's office

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #44 on: 24 Jun 2020, 21:40 »

Nice, I just learned something! :)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 24 Jun 2020, 23:16 »

No, Emily, Bubbles and Faye are just about to go to bed; that isn't the apartment's dress code.

I've got a feeling that things are about to go very, very bizarre for Marten. I'm wondering if he's going to get a repeat of his fathers' wedding when he woke up in the middle of the night with Claire snuggled into his side (the first time, IMO, that he saw her as something other than a friend and coworker) only this time with Claire and Emily.

"So, uh... What happened last night?"

"You and Claire tried to play Boy George's Karma Chameleon on duetting theremins, started giggling and suddenly zonked out. I put you both on my bed to sleep it off and slept on the couch."

"Okay, so why are all three of us on the couch now?"

"Yeah... I was kind of hoping that you'd be able to tell me that."
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #46 on: 25 Jun 2020, 07:00 »

no warning but you'll want to check it for bugs before you leave it in an ambassador's office
Ah an article that I actually understood and went aha and did the math in my head before even getting to the gritty bits  :laugh:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dutchrvl

« Reply #47 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:16 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble telling Dora and Emily apart. I love the comic, but the characters start morphing into each other as time passes. Face shapes are getting very similar, and now haircuts as well.

yup, this is my main criticism really. I love the comic and Jeph has clearly improved a lot over the years in his drawing, yet the style has evolved into one where all cahracetrs facial shapes are almost identical. Just look at today's comic the last panel, all facial shapes are nearly identical.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #48 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:26 »

There is mischief afoot involving multiple theremins. Which still need to be assembled. Or combined into a device of mind-bending awesomeness.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #49 on: 25 Jun 2020, 10:30 »

I read Emily cutting her hair and thought: "Cool.  Now she's going to become a major character."  My prediiction is there will be much crying and moaning as Emily untangles herself from her need for parental approval.

I've got a feeling that things are about to go very, very bizarre for Marten. I'm wondering if he's going to get a repeat of his fathers' wedding when he woke up in the middle of the night with Claire snuggled into his side (the first time, IMO, that he saw her as something other than a friend and coworker) only this time with Claire and Emily.

I'm betting he crashes, then Emily crashes with him, and Claire discovers 3 won't fit in the bed, so she has a snit and sleeps on the couch.  Or with Faye, which causes a snit with Bubbles.  Bonus points if Mrs. Whitaker has to help Faye sort it all out in person.

:-D :-D :roll: :-D :-D
This space intentionally left almost blank.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up