THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4291-4295 (22-26 June 2020)  (Read 12889 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
Re: WCDT strips 4291-4295 (22-26 June 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 25 Jun 2020, 19:12 »

"Emotional Support Square dance"

*lol*

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #51 on: 25 Jun 2020, 19:36 »

There is mischief afoot involving multiple theremins. Which still need to be assembled. Or combined into a device of mind-bending awesomeness.

Old and busted: dueling/harmonizing theremins.

New hotness: paired musical Tesla coils.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #52 on: 25 Jun 2020, 19:57 »

I saw that a couple of weeks ago, and had almost forgotten that it existed.  Thank you for reminding me so that I could download it!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #53 on: 25 Jun 2020, 20:46 »

I love how aware Claire is in this comic. Then again, she has been through something similar, which should help on the understanding/empathy front.

The QC cast in general is very open-minded and accepting, it's an ideal to strive for.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #54 on: 25 Jun 2020, 20:55 »

*lol*
I'm going to have to steal that for twitter at some point.

EDIT: avoiding double posting.

There is mischief afoot involving multiple theremins. Which still need to be assembled. Or combined into a device of mind-bending awesomeness.

Another music entry for my purely hypothetical time-travel shenanigans bucket list.

Other entries include playing Amazing Grace on a yaybahar outside a village nestled in the mountains, and leading a parade on stilts at night with other time-travelers where everybody's got on a big cloak and is carrying a lantern that's burning green.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2020, 21:04 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #55 on: 25 Jun 2020, 21:35 »

Well. That was nice.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #56 on: 25 Jun 2020, 21:58 »

I love how aware Claire is in this comic. Then again, she has been through something similar, which should help on the understanding/empathy front.

The QC cast in general is very open-minded and accepting, it's an ideal to strive for.

Cookie?
Cookie, Definitely.
(Though I'd have to pass, being allergic to cannabis ..)
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 25 Jun 2020, 23:23 »

I'm expecting at some point Claire and Faye to hug. Possibly Faye to tell Claire that it's okay to compare someone else's experience to your own so long as you don't try to make it all about you rather than using the framework of your own experience t understand theirs.

Regarding the Emotional Support Square-dance: I believe that there is a measurable likelihood that these two will go back into the lounge to find Bubbles and Emily demonstrating the moves to Marten. Because Emily really is a force of nature in making everyone participate in her reality.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

APW

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #58 on: 26 Jun 2020, 01:51 »

I kind of empathise with Claire's mum here... Is there any sort of "right" reaction of a parent faced with a revelation like Claire's? "Ah, cool" sounds a tad, I don't know, uncaring? I guess I'd go with "tell me about it" but I would gladly hear some thoughts.

Gyrre

« Reply #59 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:55 »

I kind of empathise with Claire's mum here... Is there any sort of "right" reaction of a parent faced with a revelation like Claire's? "Ah, cool" sounds a tad, I don't know, uncaring? I guess I'd go with "tell me about it" but I would gladly hear some thoughts.

The best I can think of is, "This may take me some time to process and get used to. If I call you the wrong name or mispronoun you, please know it's an accident and I don't mean to hurt you."

That doesn't feel quite enough, though.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #60 on: 26 Jun 2020, 04:33 »

The only real answer the kid probably wants, and the one you need to initially provide as a parent is: "I love you just the way you are."  There's a another, more practical level conversation that still needs to be had, but until this first level is established, the practicals don't much matter.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #61 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:14 »

*lol*
I'm more partial to the emotional support mosh pit, but then, I'm a child of the 80s.

"Get `em up and keep `em up!"
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:24 »

Square dancing is the worst and I hate it with every fibre of my being, but it makes sense as a metaphor in this situation, the constant pointless circling of each other.

*mosh mosh*
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jun 2020, 10:09 »

*nearly launches into lengthy discussion of the differences between traditional square dance and Modern Western Square Dance, but then realizes that this is not the place for it*

Yeah, never let me start talking about one of my hobbies.

*doesn't bring up contra dancing, swing dancing, or Cape Breton squares either*

:-(
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 26 Jun 2020, 11:32 »

*looks around, starts tuning a fiddle*  :roll:
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #65 on: 26 Jun 2020, 14:59 »

"Thank you for telling me this. I love you and will be there for you every step of the way. What do you want to do?"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 26 Jun 2020, 15:05 »

*looks around, starts tuning a fiddle*  :roll:

BTW All of these ideal responses are great, but people who have had given this kind of revelation don't generally get time to step into another room and ponder what the perfect response would be.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #67 on: 26 Jun 2020, 19:03 »

Very true. Maybe the 'ideal' response would be: 'I need some time to digest this, I'll be back in 20 mins'?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jun 2020, 19:09 »

Maybe it's unrealistic to expect an ideal response, and Faye ought to be (and appears to be) happy with the way the conversation went.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jun 2020, 19:58 »

Once Mrs. Whitaker gets to know Bubbles they will be great friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jun 2020, 22:35 »

The best I can think of is, "This may take me some time to process and get used to. If I call you the wrong name or mispronoun you, please know it's an accident and I don't mean to hurt you."

It was enough for me, from my mother.
More than enough. Far more than 90% get.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #71 on: 27 Jun 2020, 10:10 »

It was enough for me, from my mother.
More than enough. Far more than 90% get.

When I came out as Pansexual to my parents, my mom laughed loudly and went "HAHA UR SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO BREAD!"  and then held up her cup and went 'ARE YOU GOING TO BE ATTRACTED TO THIS IF IT HAS A NICE PERSONALITY"

So yeah...that woulda been more than enough for me  ._.;
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #72 on: 27 Jun 2020, 11:12 »

Other entries include playing Amazing Grace on a yaybahar outside a village nestled in the mountains, and leading a parade on stilts at night with other time-travelers where everybody's got on a big cloak and is carrying a lantern that's burning green.
Please don't forget the portable Theremin built into each of the lamps which are "floating" along and the sound systems hidden under the cloaks ... just a sec Checks google ... aha, Piezoelectric Melt-Spun Textile Fibers ..... Cloaks as the sound system.  O0 I'm not mad in the slightest. I quite enjoy my lunacy.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

« Reply #73 on: 27 Jun 2020, 23:23 »

Oh jeez....

ZoeB and Reaver, you have my sympathies.
I was afraid what I came up with came off as less sincere and more virtue-signal-y.
a real-ass gaddam sword

APW

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jun 2020, 15:35 »

BTW All of these ideal responses are great, but people who have had given this kind of revelation don't generally get time to step into another room and ponder what the perfect response would be.

That's why I'm asking, just in case my now-3yo (or any subsequent kids I'll have) would ever happen to give that to me.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:37 »

Now I want to put that into a D&D game.

"The door is guarded by two pillars emitting lightning. They emit odd humming noises, completely unlike lightning or even the crackle of electricity.  It almost sounds like music, but it's a music unlike anything you've heard in any tavern."

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #76 on: 03 Jul 2020, 09:01 »

I still suspect Yay isn't mentioning the millions of datastreams from the Internet of Things (IoT).  Either for reasons of tact, or because that isn't nearly as poetic.
Perhaps Yay aren't aware of any particular datastreams, or even that their perception is based on them. Think of it like how you "see" a 3-dimentional world of persons and things, but not any photons. Even if you know it's just photons in your eyes, how often do you think about photons? Too much photons. Too much datastreams.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up