THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bookshelf of Doom - Which autobiography are you reading?

Espressos and Arc Welders - An Artistic Journey (by Faye Whittaker)
- 2 (5.7%)
Stumbling Upright Somehow (by Marten Reed)
- 2 (5.7%)
The View From the Toybox (by Pintsize)
- 2 (5.7%)
We, Ourselves and Us (by Yay Newfriend)
- 8 (22.9%)
Not All Prisons Are Physical (by Hannelore Elicott-Chatham)
- 9 (25.7%)
The Witch of Northampton (by Dora Bianchi)
- 2 (5.7%)
Bouncing Off the Bottom of Misfortune (by May)
- 1 (2.9%)
Filling the Holes Inside (by Bubbles)
- 2 (5.7%)
Life is Serious Business (by Claire Augustus)
- 1 (2.9%)
I Am Not A Bastard (by Roko Basilisk)
- 6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4296-4300 (29th June to 3rd July 2020)  (Read 17978 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: WCDT strips 4296-4300 (29th June to 3rd July 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:06 »

And some of the sheep.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:44 »

Marten is questioning whether there would have been any new job listings created since the last time Claire checked. Which, if it was at some point during the previous evening, would seem unlikely at 1 am. Claire points out it's afternoon in Australia, meaning that new job postings may have been created there since the last search.
Not that unlikely actually: A lot of ads are created in advance and go online at a specific time&date, which usually is midnight simply because the people entering the ad into the computer doesn't bother to change the default.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2020, 13:09 »

That was a awful pun, Boo. Hiss.  :-D

I must be REALLY thick. I have no idea what you are referring to.

"Some assembly required" changed to "Somnassembly" (literally, 'built whilst sleeping') required".
Oh, that? I thot shanejayell meant something in this thread. "Somnassembly" is FUCKING AWESOME.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jun 2020, 14:42 »

Tbh, I find the fact that there are humans who choose to live with Australian fauna voluntarily a lot scarier than the crocs and the dropbears ...

*cautiously edges towards the exit*

I live with two cats, personally.  :-D

Not that unlikely actually: A lot of ads are created in advance and go online at a specific time&date, which usually is midnight simply because the people entering the ad into the computer doesn't bother to change the default.

Good point!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jun 2020, 18:55 »

New comic!

Morning, Beeps!

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #55 on: 30 Jun 2020, 19:06 »

She can't really gargle mouthwash, so she plays a stock sound effect and just kinda shakes her head around.

Also, it's actually Windex.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jun 2020, 20:03 »

Ha, the first thing I checked in that comic was: "is that REALLY mouthwash, or something else?" :D

Also: morning Beepatrice! I wish I could wake up as happy and motivated as you. My morning exercise consists of ignoring my alarm clock for 30 mins.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2020, 23:24 »

So, Beepatrice joins the large group of QC synthetics who either 'want to be human' on some subconscious level or do human things in human ways, possibly because their environment have taught them to consider it as 'the normal way to do it'. However, for Beeps, I think that the key here is that Roko is very, very anthropomimetic in all of her appearance and behaviour. Remember that Beeps has imprinted on her as a paragon of strength, so maybe she's concluded: "I must act like Roko to be strong; Roko acts very human so I must act very human, no matter how ridiculous it seems!"

Also - T-shirt confirms that Beepatrice is a cat lover. Welcome to the pride, sister!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #58 on: 01 Jul 2020, 01:47 »

I don't know what Roko's going on about, those are all clearly standard diagnostic and care exercises for robot frames. Check to ensure joints continue to operate properly, test watertight integrity, and of course clean out those nooks and crannies where dirt can accumulate.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jul 2020, 03:26 »

It's the funnel-web spiders you've really gotta watch out for. They'll crawl into your underpants and lie in wait for your fleshy bits...
Oh, and sharks.
And snakes.
And....y'know what? Just assume EVERYTHING here wants to eat/kill you. My cat is living proof.

To be fair, there aren't that many things in Australia that want to kill you. I've lived here my whole life, and I haven't had more than - what, about half a dozen encounters with lethal venomous wildlife? - And only a couple of them were likely to actually kill me if they'd bitten me - and I've only been bitten once on the hand by a spider which wasn't that bad as it only left me numb to the shoulder for an hour or so - and stingers at the beach are something you learn to live with - and the inch-ants are quite docile (misnamed really, as they're more like two inches) - and angry bee-swarms  can happen anywhere...
 So, yeah, it's not that bad here:

:evil:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #60 on: 01 Jul 2020, 04:46 »

Ha, the first thing I checked in that comic was: "is that REALLY mouthwash, or something else?" :D

Also: morning Beepatrice! I wish I could wake up as happy and motivated as you. My morning exercise consists of ignoring my alarm clock for 30 mins.

My morning routine consists mostly of ill-tempered guttural grunts and poorly coordinated fumbling in the general direction of the coffee machine.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jul 2020, 05:37 »

• Wake up to meows and claws of hungry cats
  • Stumble downstairs, try not to fall down stairs*
  • Switch on coffee machine (priorities)
  • Feed hungry cats - this involves putting some of the food into a cat puzzle to slow down the dominant cat so he doesn't finish his and then steal the other cat's breakfast
  • Make coffee for partner
  • Play with cats for a bit, give them a final treat
  • Make coffee and breakfast for myself, try not to let cats eat it
  • Glance at news and forums, try not to lose too much hope in humanity**
  • Shower and shave, try not to cut myself***
* If I had to bet on how I'm likely to go, falling down the stairs first thing in the morning would have to be a short-priced favourite.
** I really need to make this step optional
*** Incidentally, typing is hard with a band-aid on your finger****
*** Don't ask
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jul 2020, 09:47 »

It's the funnel-web spiders you've really gotta watch out for. They'll crawl into your underpants and lie in wait for your fleshy bits...
Oh, and sharks.
And snakes.
And....y'know what? Just assume EVERYTHING here wants to eat/kill you. My cat is living proof.

To be fair, there aren't that many things in Australia that want to kill you. I've lived here my whole life, and I haven't had more than - what, about half a dozen encounters with lethal venomous wildlife? - And only a couple of them were likely to actually kill me if they'd bitten me - and I've only been bitten once on the hand by a spider which wasn't that bad as it only left me numb to the shoulder for an hour or so - and stingers at the beach are something you learn to live with - and the inch-ants are quite docile (misnamed really, as they're more like two inches) - and angry bee-swarms  can happen anywhere...
 So, yeah, it's not that bad here:

:evil:
See, when someone in my country has an encounter with deadly venomous wildlife… it’s usually something Australian that hitched a ride here in a cargo container.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jul 2020, 10:31 »

Compare to my experience living in North America my entire life. I’ve had precisely one encounter with potentially deadly wildlife of the nonhuman variety, and the rattlesnake had the courtesy to warn me before I stepped on it. It didn’t want to bite me and I didn’t want to step on it, so there was room for mutual understanding and accommodation.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jul 2020, 19:25 »

Roko, no! Stop channeling Emperor Palpatine! It'll age you prematurely.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #65 on: 01 Jul 2020, 19:44 »

From a writing standpoint, if you had the robots be inhuman/eldrich/etc etc, they'd be unrelatable.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jul 2020, 19:56 »

This may spark some debate, but you don't need to make every character in your writing relatable to every reader.

Gyrre

« Reply #67 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:07 »

So, speaking of endangered animals...

Koalas will be driven to extinction before 2050 in NSW, major inquiry finds

Unsurprisingly, habitat loss is their biggest threat.

Don't most koalas die because they literally can't chew their own food anymore after their teeth naturally wear down?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #68 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:19 »

Roko's sinking a lot of invective into words/insults used against humans. Methinks she might have some bias, if not bigotry, to work through.
Dealing unfeeling bureaucrats and prejudiced humans might have a hand in those feelings forming.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:26 »

I just came here to express my appreciation for "sudokufucker." That's not an insult you hear every day.

Also, I rather like Roku expressing her rage at obstructive, useless bureaucrats.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #70 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:27 »

This may spark some debate, but you don't need to make every character in your writing relatable to every reader.

GASP. Blasphemy! :D

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #71 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:29 »

Yeah, bureaucracy sucks. I just applied for citizenship (in New Zealand), and they'll get back to me in 3 months or so. Honestly, what are they doing in the meantime? Shredding my application and then putting it back together as a team building exercise or something? Or just doing unmentionable things to Sudokus...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 01 Jul 2020, 20:44 »

Hey, we don't approve of kink shaming around here.  8-)

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #73 on: 01 Jul 2020, 21:24 »

Don't most koalas die because they literally can't chew their own food anymore after their teeth naturally wear down?

From what I can find out, the major causes of koala death are the following, more or less in order (sources don't always agree about the order):
- Habitat loss
- Hit by cars
- Disease, particularly a range of conditions caused by chlamydia
- Dog attacks

"Other trauma", "Senescence", "Other disease", and "Undetermined" seem to form the next tier down according to this source at around 2-2.5% each, which was the only one I saw that actually went into the minor causes. (The best other sources I found were QLD Dept. of Environment & Science and Australian Koala Foundation.)

I did find a source that supported your claims at koalainfo.com. However, the quality of writing on this site is poor and there don't appear to be any references on any of their articles, so I'm dubious as to this site's accuracy. I saw one or two other sites that mentioned starvation, but they attributed it to several causes, including disease, habitat loss, climate change (which makes the leaves they eat poorer in nutrients), and koala stress syndrome. This was the only site I saw that claimed starvation was mainly due to old age, so I think this is unlikely to be true.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #74 on: 01 Jul 2020, 21:25 »

Fair enough :)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #75 on: 01 Jul 2020, 21:30 »

I emigrated to Australia in 1968.
We did our bit capturing funnelwebs (Atrax Robustus) from our Sydney garden to be milked for venom.
"Oh, it still has all its legs!" I remember one biologist saying. Many who contributed were none too careful about what condition the arachnid was in when they were turned in.
The antivenom was finally completed in 1981, and since then, no deaths have been recorded from funnelweb bites.

Probably the most danger I was ever in was when snorkelling off the heads between Newport and Bungan beach, came up after a 1.5 minute stay at 5 metres, and heard sirens. Shark alarm. Then put my head underwater and saw a school of bull sharks heading my way. A lifesaver inflateable  boat chased them off while I slowly swam back to shore, trying very hard not to splash around like an injured fish, and ready to punch one in the sensitive nose if it got too close.

The last encounter I had was about 3 weeks ago, cleaning a table from outside. A nest of redbacks. Chemical weapons were employed.

Since 1968, I've had maybe one encounter per year on average. One nasty spider bite (a bird eater, bled a lot), one experience sharing my trousers with a scorpion (not dangerous, just as painful as hornet stings) on an exercise. Numerous bullant stings when clearing out nests, no worse than bee stings. Front end bites and draws blood, rear end stings like a wasp - which they are ancestral to.

The US has bears, gila monsters, mountain lions, alligators, porcupines, rattlesnakes etc too remember?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 01 Jul 2020, 22:35 »

Yeah, bureaucracy sucks. I just applied for citizenship (in New Zealand), and they'll get back to me in 3 months or so. Honestly, what are they doing in the meantime? Shredding my application and then putting it back together as a team building exercise or something? Or just doing unmentionable things to Sudokus...

Only three months? That's half the time you wait here. And I have it from good sources that it only takes a week or so to handle the actual paperwork. Rest of the time, it's just sitting on a desk somewhere.

Then again, I heard stories about people retiring, only for their successor to find a full ten years worth of untreated dossiers.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Otl1973

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 01 Jul 2020, 22:42 »

My brother is currently a Floridian. Apparently walking one's dog (or other pet) can be a trecherous enough afair. I wouldn't want to deal with those crocodiles.

Our crocodiles are pretty harmless (they very much try to avoid people). The alligators - not nearly as much (and there are *way* more of them).   (Though even they rarely are dangerous if you don’t do stupid things.)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 01 Jul 2020, 23:11 »

I think that Yay showing Roko how to access her manual was probably a bad idea. She's now got access to all her user-defined cosmetic functions and has apparently linked them to her emotions. I mean, as much as the glowing red eyes are cool, I'm pretty sure that Beepatrice isn't the only one who finds it unnerving. It also may somewhat undermine Roko's desire to come across as a 'good guy'.

I'm thinking that, whoever Munroe Robotics turn out to be, there is a reason why we haven't heard of them before!

Roko's sinking a lot of invective into words/insults used against humans. Methinks she might have some bias, if not bigotry, to work through.

Nah, she just hates the guy in the probation office who essentially called her a time-waster and an idiot.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2020, 23:33 by BenRG »
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #79 on: 01 Jul 2020, 23:24 »

From what I can find out, the major causes of koala death are the following, more or less in order (sources don't always agree about the order):
- Habitat loss
- Hit by cars
- Disease, particularly a range of conditions caused by chlamydia
- Dog attacks

"Other trauma", "Senescence", "Other disease", and "Undetermined" seem to form the next tier down according to this source at around 2-2.5% each, which was the only one I saw that actually went into the minor causes. (The best other sources I found were QLD Dept. of Environment & Science and Australian Koala Foundation.)

I did find a source that supported your claims at koalainfo.com. However, the quality of writing on this site is poor and there don't appear to be any references on any of their articles, so I'm dubious as to this site's accuracy. I saw one or two other sites that mentioned starvation, but they attributed it to several causes, including disease, habitat loss, climate change (which makes the leaves they eat poorer in nutrients), and koala stress syndrome. This was the only site I saw that claimed starvation was mainly due to old age, so I think this is unlikely to be true.

I just vaguely remembered the thing about koala teeth grinding down. I honestly couldn't tell you where I read/heard it.
a real-ass gaddam sword

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #80 on: 02 Jul 2020, 00:24 »

Nah, she just hates the guy in the probation office who essentially called her a time-waster and an idiot.

to be fair to Roko, it seems to only be directly at that particular guy, who is a total asshat

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 02 Jul 2020, 00:58 »

Funny thing is, if she did go back and say that to him, he'd probably just smile smugly and say, "Great, it's about time you found a market-based solution. Now, if you've finished wasting my time again, I've got a Sudoku puzzle to be getting on with."

fearless_fool

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 02 Jul 2020, 06:43 »

Munroe Robotics: My guess is this is a reference to Randall Munroe's XKCD (another favorite comic strip).  Even if not, I approve!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #83 on: 02 Jul 2020, 07:53 »

I just came here to express my appreciation for "sudokufucker." That's not an insult you hear every day.

Also, I rather like Roku expressing her rage at obstructive, useless bureaucrats.

Leave my sudoku alone!

And we must remember Roko is an ex-cop and has dealt with humanity at its worst.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #84 on: 02 Jul 2020, 08:13 »

Munroe Robotics: My guess is this is a reference to Randall Munroe's XKCD (another favorite comic strip).  Even if not, I approve!
If the robots all turn out to be faceless stick figures, we’ll know for sure.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #85 on: 02 Jul 2020, 12:00 »

I've always been impressed by how expressive Randall Munroe manages to make those stick figures.
Hell, he managed to imbue one of the Mars rovers with pathos.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #86 on: 02 Jul 2020, 14:02 »

Leave my sudoku alone!

And we must remember Roko is an ex-cop and has dealt with humanity at its worst.

... other cops?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 02 Jul 2020, 15:21 »

The system that produces them.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 02 Jul 2020, 17:35 »

One hazard to police attitudes is that going from one 911 call to another gives a sample-biased view of society.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #89 on: 02 Jul 2020, 18:21 »

Roko should talk to Celia, she seems to be the power behind the throne.

Did anyone else do a double-take once they saw Landon? For a second I thought it was Marten with a different hair color.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #90 on: 02 Jul 2020, 18:28 »

Actually Landon looks like he could have been the physical model for Winslow’s current body.

Gyrre

« Reply #91 on: 02 Jul 2020, 19:06 »

Is Femto's body a chassis, a VR avatar, or something else?

EDIT: I wanted a possessive apostrophe, not the letter 'c'. Stupid touchscreen keyboard.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2020, 19:49 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #92 on: 02 Jul 2020, 19:29 »

I get the feeling I'm missing a joke here.

Oh well.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #93 on: 02 Jul 2020, 19:48 »

When all you have is a really BIG hammer.....well, you want to hit something with it.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 02 Jul 2020, 20:47 »

I get the feeling they're in a VR space, given the blank blue setting.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

the silent firefly

• Plantmonster
« Reply #95 on: 02 Jul 2020, 21:16 »

Actually Landon looks like he could have been the physical model for Winslow’s current body.

that's what i was going to say! he looks like a human Winslow

I get the feeling I'm missing a joke here.

Oh well.

it occurs to me like a very appropriate commentary on the current US social situation.

the national discussion is dominated by red herrings, non-sequiturs, and ridiculous "solutions" to problems that few understand.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 02 Jul 2020, 23:08 »

Yeah, Celia is definitely the thinking brain amongst this trio. Landon clearly has not yet got over the Star Wars delusion that it is possible to fix intractable social problems by shooting it with a sufficiently large directed energy weapon whilst Femto... clearly has opted out of traditional aesthetics and possibly traditional forms of communication. If their favourite superhero can say anything just by saying "I am Groot", why can't they do the same? Basically, Femto is only slightly more eccentric than many synthetics we've met so far.

I think that Roko can definitely talk Munroe Robotics into offering a 'release suit' model to the authorities. In the end, the question remains from whence comes the money. Oh, I also think that Landon can get her the arsenal she needs to become the QCverse's answer to The Punisher too.

I get the feeling they're in a VR space, given the blank blue setting.

Yeah, definitely a virtual meeting. This raises the question of whether that's Femto's real chassis or if they just use that form for virtual meetings (it's based on their Second Life avatar) and normally look quite remarkably unremarkable!

I would like to know of what they are 10-15 though...
~~~~

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #97 on: 03 Jul 2020, 00:49 »

I keep trying to map them to stick figures.
I think I've figured out which one is Cueball and which is Megan, but I'm drawing a blank with Femto.

Tova

• coprophage

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #99 on: 03 Jul 2020, 03:59 »

Hi Femto!

... and Celia is not named after a fruit.

Wonder if Munroe Robotics is hiring? Looks like Emily would fit right in.

(edits)
I think the poster yesterday says 'Uncanine Robotic Companion'. Have we seen it before?
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2020, 04:08 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up