... it's a newer model from the same line
... it's a model meant to compete with the original Philomena chassis
... it turns out she sucks at flying
... it can turn into a mini-car and she's offered a job as a racer
... it turns into a small boat or jetski
... it's the same model as CorpseWitch's old chassis
... it's the same model as Milli's
... it's modeled after Sven due to a comedic misunderstanding
... she's now called 'Swearberry' (same chassis as Melon's)
... it's a drider/Jorōgumo style
Sven is not a mooch

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4311-4315 (20-25 July 2020)  (Read 18902 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT strips 4311-4315 (20-25 July 2020)
« on: 19 Jul 2020, 01:51 »

Well, May finally said 'yes' to getting some financial help with obtaining a new chassis. I wonder what hi-jinks may ensue?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT strips 4311-4315 (20-25 July 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2020, 04:54 »

I think that Jeph will find some way to make May's new chassis look like the old one (probably save joint seams and maybe with some mostly-invisible 'optional extras' that can't be seen under normal circumstances but will have at leats one hilarious test run (like Momo's navel being a hidden button that randomises her hair colour). Probably at Emily's hands too!

I'm still hoping that she looks a lot more like her AR avatar form, right down to the less-visible nose and longer hair in a top-knot.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2020, 13:36 »

May has issues with certain, um, features, (or lack thereof) on the AR avatar we met her in.  My guess is that Nu-May will resemble her current self, kind of what we saw with Roko, just so she doesn't have to reintroduce herself to her circle of friends.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2020, 15:29 »

So, May's gonna get a new chassis now, I guess? I guess. How heartwarming, right?

So nice! Yay!

No, not you. Go away.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2020, 16:46 »

*very large donation hits*

"HANNERS."

"I didn't do it! Really!"

Meanwhile....

Sven: "Can I write it off on my taxes?"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2020, 18:26 »

For Beepatrice, it will always be the little things in life :)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2020, 18:38 »

And for the first comic of the week....

Yes, I remember cheques. I also remember how odd it was to watch people in the US paying for groceries using cheques. Um, checks.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2020, 18:54 »

Yes, I remember cheques. I also remember how odd it was to watch people in the US paying for groceries using cheques. Um, checks.

No worries. I'm an American from the Midwest and my brain still insists it should be spelled 'cheques'.
I blame the British-Canadian and the Scottish from my maternal grandma's side.
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:11 »

It's interesting that Hanners, of all people, uses physical checks.

Tho it may be because her family is so high tech. "I KNOW how insecure the system is. Here's some hard currency."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:14 »

Writing a cheque and then scanning it, though? Is that really a thing people do?  :?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:16 »

Yep! A lot of people still use checks, and phone banking apps provide the ability to scan them, to avoid having to take them to the bank.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:27 »

Hang on sec.

Scanning a cheque that you've just received makes some kind of sense to me, because yes, it saves you carting it off to a bank branch.

It's writing a cheque and then immediately scanning it that I'm finding confusing.

Edit: Do people use PayID in the US?

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:32 »

Considering I had to look it up because I had never heard of it, I'll say the answer is no. There is something similar in the U.S. called Zelle, but it isn't all that frequently used.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2020, 19:49 »

I just realised I'm being completely daft. Hanners wrote it and told Beeps that she could scan it... just... I ...

Ignore me.  :roll:

So.. what about other electronic forms of payment? PayPal et al?

Gyrre

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2020, 20:00 »

I just realised I'm being completely daft. Hanners wrote it and told Beeps that she could scan it... just... I ...

Ignore me.  :roll:

So.. what about other electronic forms of payment? PayPal et al?
Pretty much.
It blew my mind the first time I clocked the PayPal logo on a card reader, though. It's been a few years but it's still weird to me.
a real-ass gaddam sword

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2020, 20:19 »

It was weird for me the first time I used Apple Pay at a cashier.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2020, 20:40 »

The first time I used Apple Pay was by accident. I was holding my cell phone at a soda machine as I was looking for change in my pocket without knowing it accepted Apple Pay, and I accidentally put the phone close enough to activate Apple Pay without noticing, and my finger happened to be on the fingerprint scanner at the moment.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2020, 22:00 »

Okay, so my next question...  :-D

If you wanted to pay a friend rather than a business for some reason (say, you're buying something off them)... what form of payment would you use, apart from cash?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2020, 22:27 »

If you wanted to pay a friend rather than a business for some reason (say, you're buying something off them)... what form of payment would you use, apart from cash?

I feel like Venmo could be a good option--that seems to be the preferred method among people I know--but I'm not really the best person to answer this.

Also, because I'm still a high schooler and don't know this stuff yet, what would happen with taxes if you do an official non-business transaction with a friend (such as a donation)?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2020, 22:35 »

I am not an expert, so this will require confirmation, but I believe that nothing at all would happen with your taxes unless you are quite wealthy and generous. You can give gifts up to a threshold tax free.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:15 »

When I first saw this strip on Patreon, I thought about the unlikelihood of the daughter of the God of Synthetics and The Wicked Witch of Corporate America not having access to dozens of electronic payment and donation methods. Then I thought about it and I realised that Hannelore's background and condition probably actually makes having some physical payment method reassuring to her. A kind of symbol of control over her life.

She also strikes me as someone who might be attracted to the romanticism of 'the old way of doing things'.

I am not an expert, so this will require confirmation, but I believe that nothing at all would happen with your taxes unless you are quite wealthy and generous. You can give gifts up to a threshold tax free.

I think that they were referring to the fact that, in the US, significant charitable donation is rewarded with tax credits.
~~~~

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:21 »

and after Beeps goes to the bank, she can drop by the Horrible Revelation and get a sarsparilla while a boy with a small wood box shines her shoes.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2020, 23:27 by St.Clair »

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:22 »

I wonder what will be next? May being unable to transfer out of her current body because she's still on probation?

Bank transfer, or maybe PayPal.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:28 »

I think that they were referring to the fact that, in the US, significant charitable donation is rewarded with tax credits.

Oh. Right. So... probably... the same answer? Nothing at all unless you are quite wealthy and/or generous? I mean, is that relevant to a high school student donating to a friend, I dunno.

awkwardness

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:30 »

Writing a cheque and then scanning it, though? Is that really a thing people do?  :?

It's one of the features of most mobile banking apps...and before you ask, a lot of small charities have to use checks because of legal and accounting issues. Even if you digitize the check, you still have to retain the original for your records

awkwardness

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:34 »

I bet one Loonie that the person paying with a check was an older woman...they were the last stalwarts using checks and the majority of them was due to their banks not offering ATM cards at the time. By the very late 90s the usage was all but ended*

*own shopping experiences and retail family with two sisters who manned registers hours at a time during this transition period

awkwardness

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:38 »

Hang on sec.

Scanning a cheque that you've just received makes some kind of sense to me, because yes, it saves you carting it off to a bank branch.

It's writing a cheque and then immediately scanning it that I'm finding confusing.

Edit: Do people use PayID in the US?

It's simple: it's going from one bank account into a different bank account. there's a strong possibility that someone uses two banks for their accounts, or has one that's a personal account and one that's a joint account. It's not at all odd, I've seen it myself with my cousin doing it with money from her savings account into her husband's savings account

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:44 »

and after Beeps goes to the bank, she can drop by the Horrible Revelation and get a sarsparilla while a boy with a small wood box shines her shoes.

I think that this would make Beepatrice feel guilty. "No, I can do that for you, son!" is a phrase I'd expect to hear.  :wink:
~~~~

awkwardness

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2020, 23:46 »

Oh. Right. So... probably... the same answer? Nothing at all unless you are quite wealthy and/or generous? I mean, is that relevant to a high school student donating to a friend, I dunno.

The threshold is $15,000 to a single person...pretty much the vast majorty aren't required to report it due to being nowhere near the limit. But if you're giving them your vintage car or antique guitar collection you'd be slapped with a tax on it.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:07 »

It's simple: it's going from one bank account into a different bank account.

I do get the whole concept of transferring money from one bank account to another.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 20 Jul 2020, 11:59 »

I suspect Yay will donate as well, I don't believe she put themselves in the poor house when they gave away all that money.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 20 Jul 2020, 12:17 »

Some of us still use checks. :P

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jul 2020, 12:23 »

I still have (part of) the last batch of checks I ordered from my credit union.  The address on them is now about 8 years out of date, and since I'm going through them at a rate of maybe one per year...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #33 on: 20 Jul 2020, 12:40 »

Hmm.  I last wrote two cheques in 2017, one each in 2015 & 2014, two each in 2012 & 2011, eight in 2010, three each in 2009 & 2008.  I doubt I'll ever finish my present cheque-book.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jul 2020, 12:55 »

I had to use checks to pay for my rent in my previous apartment. My current apartment accepts electronic payments.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2020, 13:40 »

The question of taxes might depend on the way the fundraising is set up.  After all, is the money going to May?  Or to the manufacturer of a chassis?  Would taxes kick in only when an AI consciousness inhabits it(takes possession)?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2020, 14:13 »

I don't have them for any of my own accounts, but as treasurer of a local nonprofit, I have to.  Mainly, because the credit union that we use doesn't offer us a bank card.  It's *really* inconvenient having to pay for things off my own card, and then write a cheque for reimbursement.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2020, 18:01 »

Hmm.  I last wrote two cheques in 2017, one each in 2015 & 2014, two each in 2012 & 2011, eight in 2010, three each in 2009 & 2008.  I doubt I'll ever finish my present cheque-book.
I use mine for rent and student loans. And occassionally for my car loan.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2020, 18:21 »

Comic's out!

I do and don't want to know why Pintsize has to go all the way to Canada to find a strip club.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2020, 18:29 »

All the Canadian strippers are not in Canada.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 20 Jul 2020, 18:47 »

Obviously Jeph is celebrating 850 strips since this one.

(click to show/hide)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #41 on: 20 Jul 2020, 19:33 »

I do and don't want to know why Pintsize has to go all the way to Canada to find a strip club.

Clearly he's a robot of taste. ;)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jul 2020, 19:41 »

All the Canadian strippers are not in Canada.
I know what you meant was (where c is a Canadian stripper, and C is "is located in Canada"):
¬∀c: C(c)

but I still managed to read it as:
∀c: ¬C(c)

ANeM

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 20 Jul 2020, 19:59 »

I can't believe Pintsize overlooked the most important benefit of Canadian bills: being made of plastic they won't fall apart if you keep them hidden in the toilet tank.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jul 2020, 20:11 »

Other than the security and accessibility features, sure.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #45 on: 20 Jul 2020, 20:12 »

My wife the linguist was delighted with the train announcement at a stop which said "All doors will not open".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jul 2020, 20:34 »

I wonder if Canadian strippers accept cheques?
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jul 2020, 20:41 »

I can't believe Pintsize overlooked the most important benefit of Canadian bills: being made of plastic they won't fall apart if you keep them hidden in the toilet tank.

Rainbow colored money too.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #48 on: 20 Jul 2020, 21:40 »

"Why is it Canadian Money?"

..B..because you're in Canada...?
 :?
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jul 2020, 22:49 »

They're in Massachusetts.  Jeph moved to Canada; the cast hasn't gone with him yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up