- 1 (2%)
A Billion Samoleans
- 0 (0%)
Sven is Not a Mooch
- 7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: 01 Aug 2020, 18:29

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)  (Read 25496 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)
« on: 25 Jul 2020, 18:29 »

"Is that your final answer?"

Obvious Poll For The Week.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
Re: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2020, 18:58 »

Final total will be $631.25. You heard it here first.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
5E(2--3)$
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2020, 19:58 »

Not at all, Sven mooch.
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2020, 21:47 »

Are you calling me a Sven Mooch? I cannot think of a more grievous insult. :wink:

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2020, 17:57 »

What the hell are YOU staring at?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2020, 18:10 »

I love that strip. Poor May.... "I MIGHT get enough to get a cup of coffee."

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2020, 18:19 »

Kind of a packed strip today!

I don't trust Dora when she says that Tai has her weed problem under control. That doesn't look like "social smoking" to me.

Also, it seems Jeph at least knows about the issue with the similar-looking characters. Personally, I can't see the similarity, but I can see how others could see it, if that makes any sense.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2020, 18:37 »

Dora did say 'mostly socially smoking'. That includes the occasional at-home smoke.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2020, 18:39 »

I like this strip, it's altruism in action. Especially Dora and Tai, rearranging their bachelorette party so they can free up some funds for May. (Side note: since when do people organize their own bachelor/bachelorette parties? Isn't that supposed to be thrown for you?)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2020, 19:01 »

Considering their friends, I'm kinda dubious on them being able to organize a party.

Well, I could see Hanners doing it....

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2020, 19:20 »

Considering their friends, I'm kinda dubious on them being able to organize a party.

Well, I could see Hanners doing it....

Hanners would certainly have the motivation, but it wouldn't be much of a party with all the cleaning and sanitizing that would be going on at the same time.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2020, 19:30 »

Claire has the motivation and the ability. She's even their wedding planner, so a bachelorette party wouldn't be too much fuss for her.

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2020, 20:10 »

I am voting that a rando will up it to $666 in name of getting a chuckle, it might end  over that because another rando had the same idea at the same time.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2020, 20:36 »

As usual, I voted "Other":

We never find out. The only indication we ever get is the reaction from May when she sees the amount donated.
Take your pick on her expression: disbelief (if it's a lot), sardonic or sarcastic (if its not much), a lot of conflicting emotions (when she realizes how much other people think of her), etc.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2020, 20:39 »

IMO, she will:
Get enough to buy, new and cash up front, at least a basic chassis.
Be totally unprepared for that, emotionally and otherwise.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2020, 21:59 »

As usual, I voted "Other":

We never find out. The only indication we ever get is the reaction from May when she sees the amount donated.
Take your pick on her expression: disbelief (if it's a lot), sardonic or sarcastic (if its not much), a lot of conflicting emotions (when she realizes how much other people think of her), etc.

Based on her expectations in this strip, I'd say that we have literally a zero percent chance of her reacting as if the amount is unexpectedly small. Frankly, just based on how her character has reacted to literally anyone reaching out in any way in the past, I don't think a response like that was ever in the cards regardless.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2020, 22:27 »

I am voting that a rando will up it to $666 in name of getting a chuckle, it might end  over that because another rando had the same idea at the same time.
Reminds me in economics class we played this game that everyone chooses a number between 0 and 100 and whoever got closest to 2/3 the average wins a chocolate bar. There's always an idiot who'll choose 100 or something way too big, and then there are the geniuses that choose 0. Some people hear "average" and choose the straight average, forgetting the part about 2/3. Most people outsmart the straight averagers by thinking one step ahead, choosing 33 (50 2/3). The point of the game is that, in the real world, thinking more than 2 steps ahead is dangerous. The second time we played, the winners chose 15. Legend has it one class all chose 0 and the students did a sit-in until the professor gave them their chocolate. Since then, whenever a winner complaints his chocolate expired, the professor retorts "caveat lusor".
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2020, 22:35 »

Reminds me in economics class we played this game that everyone chooses a number between 0 and 100 and whoever got closest to 2/3 the average wins a chocolate bar. There's always an idiot who'll choose 100 or something way too big, and then there are the geniuses that choose 0. Some people hear "average" and choose the straight average, forgetting the part about 2/3. Most people outsmart the straight averagers by thinking one step ahead, choosing 33 (50 2/3). The point of the game is that, in the real world, thinking more than 2 steps ahead is dangerous. The second time we played, the winners chose 15. Legend has it one class all chose 0 and the students did a sit-in until the professor gave them their chocolate. Since then, whenever a winner complaints his chocolate expired, the professor retorts "caveat lusor".

I've heard of this before.

Thus, 0 would be the Nash equilibrium because no player has an incentive to change their choice.

Edit: rephrasing
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2020, 12:00 by Gnabberwocky »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2020, 00:06 »

I think that May is coming up for a serious journey of self-discovery. Why is it that everyone values her far more than she thought? Why would they do this for her? Who is she that they would do this for her? I've posted this before but I'm expecting her to repeat that lovely phrase: "I want to cry but I don't have any tear-ducts!" Possibly followed by Momo offering her the squirt bottle of solution that she uses to allow herself to simulate crying.

Bubbles has figured that May has been through a lot of serious disappointments in her life and, thus, doesn't expect much to come of this. She's been there herself and she was glad to be wrong. However, I think that she knows the other woman that May is likely to respond a lot more strongly to the revelation.

Wow... This is the first time we've seen Jeremy in a long while and we get confirmation that the Ultimate Robot Fighting League is now in operation. I've no doubt that he'd be cool with Bubbles and Faye taking bits from the maintenance rooms at cost to build May a new body if it comes to that! I also think that his reply to Faye was something like this: "Oh, I know what you mean; we all were expecting it for some time. Can you localise the time and place you were first sexually intimate down to the nearest minute and square metre? There is a world-wide betting pool to resolve."

Oh, for some reason, I think that Faye is already designing in her had a wrestling costume for Bubbles. Perhaps she can be El Gran Queso?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2020, 00:15 »

Honestly for Jeph's post I'd say Sven looks a lot more like Angus than Marten. Just have Sven start wearing his glasses again and Sven would like exactly like Angus.

Guess Faye has a type.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2020, 06:01 »

I like this strip, it's altruism in action. Especially Dora and Tai, rearranging their bachelorette party so they can free up some funds for May. (Side note: since when do people organize their own bachelor/bachelorette parties? Isn't that supposed to be thrown for you?)

I imagine you'd have to be a real piece of work to ignore input from the bridal party vis-à-vis things like "Let's keep it local and put the money we were socking away to pay to transport everyone towards something else."
Just going through life.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2020, 06:32 »

Honestly for Jeph's post I'd say Sven looks a lot more like Angus than Marten. Just have Sven start wearing his glasses again and Sven would like exactly like Angus.

Guess Faye has a type.

Sven's hair is a bit shaggier since he's growing it out again I guess? Also glasses make a huge difference. Plus the fact that May didn't even recognise Sven with short hair should count for something.
Also, we all have a type I guess :P

[snip]
Oh, for some reason, I think that Faye is already designing in her had a wrestling costume for Bubbles. Perhaps she can be El Gran Queso?

The Great Cheese?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

dutchrvl

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2020, 06:58 »

I dunno about the US/Canada, but in my family/friends environment it has become increasingly common for the bride and groom to have considerable input when it comes to their bachelor/bachelorette parties, especialy when it comes to wishes like keeping it local, not doing certain things they're just not comfortable with, and/or having it on the same night as their s.o. For example, when my sister got married the gangs for both parties would meet at their placebefore heading out for the respective parties, and would meet again at their place at like 4 AM before heading home.

In this case, the unusual part to me is the implication that Dora and Ta are paying for their own bachelorette parties(?), because that's something I haven't heard off before. Unless the implication is that they're asking their loved ones to keep it local and donate the difference to May's cause.

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2020, 09:00 »

I think we're gonna see May cry with happiness, I don't really care the amount but I think she's going to get a decent body and cry because she realises - she has friends, and people care. And nobody's ever really cared about her before.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2020, 10:07 »

[snip]
Oh, for some reason, I think that Faye is already designing in her had a wrestling costume for Bubbles. Perhaps she can be El Gran Queso.

The Great Cheese?

I was going for 'The Big Cheese' but was handicapped by having only Google Translate.
~~~~

Datalore

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2020, 10:25 »

Man I was so anxious when May agreed to crowdfund. I relate a lot to her and it was gut wrenching to see her have to accept something she so clearly felt uncomfortable with. I come from a very "suck it up, buttercup" family where even things like financial ruin and homelessness are met with things like "What are you going to do to fix that for yourself? I don't want to hear/don't talk to me about your problems unless you're doing something about them." (With the strongly established boundary that you don't ask for handouts from others to fix your own mess, because everyone has problems and no one has room for yours too.) I'm not around my family anymore, but man has that caused a lot of challenges in adulthood, especially in the workplace. Learning not only to ask for help, but also how and when is still so friggin rocky for me. I never want to overstep and risk permanent damage to my relationships, platonic or professional or otherwise, but I have virtually 0 scale for what that even looks like. Even accepting offered help is hard for me, because I think I always expect there to be strings attached, or for peoples opinions of me to drop if I were to actually accept. Anxiety incarnate. So seeing May kind of run out of options hit so close to home and that was hard to read.

But today's strip made me want to cry, because while I've been on the fundraising side for others before, I never really connected the two and two together that this is what it could look like behind the scenes for helping 'damaged' people, too. Like, the experience of friends and family networking together and reaching out to their circles to make something happen isn't limited to just being for individuals who are chipper and sunny and know exactly how to accept help without being 'too much,' and who are all around well balanced and established and connected to communities that [seem to] have valued them their whole life). Helping someone like May doesn't have to be a begrudging act of annoying inconvenience done just because "If you don't pitch in $2-5 you're an asshole, so just do it to say you did."

Obviously this case is fiction, but I never really thought of the two worlds being the same as even possible. People care about pinnacles to their community, but nobody cares about people like me and May, and that was just my underlying assumption that I didn't even realize I had. Today's strip in particular has given me a lot to process and think about.

somnolesence

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2020, 11:12 »

I dunno about the US/Canada, but in my family/friends environment it has become increasingly common for the bride and groom to have considerable input when it comes to their bachelor/bachelorette parties, especially when it comes to wishes like keeping it local, not doing certain things they're just not comfortable with, and/or having it on the same night as their s.o.

Yeah same for me, for my friends this year we've had joint parties since there wasn't any point splitting up the friend group when we're all happy for both and want to celebrate with both. It's primarily paid for by them and us chipping in accommodation costs for the nights at the lodge (and obviously whatever booze we want to bring with). That's been similar for others in the group, but then again we aren't particularity traditional folk, at least not for the sake of it alone.

Plus the wedding and events around it are for the people getting married, who cares what others want because they chipped in a few hundred/thousand, its not their day. At the end of the day you should just be happy for the couple and if you want to offer financial gift then that should be all it is, a gift, not buying a controlling share in a business with veto rights.

OK rant over. Just something that annoys me is controlling parents/family wanting a say in big events just because of money, comes from my mum having dealt with wedding stationary orders and the clients telling her about their troubles with in laws etc.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2020, 14:11 »

Man I was so anxious when May agreed to crowdfund. I relate a lot to her and it was gut wrenching to see her have to accept something she so clearly felt uncomfortable with. I come from a very "suck it up, buttercup" family where even things like financial ruin and homelessness are met with things like "What are you going to do to fix that for yourself? I don't want to hear/don't talk to me about your problems unless you're doing something about them."

Aah, my family is keeping me off the streets, but it comes with a healthy side of walking on eggshells, as well as direct verbal and emotional abuse.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2020, 15:37 »

Man I was so anxious when May agreed to crowdfund. I relate a lot to her and it was gut wrenching to see her have to accept something she so clearly felt uncomfortable with. I come from a very "suck it up, buttercup" family where even things like financial ruin and homelessness are met with things like "What are you going to do to fix that for yourself? I don't want to hear/don't talk to me about your problems unless you're doing something about them." (With the strongly established boundary that you don't ask for handouts from others to fix your own mess, because everyone has problems and no one has room for yours too.) I'm not around my family anymore, but man has that caused a lot of challenges in adulthood, especially in the workplace. Learning not only to ask for help, but also how and when is still so friggin rocky for me. I never want to overstep and risk permanent damage to my relationships, platonic or professional or otherwise, but I have virtually 0 scale for what that even looks like. Even accepting offered help is hard for me, because I think I always expect there to be strings attached, or for peoples opinions of me to drop if I were to actually accept. Anxiety incarnate. So seeing May kind of run out of options hit so close to home and that was hard to read.
I'm very against asking for help---I take it quickly, easily, preferably with no take backs when it's offered (the way I see it, if they didn't really want to help, they shouldn't make the mistake of offering; if they didn't explicitly specify beforehand what exactly strings are attached, then there's no reason they should expect me to accept any strings that they think were attached.)---but sometimes, even though it might look like asking for help, it's really not. For example, at work, if I don't know how to do something, it's imperative I don't try to do it myself, because, in my experience talking to customer service, many problems are caused by a person inability to do his job fulfilling the task, i.e. reading through the company's documentation to figure out how to do it himself or working with someone who knows how to do it. Of course, if it's explicitly part of my job description, then obviously I have to do it, and not rely on someone else, but there are still edge cases that might need to be discussed with colleagues.
However, I'm not against offering help. After all, my easily accepting help makes me interested in fostering a culture of offering help.

Obviously this case is fiction, but I never really thought of the two worlds being the same as even possible. People care about pinnacles to their community, but nobody cares about people like me and May, and that was just my underlying assumption that I didn't even realize I had. Today's strip in particular has given me a lot to process and think about.
How realistic/practical would it be for people to pitch in for the "nobodies"? I bet there's a pretty steep triage, where if your problems aren't severe enough, you'll be classed as not needing immediate attention, and subsequently never get any attention.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Datalore

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2020, 18:03 »

How realistic/practical would it be for people to pitch in for the "nobodies"? I bet there's a pretty steep triage, where if your problems aren't severe enough, you'll be classed as not needing immediate attention, and subsequently never get any attention.

I feel like it could be feasible on the local community level, but you need local community involvement. Without some sort of community involvement most broad sweeping efforts are doomed to fall flat, because it takes more than just cash to help people in meaningful ways. They need to know there's a place for them, and that there's at least some level of investment in their success, and also them as individual persons.

Re: the severity aspect... yeah, pretty much. My mom had me out of wedlock and was ostracized from her family for a while for it. For the first three/four years of my life we lived out of her car or couch surfed. I feel like people go by likely ROI when they decide who to help. Someone who was a firefighter who volunteered in their spare time and donated every chance they could who becomes homeless will likely have a lot more support thrown their way than someone who was literally born into homelessness. I'm not criticizing that. I get it. Resources are finite, emotional bandwidth is finite, you can't help everybody. (Also, it's hard to argue against it when it feels like a selfish gesture on my part to do so.) The firefighter has proven themselves as someone who can stand on their own two feet. The young mother sleeping in parking lots has proven (at least, at a glance) that they make poor decisions to the point they destroyed their life before it'd even started, and it's not hard to write off any kids she might have with her in that situation as a social lost cause too.

It's more that this comic has forced me to reconcile with some of the ways being brought up that way's effected me so I can continue recovering from it and becoming more the person I want to be. My mom was working as a full time public school teacher and taking out loans to go to college to finish her Masters while we were homeless so she could teach university and get us on our feet long term. This was WA in the 90s, when k-12 teachers qualified for government assistance because their salaries were so low. We both collectively clawed our way out over the years, and it's only now when I'm 27 that we both feel like we might actually be okay. Even after all of that work though, there's still things like this that pop up and catch me off guard. She has her bad habits from that upbringing too. Even now when it feels like we've made it, it can sometimes feel like we're still chained back to that place by way of our biases, world views, and unchecked assumptions about ourselves. I don't condemn the system for being what it is. I just accept it and subconsciously spin a narrative in my head to give reason and meaning to it, to justify it since I don't feel like I can change it. If it has meaning, it's somehow better. "People like us don't get help because <totally valid reason>." But then things like this happen, where even though I've raised money to help other "social lost causes" and I've seen first hand how people come together to help even those cases, I still never actually made the connection that that could happen for me. Even though I have friends and found family who I believe would be there if I needed, I've just unwittingly assumed that the laws of my youth were still in place -- that if you need help, you've done something wrong and it's completely on you yourself to fix that. It was something I just never remembered until now to go back and have a think on. May's line about dreaming about what she would do if she got $25 is still very true to my own way of thinking, despite a lifetime of effort to correct those thought habits one piece at a time. I was surprised to be reminded that that's actually all I would dare hope for too if I were in her seat, even now.

I love what you said about asking for help in the work place. I still need to remember to catch myself, but when I do I try to make a point of remembering that and talking it through in my head. I'm hired to do a job, and if I need an additional piece of information to do it well, it's quicker and potentially much less damaging to ask someone who would know than it would be for me to try and scour the internet or something to cook up my own solution. Not everything is that cut and dry obviously, but baggage isn't something you just unpack once and call good. It's a process. Sometimes it takes a rando page from a webcomic to resume forward progress on an otherwise forgotten (but still present) cognitive distortion.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2020, 18:24 »

I feel like it could be feasible on the local community level, but you need local community involvement. Without some sort of community involvement most broad sweeping efforts are doomed to fall flat, because it takes more than just cash to help people in meaningful ways. They need to know there's a place for them, and that there's at least some level of investment in their success, and also them as individual persons.

[huge cut to save space]

I love what you said about asking for help in the work place. I still need to remember to catch myself, but when I do I try to make a point of remembering that and talking it through in my head. I'm hired to do a job, and if I need an additional piece of information to do it well, it's quicker and potentially much less damaging to ask someone who would know than it would be for me to try and scour the internet or something to cook up my own solution. Not everything is that cut and dry obviously, but baggage isn't something you just unpack once and call good. It's a process. Sometimes it takes a rando page from a webcomic to resume forward progress on an otherwise forgotten (but still present) cognitive distortion.

That's quite a story! I'm sorry you and your mom had to go through that. You've given me a lot to think about.

Also, comic's out, and the terrifying sixth sense of the forum members strikes again. Seriously, how do you guys know what's going to happen every single time?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2020, 19:34 »

Oh May <hug>

Fingers crossed she didn't accidentally look at the fundraiser website with the wrong currency selected..

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:07 »

Awwww.

Betcha Jeph never actually SAYS how much money is in there. Just enough for the new body and some add ons.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:11 »

I think that May is coming up for a serious journey of self-discovery. Why is it that everyone values her far more than she thought? Why would they do this for her? Who is she that they would do this for her? I've posted this before but I'm expecting her to repeat that lovely phrase: "I want to cry but I don't have any tear-ducts!" Possibly followed by Momo offering her the squirt bottle of solution that she uses to allow herself to simulate crying.

Because in this comic you can be as unpleasant as you like to people and instead of people not wanting to have anything to do with you (see Faye) as they would normally they seem to go out of their way to want to befriend unpleasant people

Or not

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:19 »

Because in this comic you can be as unpleasant as you like to people and instead of people not wanting to have anything to do with you (see Faye) as they would normally they seem to go out of their way to want to befriend unpleasant people

Or not

People who have been hurt (Faye via trauma and May via poor choices/jail) can develop hard outsides that hide a soft inside. Which Faye had demonstrated more than once. Admittedly May less so... but I like scrapy types anyway.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:37 »

I didn't recognize Marigold at first.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:40 »

i have little to add to any discussion about the current comic, and haven't read the thread. i'm tired.

but it occurred to me what we need. Desperately.

clinton in a maid outfit

yes i know i'm probably really late on this

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:41 »

People who have been hurt (Faye via trauma and May via poor choices/jail) can develop hard outsides that hide a soft inside. Which Faye had demonstrated more than once. Admittedly May less so... but I like scrapy types anyway.

Not saying I don't understand why Faye acts the way she does (though probably a small part of her actually enjoys it) but more how the other main characters in this strip just accept whatever abuse is given to them and are ok with it

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:44 »

Guess Faye has a type.
Angus is a bit stockier. So not quite.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jul 2020, 21:31 »

Not saying I don't understand why Faye acts the way she does (though probably a small part of her actually enjoys it) but more how the other main characters in this strip just accept whatever abuse is given to them and are ok with it

Yeah this I can agree with lol! If I were in a desparate situation where I needed help from my friends and I had a history of insulting/yelling at them/calling them names with every breath, I don't think they'd be nearly as generous to do whatever they could to help me.

May is a piece of work, I wouldn't call her scrappy, I'd say everyone else is just more a nice person as to not drop someone who is in need of help...even if they're a pretty abrasive, rude , insulting thing that pays kindness with scoffs and  "Fuck yous" because once in a blue moon, if the tide is juust right...she can be a little nice kinda.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jul 2020, 21:32 »

Do they, though? I can remember plenty of instances where characters have acted like jerks and were called out on it. While it does seem that many of the QC denizens are quite understanding of certain people's prickly demeanors, they aren't doormats either. (Except for in the beginning, when Marten was waaaay too accepting of Faye's punches).
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2020, 00:30 by Farideh »

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2020, 22:27 »

Do they, though? I can remember plenty of instances where characters have acted like jerks and were called out on it. While it does seem that many of the QC denizens are quite understanding of certain people's prickly demeanors, they aren't doormats either. (Except for in the beginning, when Marten was waaaay to accepting of Faye's punches).

Most of the characters are fairly good at recognizing when their prickly friends are too out of line--for example, Faye was simply being a jerk and Dora shut her down. I think it's fair to say that often what seems like an abrasive comment turns out to be a friendly joke.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2020, 23:27 »

Tuesday's strip is where May learns that she has true friends after all. I'm expecting a breakdown of sorts because I doubt that she's ever considered herself worthy. This, by the way is why she's so prickly. You can't be hurt by friends if you have no friends, so she tries to drive everyone away. However, we see the essential punky but kind girl when she's unguarded or caught unawares.
~~~~

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2020, 23:46 »

Do they, though? I can remember plenty of instances where characters have acted like jerks and were called out on it. While it does seem that many of the QC denizens are quite understanding of certain people's prickly demeanors, they aren't doormats either. (Except for in the beginning, when Marten was waaaay to accepting of Faye's punches).

Well lets face it Marten is the comics punching bag. Remember Bubbles first interactions with Marten as an example but one really uncomfortable strip was way back when Marten was seeing someone (can't remember her name) and then she was going to leave and she basically ghosted him then just before she was due to leave she contacts him and he (not unreasonably) wants nothing to do with her so Faye smacks him upside the head and essentially gives him the message that no matter what a girl does to him its ok and that he should always forgive them though to be fair it was a time ago so I may not be remembering it correctly but it always struck me as a really bad message, that basically Marten is not allowed to be angry especially with a girl

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jul 2020, 00:12 »

I didn't recognize Marigold at first.

She's just Faye with different hair now.

Apparently Jeph has a type, too. Or at least two...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jul 2020, 00:22 »

I wouldn't say that's fair, exactly: the hair's different, and so is her nose, and mouth/expression. Her moles are not shown here, as they're on the other side of her face, as you can see on the last comic she was in, 4313. Especially in full profile, the differences are obvious.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #46 on: 28 Jul 2020, 00:24 »

Well lets face it Marten is the comics punching bag. Remember Bubbles first interactions with Marten as an example but one really uncomfortable strip was way back when Marten was seeing someone (can't remember her name) and then she was going to leave and she basically ghosted him then just before she was due to leave she contacts him and he (not unreasonably) wants nothing to do with her so Faye smacks him upside the head and essentially gives him the message that no matter what a girl does to him its ok and that he should always forgive them though to be fair it was a time ago so I may not be remembering it correctly but it always struck me as a really bad message, that basically Marten is not allowed to be angry especially with a girl

I assume you mean this strip? I never interpreted that as 'Marten is not allowed to be angry', but more as 'you cannot complain that life is passing you by when you do not make an effort to make things happen'.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #47 on: 28 Jul 2020, 01:32 »

I assume you mean this strip? I never interpreted that as 'Marten is not allowed to be angry', but more as 'you cannot complain that life is passing you by when you do not make an effort to make things happen'.

(Thanks for that)

In this instance Marten was justified in being angry in that he did everything right and he still got shafted. He left messages for her, didn't stalk her or make it weird and got nothing and then when she decided she wanted to see him the night before she left Marten did the right thing by not allowing himself to get even more hurt then he already was.

Fayes response to all this is to call him an asshole. Yeah good one Faye, Padma ghosts him and then you rip on him as well but its ok because shes telling him what he needs to hear...no what he needed was some support, someone to tell him yeah she was a b**ch and its not your fault but instead because a girl wanted to see him Marten should have dropped everything and gone rushing over

No, this was a bad storyline with bad messaging

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #48 on: 28 Jul 2020, 02:09 »

Let's agree to disagree on that one 😊

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #49 on: 28 Jul 2020, 04:04 »

I assume it will be huge amount, maybe 6 figures.  May is a couple of degrees of separation from two very rich and powerful Artificial Intelligences who have absolutely no real concept of money, and no concept of small actions.

Yay gave away $2 billion dollars on a whim, and then made it sound easy to re-earn it... so what can she output in a week. She may be promising to not interfere with Roko but even if she tries to do "small donation" she might end up donating a six figure sum as a small donation.

Station is worth about 605 million dollars in Ellicott-Chatham Technologies shares alone and he thought $4.6 million dollars was a good "apology"... what would he do if he was asked by Hannelore to donate, or if he felt the need to apologise for Hannelore's dad jumping focus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up