- 1 (2%)
A Billion Samoleans
- 0 (0%)
Sven is Not a Mooch
- 7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: 01 Aug 2020, 18:29

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)  (Read 25489 times)

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)
« Reply #150 on: 30 Jul 2020, 19:10 »

I think there needs to be a heart-to-heart between May and Marigold, to help them both understand where these feelings come from.

May's got some deep-seated issues here that need to be worked out, and often the first step towards getting the right help is talking about it to a friend.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #151 on: 30 Jul 2020, 20:21 »

New comic!

Her heart grew two sizes, eh? Sounds like it was a crucial valve or pump. Her trip to the chassis store just became all the more urgent.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #152 on: 30 Jul 2020, 20:22 »

Momo, it seems, DOES have tear ducts.
Marbear didn't skimp on her model.
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #153 on: 30 Jul 2020, 21:22 »

Now taking bets: It was May's left buttcheek that fell off.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #154 on: 30 Jul 2020, 21:36 »

I'll put five dollars on that.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #155 on: 30 Jul 2020, 21:39 »

I'm guessing it was one of her boobs.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #156 on: 30 Jul 2020, 22:22 »

I completely sympathise with May.

I've made bad choices in the past, and have spent a long time with toxic people that ensure I don't forget them, and you honestly end up living in constant guilt and regret.

You come to accept your lot, even if its terrible, because you believe it's what you deserve.
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #157 on: 30 Jul 2020, 23:10 »

For comic #4320...

1. May's Reaction...  For those that may not fully understand, May's rejective-reaction ("I don't deserve it!") stems from that she is overwhelmed by the outpouring of charitable generosity shown towards her.  May has a low opinion of herself, not just due to her Convicted Criminal status, but also from her abrasive personality (of which she is self-aware of, at least).  May believes most people do not actually/genuinely like her (4106).

2. Momo's Reaction... The counter-balance is that May cannot afford (figuratively and literally) to reject the funding, as her body-situation has reached its tipping point to critical need; unless May is willing to live digitally (bodiless), which is highly unlikely.  And Momo is correct, May has served her time, and followed the rules post-release, only to be left twisting in the wind/dust by 'The Bureaucracy.'  To reject the funding now is not only wasteful to May's need (if not hazardous to May's techno-health), but also borders on being insultive to her friends' efforts.

3. What would I do with May's funding? ~ On the assumption that the funds raised are indeed shockingly high enough to purchase a completely new human-chassis, rather than a used (or refurbished) one...
 - a.) Model Grade/Quality ~ I would NOT "splurge" to purchase a 'cutting edge' &/or fancy model (as with Roko's replacement human-chassis); however, I would invest in an above-average/higher-grade model (whatever that may be in the QC-'verse), something that I know would last a good long while in terms of quality and (en)durability of technology/materials/construction.  The purpose for not "splurging" solely upon a new human-chassis is also to conserve funds for the following reasons below...

- b.) Warranties ~ We know (canonically) that robots' human-chassis have warranty & insurance coverage(s).  I would set aside a considerably large portion of the funding (upwards to half) to invest in a FULL Warranty coverage/package, and even an Extended Warranty if available.  This would be also be appropriate in story-symmetry to what started May's body-deteriorating problems in the first place (3169).

- c.) Long-Term Outlook(s) ~ Finally, I would set aside any remaining funding to invest in an interest-bearing savings account (or equivalent); for maintenance, repair, or unforeseen costs.

- d.) Or, Donation? ~ Alternatively for any remaining funds, I would probably donate the rest towards the A.I. Rights NPO (Non-Profit Organization), to show appreciation, gratitude, and support towards Roko and her own on-going efforts.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2020, 02:25 by pendrake »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #158 on: 30 Jul 2020, 23:29 »

Okay, so I'm thinking that May's current chassis is done with standing upright without some kind of support. It's comedic but Jeph has done a good job to emphasise that time has run out and May needs a new(er) chassis now, otherwise she's going to be disabled for a while!

We're definitely going to get the new chassis selection and transfer sequence at some point next week. Heck, May even have a cathartic hallucination sequence of some kind whilst on standby during the transfer! The first thing she says when she reboots will be to tell Faye and Bubbles that her old chassis is an awful person and she's glad to be out of her!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #159 on: 30 Jul 2020, 23:55 »

While I'm ok with it all working out for May I admit to some (ok a fair bit of) negativity to her because, as a corrections officer, I can well imagine exactly what type of prisoner she would have been and just how aggravating she would have been to deal with

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #160 on: 31 Jul 2020, 00:37 »

That is understandable, but I do wonder just how much May actually interacted with corrections officers during her time in robot jail. Because my vague impression/recollection was that she was essentially sitting on a server (no chassis) and was essentially isolated. But I could be wrong about that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #161 on: 31 Jul 2020, 01:01 »

That is understandable, but I do wonder just how much May actually interacted with corrections officers during her time in robot jail. Because my vague impression/recollection was that she was essentially sitting on a server (no chassis) and was essentially isolated. But I could be wrong about that.

That sounds fantastic

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #162 on: 31 Jul 2020, 01:26 »

In this strip, she mentions running out of a box in robot jail.

I sincerely hope that a new chassis won't change May's personality - personally I quite like her. Having a body that doesn't constantly run the risk of falling apart might mellow her a bit, though. 
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2020, 18:34 by Farideh »
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gyrre

« Reply #163 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:00 »

That sounds fantastic
I'm sure all the incredibly negative effects solitary isolation has on the human psyche has already been talked about at length and in detail over in the DISCUSS forums. So I won't mention them here.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #164 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:11 »

That might be the most outwardly kind and honest reaction we've seen from May. Is that a permanent change to her personality, do you think, or will she go back to being prickly after she gets the new body?

(I know lots of people were frustrated with the hate May was getting, so I just want to clarify there's no shame in that. She can act however she wants to/is compelled to.)
It will likely be a process. Learning to accept one's own self worth can be very difficult for some folks. Especially with certain sets of circumstances.
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #165 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:32 »

POP
It has to be her butt,right?
This is Jeph's comic, after all  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #166 on: 31 Jul 2020, 03:44 »

My bet is: butt caved in.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #167 on: 31 Jul 2020, 04:36 »

Awwwww, I have the warm fuzzies now <3

And I'm gonna say something came loose internally and will now rattle around inside her butt as she walks. Covering all the butt bases.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #168 on: 31 Jul 2020, 05:09 »

I'd like it if May's chassis is one of the few of that model in anything resembling its original construction state. This is only because it's been left unserviced or inadequately serviced for so long and it thus has most of its original components still. When word gets out just what this chassis is, a collector (either institutional or private) comes forward and asks to purchase the chassis once she's done with it. This adds even more money to the pot. However, May notes that she is far more touched by the irony that the 'junker' that had been virtually her second prison is actually a valuable antique!

She adds that she will never go to the museum to see it. "A bit too weird to see my own naked, mounted corpse propped up in a display case for the education and edification of generations to come!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #169 on: 31 Jul 2020, 05:19 »

My favoured idea is for May's chassis to go into an uncontrolled downward spiral that forces Faye and Bubbles to shut her down before the chassis failures imperil the stability of her AI drive.. Because of that (and the fact that, whilst there is money, there isn't enough for a 'buyer's choice' scenario) means that May doesn't fully know what her new body looks like until she wakes up in it. That way, Jeph can keep it as a surprise from us too.

You assume that expensive static memory was used instead of the cheapest possible dynamic, or that a high quality battery was used to keep the dynamic memory refreshed.

The wrong kind of "POP!" from one of the components means no restart of the AI drive once power is drained.. and no way to stop the drain.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #170 on: 31 Jul 2020, 06:18 »

I'd like it if May's chassis is one of the few of that model in anything resembling its original construction state. This is only because it's been left unserviced or inadequately serviced for so long and it thus has most of its original components still. When word gets out just what this chassis is, a collector (either institutional or private) comes forward and asks to purchase the chassis once she's done with it. This adds even more money to the pot. However, May notes that she is far more touched by the irony that the 'junker' that had been virtually her second prison is actually a valuable antique!

She adds that she will never go to the museum to see it. "A bit too weird to see my own naked, mounted corpse propped up in a display case for the education and edification of generations to come!"
A collectable antique is a '54 Corvette, not a '78 Chevette, and May's chassis is the Chevette. In fact, in the profile comic that Jeph made about May, it refers to the name of her chassis as ReformChassis, which suggests it was originally designed to be used for former prisoners.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #171 on: 31 Jul 2020, 08:24 »

I dunno, they have Yugos and Trabants in museums.  :-D

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gyrre

« Reply #172 on: 31 Jul 2020, 08:45 »

Do the plaques read: "This is how to NOT make a car."

EDIT: typo fix, 'car' not 'care'
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2020, 10:09 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #173 on: 31 Jul 2020, 09:17 »

I predict that May will be insufferably giddy for a week (see Charlotte) before finding new stuff to snark about.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #174 on: 31 Jul 2020, 09:36 »

Well, yeah. They're rare, because the factory was so inefficient they only made a dozen of them to begin with. :-D

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #175 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:14 »

I am not sure what emotion I am feeling most strongly now.  It is between impressed seeing Momo get so worked up about something and coming out of her shell, or annoyed at May for getting Momo so upset she felt the need to manifest her dark side electric zappy powers.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #176 on: 31 Jul 2020, 13:55 »

yes, let's be annoyed at the person with tragically low self-esteem for being incredulous about her own worth, that seems like a reasonable reaction.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #177 on: 31 Jul 2020, 15:06 »

At one point I predicted that through happenstance May would get a refurbished "Companion" chassis.

My only update to that is that she would go Borg Queen where her penal chassis just fell apart reducing her to a head and torso.
That way our esteemed artist wouldn't have to create a new face or hair. [he hates long hair]

Hmm, one does wonder where the optimal locations for both processor and main power systems would be housed.
Head and Chest respectively since they are the least flexible yet bulky bits?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #178 on: 31 Jul 2020, 15:50 »

I'm sure all the incredibly negative effects solitary isolation has on the human psyche has already been talked about at length and in detail over in the DISCUSS forums. So I won't mention them here.

How about the incredibly negative effects on the people that look after the them or do they not matter:

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/rehab-guide/corrections-officers

So yes sometimes its best for these prisoners (I'd say scum but some people on here would get an attack of the vapours) to be locked up for safety reasons

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 31 Jul 2020, 17:26 »

It's almost as though the US prison and criminal justice systems are ripe for reform.

Criminal justice reform in general
Prison policies and conditions
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #180 on: 31 Jul 2020, 18:55 »

One pattern from my reading is that prisons which are horrible for the prisoners are usually horrible for the people in charge of them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #181 on: 31 Jul 2020, 20:05 »

Another pattern is that these both correlate with the for-profit prison system.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #182 on: 31 Jul 2020, 20:48 »

One of the problems is that if you or I went to prison then yeah we'd consider it horrible but for a lot of the prison population it isn't. For instance in my unit of 60 there are about 5 prisoners in here who, while they need to be away from the general population, should in my opinion be in a secured hospital facility instead of a prison but they're safer here then they would be if left to their own devices if they were released

I don't even want to think about the amount of women that should have longer sentences because, again, once they're released they'll go back to family violence, being pimped out, back on drugs etc etc but they're safer here

Before we even consider reforming the corrections department (we really should) we need to understand that prison is the hospital at the bottom of the hill not the guard at the top of the hill. What I mean is consider everything that has to happen before someone is sentenced to a term in prison:

Some guy has to impregnate some girl and the guy does a runner and the kid is more likely to go to prison)
The pregnant girl may not have best nutrition, may drink, may take drugs, may smoke and all of which may affect the kids development in the womb

So even before the kid is born they're behind the eight ball

Will the kid get decent medical attention
Will the kid have a decent homelife

Now the kid goes to school

Will the kid learn to read or write, is the kid able to concentrate due to lack of sleep, food, gangs, undiagnosed learning difficulties, lack of parental support etc etc
Will the kid get any help for the above, will the kid even attend school

Kid gets a bit older and will start to speak to the police, psychiatrists/psychologists /counsellors or maybe they won't...
Kid goes through the justice system but do they get any support or help?

Any support for addiction or mental health issues?

Because in NZ:

'The National Study also revealed that nearly 60 percent of all inmates have at least one major personality disorder.'

'The National Study also revealed that 90 percent of those with major mental disorders also had a substance abuse disorder. Of the total prison population, 89.4 percent have a current substance abuse or dependence diagnosis; 35 percent of these inmates have received treatment for the abuse disorder since they have been in prison.'

https://www.corrections.govt.nz/resources/research_and_statistics/national-study-psychiatric-morbidity-in-nz-prisons#:~:text=Of%20the%20total%20prison%20population,re%2Doffending%20amongst%20offender%20populations.

So look at everything could be done before that kid is 18 and steps inside prison the first time because its easy to point the finger and say look how bad Corrections is but its much harder to think that these issues have been building up for decades, have been known about for decades and been ignored for decades by political parties on both sides of the political spectrum

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #183 on: 31 Jul 2020, 21:13 »

Chris, may I post a copy of that in the criminal justice reform thread in DISCUSS?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #184 on: 31 Jul 2020, 22:17 »

Chris, may I post a copy of that in the criminal justice reform thread in DISCUSS?

Its not quite as detailed as I'd like as I'm at work but if you think its worth posting then no worries

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #185 on: 31 Jul 2020, 23:24 »

It isn't even about wanting May to be happy at this point.  It's more about wanting May to maintain corporeality.  She's held together with spit and prayers and the spit is running out.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #186 on: 01 Aug 2020, 07:55 »

It isn't even about wanting May to be happy at this point.  It's more about wanting May to maintain corporeality.  She's held together with spit and prayers and the spit is running out.
...and the prayers are every bit as effective as prayers always are.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #187 on: 01 Aug 2020, 10:13 »

1) Plenty of E.R. and oncologists with disagree with you.
2) Aren't we meant to try to be more respectful of others' beliefs?
[Provided it isn't something horrible.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #188 on: 01 Aug 2020, 11:56 »

Prayers have an effect on the person making them no matter what the outcome.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #189 on: 01 Aug 2020, 23:36 »

1) Plenty of E.R. and oncologists with disagree with you.
2) Aren't we meant to try to be more respectful of others' beliefs?
[Provided it isn't something horrible.]

#2: I'm a atheist. So.. respected my beliefs, anyway!

Gyrre

« Reply #190 on: 02 Aug 2020, 06:10 »

*snorts*
a real-ass gaddam sword

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #191 on: 02 Aug 2020, 09:21 »

So - how much will be donated to May?

• Under $500 (all amounts US)    0 (0%)
  • $500-$1,000    2 (4.1%)
  • $1,001-$5,000    9 (18.4%)
  • $5,001-$10,000    9 (18.4%)
  • $10,001-$50,000    8 (16.3%)
  • $50,001-$100,000    0 (0%)
  • $100,000-$500,000    2 (4.1%)
  • Over $500,000    5 (10.2%)
  • Lots of Canadian Tire money    6 (12.2%)
  • OTHER (specify)    1 (2%)
  • A Billion Samoleans    0 (0%)
  • Sven is Not a Mooch    7 (14.3%)
Total Members Voted: 49

---

Obviously, we will never know the exact amount of the donations. But it appears that we collectively agree on two things;

1. It's somewhere between $1k and $50k.
2. Sven is not a mooch.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gyrre

« Reply #192 on: 02 Aug 2020, 15:05 »

There doesn't appear to be a thread about religion or atheism that's been updated in awhile, so I wasn't sure where to drop this interesting article.

Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
EDIT: fixing formatting
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2020, 23:17 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #193 on: 02 Aug 2020, 15:22 »

*snorts*

okay

I take it back. Have at it.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2020, 15:32 by Tova »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #194 on: 02 Aug 2020, 18:13 »

My father said, wisely I think, that it takes a lot of faith to be an atheist.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #195 on: 02 Aug 2020, 21:16 »

Nice to see Momo hasn't lost her touch.  I was trying to find the first time she used her "shock and awe" abilities, when she fried Marigold's computer, but my archive-fu is rusty.
The time she fried Marigold's computer in 1474 wasn't the first time we've seen it. There was this a little earlier, and it was referred to here though not actually seen.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #196 on: 02 Aug 2020, 21:28 »

Not really.  Just look at the world.  Either there is no $DEITY, or it is clearly malevolent or, at the very least, uncaring in a manner that would be criminal if applied to a person.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #197 on: 02 Aug 2020, 21:56 »

Not really.  Just look at the world.  Either there is no $DEITY, or it is clearly malevolent or, at the very least, uncaring in a manner that would be criminal if applied to a person.
Are you suggesting that a person owning a plot of what would otherwise be "wild nature", but doesn't do anything one way or another---so it's staying as "wild nature"---should be a criminal?

Anyway, atheism is the lack of belief in any deity. I don't see how a lack of belief about something for which the person has a lack of evidence takes any faith. Often, I see "atheism" used when antitheism would be more appropriate. Antitheism takes a lot of faith, because it's believing in the lack of a deity, but there's no evidence one way or the other. Likewise, theism takes a lot of faith. No disrespect meant for either "side" of the argument---many my favorite persons are so stupid.
Another strange thing is how often agnosticism is discussed despite gnosticism discussions being rare. I almost feel like they're picking on or defending the gnostics, as the case may be, even though they rarely if ever comment on the issue themselves.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #198 on: 02 Aug 2020, 22:14 »

Less ignoring a plot of wild land than ignoring when one's spawn regularly commit atrocities to one another.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #199 on: 02 Aug 2020, 22:36 »

I'm still having trouble seeing a clear difference between atheism and antitheism. The roots make sense, and I can see how the prefixes can apply to other phrases, but if you don't believe in a deity, isn't that just a rewording of believing in no deity?

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me; I often have trouble putting what I think into words. Let me know if you need me to rephrase it.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up