- 1 (2%)
A Billion Samoleans
- 0 (0%)
Sven is Not a Mooch
- 7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: 01 Aug 2020, 18:29

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)  (Read 25486 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT Strips 4316-4320 (27-31 July 2020)
« Reply #200 on: 02 Aug 2020, 23:27 »

Weirdly enough, Furturama kind of addressed that, Hedgie.

I was unaware that there was a distinction between atheists and antitheists. This is the first I've heard of the latter, though I can guess at a fair few infamous celebrity types that fit the bill (Richard Dawkins). But, it doesn't really surprise considering how much of a massive douche nozzle some of the latter can be.

I guess using a graph with a theism-atheism axis and a gnostic-agnostic axis needs to be redesigned to include a douche-nondouche axis?

EDIT: And I can't blame anyone for wanting to distance themselves from total asshats. I recently learned of the American Civil Religion which makes it so much easier to explain who I'm talking about when I say 'Christians-in-name-only' (CiNO).
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2020, 23:43 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #201 on: 02 Aug 2020, 23:33 »

Wait, is there a furry Futurama?  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #202 on: 02 Aug 2020, 23:36 »

I'm still having trouble seeing a clear difference between atheism and antitheism. The roots make sense, and I can see how the prefixes can apply to other phrases, but if you don't believe in a deity, isn't that just a rewording of believing in no deity?

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me; I often have trouble putting what I think into words. Let me know if you need me to rephrase it.

"People who don't believe in a deity" is a big group that includes people who believe in no deity, people who believe that you can't know if there is a deity, people who aren't really sure whether there is a deity, people who haven't considered whether there is a deity, people who have never heard of the concept of a deity...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #203 on: 02 Aug 2020, 23:45 »

Wait, is there a furry Futurama?  :psyduck:
The episode Godfellas.

Here's a clip from the end of the episode:
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #204 on: 02 Aug 2020, 23:47 »

I'm still having trouble seeing a clear difference between atheism and antitheism. The roots make sense, and I can see how the prefixes can apply to other phrases, but if you don't believe in a deity, isn't that just a rewording of believing in no deity?

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me; I often have trouble putting what I think into words. Let me know if you need me to rephrase it.

"People who don't believe in a deity" is a big group that includes people who believe in no deity, people who believe that you can't know if there is a deity, people who aren't really sure whether there is a deity, people who haven't considered whether there is a deity, people who have never heard of the concept of a deity...

Makes sense...so you're saying antitheism is a subgroup of atheism?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #205 on: 03 Aug 2020, 00:08 »

Yes. With the caveat that different people have narrower definitions of 'atheism'. But if you interpret atheism as simply 'lack of belief in a deity' (as I would), then antitheism is a subgroup of that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #206 on: 03 Aug 2020, 00:29 »

Maybe the antheism is more like the militant, proselytising atheism?

As for me personally, I'm happy to let everyone believe what they want - or not - as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

What does get on my nerves, however, is when people are pushing an antireligious discourse by twisting around history, and just perpetuating things that are, at best, misrepresentations, at worst, total fabrications. Religion, and all religions, have their bad sides - as bad as the people that make up a religion can get - but there's also good to be found.

When it comes to prayer, what is worse: telling someone in pain their beliefs are wrong, and their prayers useless, or letting them have this one source of comfort?

Sure, there are those who will go to another extreme, and refuse medical treatment, but let's face it, discounting their beliefs is not going to make them any more cooperative. Quite the contrary, in fact.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #207 on: 03 Aug 2020, 01:11 »

As for me personally, I'm happy to let everyone believe what they want - or not - as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

I think that the militant, proselytising antitheist is a subset of antitheist. Also, I think that, in general, the reason that they are militant and proselytising is that they believe that religion does, in fact, do harm.

Gyrre

« Reply #208 on: 03 Aug 2020, 01:26 »

I think that the militant, proselytising antitheist is a subset of antitheist. Also, I think that, in general, the reason that they are militant and proselytising is that they believe that religion does, in fact, do harm.
I wonder how many of them came to that conclusion via a series of bad experiences or a few particularly bad experiences with religious (or self-professed) religious types?

I can certainly see victims of warped variations of Christianity (e.g. the white supremacy brand) and child victims of clergy coming to that conclusion.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #209 on: 03 Aug 2020, 15:16 »

I suspect it is partly that and partly confirmation bias even down to how you seek shit out.

Spoiler for content warning of sexual abuse. I'm using the extreme example here because it's one of the quickest anti-Catholic go-tos.

(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #210 on: 03 Aug 2020, 15:42 »

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2020, 15:48 by Tova »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #211 on: 03 Aug 2020, 15:45 »

*an, rather than 'the' I guess. Or possibly cheap, rather than extreme?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #212 on: 03 Aug 2020, 15:49 »

Let's go with "best known."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #213 on: 03 Aug 2020, 17:04 »

I am surprised, given the anti-wealth posture of so many here, that the Catholic Church seems to escape specific attention. Since they are worth quite a lot. Let me see here... estimated to be $30 billion a couple of years ago. That's a lot, right?

But since we all seem to be fine and dandy with this topic... not spoilering anything below, because we're all adults.

Let's talk about science education; evolution particularly.
Let's talk about genital mutilation.
Let's talk about abortion rights.
Let's talk about the phenomenon known as "Catholic guilt."
Mother Teresa? I've never looked into the controversy around her, so yeah, let's throw her into the mix.
Oh and hey, let's talk about how religion enabled Donald J Trump.

That'll do for starters. You all wanted this. Let's do it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #214 on: 03 Aug 2020, 17:52 »

Would there be interest in a religion topic in DISCUSS?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #215 on: 03 Aug 2020, 17:54 »

I think it would be good to pull this discussion out into a separate topic.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #216 on: 03 Aug 2020, 20:21 »

By all means. I didn't particularly want to follow that train of thought in this thread to begin with, but apparently my request to avoid doing so was risible.

I may or may not participate. I usually keep my feeling about religion to myself, for reasons that will occur to you.

Gyrre

« Reply #217 on: 04 Aug 2020, 04:46 »

By all means. I didn't particularly want to follow that train of thought in this thread to begin with, but apparently my request to avoid doing so was risible.

I may or may not participate. I usually keep my feeling about religion to myself, for reasons that will occur to you.
Completely fair.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up