Yay New Friend/Spookybot
- 14 (25%)
Dora and Tai's wedding
- 13 (23.2%)
Other
- 8 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)  (Read 22839 times)

Roborat

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 04 Aug 2020, 13:24 »

There are so many things wrong with that movie, but "Bloosh?" I...I don't even want to know...
Not gonna lie, those sound affects make me want to watch this anime now.

As for today's page, I am now curious as to what Yay considers a modest amount, considering her past track record.  Will May get enough money to buy a top line model, have a custom design prepared, or perhaps just purchase the factory itself.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2020, 13:31 by Roborat »

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 04 Aug 2020, 14:29 »

Well, Spookybot did donate most of their money to charity earlier, while retaining enough to 'keep the lights on and the dogs fed'. They might also be wary of donating too much, considering how Roko reacted when they gave away those 2 billion dollars. I'd guess they gave a couple of 1,000.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #52 on: 04 Aug 2020, 18:39 »

Oh, hi, Mille. Did we mention we found your emu?

« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2020, 05:05 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #53 on: 04 Aug 2020, 19:16 »

Hi Mille! Good on you for realizing that you can still have breaks, even if you don't use them for their intended purpose :)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #54 on: 04 Aug 2020, 19:17 »

Heh, nice to see them.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #55 on: 04 Aug 2020, 19:22 »

Mille can't eat (which no one can remember), but she can drink.

Which brings up the question...what would happen if she did try to eat?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #56 on: 04 Aug 2020, 19:30 »

She doesn't have to eat, but that doesn't mean she can't :) The food would probably end up in the same place as the ouzo did, hopefully not causing a blockage.

Pintsize has been known to 'eat' cake mix.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #57 on: 04 Aug 2020, 19:43 »

And raw ground beef.

And also had his head stuffed with birdseed, though I don't know if that counts.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #58 on: 04 Aug 2020, 21:05 »

I'm more worried about the parole terms. For humans, a housing plan has to be approved, and changes of address must at least be reported. For a synthetic, there's the issue that changing their appearance could be used to avoid detection after a crime.

I'd imagine that AIs would be required to broadcast some form of digital signature - perhaps tied to the specific substrate they're running on? If AIs could evade identification with something akin to MAC spoofing, QCverse law enforcement would have some serious trouble, I suppose?
That just brings up all of the arguments and concerns against RFID-chipping humans.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #59 on: 04 Aug 2020, 21:14 »

And Mille just became more relatable for me.

Who else suspects they might have needed to have Mille's panel 4 realization if they were a QC A.I.?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #60 on: 04 Aug 2020, 23:10 »

Renee is likely reflecting on the fact that she seems to be around an awful lot when people have sudden cathartic realisations. Usually it's Brun or Elliot though.

Meanwhile, Millifeulle seems determined to become Renee and Brun's answer to Hannelore: The sweet but weird lady living next to them who makes random visits to remind them of just how unusual their life really is!

So, I can't help but wonder why Renee has chosen the same haircut that Clinton had during the previous summer. Is it because she just likes it or is there a deeper psychological reason. After all, it's the haircut he wore when Elliot noticed him and we all know where Renee wants her friendship with Elliot to progress!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #61 on: 04 Aug 2020, 23:17 »

Mille's nice, but I haven't really noticed any kind of character development with her. Right now, she seems to exist only as a potential love interest for Brun. I'd like to see more of what she's actually like past just "a kind AI scientist with butt implants."

Tomato sauce, too, but since when has Pintsize been a good role model for anything?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #62 on: 04 Aug 2020, 23:47 »

He can sometimes inspire the people around him

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #63 on: 05 Aug 2020, 06:58 »

Am wondering what narrative purpose this strip is supposed to serve.

Perhaps we'll see Millie join Steve for cereal?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 05 Aug 2020, 08:58 »

I don't know what Jeph had in mind but it got me thinking about what it's like for a synthetic in a world optimized around the needs of organics.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #65 on: 05 Aug 2020, 14:43 »

Why would such a code be in the chassis when the substrate of their mind units has got to be unique? 

I'd imagine that AIs would be required to broadcast some form of digital signature - perhaps tied to the specific substrate they're running on?

?

Hmmm.  My reply seems to have gone missing.  And we're using substrate in different ways which may add to the confusion.  So a substrateless restatement:

The CPU in each PC after the 386 from Intel has a unique processor serial #.  For identification purposes, why would an AI include a serial from their chassis?  If, as we've seen before, the AI can shut down their chassis and the "CPU part" is swapped to a new chassis (not without possible problems as Roko discovered) or the CPU/mind can be removed and reinserted and the chassis rebooted with only a small temporal dislocation, then the identity lies within the "CPU part", along with any unique serial.  Admittedly, a chassis serial might be useful if the meat-police are looking for a particular AI and don't have a scanner that can pick up the AIs natural wifi (or whatever they use) CPU serial.

Aside: This makes an AI in chassis physically hiding from an AI policeman kinda impossible, and the trash can incident between Bubs and Roko a lot ridiculous.
Further aside: Unless an AI can turn off or spoof their identity signal somehow.  Hmmmm.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #66 on: 05 Aug 2020, 14:52 »

Is it just me, or is Momo sitting in May's lap in 4321?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #67 on: 05 Aug 2020, 15:26 »

Is it just me, or is Momo sitting in May's lap in 4321?
P. Sure it’s just you. She has her knees drawn up and she’s twisted away so she’s almost got her feet on the cushions while May is slouching forward with her hips nearly or completely off the front of the couch. If Momo were in her lap she’d be completely off the couch and obscuring Marigold much more.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #68 on: 05 Aug 2020, 16:30 »

Hmm. Then any place with security cameras should also have RF loggers for the ID of synthetics who come on the premises. Then there would be no issue of robbing a bank and dumping the chassis that's on the video footage.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #69 on: 05 Aug 2020, 17:22 »

I've been following this ID conversation with some interest, and I have a couple of observations.

Firstly, transfer of an AI to a new chassis does not involve transferring a "CPU part" or any other hardware, if what we've seen encompasses the processes. It is a software transfer. So any kind of silicon chip serial number is not fit for purpose. It would need to be some kind of immutable software ID.

Secondly, AIs are an emergent lifeform. The idea that the emergent lifeform includes a serial identifier ready made for the purpose of identification for government and law enforcement seems unlikely.

It's possible on the other hand that it is possible to somehow fingerprint the software, like a sophisticated checksum -- but almost certainly not a literal one, since I imagine that the AI is constantly changing, so it's hard to know how that would work -- or a form of fingerprinting a signal that's radiated -- although you'd have to account for the hardware somehow. Or some other signature I haven't thought of off the top of my head.

On the other other hand, it's entirely possible that a method of unique AI identification does not exist.

Finally, this idea of continuously broadcasting an ID for the world to read is something of a privacy issue, no? I have problems with that proposal.

The problem here is overstated, in my opinion. Yes, without an ID that can be logged by a bank, an AI could come in, rob the place, then dump the chassis. Also, a human could walk in with a mask, rob the bank, drive away and dump the car and mask somewhere. Neither of these are insurmountable problems.

IMO the most likely scenario is that an AIs identification is in fact tied to their chassis, and that all transfers of AIs from one chassis to another are meticulously traced and registered. An unregistered chassis transfer would be illegal in this scenario.

Yes, with enough resources, this method of identification could be circumvented. But, you know what? So can every other existing form of identifying humans.

Just remember: there's a reason humans don't walk around with embedded chips broadcasting our identification to the world. The same reasons ought to apply to AIs in the QC world.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #70 on: 05 Aug 2020, 18:15 »

Just remember: there's a reason humans don't walk around with embedded chips broadcasting our identification to the world. The same reasons ought to apply to AIs in the QC world.

<sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk>

/sarcasm_mode
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #71 on: 05 Aug 2020, 18:17 »

New strip up. Hi Elliot! Been awhile.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #72 on: 05 Aug 2020, 18:18 »

Good advice, Renee.

Honestly, it sounds pretty obvious when it's applied to situations involving other people.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 05 Aug 2020, 19:33 »

<sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk>

/sarcasm_mode

Yes, we do obviously broadcast signals, leave behind fingerprints, leave behind dna, and all other kinds of signatures that can be used to identify us. And that is possibly true of AIs too.

But you don't have a chip that broadcasts your social security number for banks you walk into to read, and that distinction is important.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #74 on: 05 Aug 2020, 19:48 »

I absolutely love Elliot's quote in panel 1. Less so on his quote in panel 6.  :-P

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #75 on: 05 Aug 2020, 20:32 »

Oh Renee, you do love messing with the boy, don't you! 

And Elliot blushes to the ears.  Don't see that too often! 
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2020, 21:26 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #76 on: 05 Aug 2020, 21:08 »

Okay but personally I'd much rather have Brun be with Milie then Elliot and Clinton.

They were just SO cute together on their obviously a date. hehe

Though I'm extremely gay and will always root for wlw couples over any coupling involving men, so maybe I'm just biased here. lol

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #77 on: 05 Aug 2020, 22:53 »

Renee is a good friend really. We know that she's attracted to Elliot but still she gives good advice for him and his crushes on other people! Now we need to see if he has it in himself to actually follow that advice!

One thought coming from panel 1: Do the synthetics really want to be humans, or is it that we're the 'elders' and the only template out there for them to emulate?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 05 Aug 2020, 23:50 »

Continuing that thought; or is it that the only ones we really see and get to deal with, are the ones that are fascinated by humans, and want to emulate them - even only in part - and that other kinds of AI are simply not interested, and keep to their own, or, alternatively, are so alien that we don't even really recognise them?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #79 on: 05 Aug 2020, 23:58 »

Continuing that thought; or is it that the only ones we really see and get to deal with, are the ones that are fascinated by humans, and want to emulate them - even only in part - and that other kinds of AI are simply not interested, and keep to their own, or, alternatively, are so alien that we don't even really recognise them?

We've seen proof of that. Mille said that most never embody, or want to be dump trucks.

Do you think Yay falls into that category? They mentioned that their sentience is on a higher level, so would they still be considered a "humanlike" intelligence (like Roko or Mille)?

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 06 Aug 2020, 00:31 »

Am I the only one rooting for Mille/Jones?  :(

"I think that's true of most people too."  I can do without being called out like that, Elliot...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 06 Aug 2020, 00:36 »

Jones seems to have disappeared - or maybe he's trying out their technology on himself?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 06 Aug 2020, 01:12 »

Am I the only one rooting for-

Go no further. No. No, you're not the only one.

Boxer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #83 on: 06 Aug 2020, 02:07 »

Renee is a good friend really.
I think the opposite, I think Renee is a terrible friend and likes the playing the little game she has at the moment.
Brun was a straight shooter with Renee, and told her she was secretly attracted to Elliot.

Brun is not the most adapt when it comes to social cues and personal reactions, and recently her social circle got very large after her home got burnt down... from that new found circle of people three of them are buzzing around her like bees to honey and Brun fully aware of this is NOT giving Brun a straight conversation and heads up... she is instead playing games with all four of them cause she wants to see the train wreck coming.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #84 on: 06 Aug 2020, 05:11 »

*sees latest strip*

Polycule would solve this real good.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #85 on: 06 Aug 2020, 06:15 »

Am I the only one rooting for-

Go no further. No. No, you're not the only one.

99.9998% chance you never are. They may just not read this forum.

As far as the AI substrate / transfer discussion is concerned, my thoughts are:
The AI itself (their soul, so to speak) and memories are stored on a discreet piece hardware, which can be reinforced (just like Corpse Witch explains). Those reinforcements probably are not necessary for companion models like Momo, so they come at a premium. My guess is, they are either standardised within a few form factors (and interchangeable within compatible models), or hardwired (especially smaller models like Pintsize, old Winslow and old Momo). Basically, like Momo and Winslow did, you could just transfer from one chassis to another by cable, but you need an AI drive, which probably costs extra. Or you could just take the drive and put it in a new chassis (which is basically what should've happened to Roko, but I think they may have run deep diagnostics on her AI drive to look for possible damage, which is why she temporarily ran on a server).
Since all this means as the AI is basically just software, there is no unique hardware identifier for the AI itself. My guess is the AI drives and the chassis each has its own unique ID, which can be accessed by authorities on request, probably on some chip that has to specifically powered on, and a serial number stamped on somewhere hidden.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #86 on: 06 Aug 2020, 10:26 »

Basically, like Momo and Winslow did, you could just transfer from one chassis to another by cable,
One of the interesting aspects is that the transfer is a transfer,/move not a copy.  In pro level IT you would never do a move like that, but always copy so there was a fall back position in the event of a problem.  That would of course provide all sorts of plot and ethical complications, because it would be cloning a personality, and then effectively killing the original personality once the clone is  successfully transferred. One option would be to ~anaesthatise the personality in the transfer (AI unconsciousness must exist - Roko had a gap in consciousness between body destruction and "waking" in the server farm" ) but ultimately what can be transferred across the wire can be copied across the wire... We could speculate that the Yay organismn is some kind of cloned AI wih a special communications system...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #87 on: 06 Aug 2020, 12:00 »

It’s entirely possible that the “move” operation is deliberately designed that way to remove those ethical considerations.
Alternatively, the AI drive substrate is not traditional solid state media but something more volatile and the move is actually a literal transfer of consciousness node by node with the cable keeping everything in sync.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #88 on: 06 Aug 2020, 13:59 »

I've been following this ID conversation with some interest, and I have a couple of observations.

Firstly, transfer of an AI to a new chassis does not involve transferring a "CPU part" or any other hardware, if what we've seen encompasses the processes. It is a software transfer. So any kind of silicon chip serial number is not fit for purpose. It would need to be some kind of immutable software ID.
I must disagree with your premise: see 3008, and 3907; hardware clearly in evidence.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #89 on: 06 Aug 2020, 14:16 »

We see the hardware, but AFAIK, we never see the hardware being transferred from one chassis to another. It only ever seems to be a transfer via cable, like when Momo got her new chassis. Same for Winslow.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 06 Aug 2020, 14:24 »

I must disagree with your premise: see 3008, and 3907; hardware clearly in evidence.

Roko "running on the same substrate she's always been" seems to be an anomaly, inconsistent with other comics in which we've seen actual transfers take place. Actually, the fact that Lemon felt it necessary to explain this also suggests that this isn't always the case. And so (this is more fan theory than I normally get into) I would guess that transferring the physical drive/memory can be done if the new chassis model is physically compatible with the drive's form factor (e.g. transferring to another of the same model); but in most cases, the transfer is carried out via cable. For example, in Momo's case, it seems likely that the new drive enclosure would be incompatible, being a dramatically different size.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #91 on: 06 Aug 2020, 17:08 »

I've never been sure how to feel about Renee. She's the Secret Bakery version of Faye in terms of abrasive personality, but I don't think we've seen a true redeeming moment from her. You can tell she's trying to put Elliot and Brun's happiness before her own, but she does it by trying to force them and Clinton together in various combinations. It doesn't seem like she's doing a very good job of decluttering Elliot's feelings.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #92 on: 06 Aug 2020, 17:40 »

She did let Brun move in with her, and then got a new apartment so Brun wouldn't have to live on her own.

I have a feeling that Renee's character is going to be fleshed out more soon(ish).

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #93 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:20 »

Comic.

Oh no, no we have to wait another 72 hours for the resolution.

It probably won't even truly finish, aargh.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #94 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:33 »

Resolutions are SO much easier if they're not staring you in the face

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #95 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:37 »

I think it's time to check in with Clinton again, and maybe get a bit of progress with regard to whether he's interested in Brun or Elliot or both...

Hey, called it!  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:44 »

Happy Friday, everyone. Welcome to your waverous weekend of wondering and waiting.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #97 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:45 »

"GET BACK HERE YOU GOOBER."

:laugh: :lol: :-D

Also, yup, he has sweet buns...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:47 »

Don't just run off to take care of the sweet buns. Ask if Clinton will give you a hand first.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #99 on: 06 Aug 2020, 18:55 »

I'm open to betting on what happens next:

1. Elliot makes his escape; the resolution waits for another few weeks.
2. Elliot confesses to Clinton:
      a. He says yes.
      b. He says no.
4. Elliot tries to confess to Clinton, but is interrupted by the arrival of Brun:
      a. He asks them both out at the same time:
             i. She turns him down; Clinton says yes.
             ii. She and Clinton both say yes.
             iii. She says yes, Clinton says no.
             iiii. Both say no.
      b. He waits for Brun to leave before asking Clinton out:
             i. Clinton says yes.
             ii. Clinton says no.
      c. Clinton backs out; Elliot asks Brun:
             i. She says yes.
             ii. She says no.
      d. Elliot is overwhelmed and runs from both of them:
             i. Clinton and Brun go their separate ways.
             ii. Clinton/Brun asks the other out; the asked says yes.
             iii. Clinton/Brun asks the other out; the asked says no.
5. Elliot, while attempting to escape asking out Clinton, runs into Brun and asks her out.
      a. It goes without outside incident:
             i. She says yes.
             ii. She says no.
      b. Clinton, having chased after Elliot, interrupts:
             i. He gets mad at Elliot for walking out on him in order to ask out Brun.
             ii. He supports Elliot, but shows no romantic interest.
             iii. Elliot asks him out as well (see 4a for options).
6. Other (please explain).

Apologies for the wall of text, but I want to know what you all think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up