Yay New Friend/Spookybot
- 14 (25%)
Dora and Tai's wedding
- 13 (23.2%)
Other
- 8 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)  (Read 22851 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 06 Aug 2020, 19:05 »

:clairedoge:

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #101 on: 06 Aug 2020, 19:07 »

7a. Hannelore orders an orbital bombardment a pizza.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 06 Aug 2020, 19:12 »

The fundraiser hit its goal. May gets a serviceable new body.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #103 on: 06 Aug 2020, 19:39 »

@Gnabberwocky: you skipped 3. Didn't want the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch to explode?

I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #104 on: 06 Aug 2020, 21:06 »

Threes are sneaky. They hide themselves as E's, W's, and M's. I don't trust them in any of my posts.  :wink:
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #105 on: 06 Aug 2020, 21:26 »

I've been following this ID conversation with some interest, and I have a couple of observations.

Firstly, transfer of an AI to a new chassis does not involve transferring a "CPU part" or any other hardware, if what we've seen encompasses the processes. It is a software transfer. So any kind of silicon chip serial number is not fit for purpose. It would need to be some kind of immutable software ID.
I must disagree with your premise: see 3008, and 3907; hardware clearly in evidence.

Roko "running on the same substrate she's always been" seems to be an anomaly, inconsistent with other comics in which we've seen actual transfers take place. Actually, the fact that Lemon felt it necessary to explain this also suggests that this isn't always the case. And so (this is more fan theory than I normally get into) I would guess that transferring the physical drive/memory can be done if the new chassis model is physically compatible with the drive's form factor (e.g. transferring to another of the same model); but in most cases, the transfer is carried out via cable. For example, in Momo's case, it seems likely that the new drive enclosure would be incompatible, being a dramatically different size.
It would seem that in both of those cases, Momo and Winslow were trying out the chassis via cable prior to the move/transfer fully taking place. That is to say they were remotely operating the new chassis via the cable.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 06 Aug 2020, 22:34 »

Threes are sneaky. They hide themselves as E's, W's, and M's. I don't trust them in any of my posts.  :wink:

They also have a lot of rules.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #107 on: 06 Aug 2020, 22:43 »

I'm expecting things to get even more complicated next week. Something like: Whilst Elliot is stuttering, evading and generally failing to communicate anything, Brun comes in to pick up her bag of yesterday's baked goods. Millifeulle also appears as does Roko (and possibly Beepatrice) and there is a week long sequence of unclear flirting, subconscious hints, lack of understanding of these or of their own feelings and general confusion with Renee getting more and more frustrated until she blurts out something that is more revealing about her than anything else.

The arc will end with a number of dates arranged but some indication that they may not be the right combinations.

Or, Brun will consider the situation before announcing that she doesn't want to date any of the three of them as she feels that rejecting the other two will damage their friendships. Her solution is for her to date all of them.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #108 on: 06 Aug 2020, 22:44 »

Brun was a straight shooter with Renee, and told her she was secretly attracted to Elliot.

I don't remember this. When did she do that?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #109 on: 06 Aug 2020, 23:04 »

While everyone else is shipping pairings, Ben ships shenanigans.  :mrgreen:

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #110 on: 07 Aug 2020, 00:04 »

It would seem that in both of those cases, Momo and Winslow were trying out the chassis via cable prior to the move/transfer fully taking place. That is to say they were remotely operating the new chassis via the cable.

Doesn't seem like it. In this strip, you see Winslow connected to a computer via cable, and it has 'transfer complete' in the background of the 2nd panel. Admittedly, you don't see where he's transferring from.

Winslow did upload himself into Hannelore's 'training boyfriend' in the earlier comics.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 07 Aug 2020, 00:08 »

Interesting speculation, but I don't see anything to support it.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #112 on: 07 Aug 2020, 00:17 »

Brun was a straight shooter with Renee, and told her she was secretly attracted to Elliot.

I think the storyline referenced starts with 3436. When Brun makes Renee realise she (Renee) may be attracted to Elliot.

Doesn't seem like it. In this strip, you see Winslow connected to a computer via cable, and it has 'transfer complete' in the background of the 2nd panel. Admittedly, you don't see where he's transferring from.

Winslow did upload himself into Hannelore's 'training boyfriend' in the earlier comics.

Maybe AI Drive swapping is preferrable over cable transfer, but not always possible? When Roko was given her new body, the only thing we know is she was loaded into her new body, but that doesn't say whether by download (cable) or drive placement. Maybe her drive was connected to the server farm, just to be able to boot her up in virtual.
Those AI drives kinda seem more and more like the DHFs from Altered Carbon to me now.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #113 on: 07 Aug 2020, 00:24 »

At the moment, all we can do is speculate and wait for the day that Jeph decides to enlighten us about this aspect of the QC-verse. So far, all we have seen is cable transfers, not physical drive relocations. I always assumed that the physically reinforced drives (like those of the fighters bots, and Roko) were just there to keep the AI intact until it could be loaded into a new chassis.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #114 on: 07 Aug 2020, 00:58 »

Just to throw one more variable into the mix, maybe the mentions of 'substrate' in the comic are actually references to software substrate.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #115 on: 07 Aug 2020, 01:31 »

Jeph's comment made me laugh a lot.  :-D

I'll place my bet on things going something like this:
Elliot stumbles through asking Clinton out but he's not very clear about it and so Clinton doesn’t realise he's being asked out on a date (rather than for a friendly hang out). Followed by Renee getting frustrated with them and explaining Elliot meant.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #116 on: 07 Aug 2020, 02:12 »

I think the storyline referenced starts with 3436. When Brun makes Renee realise she (Renee) may be attracted to Elliot.

I'm not seeing anything about Brun's feelings in that storyline, but [off-topic] reading on, I have come to realise just how insecure Bubbles looked in her armour, when compared to now.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #117 on: 07 Aug 2020, 04:43 »

Elliot stumbles through asking Clinton out but he's not very clear about it and so Clinton doesn’t realise he's being asked out on a date (rather than for a friendly hang out). Followed by
Close, but no cigar.   :wink: :wink:

Eliot and Clinton hang, but the Eliot gets all tangue-tongled and waits for a second "date" to finally make a move on Clinton.  We haven't seen Clinton attracted to anyone but Brun, so I'm going to guess that Clinton rejects Eliot, which send Eliot into a spiral that Renee has to kick him out of by seducing him.  This enables Eliot to finally ask Brun out, just as Renee decides she can work with Eliot and bang him at the same time.  This does not end well for the new apartment as Eliot tries to date Brun and Renee (which causes Renee to make a major scene), and Brun lands in Clinton's apartment.  Clinton wants to take advantage and agonizes over it before finally asking just as Brun lands a new job which it would be easier for her to handle if she lived near it instead of with Clinton.  This forces Brun into new territory as she considers the new job vs. a possible relationship, and rattles Clinton even more.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or so I'm thinking.   :-o 8-) :-D :-D

Of course, Emily and Millie will ricochet through this whole mess at the same time.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2020, 10:01 by Wingy »
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #118 on: 07 Aug 2020, 07:03 »

I'm expecting 'It Hurt itself in its Confusion' to enter into this somewhere.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #119 on: 07 Aug 2020, 07:11 »

Hey, a detail from this comic we haven't discussed: May's fundraiser has hit its goal!! The amount has kinda been danced around, but surely that number would be "May can outright afford a new chassis" money?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 07 Aug 2020, 07:27 »

Will the fundraiser end up in nosebleeding territory?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #121 on: 07 Aug 2020, 09:32 »

I wonder what the plan was for everything that went over the goal.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #122 on: 07 Aug 2020, 10:00 »

I wonder what the plan was for everything that went over the goal.

They use it to pay for the party. P-A-R-T. Why? Because they gotta!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #123 on: 07 Aug 2020, 10:27 »

One wonders what kind of body May will pick.  Since Crushbot is off doing other things, and May would like to get Hank the Dismemberers autograph, maybe a Crushbot style body to do his old jobs and joining the now-legal fights is on her docket?  Or does she get a blue Roko-style body?  Or something more enticing, like her first avatar, to tempt Sven with?  Or...  ;-)
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #124 on: 07 Aug 2020, 11:52 »

Elliot stumbles through asking Clinton out but he's not very clear about it and so Clinton doesn’t realise he's being asked out on a date (rather than for a friendly hang out). Followed by
Close, but no cigar.   :wink: :wink:

Eliot and Clinton hang, but the Eliot gets all tangue-tongled and waits for a second "date" to finally make a move on Clinton.  We haven't seen Clinton attracted to anyone but Brun, so I'm going to guess that Clinton rejects Eliot, which send Eliot into a spiral that Renee has to kick him out of by seducing him.  This enables Eliot to finally ask Brun out, just as Renee decides she can work with Eliot and bang him at the same time.  This does not end well for the new apartment as Eliot tries to date Brun and Renee (which causes Renee to make a major scene), and Brun lands in Clinton's apartment.  Clinton wants to take advantage and agonizes over it before finally asking just as Brun lands a new job which it would be easier for her to handle if she lived near it instead of with Clinton.  This forces Brun into new territory as she considers the new job vs. a possible relationship, and rattles Clinton even more.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or so I'm thinking.   :-o 8-) :-D :-D

Of course, Emily and Millie will ricochet through this whole mess at the same time.

Continuing...

Renee, frustrated because she thinks Brun screwed up the possible relationship with Elliot, yells at Brun. Brun, still deciding what she wants to happen regarding Clinton, then turns to Elliot, who stumbles over his own words and accidentally insults her. With nowhere else to go, she talks to Clinton, who takes her confidence in him as a yes to his proposition. However, he isn't eloquent enough to convey this to Brun, so when he tries to set up a first date, Brun acts confused. She ends up turning him down, leading to an awkward stretch in which they both live in the same apartment but don't talk to each other. To add insult to injury, she misses out on the job, forcing her to move back in with Renee, who is currently living with Elliot. The day after that happens, Renee and Elliot break up. Elliot allows Brun to stay, with sends Renee into a fury.

That gave me a headache just thinking about it. Let's hope for a happier ending.

cybersmurf

« Reply #125 on: 07 Aug 2020, 11:57 »

I'm sure May will make a sensible choice. With a bomb rack.
At some point she said she likes being a blue robot chick, so the change may not be drastic. Or she gets a chassis from the Philomena series, but changes the chromatophores to blue. Thinking of, that's gonna be a lot of teasing Roko.

I don't think Clinton and Elliot are going to be a thing. Question is whether Brun is getting one of them. Or maybe a love triangle?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #126 on: 07 Aug 2020, 15:21 »

I'm open to betting on what happens next:
(click to show/hide)
Elliot's too polite to reject that strong disapproval of not keeping his commitment (love atthe first sight), so 1 and 5 are probably not. It's still morning, so why would Brun be even awake?---probably not 4. That would leave 2 or 6. Clinton doesn't seem very interested, but there may be something there, so 2 could be a tentative "will think about it" later going to yes, or a "not really interested" no.
Placing bets until UTC Sunday noon, I'll put the odds at 2:7 that Elliot manages to not ask Clinton out at all, 3:5 that Clinton gives a firm no in a few in-story days, 1:1 that Clinton gives a firm yes in a few in-story days (the first number is your bet, the second is my bet; you choose the stakes, but the odds stay the same). If Elliot escapes the situation, all bets are off. Payout when we know the results.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #127 on: 07 Aug 2020, 16:15 »

Do we place bets in Internet points?

N.N. Marf

« Reply #128 on: 07 Aug 2020, 17:19 »

That's right*. And payout is always in internet points (INP), but we also accepts bets placed in some various other currencies, including but not limited to the Canadian Tire Dollars (CTD 1 = INP 44), Personal Favor Credits (PF¢ 1 = INP 651), Deer Bucks (DRB 1 = INP 846), Dihydrogen-Monoxide Moles (H2O mol 1 = 602214076E15 INP), soul fragments (FMS** 1 = INP 18,941), Clams (CLM 1 = INP 735), hours manual labor (HLM*** 1 = INP 7959), pounds dough (DGH £1 = INP 184808), or classified military secrets (CMS 1 = INP 30). If you would like to place bets in another currency not listed, feel free to ask---we might be able to come to an arrangement.

*While supplies last.
**Conversion rate of a freshly matured soul based on the Creative/Industrial Poll using last year's data. Your specific conversion rate may vary. (Hey, I don't make the numbers. Everyone knows a soul loses half it's value each time it meets someone new!)
***Official name Heures du Labeur Manuel.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)

Gyrre

« Reply #129 on: 07 Aug 2020, 17:20 »

Sorry, I should have specified the training boyfriend one was what I was referring to.
I'm so damned fatigued and this overtime isn't helping.

[snip]

Maybe AI Drive swapping is preferrable over cable transfer, but not always possible? When Roko was given her new body, the only thing we know is she was loaded into her new body, but that doesn't say whether by download (cable) or drive placement. Maybe her drive was connected to the server farm, just to be able to boot her up in virtual.
Those AI drives kinda seem more and more like the DHFs from Altered Carbon to me now.
There is a potentially important distinction someone else brought up on the previous page; Momo and Winslow were old-school pre-singularity A.I. Roko seems to be post singularity. So the style of substrate my be different between pre-Singularity AnthroPCs and post Singularity A.I. Bubbles described the lattice structure of the substrate some time ago, but my break's over so I can't go hunting for the strip rn.

The substrate lattice was yellow in the picture, though.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2020, 17:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #130 on: 07 Aug 2020, 17:34 »

That's right*. And payout is always in internet points (INP), but we also accepts bets placed in some various other currencies, including but not limited to the Canadian Tire Dollars (CTD 1 = INP 44), Personal Favor Credits (PF¢ 1 = INP 651), Deer Bucks (DRB 1 = INP 846), Dihydrogen-Monoxide Moles (H2O mol 1 = 602214076E15 INP), soul fragments (FMS** 1 = INP 18,941), Clams (CLM 1 = INP 735), hours manual labor (HLM*** 1 = INP 7959), pounds dough (DGH £1 = INP 184808), or classified military secrets (CMS 1 = INP 30). If you would like to place bets in another currency not listed, feel free to ask---we might be able to come to an arrangement.

*While supplies last.
**Conversion rate of a freshly matured soul based on the Creative/Industrial Poll using last year's data. Your specific conversion rate may vary. (Hey, I don't make the numbers. Everyone knows a soul loses half it's value each time it meets someone new!)

I feel like there's some arbitrage to be had here. You can buy dihydrogen monoxide from Canadian Tire using Canadian Tire money, right?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #131 on: 07 Aug 2020, 19:22 »

@Gyrre That would be this comic, I assume?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #132 on: 07 Aug 2020, 22:08 »

I'm open to betting on what happens next:
(click to show/hide)
Elliot's too polite to reject that strong disapproval of not keeping his commitment (love atthe first sight), so 1 and 5 are probably not. It's still morning, so why would Brun be even awake?---probably not 4. That would leave 2 or 6. Clinton doesn't seem very interested, but there may be something there, so 2 could be a tentative "will think about it" later going to yes, or a "not really interested" no.
Placing bets until UTC Sunday noon, I'll put the odds at 2:7 that Elliot manages to not ask Clinton out at all, 3:5 that Clinton gives a firm no in a few in-story days, 1:1 that Clinton gives a firm yes in a few in-story days (the first number is your bet, the second is my bet; you choose the stakes, but the odds stay the same). If Elliot escapes the situation, all bets are off. Payout when we know the results.

If I'm allowed to bet on my own survey, I'll put all seventeen of my spare INP on option 2b. I've also got a Clam stashed away, but that's for emergencies only.

Incidentally, what's the conversion rate on Sven Is Not A Mooch (SiNaM)?

Gyrre

« Reply #133 on: 07 Aug 2020, 22:23 »

@Gyrre That would be this comic, I assume?

That's the one!

Now I can use the substrate as a desktop again.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #134 on: 07 Aug 2020, 22:42 »

Ask if Clinton will give you a hand first.

There's something wrong with that...  can't quite put my finger on it, though  :roll:

I'm sure May will make a sensible choice. With a bomb rack.

[rimshot]

:-D

I knew a Manuel Labor once, years ago. 

I could watch him work all day...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Gyrre

« Reply #135 on: 08 Aug 2020, 04:06 »

Where'd I put those digital tomatoes?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #136 on: 08 Aug 2020, 09:52 »

I will put 6.347 Internet Cookies on Clinton at first saying no, he's not interested, but then Renee convinces/bullies him into giving it a chance even if it's just as friends/to discuss their mutual attraction to Brun and by the end of that whoops Clinton is interested.

1 Internet cookie is 10 internet points, unless it's chocolate chip, in which case it's 10 but in binary.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #137 on: 08 Aug 2020, 11:22 »

Quatloos.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #138 on: 08 Aug 2020, 13:58 »

I will put 6.347 Internet Cookies on Clinton at first saying no, he's not interested, but then Renee convinces/bullies him into giving it a chance even if it's just as friends/to discuss their mutual attraction to Brun and by the end of that whoops Clinton is interested.

1 Internet cookie is 10 internet points, unless it's chocolate chip, in which case it's 10 but in binary.

Would a chocolate chip Internet Cookie be 10 in binary and 2 in base-10, or 1010 in binary and 10 in base-10?

Edit: I don't think that came across right. Is it 10 before or after being converted to binary?
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2020, 15:19 by Gnabberwocky »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #140 on: 08 Aug 2020, 21:58 »

Just to throw one more variable into the mix, maybe the mentions of 'substrate' in the comic are actually references to software substrate.

Then again, Bubbles threatened to tear out Corpse Witch's substrate.

N.N. Marf

« Reply #141 on: 08 Aug 2020, 22:30 »

Marf Opportunities would like to issue a friendly reminder to everyone to place your bets now! Hurry while the odds are good!*

*While supplies last.

I feel like there's some arbitrage to be had here. You can buy dihydrogen monoxide from Canadian Tire using Canadian Tire money, right?
We at Marf Opportunities set our currency conversions based on our proprietary evaluations to ensure our ability to continue servicing our customers with the same level of dignity they have grown accustomed to over the years. If you find an external currency conversion service better serves your needs before placing your bets, we welcome and encourage you to utilise their superior services if they better fit your need. For the sake of enhancing clarity and business relations, we would like to remind players that all winnings are to be paid out in INP.

If I'm allowed to bet on my own survey, I'll put all seventeen of my spare INP on option 2b. I've also got a Clam stashed away, but that's for emergencies only.
All bets placed in the listed currencies will be honored.
Incidentally, what's the conversion rate on Sven Is Not A Mooch (SiNaM)?
Unfortunately, due to recent deflationary trends, Marf Opportunities is not presently offering conversions from SNM. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

It really is something to marvel: the foremost currency in this day and age, and yet it still obstinately holds on to the old weights.** As we are undoubtedly all aware, CC¢ 1 = INP 102, SGR¢ 1 = INP 103, X3C¢ 1 = INP 105, OM¢ 1 = INP 107, INP¢ 1 = INP 1011***, OMR¢ 1 = INP 1013. Storied history be damned!* **** The average customer is tired and confused all these numbers.* ** You'd have to be one smart cookie to follow all that!* **

*Marf Opportunities disclaims any and all liability incurred by anyone for any reason, including, but not limited to, the fitness for use or merchantability of any information that the reader may have.
**Marf Opportunities is a strong proponent and steering member of Decimalize for Efficient Business Transactions: How much will it save you in the long run?
***as has been so aptly noted for us by Penquin47, with the generic-cocurrency fee effective since July 31 2020, 11:59:59 pm UTC, implemented by The Galis Memorial Intracurrencies Act of 2003, it may as well be INC 1 = INP 1010!
****Marf Oppertunities is 100% compliant with The G. Wells Jr. Memorial Public Memory Act of 1985.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #142 on: 09 Aug 2020, 00:32 »

Nice one, I'd forgotten that detail.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #143 on: 09 Aug 2020, 00:42 »

There are a LOT of details in this comic 😊

Gyrre

« Reply #144 on: 09 Aug 2020, 07:27 »

I'm still wondering if the AnthroPCs and other pre-Singularity A.I.s used the same sponge lattice substrate as the post-Singularity A.I.s we've met or if they use something more akin to our own world's technologies.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #145 on: 09 Aug 2020, 11:13 »

Which wouldn't matter if CW had a backup, and if that were possible she'd treat it as a survival priority. The implication is that AI personalities can't be backed up, despite the early comic that showed Pintsize running on a desktop.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #146 on: 09 Aug 2020, 13:22 »

Even if Corpse Witch had a backup, she'd still be dependent on someone else getting a new chassis/substrate, restoring the backup, checking that everything went OK, etc. It's a major hassle.

There was a very early indication of Marten having a backup of Pintsize.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #147 on: 09 Aug 2020, 13:29 »

I'm still wondering if the AnthroPCs and other pre-Singularity A.I.s used the same sponge lattice substrate as the post-Singularity A.I.s we've met or if they use something more akin to our own world's technologies.

A guess here.  Early model anthropcs have their substrates built in, and are not removable.  They can be transferred to larger chassis and into a removable module.  Perhaps something on the order of a future generation SSD.  When Momo and Winslow got their upgrades,  their old chassis basically "died" for lack of a self-aware operating system.  When Faye met Bubbles, Corpse witch popped a reinforced out of a AI's head, replacing it, with no harm done.
This, perhaps, is why Pintsize could run on a laptop. Presumably a pretty powerful one.  And, of course, Roko's was reinforced because she was in law enforcement,  so her substrate survived, and was downloaded (or plugged in) to a server farm.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #148 on: 09 Aug 2020, 13:38 »

Which wouldn't matter if CW had a backup, and if that were possible she'd treat it as a survival priority. The implication is that AI personalities can't be backed up, despite the early comic that showed Pintsize running on a desktop.

There are a few possible explanations:

1. This relates to Gyrre's point. Perhaps the less-advanced pre-Singularity AIs didn't have a physical brain and were thus able to transfer their consciousnesses freely.

2. CW and the other underground AIs also might have been able to make a backup but not created one for security reasons, which would explain the extra emphasis on drive safety. This implies that full consciousness transfer is possible, so maybe every chassis made has an unused AI brain inside that molds to match the mind of the AI trying to transfer into it. Secondary thought: this process is painful and feels self-intrusive, similar to Yay going inside someone's mind and editing it.

4. AIs can temporarily add a copy of their consciousness to the computer, but cannot do the machine learning process and cannot make complex decisions.

5. The tech has changed over the years and the earlier AIs (Momo, Winslow, Pintsize) have received hardware and/or firmware and/or software upgrades in order to keep up.

Or, we could all be missing the most likely reason, which is that Jeph forgot about a minor detail put in the comic fifteen years ago.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #149 on: 09 Aug 2020, 13:53 »

Or, we could all be missing the most likely reason, which is that Jeph forgot about a minor detail put in the comic fifteen years ago.

Heresy! :D

Jeph mentioned at some point that he has most of 'how AI works in the QC verse' written out - let's hope he decides to enlighten us at some point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up