Yay New Friend/Spookybot
- 14 (25%)
Dora and Tai's wedding
- 13 (23.2%)
Other
- 8 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)  (Read 22844 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 4321-4325 (3-7 August 2020)
« Reply #150 on: 09 Aug 2020, 15:20 »

Bubbles did explicitly state in 3376 that backup is possible.

Like his characters, Jeph's conception of AIs has doubtless evolved over time.

We may be enlightened in the future if motivated by story.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #151 on: 09 Aug 2020, 16:10 »

All bets are in:

Gnabberwocky - INP 17,
Marf - INP (28 + 1/3),
Gnabberwocky bet Clinton no + INP (45 + 1/3);

Penquin47 - INC 6.347,
Marf Conversions + INC 6.347 - INP 69.817,
Marf - INP 69.817,
Penquin47 bet Clinton yes + INP 139.634;
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #152 on: 09 Aug 2020, 17:21 »

Thank you, Tova.

OK, I see why Bubbles's non-threat was so dramatic. Backup or not, who was going to restore Corpse Witch? Destroying her substrate would in practical terms have been the end of her.

Raising the question of whether there is a legal duty to preserve and re-house backups of synthetic people. After all, failure to do so ends a life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #153 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:47 »

Why would such a code be in the chassis when the substrate of their mind units has got to be unique? 

I'd imagine that AIs would be required to broadcast some form of digital signature - perhaps tied to the specific substrate they're running on?

?

Hmmm.  My reply seems to have gone missing.  And we're using substrate in different ways which may add to the confusion.  So a substrateless restatement:
<snip>

Sorry for the late reply.

For identification purposes, why would an AI include a serial from their chassis?

Good question - why would it? FWIW, I do not assume that this concept would make much sense, and the second sentence in my post that you quoted ("If AIs could evade identification with something akin to MAC spoofing, QCverse law enforcement would have some serious trouble, I suppose?") was actually me proposing a counter-argument against the feasibility of the 'serial in chassis' concept (IIRC, that latter sentence was in reply to a post by IICIH upthread from mine).

So it appears the only thing we disagree on ... is more or less that there's disagreement at all?  :psyduck:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 07:09 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #154 on: 10 Aug 2020, 10:44 »

May not be quite relevant to this universe, since we have seen AI's move between bodies without too much hassle:  A different take on substrate based on quantum entanglements, from Never Mind The Gap by View, taking a backup is  a destructive read-out of the old gestalt, then that media has to be carefully read into the new before it can begin processing again. 
(click to show/hide)

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #155 on: 10 Aug 2020, 13:27 »

AI substrates, otoh, are, according to JJ, the result of an 'emergent process' that is intrinsicly linked to both the AI running on the specific substrate, as as its the cumulative history (its 'past' if you will - the sum of all its thoughts & actions). The term I use by myself is 'analog/human-grade distinguishability' - meaning that the substrate shapes the AI at the same time that the AI shapes its substrate and the result is as unique as the duality making up your body and 'soul' (for lack of a better term).
I'd say the distinguishability of cybrids is more like how you can recognize your flesh-bound friend's manner of speaking when he's online; not conclusive, but you can put some tests by trying by giving one idea to the digital persona and see how your flesh-bound friend (doesn't) change.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #156 on: 10 Aug 2020, 21:11 »

Why would such a code be in the chassis when the substrate of their mind units has got to be unique? 

I'd imagine that AIs would be required to broadcast some form of digital signature - perhaps tied to the specific substrate they're running on?

?

Hmmm.  My reply seems to have gone missing.  And we're using substrate in different ways which may add to the confusion.  So a substrateless restatement:
<snip>

Sorry for the late reply.

For identification purposes, why would an AI include a serial from their chassis?

Good question - why would it? FWIW, I do not assume that this concept would make much sense, and the second sentence in my post that you quoted ("If AIs could evade identification with something akin to MAC spoofing, QCverse law enforcement would have some serious trouble, I suppose?") was actually me proposing a counter-argument against the feasibility of the 'serial in chassis' concept (IIRC, that latter sentence was in reply to a post by IICIH upthread from mine).

So it appears the only thing we disagree on ... is more or less that there's disagreement at all?  :psyduck:

(click to show/hide)
This gets into some of the arguments against the whole Mission Impossible rubber mask scenario. For one, an individual will have several idiosyncrasies. Idiosyncrasies that anyone familiar with them will pick up on, and even the most oblivious meatsacks should clue in on if something is 'off' about the behavior of someone they know. Whether it be word choices, speech patterns, or usual habits.
EXAMPLE: Bob always turns the door  handle up. This guy who looks like Bob has only turned the door handle down to open it today.  Ask Bob if he's ok or if that's even Bob.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up