Elliot + Clinton + Brun
- 15 (27.3%)
Clinton + Brun (Sorry Elliot)
- 7 (12.7%)
Millie + Brun (Sorry Elliot, Clinton)
- 18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4326-4330 (10-15 August 2020)  (Read 24062 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
WCDT Strips 4326-4330 (10-15 August 2020)
« on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:21 »

New comic up! Elliot has asked Clinton out!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT Strips 4326-4330 (10-15 August 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:24 »

And he’s done it in a vague enough fashion that Clinton has no idea it’s about anything but video games!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:46 »

Cliton has NO IDEA that he just agreed to a date. I hope that Elliot manages to get that point across in the next comic, I'd hate for there to be an awkward moment during their video game discussion
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

tbodt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:46 »

I believe this is the first dab in the history of QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:47 »

I want to redo my poll options, it would be good to get a throuple in the comic.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2020, 19:47 »

I believe this is the first dab in the history of QC

I concur (unless there was one in the Patreon-only content)

tbodt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2020, 20:06 »

Interestingly the RSS feed got a post on saturday titled "Some Shit" with no image and a link to comic 3781. Most likely a test of some kind though.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2020, 22:01 »

Hmm, I really can't see any of these as the way I'd 'want it to turn out'...

Brun doesn't seem to 'get' the idea of romantic relationships at all - understandable, as human interactions, expressions, conversations are such a puzzle to her - so I don't see any romantic relationship working out with Brun involved...sad, maybe (for us, who can perceive the intricacies of romantic interaction), but probably nothing more than a vague - regret? - from Brun's perspective.

I'm not sure Elliot actually knows what he feels towards Clinton. I suspect he's just glad to be able to talk to another guy (of his own age group) who isn't a dick - Elliot does seem to encounter males at their worst, i.e., drunk and aggressive. Maybe there will be the one date, leading to the realization that it was just rose-coloured glasses all the time. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I can't help but feel that an Elliot/Clinton match-up doesn't have anything solid to anchor it. Not like Marten/Dora or Faye/Angus, where the problem was too many emotional landmines down the road - more like, nothing to stop them from just - drifting...
So, maybe one hook-up, realize it won't work and then "Bye, I hope we can still be friends"?

* I'm probably wrong - my own life is rife with misconstrued meanings and tangled relationships  :-P
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2020, 22:25 »

That rules out anyone who bet that Elliot would try to escape.

I don't think we're far enough to fully cash out on the bets, though. Clinton doesn't know it's a date.

Also, IMO, that's the worst outfit Clinton's worn yet. Not a fan of the mauve/olive combo.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2020, 23:11 »

The poll misses out my other wanted outcome: Elliot + Roko!

Renee has clearly been struggling with Elliot's shyness nad indecisiveness for a long time. For him to even indirectly actually decide to take action is a source of the greatest relief for her. It's also clearly a personal triumph of some kind!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #10 on: 09 Aug 2020, 23:24 »

That rules out anyone who bet that Elliot would try to escape.

I don't think we're far enough to fully cash out on the bets, though. Clinton doesn't know it's a date.  Kinda like that time with Emily?

Also, IMO, that's the worst outfit Clinton's worn yet. Not a fan of the mauve/olive combo.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2020, 01:30 »

With regard to Brun shipping. My suspicion is that Jeph is planning a prolonged arc for her learning the nature of friendship and the difference between friendship and romantic attraction (and, more importantly, the fact that, confusingly, there is sometimes no difference at all). As part of this, I think that Brun will have relationships of differing levels of intimacy with many different people before finally deciding to her own satisfaction what she wants in a romantic partner and deciding whether she has this available in anyone in her existing social circle.

So, yes, I think it is possible that she'll have 'flings' of differing levels of intensity with Millifeulle, Clinton and Elliot. She may even go on what she considers a 'date' with Renee just to verify to her own satisfaction whether their friendship may have a romantic element to it.

FWIW, I could see her walking up to her eventual choice and announcing, in a dry way: "With regard to my romantic partner, I have chosen you." The person has a thought bubble over their head of themselves in Pikachu cosplay and Brun throwing a Pokéball at them.
~~~~

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:19 »

[snip]
FWIW, I could see her walking up to her eventual choice and announcing, in a dry way: "With regard to my romantic partner, I have chosen you." The person has a thought bubble over their head of themselves in Pikachu cosplay and Brun throwing a Pokéball at them.

Why am I thinking Elliot here? :-P

Elliot has asked Clinton for a date in the same way Clinton had asked Emily. But it's a step forward, and not having Renee around probably is a good idea, as Elliot won't feel pressured to do anything.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:02 »

Renee has clearly been struggling with Elliot's shyness nad indecisiveness for a long time. For him to even indirectly actually decide to take action is a source of the greatest relief for her. It's also clearly a personal triumph of some kind!

My dream is a Roko+Elliot+Brun+Clinton polycule of some flavor, just being there and supporting one another and learning together.
Just going through life.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2020, 05:22 »

Replace Roko with Millie for a Millie+Elliot+Brun+Clinton polycule and I'm all set. 

I'm sensing Roko is an independent agent and will remain so unless May, Beeps, or Yay makes a perfectly timed play and hits her when she's weak.  Then she'll stay in the relationship because that's what good people do, even when their partner is foul-mouthed, wussy, or a multi-tentacular monstrosity.  I don't have enough internet points yet, so I can't bet on Yay FTW, but that's my pick.  Yay has already intimated as much in 4040, even though Roko called her "Nerd" in response....
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:12 »

And he’s done it in a vague enough fashion that Clinton has no idea it’s about anything but video games!

Soooooh ... classic nerd-date?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:48 »

a multi-tentacular monstrosity.  I don't have enough internet points yet, so I can't bet on Yay FTW, but that's my pick.  Yay has already intimated as much in 4040, even though Roko called her "Nerd" in response....
For plenty of people, a multi-tentacular monstrosity would be considered an asset.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:09 »

I may or may not be familiar with this kind of situation.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2020, 09:52 »

My dream is a Roko+Elliot+Brun+Clinton polycule of some flavor, just being there and supporting one another and learning together.

Me too - there isn't a lot of character representation out there for poly people so I'm hoping this will be the outcome (or at least Elliot/Brun/Clinton) ♥

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2020, 13:48 »

I don't think we're far enough to fully cash out on the bets, though. Clinton doesn't know it's a date.
That's what I had in mind, having to know it's a date he's responding to. So far it's just a friendly lunch.
What with being indoors weeks at a time, it might take seeing a terrible summer clothes to remind someone it's summer.

person has a thought bubble over their head of themselves in Pikachu cosplay and Brun throwing a Pokéball at them.
Why am I thinking Elliot here? :-P
Because Elliot has thoughts™.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 15:11 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 10 Aug 2020, 15:42 »

As a queer poly person who reads this comic riddled with queers, I am super hyped at the prospect of #ElliotAll.

If it was something they could all communicate about enough, it could be something that worked for all of them.

Also Renee rocks the shit out of that haircut.

It is Renee, right? I haven't Sethed my pants again?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #21 on: 10 Aug 2020, 16:10 »

Replace Roko with Millie for a Millie+Elliot+Brun+Clinton polycule and I'm all set. 

I'm sensing Roko is an independent agent and will remain so unless May, Beeps, or Yay makes a perfectly timed play and hits her when she's weak.  Then she'll stay in the relationship because that's what good people do, even when their partner is foul-mouthed, wussy, or a multi-tentacular monstrosity.  I don't have enough internet points yet, so I can't bet on Yay FTW, but that's my pick.  Yay has already intimated as much in 4040, even though Roko called her "Nerd" in response....

Winslow met Roko once and immediately went googly eyed over her, so that might be a story line for another time. I don't think Roko is adverse to having a romantic partner, that's why she went on that one (disastrous) date with Pintsize.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:00 »

Uh oh. Were you Clinton or Elliot (or Renee)?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #23 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:17 »

Comic's out...why do I genuinely want to read that trilogy duology with another book on the end?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #24 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:20 »

Ha. Such nerdity...  :-D

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:28 »

Is it bad that I know which game Elliot is talking about? (Pretty sure it’s Europa Universalis IV.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:29 »

The date (if that's what it is. Can it be a date if only one person considers it one?) seems to be going well.

Your daughter turning against you is the LEAST you can expect when you exchange her for peace. She's a person, not a rare trading card!

Is it bad that I know which game Elliot is talking about? (Pretty sure it’s Europa Universalis IV.)

I think it's a good thing :)  What use is a reference like that if no-one actually gets it?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2020, 18:33 »

I am once again bewildered by the forums (and probably Jeph's, I dunno) obsession over whether any given interaction is Officially a Date (TM).

Spending time with a person in order to get to know them better and learn whether you are compatible and whether your initial attraction is more than just that is an important part of developing a relationship, whether or not it's Officially a Date (TM).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mavadotar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #28 on: 10 Aug 2020, 19:38 »

I mean, Prussia screams Europa Universalis 4, but the family dynamics say Crusader Kings 2 to me.

Gyrre

« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2020, 20:57 »

Looks like the scattered disc found out they shpuld make sure the kid they're arranging a marriage for is cool with it first.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2020, 21:10 »

When it comes to this specific situation, for me it's not so much whether or not this qualifies as 'Officially a Date (TM)', but more: are Elliot and Clinton on the same page about what they're doing? If Elliot thinks: 'this is a date, to see if we can get a romantic relationship going', and Clinton thinks: 'cool, lunch with a friend while discussing video games', well... That could lead to some very awkward moments.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2020, 22:01 »

If Brun ends up in a romantic relationship, I'd like to see it with a new cast member. I think a funny thing would be several characters in comic either trying to date her or shipping her with other members of the cast leading to a wacky series of events only for the arc to end with her having met someone off screen and introducing them as her date. Then we can do a flashback to how they met. Renee ends up being overprotective/suspicious but it turns out that Brun did just fine on her own and her date is totally a good person. 

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2020, 22:18 »

Huh, Elliot didn't strike me as the EUIV type.

I am once again bewildered by the forums (and probably Jeph's, I dunno) obsession over whether any given interaction is Officially a Date (TM).
Most of the forum are shippers, and talking about shipping gets one yelled at, so talking about "dates" is a way to skirt the rule.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2020, 22:59 »

Shipping where there is clearly established attraction in-comic at least in one direction is, so far as I am aware, perfectly fine. No need to skirt around it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 10 Aug 2020, 23:37 »

So, it's confirmed that Elliot plays Europa Univeralis (that's the only strategy game I know of with stuff like that happening all the time)! Meanwhile, I think that Clinton likes the same sort of sci-fi novels that Jeph does!

By the way, the alien princess in panel 4 is a pretty good idea of what I suspect new!May will look like.

Looks like the scattered disc found out they shpuld make sure the kid they're arranging a marriage for is cool with it first.

Autocrats never do their research ahead of time. It's why the plucky revolutions always take them so totally by surprise!
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #35 on: 10 Aug 2020, 23:57 »

Uh oh. Were you Clinton or Elliot (or Renee)?
Elliot; by the time he caught on, though, Clinton was very vocal about not leaning that way. Never heard of him since. I do hope it doesn't turn that way in the comic.

Coincidentally, we were discussing Crusader Kings, at the time.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

oddtail

« Reply #36 on: 11 Aug 2020, 01:34 »

I'm pretty sure the NPC situation described in the comic is not remotely on the same level of complexity as Europa Universalis (EU doesn't really *have* NPCs beyond leaders with a bunch of very simple stats, and there's not really any personal interaction with them in the game). I think the game is a fictional (generic?) combination of elements from Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings.

EDIT: OK, upon rereading the comic, if you interpret "married off my daughter" as a flavourful description of clicking the "Royal marriage" option, and the deal as a similarly fanciful description of using a royal marriage to get your relationship number high enough for the other country to agree to an alliance, you can *technically* have that scenario in EU (but again, the level of detail is not in the actual game mechanics). I don't *think* EU keeps track of all individual NPCs for the purpose of royal marriages, I think it's just automatically possible to have a royal marriage with any kingdom. But I haven't played EU4 in about a year, so if I'm talking out my ass, anyone correct me.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2020, 02:22 by oddtail »

厚目眠子

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 11 Aug 2020, 05:17 »

My suspicion is that Jeph is planning a prolonged arc for her learning the nature of friendship and the difference between friendship and romantic attraction
Nuances among social relations of various types are challenging understanding, therefore I'm eager to read what examines such.
the difference between friendship and romantic attraction (and, more importantly, the fact that, confusingly, there is sometimes no difference at all)
Two things being different and the same is contradictory.
that one (disastrous) date with Pintsize.
Roko liked bread. Pintsize durably publically explicitly stated that he wanted to shoot toast at "your" body. Roko agreed to a date with Pintsize. Pintsize shot toast at Roko. Roko disliked that?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2020, 05:38 »

the difference between friendship and romantic attraction (and, more importantly, the fact that, confusingly, there is sometimes no difference at all)

Two things being different and the same is contradictory.

Yes; that's why understanding the occasional overlap or lack of first-glance differences between the two states is so difficult for people to grasp sometimes. It takes time and exposure to figure which of the two it is (or whether it is both).
~~~~

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2020, 05:48 »

that one (disastrous) date with Pintsize.
Roko liked bread. Pintsize durably publically explicitly stated that he wanted to shoot toast at "your" body. Roko agreed to a date with Pintsize. Pintsize shot toast at Roko. Roko disliked that?
Yes, because Roko was trying to come to some understanding of who Pintsize was, and getting no response.  Pintsize was trying to live out his sexual fantasy and not getting the response he wanted either.  Both leave the date highly dissatisfied.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #40 on: 11 Aug 2020, 06:14 »

If Brun ends up in a romantic relationship, I'd like to see it with a new cast member. I think a funny thing would be several characters in comic either trying to date her or shipping her with other members of the cast leading to a wacky series of events only for the arc to end with her having met someone off screen and introducing them as her date. Then we can do a flashback to how they met. Renee ends up being overprotective/suspicious but it turns out that Brun did just fine on her own and her date is totally a good person.

Does Millefeuille count?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 11 Aug 2020, 06:45 »

Does Millefeuille count?

I'll throw down my marker here. Milli was originally just a background character associated with the 'cloaked emu' joke break in the 'Winslow's New Body' mini-arc. When Jeph brought her back and started fleshing her out, I think that he designed the character deliberately as a bespoke romantic interest for Brun. I just wonder if he did that because he didn't want to risk angering either Bruniot or Brunton shippers by choosing one of the other or whether he just wanted to give her a same-gender pairing to troll people he doesn't like.
~~~~

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #42 on: 11 Aug 2020, 06:49 »

Popping in as I do once in a blue moon to say... I really like this comic. (In general, or this page? Yes.) The fact that multiple outcomes are possible just means there's been really good setup. I am usually REALLY SKEPTICAL of romances in most media because they seem rushed or forced and the people haven't had any time to bond. This bonding over videogames is adorable and I love them and I wish them both happiness and much continued friendship, wherever this goes!!!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #43 on: 11 Aug 2020, 10:21 »

Global Moderator Comment The bad kind of shipping is the Harry/Draco kind, unmotivated and orientation-incompatible. It carries no respect for the creator's property or ideas. It gets explicit without need. Do the opposite of that, and you're just trying to predict the direction of relationships in a comic about relationships.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2020, 13:39 »

It carries no respect for the creator's property or ideas.

I see why straight-up modifying the characters should be avoided in the QCverse and on the forums, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible thing to do in any situation. J. K. Rowling recently slammed trans people, and the fanfic community retaliated by releasing a wave of stories that portrayed Hermione as a trans character. If Rowling can't respect that trans people are human, then she deserves to have her work "disrespected."

(Of course, Jeph is not transphobic, so that doesn't apply here.)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2020, 15:49 »

Quote from: Clinton
I see, I see.

YESSSS

HE SEEEEES

YESSSSSS
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2020, 16:34 »

Ughhh what book is he talking about

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 11 Aug 2020, 16:36 »

The second book in the Grand Deimos Palace trilogy.

duh  :mrgreen:

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #48 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:29 »

Comic.

Clinton...?

"I'm definitely attracted to her, but I don't know if that constitutes a crush."

Check me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't that essentially the definition of a crush?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #49 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:40 »

I... feel that there's a difference, but I'm finding it hard to put into words.

Most people are attracted to the people they have one-night stands with, but they don't necessarily have crushes on them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up