Elliot + Clinton + Brun
- 15 (27.3%)
Clinton + Brun (Sorry Elliot)
- 7 (12.7%)
Millie + Brun (Sorry Elliot, Clinton)
- 18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 4326-4330 (10-15 August 2020)  (Read 24044 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 4326-4330 (10-15 August 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:43 »

I think it's specifically an attraction that's unlikely to be reciprocated.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:43 »

I'd think that 'attraction' means: I like looking at you.
Whereas 'crush' means: I want to pursue a relationship with you.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #52 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:52 »

That's interesting. That's a very long way away from how I would use those words. To me, attraction can mean either of those things. "I like looking at you" is physical attraction specifically.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #53 on: 11 Aug 2020, 19:14 »

Elliot, you need to learn to be more forceful.

(Which is funny considering he's been a bouncer, I think...)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #54 on: 11 Aug 2020, 19:14 »

I like looking at people even if I don't find them terribly appealing physically, like when they're smart, or witty.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #55 on: 11 Aug 2020, 19:20 »

There are many forms of attraction, and they don't necessarily exclude a desire to pursue a relationship.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #56 on: 11 Aug 2020, 19:47 »

Indeed not. You cannot have a crush without attraction :)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #57 on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:00 »

Okay. I mean, I kinda want to say that we should agree to disagree over your suggestion that crush means I want to pursue a relationship with you. And I can kinda see why it might seem like it does. But it doesn't. Childhood crushes are a thing, and they don't mean the world is full of children looking to pursue romantic relationships.

Don't make me bust out the dictionary. No-one wants that.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #58 on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:07 »

I see why straight-up modifying the characters should be avoided in the QCverse and on the forums, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible thing to do in any situation. J. K. Rowling recently slammed trans people, and the fanfic community retaliated by releasing a wave of stories that portrayed Hermione as a trans character. If Rowling can't respect that trans people are human, then she deserves to have her work "disrespected."

That feels like the fiction-writing equivalent of calling someone you don't like a poopyhead, or sharing a meme with your friends that already agree with you. Or sharing a meme as a form of political engagement in general.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #59 on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:18 »

I did actually look at some dictionary definitions earlier, but decided against copy/pasting them into a post :D

My 'pursue a romantic relationship' explanation doesn't really cover what I was trying to say, unfortunately. Sometimes it's a shame that English isn't my first language, I'd be more comfortable trying to express this in Dutch. Oh well.

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:45 »

A lot of craftsmanship goes into this.  I love seeing townspeople in the background we've seen before.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #61 on: 11 Aug 2020, 21:31 »

I see why straight-up modifying the characters should be avoided in the QCverse and on the forums, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible thing to do in any situation. J. K. Rowling recently slammed trans people, and the fanfic community retaliated by releasing a wave of stories that portrayed Hermione as a trans character. If Rowling can't respect that trans people are human, then she deserves to have her work "disrespected."

That feels like the fiction-writing equivalent of calling someone you don't like a poopyhead, or sharing a meme with your friends that already agree with you. Or sharing a meme as a form of political engagement in general.

I don't think I said what I meant to quite right. Let me try again.

Millions of kids grew up reading Harry Potter, and certainly many of them were trans or wondering if they were. They fell in love with that universe. When J. K. Rowling spoke out against trans people, those kids essentially lost that world. Yes, they could read it any time they wanted to, but it would always be with the knowledge that its creator hated them. When these fanfic writers portrayed Hermione as trans, they found a way to give the Harry Potter world back to those people.

My point here is that by writing these characters your own way, you can separate them from their creators. It isn't about insulting Rowling (I know I said  the opposite before, but that was badly written); it's about returning the world to those who lost it.

Again--this doesn't apply to QC, because Jeph's a good guy. I just want to clarify that rewriting characters isn't an act of destruction.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #62 on: 11 Aug 2020, 21:34 »

Okay. I mean, I kinda want to say that we should agree to disagree over your suggestion that crush means I want to pursue a relationship with you. And I can kinda see why it might seem like it does. But it doesn't. Childhood crushes are a thing, and they don't mean the world is full of children looking to pursue romantic relationships.

Would it be more accurate to state that a crush involves some degree of infatuation?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #63 on: 11 Aug 2020, 21:39 »

Millions of kids grew up reading Harry Potter, and certainly many of them were trans or wondering if they were. They fell in love with that universe. When J. K. Rowling spoke out against trans people, those kids essentially lost that world. Yes, they could read it any time they wanted to, but it would always be with the knowledge that its creator hated them. When these fanfic writers portrayed Hermione as trans, they found a way to give the Harry Potter world back to those people.

My point here is that by writing these characters your own way, you can separate them from their creators. It isn't about insulting Rowling (I know I said  the opposite before, but that was badly written); it's about returning the world to those who lost it.

Again--this doesn't apply to QC, because Jeph's a good guy. I just want to clarify that rewriting characters isn't an act of destruction.
Look up "Giuseppe Stromboli" for a good laugh.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #64 on: 11 Aug 2020, 22:08 »

*shrug* if it makes people feel better about playing in her sandbox I suppose. But I don't think it's quite the grand gesture or protest or reclamation you think it is.

It's a fact of life, though, at some point some creator of something you love is going to say or do something (maybe a lot of somethings, Hello Lovecraft my boy!) you're gonna hate. How a person reconciles the story they love with the thing they hate is up to them.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #65 on: 11 Aug 2020, 22:17 »

For me, it's much easier to enjoy the works of problematic people who are dead than ones that are living.  At least then, you're not tacitly supporting their asshattery by giving them money.  I suppose that pirates can side-step that last bit, but still.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 11 Aug 2020, 22:19 »

There used to be a thread in DISCUSS about what to do with art from creators you disapprove of. It died a long time ago and I didn't find it as far back as I looked.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #67 on: 11 Aug 2020, 23:19 »

Oh, hey pickup window lady! I know you; you're a regular at Coffee of Doom and you're friends with the synthetic girl who told Marigold that Dale's abs are definitely worth ogling whilst contained in a superhero costume! I'm not sure if you're the same lady who Emily calls 'Bleminda'.

The conversation in this strip is interesting. It's clear that Elliot is able to talk about this quite easily so long as there is this fiction that he is not attracted to Clinton. He can even laugh about how Brun is so strongly in demand!

With regard to the difference between 'attraction' and 'crush', I think that the thing about a Crush is that it more strongly modifies behaviour. You get shy, clumsy and generally nervous about being around that person. This is what I posted yesterday about the difference between 'friendship' and 'attraction' and how the two can merge. Brun is also Clinton's friend and he cares about her to the degree that he doesn't want his physical attraction to her to impact on their interactions, especially knowing that she might not understand what he's doing. It would be harder for him to do that if he were crushing on her.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #68 on: 11 Aug 2020, 23:32 »

Crush vs attraction. I think the simplest form is that an attraction holds your attention when you’re in their presenceą while a crush holds it even when they’re not.

ą for these purposes images can count.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 11 Aug 2020, 23:46 »

Would it be more accurate to state that a crush involves some degree of infatuation?

That would be fair.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #70 on: 12 Aug 2020, 00:10 »

There used to be a thread in DISCUSS about what to do with art from creators you disapprove of. It died a long time ago and I didn't find it as far back as I looked.

Separating an artist from their work?

I found this thread a while ago since I struggle with my love of Harry Potter and my dislike of J K Rowling's comments.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2020, 00:30 by Farideh »

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #71 on: 12 Aug 2020, 00:47 »

Oh, hey pickup window lady! I know you; you're a regular at Coffee of Doom and you're friends with the synthetic girl who told Marigold that Dale's abs are definitely worth ogling whilst contained in a superhero costume! I'm not sure if you're the same lady who Emily calls 'Bleminda'.

No, I don't think that's bleminda. Bleminda has longer hair, likely dyed, and different glasses. Oh, yeah, and she usually wears a N7 sweater. See reference.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #72 on: 12 Aug 2020, 00:56 »

A crush is a very pleasant hormonal reaction. It causes a heightened sex drive and heightened positive emotional reactions to the subject of the crush. It lasts three months, after that time the brain stops producing the hormone in question. Which is why many couples break up after three months, because they lose the rosy tinted glasses they saw their partner with and they realize its not the person they want to spent the rest of their lifes with.

Having a crush isnt the same as falling in love, and a crush requires attraction, but isnt limited to it.

The hormone that you get during a crush is also contained in cocoa, which is why people love eating cocoa, especially during romantic troubles.

Rowling says transgenders shouldnt be allowed to mislead people about the fact that they are transgenders. In the world of this comic, thats as if Marten would not have been informed beforehand that Claire is transgender and wouldnt be allowed to protest against it or leave the relationship because of it.
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 12 Aug 2020, 01:20 »

As ever, a concept that I had assumed to have a commonly understood meaning turns out to be anything but.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #74 on: 12 Aug 2020, 02:06 »

Here you are.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #75 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:12 »

As ever, a concept that I had assumed to have a commonly understood meaning turns out to be anything but.
Words are a very poor medium for conveying emotional states. And people misuse them deliberately and accidentally then suddenly the new meaning takes over and the cycle repeats. If neither thing were true, no-one would have invented poetry.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

厚目眠子

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 12 Aug 2020, 03:58 »

that one (disastrous) date with Pintsize.
Roko liked bread. Pintsize durably publically explicitly stated that he wanted to shoot toast at "your" body. Roko agreed to a date with Pintsize. Pintsize shot toast at Roko. Roko disliked that?
Roko was trying to come to some understanding of who Pintsize was, and getting no response.  Pintsize was trying to live out his sexual fantasy and not getting the response he wanted either.  Both leave the date highly dissatisfied.
Roko wanted more than toast shot at him.

Quote from: JELLYMAN
Relation is Dead, mismatch.

厚目眠子

• Plantmonster
« Reply #77 on: 12 Aug 2020, 04:38 »

Words are a very poor medium for conveying emotional states. And people misuse them deliberately and accidentally then suddenly the new meaning takes over and the cycle repeats. If neither thing were true, no-one would have invented poetry.
Poetry means formally. (Contrast prose.) Used for mnemosis, esthesis, emphasis,,

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:09 »

Contrast free form poetry.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

ischaemia

• Plantmonster
  • Almost necrosis
« Reply #79 on: 12 Aug 2020, 06:34 »

For me personally, I'd attribute a crush to something more akin to infatuation and a slight obsessiveness (ie: thinking about them constantly, accidentally imagining them close to you as you drift to sleep, being terrified of their nearness, etc.) whereas attraction is more like "ah, yes, this person is someone I find (subjectively) appealing," but without the aforementioned qualities of infatuation. If you have the former, you generally have the latter, but if you have an attraction, you don't necessarily have that crush kind of quality to it.

This is a bit of a tangent but, I'd argue even that while it's hard to have a crush without attraction (lucidly observed) it's totally possible to have that tropey anger/rival crush, where you have a latent attraction you don't want to give a voice to (and that can be fun when employed! I just don't think it's something we've seen in this comic for a while, if nothing else).

I hate to say it, but I was almost hoping the game mentioned last comic to be a segue into another alternative comic from Jeph like Alice Grove LOL

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #80 on: 12 Aug 2020, 08:34 »

Ughhh what book is he talking about

The caption seems a reference to the Expanse series, and it does feature an interstellar Emperor, and he does have a (rebellious) daughter, but no arranged marriages, at least not so far...?  :psyduck:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #81 on: 12 Aug 2020, 08:49 »

Does it have an Oort Federation? I'm only interested in the Oort Federation.

What are they? What do they do? Why do they need to be defended against? Who is their leader?

Do they live in the Oort Cloud? Did they make the Oort Cloud? Is the Oort Cloud even real?1

Answers, people. I crave answers.

1 Most sources I found said it was theoretical.

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:57 »

:) just gonna throw in that while asexual people sometimes call nonsexual crushes "squishes," I can absolutely talk about having crushes on people and have people understand what I'm talking about when there's no sexual attraction <3 strength of emotion is key tho!

I'd interpret "not sure if it's a crush" to mean not sure if the emotion is that strong.

Kein Kunstler

• Not quite a lurker
  • A surrogate band
    • Kein Kunstler (inchoate)
« Reply #83 on: 12 Aug 2020, 11:54 »

Contrast free form poetry.
Many a text uses both---let's not haste the distinction's disposal. Prose seems familiar enough: it rarely permeates popular conscience; some sentences about it are warranted. As noted by 厚目眠子, the poetry of a text comprises it's formalities---metre, rhyme, rhythm,, Prose means materially: words, phrases, paragraphs,, Our familiarity lends  poetry comprising nonprosaicalities But a poem? Each has significant poetry. Each prose piece has significant prose. Much freeform poetry is prose. Some poets disclaim the more prosaic than poetic. (Compare: this.) Many prose pieces have been falsely called ``poetry.'' This disinformation propagation, let by noneducation, established another sense of the word. Calembourists elate.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #84 on: 12 Aug 2020, 13:01 »

I could see a mueslix mix with this relationship thing where everyone is unsure about everyone else.
The simple thing is they like each other and all really like Brun.

I can picture a moment of realization for everyone [ Brun still not sure on anything ] ending with a group hug with Brun in the centre "berf".
Okay, I just want to see that scene in a full panel.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage

wiserd

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #86 on: 12 Aug 2020, 17:06 »

I'm betting on an Elliot- Clinton romance of some type. Does anyone else think Jeph has been drawing Clinton a bit more twinkish very recently?

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #87 on: 12 Aug 2020, 18:13 »

New comic!

Elliot came clean! Good on him, shame Renee isn't there to stop him from running away. Can't wait to see how Clinton is going to react.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #88 on: 12 Aug 2020, 18:36 »

I just can't believe this is a Thursday page.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 12 Aug 2020, 18:46 »

Anyone want to take the usual joke about us having Steve eating cereal tomorrow? Anyone? I can take it if no-one else wants it.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #90 on: 12 Aug 2020, 18:50 »

Yay, Elliot finally confessed! :D

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #91 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:01 »

I'm proud of ya, Elliot.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #92 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:09 »

What the hell are YOU staring at?

Golonya

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #93 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:16 »

So, today's strip (8/12, Elliot coming clean) was perfect enough to make me register for the forums. I am also, evidently, a robot or robot leaning, due to my reaction to three more than five being "no". But that aside--as a tiger once said, it's that dawning moment of comprehension that I live for. I wonder what'll happen next?
"It's that moment of dawning comprehension I live for." --Hobbes

tbodt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:20 »

(original content removed)

Administrator Comment Link to Patreon strip removed. This forum is public, and we do not allow discussion of the currently private content that is accessible to those who pay Jeph through Patreon. The point originally made in this post can be made here tomorrow when the strip is public.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2020, 02:27 by pwhodges »

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #95 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:23 »

So, today's strip (8/12, Elliot coming clean) was perfect enough to make me register for the forums. I am also, evidently, a robot or robot leaning, due to my reaction to three more than five being "no". But that aside--as a tiger once said, it's that dawning moment of comprehension that I live for. I wonder what'll happen next?

Welcome!

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #96 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:26 »

these past few days of comics and then today's have led to me running around and trying to get my friends to read it lol. friends? random discord acquaintances? entire twitter following? everyone just go look at the cuteness okay

Onyx

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #97 on: 12 Aug 2020, 19:51 »

My Bi ass is squealing SO HARD right now! Go Elliot!

Edit: Also: been reading the comic for years and years, had an old account to forum I lost, registered this one over a year ago, and it is STILL my first post (with this account - old one had posts). I super love this and Elliot is one of my fav characters.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #98 on: 12 Aug 2020, 20:08 »

I just can't believe this is a Thursday page.
...shit. That means there is no Patreon page tomorrow.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #99 on: 12 Aug 2020, 20:18 »

Elliot--good job finally confessing, even if it was in the most roundabout way possible. Clinton--credit for figuring it out, points off for time taken.

I am fighting myself SO HARD right now. My pessimistic (and realistic, in my opinion) bet was on Clinton saying no, but I really want them to get together.  :psyduck:  :psyduck:

My fate lies in the hands of the great Jacques now; may he end it swiftly and with mercy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up