Fun Stuff > ENJOY

The Force is With Us! (Star Wars franchise general disucssion thread)

<< < (2/13) > >>

BenRG:
I think it's interesting that you should mention that because I think that there are a lot of similar commercial and artistic motivations. The Kelvin Timeline exists because J J Abrams wanted to be able to tell stories in a Star Trek-like universe without being too limited by three decades of franchise canon plus several tonnes of official supporting material. The Abrams/Johnson Sequel Trilogy had a lot of the same pressures on it: Wanting to have a distinct and clear 'Disney Star Wars' universe separate from but tangentially connected to the classic stories so that original tales could be told without being too limited by existing canon.

It seems that a lot of the same problems have also been encountered by Disney that have also been encountered by Paramount and CBS: The majority of the fan base wants stuff in line with the existing canon and response to the 'updated' universes that have been presented in the last decade or so has been increasingly lukewarm. I'm not sure what Trek's position is but I understand that Disney Star Wars is barely breaking even and may even be running at a deficit, so a radical change of direction is definitely necessary for Disney. Redoing three entire main thread films from scratch would be a hugely radical and enormously risky step, I agree. A lot depends on just how desperate Disney is to rebuild bridges with the majority of the Star Wars fan-base.

FWIW, the rumour is that the redo of the Sequel Trilogy is Lucas's condition for replacing Kathleen Kennedy and 'saving Star Wars'. I don't know how true that might be. Personally, given that he seems to have personally 'anointed' Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni as his chosen successors and heirs, I would be more inclined to give him an advisory role and give them the responsibility to move the franchise forwards. Clone Wars, Rebels and The Mandelorian suggest that they have what it takes.

Tova:

--- Quote from: BenRG on 25 Aug 2020, 00:18 ---
--- Quote from: Thrillho on 24 Aug 2020, 09:27 ---However I cannot imagine a more redunant idea than doing a remake of the Star Wars sequels :psyduck:
--- End quote ---

Apparently, Lucas's story for episodes 7-9 bear very little similarity to what J J Abrams and Rian Johnson gave us. Almost the only point of commonality is that Luke's current Padawan Learner is a powerful girl of uncertain heritage called 'Rey'.

--- End quote ---

I strongly suspect that this is an exaggeration, though I don't doubt there are major differences. There is a gulf between idea and final screenplay across all the SW films, is there not?

Also, my understanding is that the concept of an older Luke dismayed by an ex-student is a much older concept than the two directors of the trilogy.

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/943965533623304194

BenRG:
At the risk of  turning this thread into a fan-film rec thread, I found this one today and I fell in love:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nCFrRZ2JCc

LeeC:
Well this was announced today!

We're getting a Rogue Squadron TV show!

Torlek:
We're getting a Rogue Squadron movie. Ahsoka's getting expanded into a full series (and Thrwan is likely to be the big bad). Andor looks promising (if nothing else, Diego Luna is having the time of his life). Lando series (staring Donald Glover? We can hope). Hayden Christensen back to play Vader in the Kenobi series (somewhat unsure of that one, but I'm curious what he'll do when not beholden to Lucas's direction). Then there's the rest.

GET.

HYPE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version