THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Mayvellous New Chassis Adventure!

Sorta humanoid but not particularly close to human-looking (Seven and Jeremy)
- 0 (0%)
Basically the same level of fidelity but in a much better state of repair (Melon)
- 4 (10.8%)
High fidelity but with uniquely synthetic touches (Beepatrice and Millie)
- 5 (13.5%)
High-fidelity but still distinctly synthetic (old Roko)
- 5 (13.5%)
High fidelity but something distinctly different from human average (Bubbles and Yay)
- 6 (16.2%)
Very high-fidelity; only the colour marks as synthetic (new Roko)
- 10 (27%)
"Oh my Turing, they've got the dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid/UCAV on sale!"
- 6 (16.2%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4341 to 4345 (31st August to 4th September 2020)  (Read 23759 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

So, it very much looks like we'll be seeing New MayTM either this week or next week. So, the time has come to re-address an older poll and ask: What kind of new chassis May is going to get?

Naturally, as she's working from a budget, it is reasonable that she's not going to be able to get her dream body but is going to be able to avoid getting another 'Human-sized Barbie doll' and she'll definitely be able to avoid another junker (although a reconditioned second hand unit is not beyond possibility). The thing is that May of today has been through experiences that may have changed her priorities somewhat.

As boring as it seems, I'm expecting something along the lines of an older-series Philomina model - humanoid enough but with the occasional touch that shows that it is still synthetic like the featureless ears - subtle but there. The shipper in me is also looking forward to the first meeting between May v.3 and Sven!

Of course, I could be wrong and it might be that there is a ultra-high-fidelity model that curiously resembles May's Fire Emblem daydream and is inexplicably on clearance for some reason ("It turns out that 'Amazon Warrior Princess' is a bit of a niche market"). If that happens, I'm going to be looking suspiciously at Yay. After all, they want to help Roko and influencing May towards jumping for a nice body that just happens to be on sale by, say, controlled advertisement exposure and manipulation of video recommendations algorithms is well within their capabilities without breaching their ethics!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

But what does Yay gain from that kind of exchange?  If it ever became known that Yay influenced the market this way, it would hurt Yay and Roko's relationship, perhaps seriously.

Besides, the Fire Emblem body is much taller than May is now, and May has already said she likes being short and blue.  I'm going to hold out for a blue Philomena-like body for May...
This space intentionally left almost blank.

tbodt

• Not quite a lurker

What kind of new chassis May is going to get?

Big boobs

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Llife-sized MegaBox version of her current model. Complete with functional recharging cube.  :laugh:

Yes, the robot folds up into a cube.

EDIT: changed the image size
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2020, 09:50 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage

But what does Yay gain from that kind of exchange?  If it ever became known that Yay influenced the market this way, it would hurt Yay and Roko's relationship, perhaps seriously.

Not influenced the market, influenced May in the direction that they assumed from what Roko had said, they had assumed Roko wanted her to go. Yay may not be into mind control but they are still under the impression that the smartest person in the room should be the one making the decisions, no matter how indirectly.

Also, yes, it would upset Roko but it might be interesting to watch her trying to explain to Yay the difference between educating people to do the right thing and using subconscious programming to influence them to do what you think is the right thing. Because the dividing line is very imprecise and difficult to explain.
~~~~

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Sounds like she knows what she wants.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Is it just me, or do those strippers look familiar?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I don't know, but I think I know where they're going to get coffee.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Beast_Reborn

• Plantmonster

Momo once asked May if she wanted to appear more human, and May said she liked being a "blue robot chick". (Googling the phrase to find a link to the comic, I found that this has been discussed on the forum before. Still, in the absence of a searchable, comprehensive QC transcription project, I think links are always useful.) So I don't think she'll go for something too human-looking. She might try to get something more sexually functional, but it's hard to speculate there as the comic has never gone into what the possibilities are in that department.

Also, I have to say I like the looks of this store. Just look at all those houseplants!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

May has had a long time to think about what kind of body she wants :)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

On the other hand, she was so convinced she would never get one, it would be unsurprising if she'd never spent any time on such pipe dreams.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I'm with Roko here.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

"And a really HUGE, GIGANTIC warranty!"

Gyrre

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing "dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid" are from Macross?

EDIT to avoid double posting.

Turns out the human body has 7 'through-holes'
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2020, 19:23 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

"TALL" as her first personal taste choice?  That's interesting - I wouldn't have suspected that May has a problem with being (only relatively) short.

"WITH BIG TITS"   Of course  :roll:  - but I suspect that she'll test-drive a model with an oversized chest and her practical side will kick in, e.g. :"How can you do anything with these always getting in the way?!?" - and look for something a bit less - extreme.

"AND A HUMAN-STANDARD NUMBER OF HOLES" ..... ROFL
Understandably, no more "Barbie Doll" for May!  :laugh:

But blue - she did say she liked being the blue robot chick.

Tall, with substantial-but-not-excessively-large bust...and a capacity for being as human-like as she possibly can - while still plainly being a robot.

So her fantasy body from #4336 probably is her ideal?  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Not sure, but I do like the fact that they're still pouting even when they're off the clock :D

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

All things considered, how modular are AI bodies?  Like, what extensions, features, etc could be added or removed per the AI's preference?  The bodies seen so far don't seem to imply much post-production customizability outside of hair and maybe skin (replacement that's outside of maintenance/repairs), but it's also not come up in story.  Like, suppose May gets a body with melons, but decides later she'd rather have lemons...is an aftermarket feature switch possible or is she more or less stuck with what she gets?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

beeawwb

• Not quite a lurker

I was initially confused in to thinking the male stripper was Elliot the first time I saw them. Comparing today's strip (4341) with one from ~a week ago (4335) I can certainly see why I thought that. Compare panel 1 of 4335 with today, the hair structure (minus colour), nose shape, basic chin shape (minus cleft) etc. There's a lot of similarity.

Female stripper reminds me slightly of Hannelore for similar reasons.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I think AI bodies can be customized to some extent, like Millefeuille getting a bigger butt.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

"BIG TITS...HUMAN-STANDARD NUMBER OF HOLES"

Sounds like that meeting between May 3.0 and Sven-Is-Not-A-Mooch is gonna happen sooner rather than later...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

If Seeker-15 is a reference to Megatron’s F-15 minions I choose that option since May might still be dreaming of a flight capable chassis.  However, given her latest criteria I think she’s going to pick the Adrian Barbeau-bot.

BenRG

• coprophage

For everyone's information, 'Seeker' is a Transformers G1 reference; it's the generic name for the Decepticons' troops who transform into combat aircraft.

It's a subtle bit of characterisation but the way May is talking makes me think that she's still not sure this is really happening. So, she is wasting as little time as possible on extraneous verbage and focussing on getting what she wants done before either she wakes up or the world suddenly decides that they didn't mean it after all!

The guy is pretty obviously just a redress of Elliott; the lady doesn't ring any bells for me.

Sounds like that meeting between May 3.0 and Sven-Is-Not-A-Mooch is gonna happen sooner rather than later...

I can't help but wonder to what degree Sven teaching her the delights of intimacy has changed her priorities about that a body can do. I also wonder to what degree she's buying for herself and to what degree she's buying for him. I'd say probably a 70/30 split in her favour.
~~~~

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Regarding the strippers' familiarity: wow Wil and Cosette really got into their own physicality while they were off-screen, huh? :x

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

regarding AI body modular construction: I think it's not unreasonable to conclude, based on what we've seen, that the vast majority of AI bodies aren't really post-market modular. i mean, they *can* be modded, and it may not even be that hard, relatively, for a lot of them. If you have the parts with the proprietary connectors or ID chips to greenflag interface with the rest of the body. or have the know-how to fabricate them.

like, manufacturing realities will probably mean that a variety of limbs can be connected to a chassis, for example. among other things, that lets you more easily market a stable of variants. You may even offer a 'build a body' service where a more well-to-do buyer can mix-and-match variant options a la dress-up browser games, then put them together and ship out after the check clears.
(also maybe there's a relatively flimsy connection-tab or weld or something added as part of the finishing that voids a warranty if it's broken, but *has* to be broken to swap out the limb, to discourage non-first party repair/maintenance)

on top of all that, we've seen scant evidence that most body models are capable of basic self-service/hot-swapping. which to be fair, most AIs it's come up with (which to also be fair isn't many) seem to share human squeamishness regarding uh... their inner workings, we'll say. Which, fair. but also would probably imply there's not a lot of pressure on manufacturer's to offer the capability on that front, either.

personally i suspect they're on the level of laptops, at least where laptops were a decade ago when i last paid attention: moddable, with some work and perhaps some risk, but not accessibly modular at all to the common user.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

Oh hey, it's a menorah! :o
Thank you - I was just about to post this.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Obviously robots have to be moddable, since they have to be repairable.

Thats the core disadvantage of machines vs biological matter - biological matter can be made self repairing.
Carpe Diem

Gerardic

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I was initially confused in to thinking the male stripper was Elliot the first time I saw them. Comparing today's strip (4341) with one from ~a week ago (4335) I can certainly see why I thought that. Compare panel 1 of 4335 with today, the hair structure (minus colour), nose shape, basic chin shape (minus cleft) etc. There's a lot of similarity.

Female stripper reminds me slightly of Hannelore for similar reasons.

Yeah the male stripper made me think of Elliot/Steve mix. Maybe Elliot brother?

The female stripper on other hand instantly made me think of Pizza girl. Is JJ teasing us once again? After all, we never saw Pizza girl without mask, and we don't see this stripper with eyes open.... (Pizza girl and Penelope had identical hair in earlier comics, and Penelope hair in latter art was more oranger just like this stripper's hair)

Gyrre

For everyone's information, 'Seeker' is a Transformers G1 reference; it's the generic name for the Decepticons' troops who transform into combat aircraft.

It's a subtle bit of characterisation but the way May is talking makes me think that she's still not sure this is really happening. So, she is wasting as little time as possible on extraneous verbage and focussing on getting what she wants done before either she wakes up or the world suddenly decides that they didn't mean it after all!

The guy is pretty obviously just a redress of Elliott; the lady doesn't ring any bells for me.

I can't help but wonder to what degree Sven teaching her the delights of intimacy has changed her priorities about that a body can do. I also wonder to what degree she's buying for herself and to what degree she's buying for him. I'd say probably a 70/30 split in her favour.

Okay.

I'm just used to them being referred to as 'Seekers'. Sleep's been weird and a cursor searche of the extended page broughttwo pics of Valkyries.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I think the male stripper might be Chad. Not the Chad who worked at the electronics store who didn’t want to sell a webcam to Sam, but the other Chad, the Bro who is bad at math but good at having sex with Clinton’s mom.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.

I think the male stripper might be Chad. Not the Chad who worked at the electronics store who didn’t want to sell a webcam to Sam,...
It was a Blue Yeti microphone.

And LOL the background of panel 5  :laugh:
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

"Buy yourself a new ass. You deserve it."

I love the background signs so much.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

Hmmm.  If given the option of a reconditioned Bubbles-type body, which fits "Tall with big tits", would May take it if it came in blue?  If yes, would this be a good thing?

notStanley

• Larger than most fish

If May insists on "excessive" melons, will the sales rep at least be able to convince her of the need for reinforced spine & load-bearing structures?  Perhaps even a larger battery to handle the increased usage of her gyroscopes?  Though the melons themselves could house the extra gyros.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Hmmmmmmmm.  The Josefina MX does seem to be a contender.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

If yes, would this be a good thing?
is there a reason it shouldn't be?
May, with impulse control issues, in a body capable of busting a brick wall (3066).  What could possibly go wrong...

Of course, after her parole is done, then she'd clean up at the robot fights.  Maybe that would be enough to sooth her built-in rage?

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

Wait.  More than human standard # of holes is an available option??!??  Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyyy!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

There's redeemable POINTS for robot bodies. 0_o Just... wow.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

Now we wait and see if May actually walks out of their in the MX or if she tries to self sabotage herself again and refuse their points. I'm kinda worried she might try the later, she's been doing so consistently thus far.

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad

Poor May, she still can't beleive people are doing things like this for her. She looks like she's either going to cry (or try to) or smoke's going to come out of her ears.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I like the Josephina, she has a May kind of feel about her.

Somehow I doubt that May is going to refuse the points - if she tries, Roko and Beeps will just say that the points are their contribution to the fundraiser.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

Poor May, she still can't beleive people are doing things like this for her. She looks like she's either going to cry (or try to) or smoke's going to come out of her ears.

In fairness to May, smoke could come out of her ears at any time without regard to her mental state.

Now we wait and see if May actually walks out of their in the MX or if she tries to self sabotage herself again and refuse their points. I'm kinda worried she might try the later, she's been doing so consistently thus far.

Plot twist, she uses the points to reduce the cost of a less fancy, practical chassis and tells Roko and Beeps to use the rest of the fundraiser money she ends up not using to help somebody else.

Then she calls them assbutts.

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication

I think one of the first things May's going to do is cry a bit, hug Roko and Beeps...

And then swear to do something unpleasant and anatomically improbable if they ever tell.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

Same. For me it's the eyebrows. I don't know why but it is.

Wagimawr

• Facebook

Then she calls them assbutts.

This is the free space on the May bingo card.

Actually no, more like Faye. May's more likely to, ah, not bowdlerize herself.

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop

Next strip May wakes up and realizes it was all a dream

Gyrre

Sweet criminy, Beeps!
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

There's redeemable POINTS for robot bodies. 0_o Just... wow.

Think of it like frequent flyer miles, or a rewards card. Or Vime's boot theory of economics.

Same. For me it's the eyebrows. I don't know why but it is.

Groucho Marx eyebrow waggling.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster

I like it, i hope she goes for it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up