THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Mayvellous New Chassis Adventure!

Sorta humanoid but not particularly close to human-looking (Seven and Jeremy)
- 0 (0%)
Basically the same level of fidelity but in a much better state of repair (Melon)
- 4 (10.8%)
High fidelity but with uniquely synthetic touches (Beepatrice and Millie)
- 5 (13.5%)
High-fidelity but still distinctly synthetic (old Roko)
- 5 (13.5%)
High fidelity but something distinctly different from human average (Bubbles and Yay)
- 6 (16.2%)
Very high-fidelity; only the colour marks as synthetic (new Roko)
- 10 (27%)
"Oh my Turing, they've got the dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid/UCAV on sale!"
- 6 (16.2%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4341 to 4345 (31st August to 4th September 2020)  (Read 23775 times)

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Wait.  More than human standard # of holes is an available option??!??  Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I probably don't actually want to know the answer to this, but since it's come up twice now I can't help wondering... Where would they put the extra orifices on robot bodies that have more than the human standard number of holes?

Less orifices I understand easily enough - AIs probably don't need ear canals to hear properly, or AIs who aren't interested in sexual relations with humans likely wouldn't care if they had May's current barbie doll like set up, etc. (Seven once mentioned something about her and Jeremy burning through multiple cables in one night).

It's probably very human-centric of me but the idea of extra orifices is super weird. Roko, Beeps, May and the sales person all seem to be just considering it as nothing more than a regular customisation question though.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

I saw the name tag on the sales AI and got to wondering how AIs get their names.

Do they decide themselves once they reach a certain level of maturity? Do the maintenance workers at the creches choose for them? Is it selected randomly from a database?

Also, are their names legally bound to them, like with humans (we can legally change our names, but it's a process)? Do AIs that weren't previously AnthroPCs also have serial numbers, or are those bound only to their chassis?

And on the subject of "sales AI": what's the acceptable term to use for that? Salesman, saleswoman, and salesperson seem wrong, and "salesbot" feels offensive.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

The name thing is interesting. Both Bubbles and May got their name from someone else: Bubbles from her squad, and May from Dale. With regards to other AIs (Seven, Jeremy, Millefeuille), we don't know where their names came from.

I'd assume you'd refer to the salesperson as the gender they identify with? So in this case, you could call her a 'saleswoman'.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

I like the Josephina, she has a May kind of feel about her.

Huh. I was just coming here to post that the Josephina MX doesn't look like May at all to me, and that I'll have a hard time adjusting if that's where Jeph goes with this.

Whereas the spear-wielding barbarian (who really SHOULD hook up with Bembo) felt completely like May to me. I can map May's current face to that one, but not to the Josephina.

EDIT: I just re-read the "May as a hologram" strips because you linked to them. I'm freaking out a bit that it was 7 years ago. How did that happen?
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2020, 22:50 by Gus_Smedstad »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

That Josefina MX chassis is very, very close to May's amazon fantasy self, isn't it? I wonder if she'd seen some adverts for the model online and had subconsciously fallen in love with it probably close to on-the-spot? That said, I'm wondering if she is going to have difficulty adjusting to the differing physical dimensions for a while like a human with a growth spurt!

Like others on the board, I also wonder if she'll protest at using Roko and Beeps' loyalty card points because it belongs to them and she doesn't want to potentially cause them problems in the future. Like others, I also wonder if May could find the chance to see if the new chassis has a tears emulator!

I saw the name tag on the sales AI and got to wondering how AIs get their names.

FWIW, all of the AIs who have names and have mentioned how they got them have a story about being named by human associates or (as in May's case) we've actually seen them named by their human.

My guess is that AIs have names that are basically a serial number of sorts and that is how they identify themselves to each other (and is very much sufficient for them). However, if they need a human name, it is usually given to them by a close associate or employer. When you think how humans get their first legal name the process isn't that different really!

Huh. I was just coming here to post that the Josephina MX doesn't look like May at all to me, and that I'll have a hard time adjusting if that's where Jeph goes with this.

It will be interesting to see if the chassis conforms better to your expectations when May is inside it. We have speculated on the forum that there are subtle things like face shape settings and body posture that the AI sets the chassis to do that we don't see otherwise, meaning that two identical chassis occupied by two different AIs will end up looking noticeably different.

EDIT
Fixed dodgy punctuation
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020, 00:05 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

EDIT: I just re-read the "May as a hologram" strips because you linked to them. I'm freaking out a bit that it was 7 years ago. How did that happen?
One day at a time.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Whereas the spear-wielding barbarian (who really SHOULD hook up with Bembo) felt completely like May to me. I can map May's current face to that one, but not to the Josephina.

I was thinking the Josephina fell somewhere between May's current chassis[1] and her fantasy one. Perhaps she'll have chromatophor control and we'll be back to her familiar blue hue.

[1] I think it was literally called a reform chassis.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

If you go back to the beginning everyone looks different, but seriously this would be May’s 3rd form since we met her.  She’ll look different, but we’ll get used to it just like Momo and Winslow.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Hmmm.  If given the option of a reconditioned Bubbles-type body, which fits "Tall with big tits", would May take it if it came in blue?  If yes, would this be a good thing?

Bubbles' body is almost certainly mil-spec and originally constructed by an actual defense contractor.  It is not a consumer good.
The closest one might get, IMO, is one of those Hummvees made specifically for the civilian market.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

the Josephina MX doesn't look like May at all to me

I'm with Gus on this. My immediate response to the look of the Josefina was "nope, can't relate that face to May, too swarthy".
If that's where we're headed, I do hope y'all are right about the inhabitant influencing the look of the chassis...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

FWIW, all of the AIs who have names and have mentioned how they got them have a story about being named by human associates or (as in May's case) we've actually seen them named by their human.

My guess is that AIs have names that are basically a serial number of sorts and that is how they identify themselves to each other (and is very much sufficient for them). However, if they need a human name, it is usually given to them by a close associate or employer. When you think how humans get their first legal name the process isn't that different really!

you are 100% correct. of the Embodied AIs we've gotten Anatomy Pages for, each of them (except for Pintsize) are registered with a serial number and a chassis model.
May is AI ID:x53ufojwftutOou5.636 AnthrPC[sic] ReformChassis Female Model 811a.
Bubbles is CM-1776 Autonomous Combat Droid Mk 1 SN:118375-A.
Gordon is "CutiePie SnuggleSpider" Chassis SN:040206446.
Momo is interesting, and perhaps a bit worrying for May: While Momo is running on a Idoru Custom APex 7M Chassis now, her 'UUID' is still "Sony KawaiiPC HPC-4100x SN:SD94637".

I was thinking the Josephina fell somewhere between May's current chassis[1] and her fantasy one. Perhaps she'll have chromatophor control and we'll be back to her familiar blue hue.

[1] I think it was literally called a reform chassis.
as for the hair color on the Josefina, I'm gonna point out that the hair on Momo's Idoru chassis became more saturated as she was 'installed' for the test drive, so I'm pretty sure you're right.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020, 17:46 by Tyr »
Just going through life.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

can i just say, it's really nice to see Beepatrice feeling so much more in her element here.
like, she's such a fucking hot mess, and i hate to jinx it by pointing it out where she could hear it, but she's ON IT here, and I hope that's recognized more actively once it's said and done.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

"Buy yourself a new ass. You deserve it."

I love the background signs so much.

I didn't even notice this. I kinda love that.

Wait.  More than human standard # of holes is an available option??!??  Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Lads, I gotta be honest, in May's position I would certainly be asking for the holiest option.

Holiest as in most hole-filled, for those playing along at home.

May's more likely to, ah, not bowdlerize herself.

This is a refreshing glass of word juice. Kudos.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I kinda have a bad feeling about this. I'm almost wondering if that thing we talked about in the past is going to bite May: she goes to "transfer" into the other body and discovers she can't because of a software block on her chassis, or some sort, that was "put there" by the MDOC/DAIC.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Wait - I'm seeing the Josephina as already blue.  Did Jeph change something?  The hair's darker, but the skin tone seems right on. 

Which is probably foreshadowing. 

Or maybe fore-hueing...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

When I saw the strip last night, the skin tone was blue, but much darker. Now it’s the same shade as May’s current chassis.

Also, I can’t remember if it was “Josephina” last night. It’s “Josefina” this morning.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing "dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid" are from Macross?

EDIT to avoid double posting.

Turns out the human body has 7 'through-holes'
<snip>

Yay Topology!

That was fascinating! Thanks! (I have to admit I always thought the human body was homeomorphic to a simple torus)

Turns out the human body has 7 'through-holes'
<snip>
Oh hey, it's a menorah! :o

I had the same thought!

Honestly though, I doubt the ancient Israelites had the anatomical knowledge to make the connection (the tearducts aren't obvious, imo).  Not so sure about the math-skills - iirc, the people who copied the Talmud used checksums two millennia ago already! (Otoh, I doubt that anybody in antiquity had a clear enough concept of open sets to do modern topology)
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020, 10:25 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

When I saw the strip last night, the skin tone was blue, but much darker. Now it’s the same shade as May’s current chassis.

Also, I can’t remember if it was “Josephina” last night. It’s “Josefina” this morning.
I captured last night about 0:15 after posting (8:15 my time) and it matches what I get now: Josefina.  If he changed something, he did it in the first 15 minutes after posting.  I don't remember any color differences either. 

But we know that Bubbles can sew a new head of hair roots and then grow to length in a vat, so hair color is changeable if May can't change it as a sale option.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

Like others on the board, I also wonder if she'll protest at using Roko and Beeps' loyalty card points because it belongs to them and she doesn't want to potentially cause them problems in the future.
That's not what would motivate May.  She's more likely to refuse the points and go with a different model so she won't be beholden to Roko or Beeps in the future.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It was Josefina on Patreon yesterday, so I think it was that all along.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

as for the hair color on the Josefina, I'm gonna point out that the hair on Momo's Idoru chassis became more saturated as she was 'installed' for the test drive, so I'm pretty sure you're right.

We saw that on Winslow as well, and my guess is that chromatophores are standard on newer models, so if May goes with the Josefina, my guess is we at least won't have to get used to a color change.

Bubbles is a skilled hairstylist as well, so May can essentially get her old hair back whenever she wants.

I think what makes this body seem like a bad fit for May is the facial expression. I don't think she would be caught dead with that smile (and the eyebrows are huge).

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

I don't think she would be caught dead with that smile

Unless she goes back to pretending she's an Anime maid.  :-)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

So, definitely not, then.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.

I really can't recall a previous strip with such a crowd of AIs in it and absolutely no humans.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Comic’s up. Get ‘em outta there!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Lovely comic! Looks like May is working towards loving herself a bit more :)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Aww, that was cute.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference

Guess someone owes Winslow another apology, huh?

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference

Yay!

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

No.
That logic is part of why she was trying to give away her new chassis.
May was allowed to be upset that Winslow unthinkingly flaunted his privilege, and she apologized for blowing her top. Winslow THANKED HER FOR IT, because it was a toll-gate on his road to doing something that makes him feel good about himself.
If May stays humble about it, she's in the clear in my book.

Now, if May were work on her Kusanagi Matoko impression so she can puppet the condemned building of her current body to demonstrate how very shoddy the Reform Chassis models have become, I'd consider that a further positive.
Just going through life.

Gyrre

the Josephina MX doesn't look like May at all to me

I'm with Gus on this. My immediate response to the look of the Josefina was "nope, can't relate that face to May, too swarthy".
If that's where we're headed, I do hope y'all are right about the inhabitant influencing the look of the chassis...
......."Swarthy"? :confused:
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Comic’s up. Get ‘em outta there!

May should be more appreciative.  It was Beepatrice who brought the strippers.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I probably don't actually want to know the answer to this, but since it's come up twice now I can't help wondering... Where would they put the extra orifices on robot bodies that have more than the human standard number of holes?
Arm pits, knee pits, belly button...elbow pits?  An orifice for each butt cheek?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster

Also, are their names legally bound to them, like with humans (we can legally change our names, but it's a process)? Do AIs that weren't previously AnthroPCs also have serial numbers, or are those bound only to their chassis?

And on the subject of "sales AI": what's the acceptable term to use for that? Salesman, saleswoman, and salesperson seem wrong, and "salesbot" feels offensive.

Sales associate might work. Or maybe sales representative or rep.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2020, 23:05 by SeattleCrochetWoman »

BenRG

• coprophage

I think that May walked a thousand miles in terms of her character development in today's strip. She's admitted that other people love her and she's allowed herself to admit that it's okay for her to have nice things and, more importantly, it's okay for her to want nice things for herself.

I honestly hope that we never lose this self-deprecating side to May because, IMO, it's key to her personality that she's come to feel that she should put others first and that benefits to her are greater if they also benefit others. However, I do hope that she loses her self-hate and learns to see the good (and bad) that others see in her a lot more clearly.

I'm hoping that Winslow refers back to that incident in a wholly-nice and non-accusatory way and, in the process, succeeds in making May feel a hypocrite. Winslow then tells her that it's okay; her anger at the time is still understandable and excusable - She should focus on her current cause for happiness. A moment ensues.
~~~~

artag

• Not quite a lurker

It may be fancy .. but does it have a Butt Emblem ?

BenRG

• coprophage

Sales associate might work. Or maybe sales representative or rep.

"Salesperson" works fine for me.

It may be fancy .. but does it have a Butt Emblem?

Or a wireless charger boob? Let's face it, Roko is running around in a Rolls Royce of a body!
~~~~

Gus_Smedstad

• Furry furrier

I was initially OK with today’s strip, but having recently re-read the “May as a hologram” strips, I’m thinking it’s actually wildly inconsistent with May’s character. May having trouble with people accepting her, sure. May feeling guilty? No. About being “fancy?” What’s fancier than a fighter jet body? A body that costs $79 million?

It’s not about personal growth, either, it’s about May suddenly exhibiting neuroses that are at odds with her previous neuroses. It’s like Pintsize suddenly becoming a prude.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I wouldn't go that far...

But it's entirely reasonable that there's been some reform in her self-image.  Yes, the fighter jet was a fantasy, and would be fancy in one respect, but she's still going to be an ex-con working at a convenience store in the body of an amazon. 

She may have just developed a sense of situational appropriateness. 

Of course, a new body like this could signal a change of career - May the model?  She's going to have to adapt to the new way people see her, and that might be part of the problem.  She's used to being seen as a decrepit functionary and seems to thinks that, as an ex-con, she deserves such.  Not as bad as falling apart, of course - she just wanted a body that worked (hell, so do I anymore), but this is definitely a step or three beyond the comfort zone she's developed since release. 

And she's always had trouble with change. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Hentai has an awful lot of answers to your question...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage

Of course, a new body like this could signal a change of career - May the model?

I like the idea of her maybe stumbling backwards into it. Sven's publicist sees her and she ends up on the front cover of his new album. Combined with a martial arts shoot she does, she finds herself with a few job offers. The ex-con background just makes her more interesting to the agencies!

Just to make things ultra-embarrassing (or ultra-flattering) for her, Sven really, really likes the new look. He likes it to the point where she gets a sort of informal job description of "Sven Bianchi's Muse". Dora, it should be noted, finds it hilariously funny.
~~~~

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?

Just to make things ultra-embarrassing (or ultra-flattering) for her, Sven really, really likes the new look.
The question is, can Sven bring himself to benefit from the new body, knowing it's May in there?  Or would it be too weird for them, causing much angst on both sides?  It could push May over the edge if she advances on Sven and is rebuffed; maybe we'd see the 50%+ hate-filled May return?

Zengar

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I was initially OK with today’s strip, but having recently re-read the “May as a hologram” strips, I’m thinking it’s actually wildly inconsistent with May’s character. May having trouble with people accepting her, sure. May feeling guilty? No. About being “fancy?” What’s fancier than a fighter jet body? A body that costs $79 million?

It’s not about personal growth, either, it’s about May suddenly exhibiting neuroses that are at odds with her previous neuroses. It’s like Pintsize suddenly becoming a prude.

I think it actually is in character.

First off, while it hasn't been on page much, as part of her parole May has been going to therapy the entire time she's been embodied. Second, and I haven't seen this brought up much, May wasn't a person before we first saw her, without a name, a body, or likely even a preferred avatar since they dumped her into that maid hologram. Most people remember that she didn't have a name before Dale gave her one, but the bit between Roko and "the body assignment algorithm f***er" where he explains that AIs that had bodies before going to robot jail get put back into them, and therefore May is a niche case among niche cases seems to have largely been missed by people. Before her "impulse control problem," May was likely just a serial numbered box sitting in a server rack of some bank or large corporation, (judging by the amount she attempted to embezzle) Her entire arc is about her growing from just being a "sentience" into being a person.

It is clear that at first May latches on to Dale as her moral compass, and one of the first things he tells her is to use money for things she actually needs rather than luxuries. Panel (3? 4? are they separate panels?) is May accepting that she may have grown enough impulse control to trust herself to make such decisions now.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, thoughtful new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Comic's up. Happy Birthday Grandma!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster

The potted cactus shelf is interesting.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Dale, WHY DID YOU BUY THE HATS ANYWAY?

:-D :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping there won't be a complication on Friday's strip...

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

May will probably laugh her head off at those hats, it appeals to her sense of humor.

Comic's up. Happy Birthday Grandma!

It's a nice callback to this old strip :D

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

The potted cactus shelf is interesting.

They're all named Arthur.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

I really was expecting another "tall May" non sequitur comment from Mar in the third panel...I foresee neuroses and being intimidated in her future.

What the hell are YOU staring at?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up