THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Mayvellous New Chassis Adventure!

Sorta humanoid but not particularly close to human-looking (Seven and Jeremy)
- 0 (0%)
Basically the same level of fidelity but in a much better state of repair (Melon)
- 4 (10.8%)
High fidelity but with uniquely synthetic touches (Beepatrice and Millie)
- 5 (13.5%)
High-fidelity but still distinctly synthetic (old Roko)
- 5 (13.5%)
High fidelity but something distinctly different from human average (Bubbles and Yay)
- 6 (16.2%)
Very high-fidelity; only the colour marks as synthetic (new Roko)
- 10 (27%)
"Oh my Turing, they've got the dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid/UCAV on sale!"
- 6 (16.2%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4341 to 4345 (31st August to 4th September 2020)  (Read 23762 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Why wait? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

There seems to be a genuine problem in Northampton with sourcing party goods. Remember the only banner that Marten and Pintsize could get for something celebrated Arbour Day some time in the early 2000s?

Meanwhile, we know at least one person who is going to need some adjustment time: Marigold. She is weirded out by the thought of a tall May! It's interesting that both she and Dale know of the Josefina-MX chassis. Maybe they had both had their eye on it as something that May might like? Certainly neither of them seem surprised by the choice.

The potted cactus shelf is interesting.

They're all named Arthur.

I'm wondering if the AIs have a shared social media platform ("No biologics allowed!") in which Bubbles shared some photos and philosophical ruminations on Arthur. It started a craze.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Momo doesn’t condone Grandpa on Grandpa violence?  As long as it’s consensual and no one is being exploited what’s to object?

Boxer

• Plantmonster

Momo doesn’t condone Grandpa on Grandpa violence?  As long as it’s consensual and no one is being exploited what’s to object?
Ultimate Grandpa Fighting League - Proudly supported by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I really was expecting another "tall May" non sequitur comment from Mar in the third panel...I foresee neuroses and being intimidated in her future.

May is still living at Dale's place, right? I am sure Marigold won't be at all concerned by her boyfriend sharing his home with a tall robot amazon with a human-standard number of holes.

BenRG

• coprophage

Any jealousy/insecurity regarding May has long since passed. She's a friend now (and Dale's surrogate younger sister); Marigold is more having problems dealing with the thought of a May who is suddenly a very different hug prospect than before!
~~~~

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Wait.  More than human standard # of holes is an available option??!??  Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I probably don't actually want to know the answer to this, but since it's come up twice now I can't help wondering... Where would they put the extra orifices on robot bodies that have more than the human standard number of holes?

Hentai has an awful lot of answers to your question...
No. Just no.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Any jealousy/insecurity regarding May has long since passed. She's a friend now (and Dale's surrogate younger sister); Marigold is more having problems dealing with the thought of a May who is suddenly a very different hug prospect than before!

Meanwhile, May is likely to discover the downside of hugs no longer naturally placing her in optimal melon proximity.

Jub3r7

• Not quite a lurker
  • We'll burn that bridge when we come to it

A tall May is theoretically a problem for the same reason we don't want a giant pintsize. i'm sure she'll behave.... it's 8:33 am and i haven't slept yet

Tyr

• Larger than most fish

Meanwhile, May is likely to discover the downside of hugs no longer naturally placing her in optimal melon proximity.

a simple enough problem to solve: Simply take a seat before requisitioning a hug. :P
Just going through life.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Ultimate Grandpa Fighting League - Proudly supported by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
The Grandpas are mostly OK with it as long as they get to use the gear they had the last time they fought each other.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I really was expecting another "tall May" non sequitur comment from Mar in the third panel...I foresee neuroses and being intimidated in her future.

I'm half-expecting a "DAMN, LOOK AT THE CANS ON THAT ONE" callback, though May was still a projection at the time of the first one.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened

The Grandpas are mostly OK with it as long as they get to use the gear they had the last time they fought each other.

It's all either too large or too small now, depending on where it sits, so it's pretty comical to look at.  And the first blow that connects knocks some protective equipment askew, so there are a lot of timeouts and makeshift adjustments, mostly involving shoelaces and duct tape. 

It's broadcast by the GMA association (Grandparent's Martial Arts).  It's actually pretty slow and boring, but there's plenty of time for polygrip, depends and support hose commercials.

**Disclaimer**  OK, I know lots of grandparents are fit and active, but I'm the child of youngest children of large families.  Growing up in the 70's, all four of my grandparents had been born in the previous century... so "decrepit" kinda went with the territory. 

cybersmurf

Why am I expecting a "We're terribly sorry, but it's basically impossible to transfer you out of this body. Legally."?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Carl-E

• Awakened

The moral equivalent of an ankle bracelet?  An "FBI" warning at the beginning of transfer?  I could see that. 

So then they'd have to try to get around it legally with the body assignment jerk, and it's a pile of red tape to get one line of code changed (basically a MAC address). 

...until the Yay-I gets involved.  And (as with nearly everything involving them) it's got morally dubious overtones. 

I mean, I could see Jeph going that route.  The team of characters he's assembled are certainly up for it.  But I hope it's going elsewhere! 

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I think/hope that May gets her new chassis without any complications. She has already been through a lot, and while Jeph enjoys being mean to his characters, he doesn't really tend to drag it out either.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster

Im guessing but I think New May will be about Dale's height

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Forumites: May is so traumatised - she keeps expecting something to go wrong!

Also:

I kinda have a bad feeling about this. I'm almost wondering if that thing we talked about in the past is going to bite May: she goes to "transfer" into the other body and discovers she can't because of a software block on her chassis, or some sort, that was "put there" by the MDOC/DAIC.
Why am I expecting a "We're terribly sorry, but it's basically impossible to transfer you out of this body. Legally."?

BTW I don't really think Jeph has been "mean" to his character recently...?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Carl-E

• Awakened

Most recent incident would probably be Roko's crush and subsequent body angst. 

Or Elliot's issues, but most of that's self-induced through shy awkwardness. 

Also, early new comic!  Hi, Lemon!  Pretty sure May's not gonnna need your services - any upgrade is an improvement! 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Comic's up. Lemon is back!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2020, 21:08 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Hi Lemon! I'm sure May would love to hear ALL ABOUT depressed nuclear reactors.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Lemon is about to get punched....  :lol:

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

I don't know if it will be a legal issue, but I'm getting a very strong feeling that something is going to go wrong during the transfer. Hopefully either I'm wrong or Lemon, May, Ana, Dale, Marigold, and Roko can sort it out.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!

...so we're about due for some disaster or other, then!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Also:

I kinda have a bad feeling about this. I'm almost wondering if that thing we talked about in the past is going to bite May: she goes to "transfer" into the other body and discovers she can't because of a software block on her chassis, or some sort, that was "put there" by the MDOC/DAIC.

Last time I can think of it happening was when they couldn't recover Bubbles's memories.  Otherwise, the characters in general seem to be covered in plot armor.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Gyrre

"Pop pop!"
"You know that's probably what his grandkids call him, right?"
"Oh no."
"Oh no, Pop-pop! What happened?"
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

Or maybe, without a governing AI, some kind of subroutine runs amok and makes May's old/current body go up in flames.... If there's enough charge left to overheat something.

At least Lemon didn't sing yet. But would a soothing song from her count as lemonade?
.... I'll show myself out, that was horrible even by my standards.

BenRG

• coprophage

Poor May. Yes, on an intellectual level, I'm sure that she understands that Lemon has to go through the checklist properly but to be this close and be held back by bureaucratic box-ticking must be immensely frustrating for her! As for Lemon, I suspect that having clients scream at her in frustration must be such a common occurrence that, being Lemon, she's come to assume it is a normal part of the transfer process and thus proof of why she needs to be extra careful in her pre-transfer counselling!

Here's a prediction: Lemon is going to guide May through the transfer process next week. We'll have a week of strips set in cyberspace with May considering various customisation bar-gages and check-boxes with Lemon giving her own opinions leading to May modifying her decisions. Before going out of setup mode, May will thank Lemon for her help and ask her never to communicate with her again as she's reached her limit of 'unrelenting and unaware cheerfulness'. She'll also later tell Winslow that he's a much better 'process shrink' than Lemon!
~~~~

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication

If the past is any indication, cue at least 2 weeks of webcomics about anybody other than May before we get to the comic where she actually gets her body.

Then cue evil laugh from Jeph.  :evil:  :evil: :evil:

:wink:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I would SO love plot armor in reallife. I would never wear anything else ! :-D

If the past is any indication, cue at least 2 weeks of webcomics about anybody other than May before we get to the comic where she actually gets her body.
I'd actually like that. May was introduced as anime and her getting a regular sized if not oversized body takes some getting used to.
Carpe Diem

BenRG

• coprophage

FWIW, I have seen indications on Jeph's twitter feed that we might be going back to Elliott and Clinton failing at interpersonal relationships for a while.
~~~~

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building

Risk of trauma though- imagine trying to purchase plot armour and discovering you really aren’t the hero of your life’s story...

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication

Last time I can think of it happening was when they couldn't recover Bubbles's memories.  Otherwise, the characters in general seem to be covered in plot armor.

I'd say that the last time was May's body deteriorating to the point that they couldn't afford to keep waiting for Roko's involvement to change things.

It's comparable to the insurance company telling you the treatment for your chronic/terminal illness isn't covered so you have to rely on crowdsourcing, which definitely is on the unpleasant side of things.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Why, though? Apart from Roko, who needed trauma counselling because of the accident, all the other transfers we've seen haven't seemed to need any mediator or assistance - they just hooked up a cable and transferred. So I don't see why Lemon should be here at all.

Boxer

• Plantmonster

Why, though? Apart from Roko, who needed trauma counselling because of the accident, all the other transfers we've seen haven't seemed to need any mediator or assistance - they just hooked up a cable and transferred. So I don't see why Lemon should be here at all.
Beeps said she hated her second body, and she couldn't cope and just switched to a third and it was a perfect fit. 
Its probably good for the store to reduce "returns" and resolve user issues before they walk out of the store in a body that is not suited for them.

Maybe its also a new problem with body integration that they didn't encounter until recently. I assume body switching on robots that have upgraded or changed careers (server to embodied) is a recent thing and the occurance of "body integration" with robots who remain in a single chasis for a long time, which is creating a unique incompatibility problem thats not easily detectable or resolved.

Or Roko asked Lemon to be there, cause she herself didn't want May to have an issues with body transfer May is already beating herself up with guilt and been through a lot in less than 24 hours. (which is 7 weeks of the comic btw)
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2020, 02:46 by Boxer »

Gyrre

Plot bunnies (and possible procrastination), man.

They get me when I write, too.
a real-ass gaddam sword

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

The team of characters he's assembled are certainly up for it.  But I hope it's going elsewhere!

"The only way she is allowed a new body is if something happens to this one!"

"Really?? AI-Vengers... Disassemble!!!"
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.

Also:

That was second, but most recent is Roko's body situation.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

cybersmurf

I never realised lemon (and therefore melon) looked so similar to May. Makes me wonder whether that's just another color iteration of the same model (maybe just older). Makes me wonder whether that model is just a cheap government issue chassis, for AIs with no need for fancy. And May got one of the run down, retired pieces. 'cuz dem cheap,and "almost too good for a felon".

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Though if May and Melon have the same chassis type, that raises the question of why May’s ass is the only part that hasn’t fallen off.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

I think it has more to do with Jeph's tendency to draw all the characters looking alike.  JJ isn't the only one; the creator of Sunstone (a comic which I love, FWIW) seems to have 3 stock female characters and all his women are tiny variations on one of Anne, Alison, and Lisa.

I'm waiting for May to make the connection to Melon and then realize Melon and Lemon think they're sisters.  (Products of the same batch?)  As spacey as Melon is, and as unrelenting happy as Lemon is, with Lemon already rubbing May the wrong way, I can see May annoying Melon partly as revenge on Lemon and partly as incompatible personalities.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Risk of trauma though- imagine trying to purchase plot armour and discovering you really aren’t the hero of your life’s story...

Then be the villain.  It’s a lot of fun and you don’t have to try hard.

I don’t foresee anything like a bureaucratic pop up blocker to get in the way and validate May’s cynicism, but I wonder if she’ll have some dysmorphia like Roko once this is done.

Beast_Reborn

• Plantmonster

Perhaps transfer counseling is legally required for May, similar to how she's legally required to attend the AI support group. It's kind of odd that no one mentioned this in the comic, though. It might get clarified next week or whenever this storyline continues.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Perhaps the Rule of Funny

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

I was going to make a comment about getting "bloom into you'd again" but I don't think anybody else would get the joke.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I was going to make a comment about getting "bloom into you'd again" but I don't think anybody else would get the joke.

O ye of little faith...

(I watched it earlier this year.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Lemon is probably an employee of BodyHub.  We didn't see Beeps' transfer, and the other body changes we've seen could have been done somewhere else.

It's also possible it's only done as a transfer from a humanoid chassis - Momo and Winslow both went from much more toylike chassis to full-size humanoid.  Uncanny Valley-esque situations where the new body is just similar enough to the old one while still being noticeably off are harder than going to a completely different type of chassis?

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference

Lemon is probably an employee of BodyHub.  We didn't see Beeps' transfer, and the other body changes we've seen could have been done somewhere else.

It's also possible it's only done as a transfer from a humanoid chassis - Momo and Winslow both went from much more toylike chassis to full-size humanoid.  Uncanny Valley-esque situations where the new body is just similar enough to the old one while still being noticeably off are harder than going to a completely different type of chassis?

Yeah I've felt that disconnect when I've worked at another 7/11 that mirrors mine but not ALL the way.

The  feeling of "Wow this is just slightly off/ not right" was nauseating.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

O ye of little faith...

(I watched it earlier this year.)

After finishing the anime I ranted for a moment about "no friggin payoff." Then I ordered the entire manga series off of amazon.

Where I found out the final volume wouldn't be released for another four months.

(fortunately, it came out in august so I finally got my ending, but still, way to drag it out.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up