THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Mayvellous New Chassis Adventure!

Sorta humanoid but not particularly close to human-looking (Seven and Jeremy)
- 0 (0%)
Basically the same level of fidelity but in a much better state of repair (Melon)
- 4 (10.8%)
High fidelity but with uniquely synthetic touches (Beepatrice and Millie)
- 5 (13.5%)
High-fidelity but still distinctly synthetic (old Roko)
- 5 (13.5%)
High fidelity but something distinctly different from human average (Bubbles and Yay)
- 6 (16.2%)
Very high-fidelity; only the colour marks as synthetic (new Roko)
- 10 (27%)
"Oh my Turing, they've got the dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid/UCAV on sale!"
- 6 (16.2%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4341 to 4345 (31st August to 4th September 2020)  (Read 23772 times)

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

This reference went straight over my head
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Bloom into You is the title of a recent Japanese yuri manga and anime.

As often happens, the anime ending is unsatisfying - this is typically because the adaptation overtakes the writing of the manga it's based on.  In this case I haven't checked out the manga to compare...

Of course, there have been many delays caused by this year's problems.  The English publication of the Given manga is the one which I've found most frustrating (still waiting for the volume that takes it beyond the anime).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

Bloom into You is the title of a recent Japanese yuri manga and anime.

As often happens, the anime ending is unsatisfying - this is typically because the adaptation overtakes the writing of the manga it's based on.  In this case I haven't checked out the manga to compare...

As near as I can tell it was one of those seasonal series that simply didn't get another season. The anime is very faithful to the source manga.

Of course, there have been many delays caused by this year's problems.  The English publication of the Given manga is the one which I've found most frustrating (still waiting for the volume that takes it beyond the anime).

In this case, the anime ended in 2018 with the manga ending in 2019. I'm not certain if the four month gap between the release of volume seven and volume eight of the official English version of the Manga was due to covid or not.

Beast_Reborn

• Plantmonster

Lemon is probably an employee of BodyHub.  We didn't see Beeps' transfer, and the other body changes we've seen could have been done somewhere else.

Not likely unless BodyHub either sells or employs a whole lot of nuclear reactors. Either possibility seems worrisome.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

So I don't see why Lemon should be here at all.
Beeps said she hated her second body, and she couldn't cope and just switched to a third and it was a perfect fit. 
Its probably good for the store to reduce "returns" and resolve user issues before they walk out of the store in a body that is not suited for them.

Maybe its also a new problem with body integration that they didn't encounter until recently. I assume body switching on robots that have upgraded or changed careers (server to embodied) is a recent thing and the occurance of "body integration" with robots who remain in a single chasis for a long time, which is creating a unique incompatibility problem thats not easily detectable or resolved.

Or Roko asked Lemon to be there, cause she herself didn't want May to have an issues with body transfer May is already beating herself up with guilt and been through a lot in less than 24 hours. (which is 7 weeks of the comic btw)
The first possibility doesn't seem likely to me, because from what we've seen previously in the comic that process would normally play out over days or weeks, not in a few minutes. It would make sense to offer it as an after-sale service, but it's not going to be something that gets resolved before they leave the store.
The second one seems reasonable, although as Beast_Reborn pointed out, it probably shouldn't then be Lemon doing that job.
I can't envision the third one at all. If Roko was behind it, I'm pretty sure she would have been asking for anyone but Lemon.

Lemon is pretty much the Beepatrice of body image counselling - lots of good intentions but awful at the actual job. (I'm sure she does a lot better with the nuclear reactors and dark matter detectors.) While Roko doesn't dislike her, there's no way she'd recommend her to anyone else experiencing body image issues.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Poll Results Post
The Mayvellous New Chassis Adventure!

1) Very high-fidelity; only the colour marks as synthetic (new Roko) - 10 (27%)
=2) "Oh my Turing, they've got the dual-mode Seeker-15 humanoid/UCAV on sale!" - 6 (16.2%)
=2) High fidelity but something distinctly different from human average (Bubbles and Yay) - 6 (16.2%)
=4) High fidelity but with uniquely synthetic touches (Beepatrice and Millie) - 5 (13.5%)
=4) High-fidelity but still distinctly synthetic (old Roko) - 5 (13.5%)
6) Basically the same level of fidelity but in a much better state of repair (Melon) - 4 (10.8%)
7) Other (please specify in comments) - 1 (2.7%)
x) Sorta humanoid but not particularly close to human-looking (Seven and Jeremy) - 0 (0%)

I think that this week's results were distorted a bit by the fact that May's choice was clear by Wednesday. However, I did find it interesting how close the numbers stayed for most of the poll's period of being open. It's clear that the forumites had a very broadly mixed view on what was best for May and what she, as a character, wanted (including very different ideas about her attitude towards being humanoid in the long term).

Overall, a very revealing poll, IMO!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Wasn't May having an "other people need it more" reaction to the fundraiser? Will she be looking for ways to pay it forward?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I can see May doing more volunteer work (like Roko and Winslow) once she has a body that actually functions properly

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I can see May doing more volunteer work (like Roko and Winslow) once she has a body that actually functions properly
Or, possibly, jacking off more guys. It is still May, after all.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

Or a combination thereof...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

It's good to have hobbies.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

It's good to have other hobbies, too

FYP
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

When Jeph introduced May to the comic I loathed her on irritation alone.

This is one of my favourite strips ever.

Well played, Jacques.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung

I keep forgetting May is several hundred strips "older" than Bubbles. Sure, especially in the beginning May was nothing but abrasive, but it seems we're in the middle of her redemption arc.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

"Be-titted"

(that's all...)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

"Be-titted"

Well, she did ask for them, after all.  I'm just waiting for her to ask for them to be made bigger. 

I'd be willing to bet her next move, after escaping the crowd at BodyHub, is to hunt down Sven.  Gotta try out that new equipment and verify it works, y'know?

And what has happened to her old chassis?  What will she do with it?  Does it have to be returned to the prison system?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I think that ere too long, she may want a reduction.  Those things look like they'd get in the way.  "Be careful what you wish for" and all.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And what has happened to her old chassis?  What will she do with it?  Does it have to be returned to the prison system?

And there's your answer.

I... don't think they're going to give you anything on trade for it, to be honest...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.

"Be-titted"

Damn it Joe, you got here first.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Lemon is probably an employee of BodyHub.  We didn't see Beeps' transfer, and the other body changes we've seen could have been done somewhere else.

Not likely unless BodyHub either sells or employs a whole lot of nuclear reactors. Either possibility seems worrisome.

Possible it's a side job or volunteer gig or a contract situation where she comes in for consultation as needed.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?

Lemon is probably an employee of BodyHub.
I expect she's an independent contractor and working like many psych folks do, on an as-needed basis through her own company/practice.  Or perhaps she has a contract with BodyHub such that she can be called in if an employee discovers the customer has so many of the check-boxes ticked they screen for.  Either way, we still all want to know where Lemon lives, since it's apparently not with Melon and she does manifest in a physical form when needed.
This space intentionally left almost blank.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up